Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We get ourselves some provisions for the road ahead. No furniture, though.

It's 99 degrees out. We'll slow it down some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaALiLITsoY

Wait, why are they playing the final cutscene?

Here's Sutter's Fort. We've got one more change here, but we already decided we were going to Sacramento.

Oh. It was 1 mile away.

We get an eerily prophetic land claim to make our own.

Our final score. Quite respectable, especially since we avoided any deaths along the way.

And our family actually became successful for many generations!

This ending is bullshit.

Nobody died. Nobody suffered any real hardships. We just ate bacon and looked at the trees and had a good time.

gently caress it. We're going to do this again.

The hardest way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wait a second.

We didn't get there with even a single grandfather clock did we?

I can't believe we failed so badly. This is even worse than that game I played where everyone died before the first landmark.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In today's money our gold strike would've been worth ~$50,000 in total. Congrats goons, we can retire :homebrew:

At least we wised up and got our self onto a board of some sort so we could dip our hands into some of that sweet, sweet frontier graft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That was an anticlimax.

Still, kinda nice to see a run of Oregon Trail go as well as it possibly could have.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Cythereal posted:

That was an anticlimax.

Still, kinda nice to see a run of Oregon Trail go as well as it possibly could have.

Look, you need at least one relatively smooth run to compare/contrast with the "clocks, lol / laudanum for everything" meme runs.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'd say a run where we always do the worst possible options during illness and injuries but then we'd be dead forty miles from Independence

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
That went... well? how did that happen

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
An Oregon Trail run where everything went smoothly, more or less, hmm... that was, unexpected... Guess a bacon and coffee diet worked after all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Now try it as a teacher with 0 skills.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What a failure

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't see it. Not being an idiot actually works.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

And Jimmy did not even die in the cutscenes. What a sad trip.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
At least we have whiskey.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In today's money our gold strike would've been worth ~$50,000 in total. Congrats goons, we can retire :homebrew:

At least we wised up and got our self onto a board of some sort so we could dip our hands into some of that sweet, sweet frontier graft.

Gold inflation is weird. Based on the value of the double eagle at the time, golf was worth about $20.57/troy ounce. A $1,540 gold strike would therefore be something like 74.4975 troy ounces. By that standard, that’s more like $125,000.

It’s still not that great, but I guess it’s a nice bonus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Now try it as a teacher with 0 skills.

No spoilers.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing that struck me about that run is that the least disease RNG I've ever seen in these games. A couple light bouts of cholera and that's it?

Yeah, bullshit. We need a disaster run to show all the ways this game can gently caress you with disease.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
This is my first time experiencing anything Oregon Trail-related (being not American) and considering this run had very little problems, I'm super curious to see how exactly a "bad" run goes :magical:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I said it at the start, and I’ll say it again.

We need a run starting May, 1846.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Today in school I learned that the Oregon Trail was a nice, safe journey through pleasant countryside. :smugdog:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:ohdear: poo poo, it must be bad if we're having fever dreams this vivid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yay, I didn't die!

...oh no, I'm going to die horribly in the next run now!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hard run is starting as early as possible year wise, and timing the departure to hit winter over the mountains, right?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Siselmo posted:

This is my first time experiencing anything Oregon Trail-related (being not American) and considering this run had very little problems, I'm super curious to see how exactly a "bad" run goes :magical:

Here lies fsrtwortg, age 3

Died of dysentery

Peperoni an cheese

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Siselmo posted:

Everyone dies.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This has been less dangerous than that one guy's attempt to walk coast to coast with a bicycle cart. And he didn't even make it out of the park he started in.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No respect for all the coffee that was lost along the way. I guess only goon lives matter, huh? :colbert:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, either I was terrible at this game as a child (totally possible) or earlier versions of this game were a lot less forgiving. Did we even have anyone get sick, let alone maimed or killed? All that whiskey and laudanum stockpiled for nothing.

For our next trip we should force everyone to do a handstand and walk across the country that way. Or pull the wagons ourselves or something.

David Corbett posted:

Gold inflation is weird.

That makes sense. I realized after posting that the rate if inflation and value of gold likely started to differ at some point but didn't have a chance to dig into it.

Still we got barely more than what we started this journey out with. Can only hope those 666 acres we got wasn't worthless scrub land on the side of the Sierra Nevadas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Did we even have anyone get sick, let alone maimed or killed?

A couple bouts of cholera, which goons intelligently treated.

And an ox got hurt once, but it recovered on its own.

I think it's just down to RNG, and the dice gods smiled on this trip.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

A couple bouts of cholera, which goons intelligently treated.

And an ox got hurt once, but it recovered on its own.

I think it's just down to RNG, and the dice gods smiled on this trip.

It really is. It's very much like XCOM in that you can do everything right and always make the right decision and still get hosed over. You can drown in 1.5 feet of water. You can swamp your wagon on every river and tip on every hill even if you pick the correct method of traversing every time. You can get sick, make the right treatment, and still die.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We should try and speedrun the game now we're so good at it. Travel at top speed, slide down every hill, take every shortcut.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

0 Bacon all Hunting run.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
sign me up for dying horribly

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Next run I say we min/max all ages (half goonmas and goonpas, half goonbabies), horses to pull the largest possible wagon, and survive solely on whiskey, bacon and laudanum. Oh, and obviously, whichever profession starts us with the least money and skills.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Black Robe posted:

We should try and speedrun the game now we're so good at it. Travel at top speed, slide down every hill, take every shortcut.

:emptyquote:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Next time start in December just to make sure we get there before everyone else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

u brexit ukip it posted:

Next time start in December just to make sure we get there before everyone else.

I think the game actually restricts you from the most difficult stuff by forcing you to stay in "winter quarters" if you try to leave the starting point during it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’m stunned we did so well. Not only did nobody die, IIRC we only had one decision even go wrong - the failure to ford the river...and even that didn’t really hurt us.

Start this poo poo anew and let’s fail in style. I’d like to be one of the future (past?) party members if there’s space.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Everyone is so unhappy that I survived. Not exactly great for the ol' self-esteem here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CirclMastr posted:

Everyone is so unhappy that I survived. Not exactly great for the ol' self-esteem here.

It's Oregon Trail. Losing is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CirclMastr posted:

I told them I'd bury them and I did. :colbert: