Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm wondering if it will blow anyone's mind that "th" makes two different sounds in english. That thief.

Bring back eth and thorn. "Ğat şief."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

beats for junkies posted:

Around the world around the world around the world around the world was everywhere in the late 90s. At least, that's how it seemed at the time. That and Republica's "Ready to Go."

I remember Muchmusic playing the video for Da Funk a whole bunch as well

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Daft Punk is all about paying tribute to 70s/80s music, so thinking that they are 80s makes perfect sense and also shows how well they pulled it off.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Besesoth posted:

Bring back eth and thorn. "Ğat şief."

I was going to say this but decided not to. Thanks for keeping the cause alive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Besesoth posted:

"Ğat şief."

it's... beautiful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

Recently my wife learned what derring-do is, because she had previously thought the DuckTales lyric was "Tales of daring, do bad and good luck tales" instead of "Tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales"

It means heroic courage, btw.

Apparently it originally meant "daring (to) do", and when Chaucer wrote "in durring don that longeth to a knight" it translates as "in daring to do what is proper for a knight". The noun "derring-do" allegedly came about when Tudor poet Edmund Spenser read a book which misspelled the phrase as "derrynge do" and he thought it sounded cool and started using it in his own poems.

It's an archaic use of a misspelling of an even older archaic use!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

beats for junkies posted:

Around the world around the world around the world around the world was everywhere in the late 90s. At least, that's how it seemed at the time. That and Republica's "Ready to Go."

I could.swear that I've never heard the first one before. Born in 1984, for reference.

The second one is very familiar, but I wouldn't have been able to place it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently it originally meant "daring (to) do", and when Chaucer wrote "in durring don that longeth to a knight" it translates as "in daring to do what is proper for a knight". The noun "derring-do" allegedly came about when Tudor poet Edmund Spenser read a book which misspelled the phrase as "derrynge do" and he thought it sounded cool and started using it in his own poems.

It's an archaic use of a misspelling of an even older archaic use!

That's how words are born!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Only the most pop culturally isolated English speakers don’t know what the word “stan” means. 

:saddowns:

I thought people were mistyping 'stand'

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:saddowns::hf::saddowns:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Not me, but a coworker learned yesterday that the expression “suit yourself” is not pronounced “sue it yourself” and none of us can figure out how he got to 40yo with this in his head.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm wondering if it will blow anyone's mind that "th" makes two different sounds in english. That thief.

They make different sounds?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

iajanus posted:

They make different sounds?

... is that a joke?

One sounds closer to "v" and the other sounds closer to "f". Try saying it out loud.
Unless you have an accent I've never heard before, they'll start with different sounds.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vat feef, vat feef

Pyf ventriloquist techniques

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I know what it means from context, but not where it's from, kind of like how everyone here suddenly started saying 'chud'

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I know what it means from context, but not where it's from, kind of like how everyone here suddenly started saying 'chud'

It's a reference to the Eminem song as far as I'm aware, although obviously it's softened in meaning a bit.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

... is that a joke?

One sounds closer to "v" and the other sounds closer to "f". Try saying it out loud.
Unless you have an accent I've never heard before, they'll start with different sounds.

Where the hell do you live.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I don't know what "stan" means.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

packetmantis posted:

Warwickshire.
But is there really an accent where "that" and "thief" begin with the same sound? Can you point me to a youtube video or something where I can hear that?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Aleph Null posted:

I don't know what "stan" means.

It's an obsessed fan, like from the song "Stan" by Eminem. I'm not sure what else it might be though.

Beachcomber posted:

Where did the post you're quoting come from? (I'm looking for context for my above question)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the song Stan kills himself and his girlfriend because Eminem doesn't answer his letter.

So it started as a way to call people that kind of crazy obsessed. Now people use it positively.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

He's actually got a point according to the IPA.

