Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Huh, it somehow took me until seeing that hashtag that they're sticking to the same naming scheme in Japanese with these expansions too. It's always some color-related two-kanji word connected to a noun, either a name or an English word written in katakana.

Heavensward = Souten no Ishugarudo (Ishgard of the Azure Sky / Azure Sky Ishgard)
Stormblood = Guren no Riberētā (Liberator of the Lotus Red / Lotus Red Liberator)
Shadowbringers = Shikkoku no Biranzu (Villains of the Jet Black / Jet Black Villains)

Neat

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I’m still new at this, my only class above whatever level they start at is PLD at 58. Maybe y’all forgot how little of this is explained in game but I’m doing my best and still getting yelled at in basic dungeons on the regular by folks with Strongly Held Opinions and it sucks.

There are plenty of nice folks who will explain mechanics when I say I’m new to a fight as I frantically google it on my phone but c’mon. Knowing what the expectations are re: pulling speed, boss countdown, etc takes a lot of getting used to. Everyone’s going feral about missing a GCD and I’m over here just trying not to hit the wrong button by accident, compounded by the things people tell me to do (“flash more dumbass”) totally changing next patch.

Good game good elfs good tunes smoke weed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kanfy posted:

Huh, it somehow took me until seeing that hashtag that they're sticking to the same naming scheme in Japanese with these expansions too. It's always some color-related two-kanji word connected to a noun, either a name or an English word written in katakana.

Heavensward = Souten no Ishugarudo (Ishgard of the Azure Sky / Azure Sky Ishgard)
Stormblood = Guren no Riberētā (Liberator of the Lotus Red / Lotus Red Liberator)
Shadowbringers = Shikkoku no Biranzu (Villains of the Jet Black / Jet Black Villains)

Neat
So will the next one be White? :v:

Also do we know how many Trust people there are going to be? I've been considering who the mystery spoiler people would be, though I would not be shocked if one was Elezenos.

If they're really loving pro, you'll be able to unlock Hildy and Nashu

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

Also do we know how many Trust people there are going to be? I've been considering who the mystery spoiler people would be, though I would not be shocked if one was Elezenos.

It's just the Scions shown so far and I'm going to bet that's it until we get to dungeons in the Source, so like 5.x dungeons

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I’m still new at this, my only class above whatever level they start at is PLD at 58. Maybe y’all forgot how little of this is explained in game but I’m doing my best and still getting yelled at in basic dungeons on the regular by folks with Strongly Held Opinions and it sucks.

There are plenty of nice folks who will explain mechanics when I say I’m new to a fight as I frantically google it on my phone but c’mon. Knowing what the expectations are re: pulling speed, boss countdown, etc takes a lot of getting used to. Everyone’s going feral about missing a GCD and I’m over here just trying not to hit the wrong button by accident, compounded by the things people tell me to do (“flash more dumbass”) totally changing next patch.

Good game good elfs good tunes smoke weed

Just google a basic tanking guide if you’re having that much trouble. As long as you can play your role you can just learn mechanics as you do them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

It's just the Scions shown so far and I'm going to bet that's it until we get to dungeons in the Source, so like 5.x dungeons
Didn't YoshiP said there's a couple that are plot spoilers which is why they didn't show them yet?

I'd guess Krile (for another healer option) and possibly someone capable of tanking so you don't have to lean on Thancred.

e: I guess we actually have a SCH and a AST so no WHM is necessary.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The trusts only work in 5.x dungeons I thought. Still pretty sure they only do work there, but also its very likely they are simply not showing off any potential trusts because that would be spoilers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nessus posted:

I'd guess Krile (for another healer option) and possibly someone capable of tanking so you don't have to lean on Thancred.

Since people seem to have a habit of not staying dead lately, maybe its Haurchefant! :gbsmith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since people seem to have a habit of not staying dead lately, maybe its Haurchefant! :gbsmith:

I really doubt it but maybe.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zoig posted:

The trusts only work in 5.x dungeons I thought. Still pretty sure they only do work there, but also its very likely they are simply not showing off any potential trusts because that would be spoilers.
They can make them for other content (and likely eventually will, if only to fill the role of Trusts in XI; that is, effectively allowing a new player to solo most of the content without worrying about current server population), but it's something they have to script and test individually, so it's unlikely they'll come in quickly for anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm guessing you'll get one of every job class (or 'close enough' like Witch and Rogue) eventually.

