Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I was going to call it 「WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE」 but this is good too.

There's that one joke creepypasta where the reader is told they're going through their house but everything described rapidly turns into spiders. "You pour yourself a refreshing glass of water from the tap. The water is spiders. The glass is spiders. The tap is spiders."

Am I spiders? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Am I spiders? :ohdear:

My friend, to know that you'll have to read to the end of the story, The Spiders At The End Of The Book.

The book is also spiders.

I also just assumed Secco's melting power was starting to work on a human only because they were already a walking corpse? I forgot he threatened to do that to another (living) person.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my general assumption is that he can activate oasis on a lot of poo poo, but it takes a lot more effort and he needs to be closer to do it on, like, a person

usually a lot of the time my go-to is 'they can do this but it takes more energy' and it seems to track pretty well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Secco says that the reason Bruno's starting to melt is because Secco is getting closer to him, as well as Bruno spending an extended period of time underground in all this liquefying dirt. It stands to reason that Secco could replicate that effect on a person directly by just digging his fingers into them

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Johnny Joestar posted:

my general assumption is that he can activate oasis on a lot of poo poo, but it takes a lot more effort and he needs to be closer to do it on, like, a person

Expect My Mom posted:

Secco says that the reason Bruno's starting to melt is because Secco is getting closer to him, as well as Bruno spending an extended period of time underground in all this liquefying dirt. It stands to reason that Secco could replicate that effect on a person directly by just digging his fingers into them
The Grateful DeadThankful Dead's aging effect also works like this (touching the target is more effective), so there's precedence!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It always been reasonably consistent that the power or severity of a stand's ability is not an absolute constant and varies depending on context. Although this is usually in the context of the stamina or health of the user.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Counterpoint, the PSX fighting game is way better than Eyes of Heaven.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why did they cut to Secco's foot getting slashed after Buccellati zips down away from Secco? What did that?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Bruno got a hit in on Secco. It's just shorthand for "Bruno isn't getting completely overwhelmed."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

How selfish of him to leave Jotaro to raise their egg as a single father.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey we finally are getting stands

That's the stupidest loving stand JoJo Sr.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It looks more like he is denying a fatal wound he actually has been inflicted with than that he is just being sad to death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Still better than the New Kakyoin ending where he beats DIO but then DIO is all "Haha, I'm still alive, though." and kills him anyway.

Also, Eyes of Heaven's "everyone lives" ending makes no sense to me. Ignoring that Kosaku lives, meaning that Hayato is still a creepy kid in a strained family, Jonathan living should mean the rest of the parts can't happen since DIO can't steal his body and indirectly give everyone else a Stand. Giorno also couldn't be born.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Still better than the New Kakyoin ending where he beats DIO but then DIO is all "Haha, I'm still alive, though." and kills him anyway.

Also, Eyes of Heaven's "everyone lives" ending makes no sense to me. Ignoring that Kosaku lives, meaning that Hayato is still a creepy kid in a strained family, Jonathan living should mean the rest of the parts can't happen since DIO can't steal his body and indirectly give everyone else a Stand. Giorno also couldn't be born.

over heaven means it's fine though

it literally rewrites reality, causality doesn't matter

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eyes of Heaven threads the needle such that each part gets it's own happy ending, effectively creating eight new separate universes.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 4, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Turtlicious posted:

Agreed. I wish he had a stand that was more battle tactic based. It would fit his personality and fighting style.

Who the gently caress is this stowaway girl?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RC Cola posted:

Agreed. I wish he had a stand that was more battle tactic based. It would fit his personality and fighting style.

Shes a little runaway

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

I mean, he was just poorly utilized. What could be more fitting than infinite hamon filled ghost rope for Joseph?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RC Cola posted:

Joseph Joestar was never a Strong Punch Guy and now his Stand is a literally infinite rope, it's perfect for him

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The best Kakyoin fanfic ending is the one from the 7th Stand User where he just goes to school with Jotaro and your OC at the end. It's even called "I made friends". :unsmith:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

Joseph Joestar was never a Strong Punch Guy and now his Stand is a literally infinite rope, it's perfect for him

Indiana Joneseph Joestar.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Oh. I guess all I've seen is him punch a camera

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
His catchphrase is "your next line is" so a stand that has him fighting with his own stength and wits but sometimes giving him a few extra hints is actually pretty fitting.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

His catchphrase is "your next line is" so a stand that has him fighting with his own stength and wits but sometimes giving him a few extra hints is actually pretty fitting.