Thief has a θ sound and that has a ©£ sound where one is voiced and the other isn't.

https://teflpedia.com/Pronunciation_exercises:_/%A5%E8/_vs_/%A9%A3/

E: OK it doesn't seem to like the characters in the URL. Third option down from this link:

https://teflpedia.com/index.php?search=thief&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jun 5, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

CHUD is a b-horror movie about sewer mutants. Chapo Trap House applied the term to Trump supporters and it caught on from there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you don't pay your electricity bill for three months, they cut you off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Henchman of Santa posted:

CHUD is a b-horror movie about sewer mutants. Chapo Trap House applied the term to Trump supporters and it caught on from there

Chud is a particularly good term because it also stands for Contamination Hazard Urban Disposal, which means dumping toxic waste into the inner city. Something Trump supporters would be for.

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's an obsessed fan, like from the song "Stan" by Eminem. I'm not sure what else it might be though.

Where did the post you're quoting come from? (I'm looking for context for my above question)

When Stan became a verb.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

In the song Stan kills himself and his girlfriend because Eminem doesn't answer his letter.

So it started as a way to call people that kind of crazy obsessed. Now people use it positively.
Huh, I figured it was a portmanteau of "stalker" and "fan."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hirayuki posted:

Huh, I figured it was a portmanteau of "stalker" and "fan."

I'd read that's exactly why he chose that name.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well today I just figured out I'm "culturally isolated," according to that article. I know the song; my little brother was big into Eminem back in the '00s, but I was completely unaware of the wider meaning until now. I've never seen that word used that way. :psyduck:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's weird yeah apparently that song was way more culturally relevant than I thought. It's like it went away and came back years later as a verb

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

purple death ray posted:

It's weird yeah apparently that song was way more culturally relevant than I thought. It's like it went away and came back years later as a verb

It seems like just a week ago I started reading, on these forums, about Marvel stans and SC stans, and then I watched a YouTube video on Mary Poppins and historical revisionism and it's in there more than once, where previous videos didn't include it at all. Serious Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i have never actually heard anybody irl say stan as a verb before. i've only ever heard/seen it on the internet.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Silver Falcon posted:

Well today I just figured out I'm "culturally isolated," according to that article. I know the song; my little brother was big into Eminem back in the '00s, but I was completely unaware of the wider meaning until now. I've never seen that word used that way. :psyduck:

I’ve only paid attention to it’s use recently, having seen it pop up very often in the last six months or so. I am not culturally isolated, nor do I believe this is a youth thing, since the current crop of teenagers weren’t even born when it came out. Middle aged people must have more sway than I thought?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Monoculture creeps closer every day.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

packetmantis posted:

I know, right

I've been saying it for a few minutes and roped in my wife to do the same and I can't hear a difference.

Chalk up one person with a broad australian accent and one with a general Australian accent where there's effectively no difference.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm Australian and it sounds like this for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6x72zUJQ5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHBGd4Kg4k

Now try and figure out if there's a difference in the 'th' sound in "teeth" and "teething" :v:

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
There isn't.
All of those th sound the same, the difference is what comes after

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

TheMaskedUgly posted:

There isn't.
All of those th sound the same, the difference is what comes after

That was my impression.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

iajanus posted:

I know, right

I've been saying it for a few minutes and roped in my wife to do the same and I can't hear a difference.

Chalk up one person with a broad australian accent and one with a general Australian accent where there's effectively no difference.

I'm Australian and I can hear the difference, it's just subtle. As someone mentioned it's the same as the difference between f and v. It's also the same as "sh" and that jjjj sound that's in French and some other languages. The "th" in teeth and teething are definitely different. I think the term is voiced vs unvoiced?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm Australian and it sounds like this for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6x72zUJQ5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHBGd4Kg4k

Now try and figure out if there's a difference in the 'th' sound in "teeth" and "teething" :v:

To be clear, you think those two videos sound different, right? Because they do to me.
(And yes, "teeth" is th as in thief and "teething" is th as in that. As someone mentioned above, they're ş and ğ respectively.)

Organza Quiz posted:

that jjjj sound that's in French and some other languages.

If you're thinking of the sound I think you are, it's usually written as "zh" to contrast "sh" and in English it occurs in pleasure, leisure, and measure.

The_White_Crane has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I have a slight Texan accent, my wife has a mostly midwest accent. That and thief have the same th sound.