So far we have Gunbreaker, Black Mage, Ninja, Scholar, Astrologian and Red Mage. It's pretty safe to assume that Estinien will join us as a Dragoon eventually. Elezenos as a Samurai seems a safe guess too.

As far as Scions not yet in your party, Krile is a not unsafe bet for a healer in the future if not already. (WHM) Lyse as Monk. Arenvald as a Paladin/Gladiator. Riol doesn't have a designated class yet so he could be Archer/Bard or Mechanist.

With Minfilia coming back they could probably push F'lhaminn back into the plot and being as she's a Miqo'te she could be a Dancer or something.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nessus posted:

My guess would have been Paladin for 6.0 anyways as the next expansion cover Job, since it'd parallel Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin, and also we'd finally get to go to the moon, so White being the color would make sense. Also I just heavily doubt they'd have the WoL go caster in one of the trailers as cool as that would be, and there's not many picks left that'd quite matches with WoL in trailers. To be fair, Archer isn't the obvious choice as the first class the WoL starts out as either, so maybe they'll throw a curveball with 6.0 and we suddenly get magic or dexterity WoL.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

keirharder posted:

Just google a basic tanking guide if you’re having that much trouble. As long as you can play your role you can just learn mechanics as you do them

Only trouble I’m having is people assuming I haven’t done my due diligence and that it’s my fault people in roulettes can be jerks.

I mostly know what I’m doing but will eagerly take advice, my point was just that the game doesn’t teach itself very well, esp when it comes to etiquette stuff like I mentioned

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also don't forget we're bound to make a Viera and Hrothgar friend at some point in 5.0, so they could probably take up a trust slot

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ya know they joked about going to the moon being 7.0 but honestly, if 6.0 is dealing with garlemald then unless something rather important happens it would make sense.

Also the idea of going from drk to paladin because it mirrors cecil doesn't really make sense when you consider the whole point of ShB is that theres too much light over in the first and that us going all darkness on it is a very good thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nessus posted:

Didn't YoshiP said there's a couple that are plot spoilers which is why they didn't show them yet?

e: I guess we actually have a SCH and a AST so no WHM is necessary.

He mentioned Thancred won't be available for the 71 dungeon, meaning some currently-unknown trust will be the tank. Presumably some new story character.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

He mentioned Thancred won't be available for the 71 dungeon, meaning some currently-unknown trust will be the tank. Presumably some new story character.

So does that mean that each dungeon will have it's own set of Trust companions to chose from, or are we just going to unlock more as we go along?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rhonne posted:

So does that mean that each dungeon will have it's own set of Trust companions to chose from, or are we just going to unlock more as we go along?

I suspect it will depend on who is "available" during that point in the story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Not sure about the former, though it's possible. My guess is that they'll drop in/drop out depending on the current state of the story. There were a few clearly empty slots in the Trust preview that I saw, though that might just be future proofing the system if you wanted to expand the number of available trusts. Given how serious they were about trying to make the trusts fit into the dungeons you could bring them into, the former might end up being more likely.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its super early to think about which job is going to be the poster one for the next expansion after ShB but given that they seem to not like mages or healers in the spot and we already had job representation from paladin/bard in the 2.0 opening I'm guessing its either going to be machinist or ninja.

vvv
I mean I didn't even mention it because it was pretty obvious.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 6, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2.0 opening was Warrior. The Shadowbringers trailer even cycles through all of them.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be neat if each dungeon had it's own set of potential Trust allies to bring along. It would help keep you from relying on the same 3 people for every dungeon and all. It would especially make sense for side dungeons that may not have anything to due with the main story(though I'd still want to be able to bring along at least one Scion with me so they get a chance to see the kinds of poo poo I get up to when I'm not helping them save the world).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm really glad people are excited for Trusts but it's also kinda weird to me since I very much doubt grinding dungeons with trusts will be good exp and it's never been particularly difficult to ask a friend or linkshell person to heal the single run needed to progress the MSQ, especially since if you want to run with one friend you need to fill all the slots with human players. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll actually be worth repeating dungeons but I sort of doubt it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
All the impressions I've seen say that Trusts are really slow and just about any group will be better. It'll be cool for flavor and maybe for when dps queues really slow down but I can't see using them beyond novelty.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm super curious how tanks in trusts will work. DPS/Healers seem easy to make function, but I wonder how the tank situation will be.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

they could probably push F'lhaminn back into the plot and being as she's a Miqo'te she could be a Dancer or something.

She would be a BRD, since singing was her whole thing. I doubt they'd ever put her in a combat role, but I can dream :allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I'm super curious how tanks in trusts will work. DPS/Healers seem easy to make function, but I wonder how the tank situation will be.

I saw some footage of Thancred tanking, and he seemed to get aggro pretty easily. Wouldn't surprise me if monster AI was mildly tweaked so that they initially zero in on him or that he has some kind of enmity-generating aura. The only difficulty was that there's no attack command you can give him, so you have to either attack a pack first and hope he pulls them off you in time, or very slowly approach the pack so that he gets in range and runs off to attack them himself.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
They've mentioned that they really wanted to make sure the NPCs were competent at their roles so you wouldn't get mad at them if they couldn't do something as simple as hold hate or keep you healed.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can't wait for there being four times as many dungeon instances at launch due to trusts to have absolutely no impact on the game at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain Cappy posted:

Can't wait for there being four times as many dungeon instances at launch due to trusts to have absolutely no impact on the game at all.
Isn't this why they implemented Balmung segregation, so all the servers get packaged distinctly and can get extra scalable instance servers of some kind

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Maybe, also I think its worth considering that dpses have around a 10 min wait often in duty finder, or worse when its slow, so if a party is bad or new you would probably break even time wise doing it with trusts.

I'll probably use them for at least a few different combinations each dungeon while going through shadowbringers and then not really touch them unless its like, midday on a tuesday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Isn't this why they implemented Balmung segregation, so all the servers get packaged distinctly and can get extra scalable instance servers of some kind

Just separating Balmung and Gilgamesh is probably enough TBH.

It's worth remembering that the Savage Barrier actually was broken when Gilgamesh went down entirely.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vermain posted:

I saw some footage of Thancred tanking, and he seemed to get aggro pretty easily. Wouldn't surprise me if monster AI was mildly tweaked so that they initially zero in on him or that he has some kind of enmity-generating aura. The only difficulty was that there's no attack command you can give him, so you have to either attack a pack first and hope he pulls them off you in time, or very slowly approach the pack so that he gets in range and runs off to attack them himself.

Yeah. Just with the tanking conversation earlier, I wonder how the AI tank paces things. I’m assuming it would be honest tanking, one pack at a time, but how about before bosses? Or after a group is killed?

How are they pacing that?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Just separating Balmung and Gilgamesh is probably enough TBH.

I'm thinking Aether still might see hiccups because of a certain amount of migration from Balmung/Mateus from people who were more interested in the raiding aspect of the game and a large influx of new players who either know content creators/streamers or who have heard of Gilgamesh by reputation. Aether saw an increase of nearly 10,000 players between April and May, while Crystal barely held its current population with an increase of around 200 players.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Just with the tanking conversation earlier, I wonder how the AI tank paces things. I’m assuming it would be honest tanking, one pack at a time, but how about before bosses? Or after a group is killed?

How are they pacing that?

They act like squadron members who're always set to Attack. They'll follow you around and engage enemy packs that you get near, prioritizing finishing off their current pack. Not sure how it works if you pull multiple packs, though my suspicion is that they'll end up gating the majority of pulls in leveling dungeons for the benefit of both trusts and undergeared tanks/healers.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 6, 2019

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The thing I want to know about Trusts is this: will it be like doing runs with your Squadron, where you just get the regular amount of loot all to yourself? Because that would be a strong factor in its favour for those who level everything.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If we never see Lyse again I'd be ok with it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

lyse is great fite me irl

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Trusts will be good if you want to do a dungeon run while preoccupied with something you may need to step away from the computer for. I tend to not do group content while my daughter is awake but I’ll do squadron dungeon runs.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I liked Lyse when she was Yda. I couldn't bring myself to care for her Stormblood character arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't dislike Lyse but I did like Yda far more. Yda was my favorite Scion, Lyse is just another character.