Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I miss my dumb elf kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Lyse is by far the best Scion. Better when Yda though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Just had a Ghimlyt Dark run where both of the DPS most likely used a jump potion. They didn't know their rotation, they had bare minimum ilvl, and they didn't know mechanics, It was easily one of the most fun runs I've had in weeks. I was playing white mage and I live for those instances where I am the only reason my entire party isn't horizontal. I even got the chance to tank the big pull after the first boss since I joined in progress to a missing tank, that pull is wild and more than once I dropped to 1000HP.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yda was awful, Lyse is just okay.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yda was okay, Lyse is completely awful.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Do trust dungeons still drop the same amount of gear?
They'll be a great way to try out jobs at your own speed in dungeons and to just soak up gear for all future leveling if the gear drops are not modified.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hommando posted:

Just had a Ghimlyt Dark run where both of the DPS most likely used a jump potion. They didn't know their rotation, they had bare minimum ilvl, and they didn't know mechanics, It was easily one of the most fun runs I've had in weeks. I was playing white mage and I live for those instances where I am the only reason my entire party isn't horizontal. I even got the chance to tank the big pull after the first boss since I joined in progress to a missing tank, that pull is wild and more than once I dropped to 1000HP.

The final boss of the Burn is really good for this with new tanks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lyse rules. Just as Hien is a super capable, sociopathic leader to fulfill Doma's preference of good strong leaders, Lyse is overworked and ineffectual. Anytime a capable or strong leader held political power in Ala Mhigo they ended up doing horrible, terrible things. The best thing Lyse can do is be mediocre and not be replaced for as long as possible, or at least until the post-revolutionary tensions are done.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lyse is good, I think Yda and Papalymo were on my screen for all of three minutes combined.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Brainamp posted:

I miss my dumb elf kids.

:same:

Cabbit posted:

Lyse is good, I think Yda and Papalymo were on my screen for all of three minutes combined.

:same: and I even started in Gridania with them.

Still better than letting early Thancred give me any more poo poo than necessary.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lyse, Papalymo, Yda, Thancred, Minfilia, Y'shtola and Urianger are all trash. None of them are remotely interesting characters. And no, I don't give a poo poo that y'shtola has dropped a couple of sick burns. I'd still rather all their (end of 2.x spoilers) fakeout deaths turned out to be permanent so we could make room for the characters that show up with a personality of some kind. Basically hw is the best expansion because all these boring assholes get sidelined.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Gally posted:

Do trust dungeons still drop the same amount of gear?
They'll be a great way to try out jobs at your own speed in dungeons and to just soak up gear for all future leveling if the gear drops are not modified.

letting you just get all the gear would be a little broken, i think yoshi p said to think of it as having the gear drop rate reduced to 25% of normal. unclear if the trust npcs will literally be rolling need/greed against you

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Failboattootoot posted:

Lyse, Papalymo, Yda, Thancred, Minfilia, Y'shtola and Urianger are all trash. None of them are remotely interesting characters. And no, I don't give a poo poo that y'shtola has dropped a couple of sick burns. I'd still rather all their (end of 2.x spoilers) fakeout deaths turned out to be permanent so we could make room for the characters that show up with a personality of some kind. Basically hw is the best expansion because all these boring assholes get sidelined.

urianger is good

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

somepartsareme posted:

letting you just get all the gear would be a little broken, i think yoshi p said to think of it as having the gear drop rate reduced to 25% of normal. unclear if the trust npcs will literally be rolling need/greed against you

I hope so.

"You don't even need that, Thancred"
"Dude I can turn this in for seals"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Probably the easy thing would be to make it so a Trust dungeon only gives you one chest at the end plus if relevant the piece of leveling gear. The other chests would probably give you desirable goodies just not gear.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

"The original scions have no personality!" - Someone who doesn't talk to all npcs at every msq step, probably.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

All of the main story NPCs are great.

Especially Hilda.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

"The original scions have no personality!" - Someone who doesn't talk to all npcs at every msq step, probably.

Seriously missing out

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Sir, this is a house of splendors

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

S.J. posted:

All of the main story NPCs are great.

Especially Hilda.

Seriously missing out
Hilda is 100% best girl, it ain't even a contest. I'm glad MCH is one of my few maxed jobs.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I got rushed through ARR at a clip and one of the things i'm really looking forward to most in NG+ is being able to see all the non-cutscene dialogue i missed :unsmith:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

somepartsareme posted:

urianger is good

Only in the company of the Best Scion, Moenbryda.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Excuse you, the best Scion is Tataru Taru. :colbert:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Man, I am glad I put Rescue on one of my mouse buttons, now that I started using it somewhat frequently it's amazing. You can do so much stuff with it! DPS standing in an obvious AoE marker? Rescue them out. DPS keeps attacking the boss of Labyrinth of the Ancients, even as it casts that flare attack that would wipe them? Drag their rear end out of the bubble (and let them die on the second one because the recast is too long :v:). A boss uses those Bibliotaph spots that need multiple people to stand on during Orbonne? Drag a random Samurai into it who keeps slashing at the boss (and cue said Samurai instantly running back to the boss, but at least that is one marker dealt with).

