Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Cut some 3/16" Mild Steel 20"x20" as a house warming gift. I can't decide if I should mount it to weathered wood like the deck (I am currently ripping it up) it is on in the picture, or just leave it as metal for them to hang on brick wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Offer the weathered wood backing to them when you present it to them, but don't actually pre-mount it IMO. The steel on its own can be used in a lot of different settings, but once you add weathered wood you're a lot more limited in where/how you can display it.

Looks good though. Was that cut with a CNC?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Offer the weathered wood backing to them when you present it to them, but don't actually pre-mount it IMO. The steel on its own can be used in a lot of different settings, but once you add weathered wood you're a lot more limited in where/how you can display it.

Looks good though. Was that cut with a CNC?

Makes sense, I know it is going outside but I haven't even seen their house yet so don't know if the wood backing works or not.

Dynatorch Plasma CAM. Thing is a beast. Did the design in AI and then exported to DXF. Set the cuts and Gcode in Sheetcam to use with the Dynatorch software.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finished restoring a bench that my father in law gave us this weekend.

I had the metal parts powder coated and used 4/4 sapele with marine grade spar finish for the wood. It turned out pretty nicely.

The biggest pain in the rear end was that the holes are not evenly spaced from the edge, so each piece had to be laid into place, marked, then drilled out.

I marked all of the pieces with a number in the back so when I have to refinish in a couple years, I won't have any issues with figuring out what pieces go where.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Wife wanted to replace the cardboard box she set the dog feeder on because princess can't eat from floor level. Throwing a finish on it now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats gorgeous.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:eyepop: I'll forever be a sucker for half-blind dovetails.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

does your dog keep the fine silverware in the drawer?

Seriously though please tell me you at least have a place-mat to put the bowls on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

bobua posted:

Wife wanted to replace the cardboard box she set the dog feeder on because princess can't eat from floor level. Throwing a finish on it now.

For real this looks like something some yuppy idiot would pay $5k for because you stamped "made in europe" on it

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Your dog eats off better furniture than I do.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Your dog eats off better furniture than I do.

:capitalism:

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I finished restoring a bench that my father in law gave us this weekend.

I had the metal parts powder coated and used 4/4 sapele with marine grade spar finish for the wood. It turned out pretty nicely.

The biggest pain in the rear end was that the holes are not evenly spaced from the edge, so each piece had to be laid into place, marked, then drilled out.

I marked all of the pieces with a number in the back so when I have to refinish in a couple years, I won't have any issues with figuring out what pieces go where.

I have one just like this that I saved from a rotting death in the depths of my mum's garden. I bought some new wood and pre-drilled all the holes to the same spot, not realising that the holes in the metal weren't exactly lined up the best to start with.

It was no wonder my dad wanted to set fire to it when he built it from the kit back in the 80s. Half an hour in to putting the new slats on I was ready to reach for the matches..

It's still standing though so that's a thing..

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Might not be the right place for this but... I'm looking for a gear motor for a project. I need it to run between 100 and 200 rpm and have greater than 65 inch-lbs of torque, and also not cost a billion dollars.

Anyone have sources for this kind of thing? I'm out of my element on this one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

Might not be the right place for this but... I'm looking for a gear motor for a project. I need it to run between 100 and 200 rpm and have greater than 65 inch-lbs of torque, and also not cost a billion dollars.

I've never dealt with gears before, but McMaster-Carr sounds like a good place to start looking.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ghostnuke posted:

You might try the cnc thread or the metalworking thread-both have lots of real engineers and machinists and such in them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558051

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

thanks dudes

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Might be some decent DC motors with worm gears on Aliexpress, or check out your local junkyard and pull some windshield wiper motors

* I don't have any real intuition for how much torque that is

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I ain't blaming the system. That's just a beautiful piece of work right there.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I ain't blaming the system. That's just a beautiful piece of work right there.

It is a beautiful piece.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Thanks guys, probably the first thing I've made I'd call furniture.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Please excuse my messy rear end garage, but I made a dust collection system cart.
This week will be a spring cleaning of the entire garage because it's a disaster.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

How heavy does the bin get when full? Hard to tell how big it is.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JEEVES420 posted:

How heavy does the bin get when full? Hard to tell how big it is.

14 gallons, and I'm not sure. A 5 gallon (my previous one) is still crazy light when full, maybe a couple of pounds at most.

I got this one for the thicker walls, the vacuum would collapse the 5 gallon bucket, so I ended up nesting another bucket around it. I figured since I was making the stand I might as well go bigger.

My old setup that I used is to the right, the home depot bucket and the white one inside it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Cross-posting from the metalwork thread because it's been really quiet over there lately.

I finished up a jewelry project over the weekend. 22k gold and (partially blackened) fine silver. Made from 22 gauge wire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hey, I recognize that style! I used to do jewelry like that back in the day. I never considered mixing materials like that though. Nice work, it looks great.

