Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am pretty sure republicans are like a billion times more loyal to their money and their donors than they are to random ideas donald trump came up with. They like trump when he's expressing the ideas they thought anyway but being crass about it, they aren't going to suddenly voluntarily lose a bunch of money as he hurts the industries they make money off of because they actually value him as a leader.

They might not like it, but they won't buck. Trump slandered, insulted and hosed with a lot of them and they just kissed the ring and wished a long life upon the emperor in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

JVNO posted:

D.C. statehood is a pretty unique case- a really small state but with high density and a democratic lean. Easy two senators! After all, we have to protect those small states from those large ones, right?

Can we abuse this and have other large cities break away as independent city-states for even more Senators without throwing the remainder of the state to the chuds? Would New York state and New York City state get us 4 senators?

(I realize only a few states are constitutionally allowed to break up- but drat am I ever sick of the 'protect small states from the influence of larger states!' argument.)
*Stares at Alaska as the finger on the monkey paw curls*

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1136283055671242752

Paypal meet Cathio :lol:

quote:

Cathio, an organization founded to serve Catholics through an easy-to-use payment solution that responds to the needs of the Catholic community, announced the launch of its platform and its leadership team today. “Cathio’s platform is designed to enable all sectors of the Catholic economy to benefit from lower costs and transparent payments,” said Cathio CEO Matthew Marcolini.

Former Ambassador to the Holy See and Cathio Advisor Jim Nicholson stated, “The Church is living in a time of great challenges with the laity asking, ‘What can we do?’ Well, Cathio is a lay initiative that not only strives to save the Church money, but positions it to provide greater transparency of financial transactions and the connectivity of people of good will with good works.”

Senator Rick Santorum, a member of the Cathio Board of Directors, noted that Cathio also offers the opportunity for the Church to better engage the youth, “Millennials don’t carry cash, they date on apps and watch on-demand entertainment. We have to be there, we have to learn from successful tech companies, and we have to provide a universal solution that makes it easy for younger generations to engage with the Church.”

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
If you really wanted equal representation, you could split California up, NY/NYC, and combine the Dakotas into Megakota, and ...do ...something with Wyoming, and get a whole slew of D senators that way.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

JVNO posted:

(I realize only a few states are constitutionally allowed to break up- but drat am I ever sick of the 'protect small states from the influence of larger states!' argument.)

This isn't a thing outside of the fact that any state is allowed to be broken up, but none are allowed to break up on their own initiative.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Should have been called PrayPal

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

CyberPingu posted:

Should have been called PrayPal

Papal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Constitutionally, changing state boundaries requires the consent of Congress and any states involved. Texas claims to have a special loophole to do it on their own initiative because of a quirk of the agreement under which they entered the Union but this has obviously never been tested.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 5, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AamerISmad/status/1136041448615436289

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1136267385961439233

Lol Get hosed Waltons! WHY WOULD THEY INVITE HIM lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Because he could very possibly be the next president and they know that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

As someone who currently works at Walmart. Awesome. Hope he wins and makes the Waltons kowtow to save themselves.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JuliaManch/status/1136263753731850240?s=19

Democratic leadership is hellbent on trading away human rights because they think it will appeal to fascists. This is a real problem for the country. You cannot support Democracy by appeasing fad ISIS, or simply does not work.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If the link at the top is weak- it doesn't matter how strong the rest if the chain is.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1135222216734498816
(thread)

edit:
https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1136222453888425989

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 5, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Ivanka and Kushner also have Maggie running a full blown PR campaign for them. Anything bad happens you get a story about how actually you see they were against it and anything that looks somewhat competent by this administration's standards will almost invariably be shortly followed by a Maggie byline about how they were the ones guiding it.
And yet they both still manage to come out looking like big loving idiots (I'm just going to abbreviate it from here on. BFI). Like no lie: Both of them and Jr. are probably dumber than Donnie and I don't know if that's funnier than anything the Onion could post or really, really sad.

Wasn't there a poll from not that long ago that indicated that no actual politician in the US is as well-liked and popular in general as Sanders?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/KatzOnEarth/status/1136294198871769088

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Potrzebie posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1136257506228035584

This will probably cause a tweet or two from your orange in command.

This seems good for both DD and CNN

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Maybe a silly question but why is Biden supporting the Hyde Amendment a bad thing? I hate the dude but that seems like a reasonable thing since it's one of the few things that keeps clinics from being firebombed daily.