I've not had a lot of luck actually dragging people out of AoE zones and such yet since usually I am too busy dodging myself/ping causes them to take the hit anyway as I cast just a moment too late. But the amount of slightly passive-aggressive "Just come here for a second to do this mechanic so we don't wipe" pulling you can do with it is just wonderful. It really needs a shorter recast time and charges until I can arrange the entire to stand where I want them to stand like a weird RTS :v:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm digging both Dragoon and Ninja. Both play well. I like the smoothness of dragoon's rotations but the ninja's tappity tap casting combos are cool. I'd give dragoon the edge in fashion game except I just found a ninja coat that makes me look like a detective. So I'm inspector magic ninja man now and that's a big fashion edge to the ninja. I think both are more fun than the red mage. Gonna be hard to pick if I decide to do the expansion with a DPS class and I can get them to cap.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Veev posted:

All the impressions I've seen say that Trusts are really slow and just about any group will be better. It'll be cool for flavor and maybe for when dps queues really slow down but I can't see using them beyond novelty.

This trust system is something that bugs me a little. I've seen yoship often try to explain how the dev team is stretched thin and how hard it is to balance their need for new content and to add new features and their ability to produce them. But then they go and waste a load of time and resources in something that, although cool, seems way more like a gimmick that seems totally at odds with the whole point of an mmo game.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
the trust system is just a way of getting all the really antisocial people who get angry when people wipe once out of the duty finder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pigbottom posted:

This trust system is something that bugs me a little. I've seen yoship often try to explain how the dev team is stretched thin and how hard it is to balance their need for new content and to add new features and their ability to produce them. But then they go and waste a load of time and resources in something that, although cool, seems way more like a gimmick that seems totally at odds with the whole point of an mmo game.
I figure YoshiP estimates that they can retain a hardcore audience slice and this will give them the opportunity to obtain or expand a new slice, which is the people who love Final Fantasy, but do not want to put up with strangers (or are desperately anxious NEETs who just want to experience the story).

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 6, 2019

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

What about desperately anxious people with full time jobs though?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

^^^

edit: I'm not saying the system is useless. I can imagine it will be good for many people. It's just that the nature of the game and game development constraints, makes me think that it's just a gimmick that will be dropped down the line.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

the trust system is just a way of getting all the really antisocial people who get angry when people wipe once out of the duty finder.

Now... that's a good point. That I can support, but from what I know about people, that kind of rear end in a top hat is exactly the one who will make a point of not using the trust system ever.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 6, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pigbottom posted:

The Trust system is awesome and I will use it at often least enough to see every bit of dialogue/banter from the characters. But I doubt we'll be able to use them for duty roulettes for tomes so it's not like groups won't still be running. I think it's a dumb take to suggest it's a "waste".

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Nessus posted:

I figure YoshiP estimates that they can retain a hardcore audience slice and this will give them the opportunity to obtain or expand a new slice, which is the people who love Final Fantasy, but do not want to put up with strangers (or are desperately anxious NEETs who just want to experience the story).

Anecdotes aren't data, but in my own circle of gaming friends, there's a significant portion of them that are/were excited about FFXIV's story and aesthetics and concept, but really anxious about the idea of Playing Online Games, or MMOs, or whatever. Because the reputation of online multiplayer games as being a haven for toxic chuds is a far-reaching thing, and most reasonable people don't want to spend their leisure time being called names or harassed. I have had repeated variations on "but it's online? Do I have to do dungeons with PEOPLE? Oh no I can't do that" as the answer to my invites to come play. So I'm down with Trusts, if it means it can help ease friends in to the game. And hopefully over time they'd dare dip their toes into regular Duty Finder content and realize that people aren't THAT bad?

Though I don't know how good the Trust system would be to help these particular people, because this is only going to be in ShB content to start, right? Are they going to go back and add a Trust list to all the old MSQ dungeons? I am down with that, of course, and it could be fun, and maybe they've got a bunch of stuff on the schedule... I think the big thing for the Trust system at present is to give a new way to tell story through gameplay, with it being a kind of alternate progression method being secondary.

That said, what NPCs would they have us run stuff like Sastasha and Copperbell Mines? No really, I want to know, I have no idea and I'm super curious.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

23/50 Tomestones, just a little under halfway to my Pegasus.