Does he ever go back to that "your next line is" stuff?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Does he ever go back to that "your next line is" stuff?

He does it in one fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sirtommygunn posted:

He does it in one fight.

and i'm glad it's just that one because it was wearing out its welcome even by the time part 2 was over

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

Hermit Purple is an extremely useful stand, just because it can't punch things. First off, as people have mentioned it's infinite hamon-transmittable rope. Second, it gives him the power of clairvoyance, which is an amazing out-of-combat utility power that IRL I'd much rather have than just being able to punch good.

And as you saw when Dio used a Purple Hermit-like stand (it's not 100% clear, but people assume that that's Dio using the stand Jonathan Joestar would have had, since he's piloting his body) he doesn't NEED to smash the camera to make a magic camera, a light tap would probably be enough. Joseph is just kind of an idiot, and also he's filthy rich and can afford to buy more cameras. (We're informed that he's "the biggest real estate guy in New York" so he's easily a billionaire. And on top of that, since it's related to Stand research, he might be able to get reimbursed by the Speedwagon Foundation).

Some people semi-jokingly theorize that Joseph only learned Hermit Purple's power because, in his rage that a Japanese guy stole his little girl's heart and took her to the the other end of the world where he can't regularly see her, he bought a bunch of expensive Japanese consumer electronics just to karate chop them into pieces.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And as you saw when Dio used a Purple Hermit-like stand (it's not 100% clear, but people assume that that's Dio using the stand Jonathan Joestar would have had, since he's piloting his body)

that's a thing that people know araki has directly said. i think it was in a jojoveller or something. people can argue about it if he intended it at the time, i guess, but in the grand scheme of things it tracks pretty well and it's whatever beyond that. feels pretty fitting for dio to have a bit of control over that at first but then throw it aside once his own stand asserts itself because he views it as inferior.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm also assuming DIO has a better Hermit Purple than Joseph because he can somehow send his assassins after Joseph with amazing accuracy in multiple countries while Joseph can't find a stationary DIO even when using Hermit Purple in the same city.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-B15xq8h64

Can’t believe I’ve never seen this, it fits so well

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR6mGwsBB_w

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm also assuming DIO has a better Hermit Purple than Joseph because he can somehow send his assassins after Joseph with amazing accuracy in multiple countries while Joseph can't find a stationary DIO even when using Hermit Purple in the same city.
Joseph was an idiot as a young man and this was fifty years and one brain operation by Polnaref later.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the crusaders had been collectively sharing a single brain cell and unfortunately for them it as avdol's, so they had to rely on jotaro's apparent impersonation of intelligence later on

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's two brain cells but Iggy was hogging the other one.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

the crusaders had been collectively sharing a single brain cell and unfortunately for them it as avdol's, so they had to rely on jotaro's apparent impersonation of intelligence later on

they mostly just bumble towards egypt and hope they run into DIO at some point

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yinlock posted:

they mostly just bumble towards egypt and hope they run into DIO at some point

It seems like at one point they're just hoping to beat the information out of one of the many assassins sent after them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

It seems like at one point they're just hoping to beat the information out of one of the many assassins sent after them.

they probably wouldn't even have found the place if DIO didn't have a dog-murdering ice bird as a gatekeeper

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

they probably wouldn't even have found the place if DIO didn't have a dog-murdering ice bird as a gatekeeper

No they would have found it even earlier in the day if Petshop was not there. As the Rich Begger found it quickly and would have reported it to them if Petshop had not killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they would have found it even earlier in the day if Petshop was not there. As the Rich Begger found it quickly and would have reported it to them if Petshop had not killed him.

oh right I forgot about that dude