Or is it the disingenuous "fungible funds" arguement that blocks all funding to abortion-providing clinics?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

While it is true that presidents don't have a big STOCK MARKET lever coming out of their desk, holy poo poo look at that huge dip that has no reason whatsoever to exist beyond Trump being an obstinate dumbass

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe a silly question but why is Biden supporting the Hyde Amendment a bad thing? I hate the dude but that seems like a reasonable thing since it's one of the few things that keeps clinics from being firebombed daily.

Or is it the disingenuous "fungible funds" arguement that blocks all funding to abortion-providing clinics?

It doesn't stop clinics from being firebombed, but it does make their accounting an enormous pain in the rear end and constrains the government even when the people in office are themselves pro-choice.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I love the mental image of a crazed fundamentalist pyromaniac being talked down by some guy explaining the Hyde Amendment.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Oh cool a payment system with a built-in ten percent service charge.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm all for trying to figure out a nonviolent legislative resolution to deeply held and fiercely divisive political issues, but naw gently caress the Hyde Amendment.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I love the mental image of a crazed fundamentalist pyromaniac being talked down by some guy explaining the Hyde Amendment.

Less literal than that, more that it makes an excuse to dodge around the fundie crowd who are screaming "not MY tax dollars"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

This seems good for both DD and CNN

CNN will probably have him on a panel with some maga Chud who will do about 55 lies per minute just say CNN can show "both sides"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Less literal than that, more that it makes an excuse to dodge around the fundie crowd who are screaming "not MY tax dollars"

that is not why fundies are firebombing clinics

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It also ignores the fact that the fundies will just insist all their money is going to abortions regardless. The right has no problem lying to their base and their base has no problem lapping it up.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The President is openly claiming that they’re executing live full term babies. Like some technicality of funding allocation is going to be a factor.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

It also ignores the fact that the fundies will just insist all their money is going to abortions regardless. The right has no problem lying to their base and their base has no problem lapping it up.
You mean my MMR vaccine ISN'T made from the ground up stem cells of fully viable infants killed moments before birth?

Edit: someone link the story, I can't find it and I don't want anyone to think I'm being hyperbolic.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

haveblue posted:

Constitutionally, changing state boundaries requires the consent of Congress and any states involved. Texas claims to have a special loophole to do it on their own initiative because of a quirk of the agreement under which they entered the Union but this has obviously never been tested.

Texas claims a lot of really dumb stupid loving poo poo; nobody cares

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If this is what they are doing in congress, passing bills that there are no chance in a million years get passed in the senate, they seem to have time to do impeachment....

https://twitter.com/ChrisCoons/status/1136300223041593344

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So this catholic PayPal thing is going to end in some mind-bendingly stupid grift that everyone saw coming from a thousand miles, right?

The JoeMyGod Article posted:

Also on the Cathio board is CPAC head Matt Schlapp, whose wife Mercedes Schlapp works in the White House communications office.

Never mind, answered the question myself.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tibalt posted:

I'm all for trying to figure out a nonviolent legislative resolution to deeply held and fiercely divisive political issues, but naw gently caress the Hyde Amendment.

All politics is violence

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1136301669778710529

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

A bunch of small nazi channels going to pay the price for them doing nothing about Crowder.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1136296210824945664

They’re going to march the economy off a cliff in some sort of Great Depression 2.0 speedrun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eltoasto posted:

A bunch of small nazi channels going to pay the price for them doing nothing about Crowder.

Do you have a magnifying glass? I need to find an appropriate violin for this.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

So this is going to live at cath.io, right? Great branding guys!

Looking a bit more into it, it's going to be blockchain-based, too!

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?
be the lack of change you want to see in the world

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1136272911277395969

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aramis posted:

So this is going to live at cath.io, right? Great branding guys!

Looking a bit more into it, it's going to be blockchain-based, too!

Has anyone said SantorumCoin yet :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

"Doing something instead of doing nothing? But think of the precedent that would set!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

JVNO posted:

Can we abuse this and have other large cities break away as independent city-states for even more Senators without throwing the remainder of the state to the chuds? Would New York state and New York City state get us 4 senators?

NY the state would be pretty drat red without NYC. Outside of Syracuse, Buffalo, and Rochester, it's chuddy-chud-chuddertonland. And even those cities are kinda... eh. Rochester in particular is dying pretty fast, so it's got middle-america misery problems. It only stays blue because of the large black population and the colleges, at this point.