After that I might keep at it to see if I can get the Minions. I wouldn't mind the Lanners either, but I figure I can grind those out in a farm someday. The Pegasus/Colt plus Brachio and the Bucket come from the Diadem and Fishing, apparently, neither of which I will ever, ever do so it's a good chance. I refuse to grind them out though, I'm just getting 5/day from Main Scenario and Alliance Raid roulettes, that's my limit.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

The Trust system is awesome and I will use it at often least enough to see every bit of dialogue/banter from the characters. But I doubt we'll be able to use them for duty roulettes for tomes so it's not like groups won't still be running. I think it's a dumb take to suggest it's a "waste".

Yeah, maybe waste was a little bit too far. I like that they are constantly trying to put in new systems in the game.
I too love games with banter/npc squad dialog systems. I'm just not sure if the game wouldn't be better served by a system that actually fosters more player interaction then trusts. But that just my opinion, clearly the devs think different, and I bet they have better arguments then I do.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

23/50 Tomestones, just a little under halfway to my Pegasus.

After that I might keep at it to see if I can get the Minions. I wouldn't mind the Lanners either, but I figure I can grind those out in a farm someday. The Pegasus/Colt plus Brachio and the Bucket come from the Diadem and Fishing, apparently, neither of which I will ever, ever do so it's a good chance. I refuse to grind them out though, I'm just getting 5/day from Main Scenario and Alliance Raid roulettes, that's my limit.

You can always check the mb for the Brachio if you don't feel like grinding out tomes for it. That's what I did.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

You can always check the mb for the Brachio if you don't feel like grinding out tomes for it. That's what I did.
Oh, you can just buy it?? I'd assumed it was one of those locked ones. Thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FeatherFloat posted:

Anecdotes aren't data, but in my own circle of gaming friends, there's a significant portion of them that are/were excited about FFXIV's story and aesthetics and concept, but really anxious about the idea of Playing Online Games, or MMOs, or whatever. Because the reputation of online multiplayer games as being a haven for toxic chuds is a far-reaching thing, and most reasonable people don't want to spend their leisure time being called names or harassed. I have had repeated variations on "but it's online? Do I have to do dungeons with PEOPLE? Oh no I can't do that" as the answer to my invites to come play. So I'm down with Trusts, if it means it can help ease friends in to the game. And hopefully over time they'd dare dip their toes into regular Duty Finder content and realize that people aren't THAT bad?

Though I don't know how good the Trust system would be to help these particular people, because this is only going to be in ShB content to start, right? Are they going to go back and add a Trust list to all the old MSQ dungeons? I am down with that, of course, and it could be fun, and maybe they've got a bunch of stuff on the schedule... I think the big thing for the Trust system at present is to give a new way to tell story through gameplay, with it being a kind of alternate progression method being secondary.

That said, what NPCs would they have us run stuff like Sastasha and Copperbell Mines? No really, I want to know, I have no idea and I'm super curious.
For early ARR you would have your local Scion contacts, potentially bolstered by some of the B-listers like the Boulder siblings. By late ARR you have everyone together, until, of course, you don't... but by the time you're doing MSQ dungeons again you have a full party, in fact (though who would tank? Then again Estinien is hard, and Ysayle has her thing.) You would also have Biggs and Wedge throughout to be additional DPS.

For Stormblood of course you are spoiled for choice, with Lyse, Alisaie, Yugiri and Gotetsu early on, adding in Hien, Cirina, Sadu and little Sun Magnai potentially too. Late SB doesn't add a lot but you do get Fordola I guess.

Your main obstacles are going to be providing tools to do 8-man content with the Trusts. It sounds like they may be building Shadowbringers so that the entire 70-80 MSQ doesn't have any mandatory trials but that is extremely not the case for other parts.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh, you can just buy it?? I'd assumed it was one of those locked ones. Thanks!

Yeah, and there's always the possibility that they'll crash in price due to people using this event to sell them on the mb. The other two are untradeable unfortunately.
I'm aiming for the earrings, Pegasus mount and the two other minions by running CT 5 times a day. I'm also trying to grind out the Feast and other GARO mounts which is slowing things down a bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wonder how you're supposed to do trusts for Bardam's considering that canonically you did it solo (I think?). Same with the primals, no trusts there.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hommando posted:

my favorite jump potion story is one time a goon was doing the HW popefight trial and the DRK was asking people how his buttons worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Wonder how you're supposed to do trusts for Bardam's considering that canonically you did it solo (I think?). Same with the primals, no trusts there.

I mean you say that, but the dungeon description suggests you maybe cheated and actually did bring 4 people.