Have you experimented with alternating loops between the two materials, or doing a doubled style (two interwoven chains, one at 90 degrees to the other) in different materials? I guess it'd mean using a lot more gold, so I can understand being hesitant.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've done some smaller things with a more dense weave, like crossed 2 through 2, but it takes a comparatively long time. It's disproportionate, not just twice as long. I'll be making a necklace in that weave at some point in the next few months though I suspect.

As to alternating metals, I don't think it would work, visually, there really isn't enough contrast between the gold and the silver. Blackening the silver here was the only thing that let the gold section pop. And yeah - that little bit of gold cost more than an entire spool of fine silver wire, with which I could make maybe a dozen of these necklaces. So it does hinder my willingness to just experiment.

Edit: Here's a pic before blackening, so you can see what I mean about the contrast.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 7, 2019

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I started this week making some speaker stands. $20 for a set of hairpin legs on Amazon and $20 for a wooden cutting board from Target, and it turned out pretty good.

Not an exact fit, but the closest I could get without actually having to cut & finish the wood myself. With that mini project wrapped, I decided to take it a step further. The speakers are an older pair that I saved from the e-waste at my office, so I thought I’d try changing them up a bit to better fit the room, and if I hosed it up at least they didn’t cost me anything! One of them had a few dings and dents so I tried my hand at Bondo and it turns out Bondo is super annoying to work with? And I made a huge mess that took forever to sand later?

In between the few coats of rolled-on Kilz, the thousand coats of spray-on enamel, not to mention way more sanding than I anticipated because I don’t know what I’m doing, I took a stab at changing the screens with some $10 grill fabric off Amazon.

Not pictured: one burned finger after another from the hot glue.

Two more days of spray painting and sanding and I brought them inside to see how the pair would look in place.

Hard to get an angle of both since it’s a smallish room, but the other one looks the same. Pretty pleased how they turned out.

Some lessons learned: Should have used wood putty or even poly fill rather than epoxy, since strength is not really needed -- alternatively, not bother fixing the dings and deep scratches because who cares and no one is ever going to see them anyway... Also, should have maybe used a dowel or long stick or something when applying pressure for the fabric against the screens to do it more evenly. You can sort of tell in the photos that there is some pinching along the edges where the fabric is pulled taut somewhat unevenly. It’ll make me crazy forever but probably nobody else would notice.

ephori fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 15, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another friend is having a baby, so I turned another rattle:

Walnut and maple, about 5" long and 1.5" at its widest.

Much more delicate than the last one I made which makes it easier to handle, but I don't know if it will survive any significant whacks or drops. Talking about the rattle, not the kid.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My wife wanted to get a washer toss set to use in the back yard. I looked on amazon, decided I didn't want to pay $45 for one, so I just made one out of some scrap I had.

Since I was making it I thought I'd make it look cool and designed it to look like an old ammo crate. The bonus was that the lovely paint job and rough edges make it look authentic.

In the background is my next project, which is a cornhole set. Those will be easy but the paint job is going to be a pain in the rear end.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 20, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AFewBricksShy posted:

In the background is my next project, which is a cornhole set. Those will be easy but the paint job is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Could you explain that one? Not so eager to google it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blistex posted:

Bean bag toss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blistex posted:

Not this.

Baggo?

Whatever your name is for that.

My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, I'm in the Philly area, so I'm doing this:

I am going to tweak the Philly one a bit, I might try and put the art museum on the right side and pop Rocky over there instead. Edit: fixed. I still think I need to tweak it a bit.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My first thought is "why is that man being hanged?" So yeah, maybe move Rocky so there's no vertical lines near his head. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Baggo?

Whatever your name is for that.

My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, I'm in the Philly area, so I'm doing this:

I am going to tweak the Philly one a bit, I might try and put the art museum on the right side and pop Rocky over there instead.

Nice going all out. Needs a big 'PSFS' sign.

When I made mine last year out of scrap wood, I just put it together real fast. 1/4" plywood I had laying around, some 1x4s around to frame it and 1x2s for cross support since 1/4" plywood is too thin. I filled in the cracks in the plywood with wood putty and gave it a quick sanding. Then I rolled on a couple thick coats of some exterior gloss white paint I had, and gave it a basic design with a can of spraypaint I found on a shelf. I only bought the bolts for the legs and the bags.

I don't care what the International Order of Cornhole Enthusiasts says, the game works fine without 3/4" plywood and polyurethane surface. I left it outside all year leaned against the side of the house and its just as straight and smooth as it was when I first made it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Made a ring box for the wife to put her ring in.

https://imgur.com/a/Eb21gH2

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Someone at work asked if I could make dice. Never have before but gave it a go.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They look pretty much perfect.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

They look awesome!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

JEEVES420 posted:

But how do they roll?

:rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made an interactive installation for elderly people with dementia out of an old norwegian sloop. This is the final thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1tplBYD9Q

And here's the making of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42BV5DA69v8