Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1136585123900604416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1136595086366523395

quote:

President Trump on Thursday reiterated his willingness to impose tariffs on Mexico if the country does not crack down on the flow of migrants toward the U.S. despite opposition from within his own party, saying some senators “have no idea what they’re talking about” on the issue.

“We’ll see what happens. But something pretty dramatic could happen,” Trump said. “We’ve told Mexico the tariffs go on. And I mean it, too. And I’m very happy with it. And lot of people, senators included, they have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to tariffs. They have no — absolutely no idea.”

“When you have the money, when you have the product, when you have the thing that everybody wants, you’re in a position to do very well with tariffs, and that’s where we are,” he continued. “We’re the piggybank. The United States is the piggybank. It has all the money that others want to take from us, but they’re not taking it so easy anymore. It’s a lot different.”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1136623265332584449

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This isn’t even a new problem; Trump burned undercover agents for Israel at one point in like 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao throw every one of these pharma assholes into prison

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

This isn’t even a new problem; Trump burned undercover agents for Israel at one point in like 2017

Trump .... good?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure why the fines for this sort of thing is pocket change and not "whatever number it is that makes wall street like your company, enough to significantly decrease it".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Trump .... good?

Under no circumstances do you "gotta hand it to him".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mind_Taker posted:

That's a weird way to spell "a fire" but I completely agree.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

This whole thing, if he goes through with it and it's as bad as it seems like it will be, maybe, just maybe, sways enough Republican Senators over to wanting to remove this motherfucker and THEN impeachment has a chance. Trying to look for silver linings here. The intervening time would be very lovely though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DrNutt posted:

That's a weird way to spell "a fire" but I completely agree.

It can be a fiery prison.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

VH4Ever posted:

This whole thing, if he goes through with it and it's as bad as it seems like it will be, maybe, just maybe, sways enough Republican Senators over to wanting to remove this motherfucker and THEN impeachment has a chance. Trying to look for silver linings here. The intervening time would be very lovely though.

While I appreciate that there are people out there with just a shred of optimism left, the current Republican party has shown absolutely no reason to be optimistic about it. They'll fall in line behind him in lockstep. They always do.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It can be a fiery prison.

Why isn't this word spelled "firey"? The English language is weird.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I saw this alert as well cant find any details on whats going on though.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm :(

https://twitter.com/luckiari/status/1136629023851786240?s=19

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

While I appreciate that there are people out there with just a shred of optimism left, the current Republican party has shown absolutely no reason to be optimistic about it. They'll fall in line behind him in lockstep. They always do.

We'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cjVhUrmII

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VH4Ever posted:

This is fantasy wishful thinking. Unfortunately the evidence points to continued rallying around the president while shifting blame through propaganda onto the Democrats.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Why the gently caress are all the brokebrains in this thread reading “Jay Inslee is angry that as a single issue candidate, the DNC won’t let him have a special debate all about his single issue” as “the DNC is forbidding any discussion of climate change at any of the 12 debates it is sponsoring”?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

skeleton warrior posted:

Why the gently caress are all the brokebrains in this thread reading “Jay Inslee is angry that as a single issue candidate, the DNC won’t let him have a special debate all about his single issue” as “the DNC is forbidding any discussion of climate change at any of the 12 debates it is sponsoring”?
Careful buddy, talk like that'll get you a mean avatar.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

We're all going to be killed by global warming, it's kind of important enough for its own debate

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

haveblue posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure why the fines for this sort of thing is pocket change and not "whatever number it is that makes wall street like your company, enough to significantly decrease it".

Why bother with fines at all? Just nationalize the company.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

We're all going to be killed by global warming, it's kind of important enough for its own debate

what is there to debate about in the democratic primary though? everyone on that stage is going to agree that it is a big problem that needs to be addressed with legislation to curb carbon dioxide emissions, the only difference are the specific proposals and at that point it's not a debate but rather some kind of televised policy meeting. how much variance is there between the candidates on this topic?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

luxury handset posted:

what is there to debate about in the democratic primary though? everyone on that stage is going to agree that it is a big problem that needs to be addressed with legislation to curb carbon dioxide emissions, the only difference are the specific proposals and at that point it's not a debate but rather some kind of televised policy meeting. how much variance is there between the candidates on this topic?

Pretty sure Joe Biden's "plan" is very different than Inslee's and Bernie's plans.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is the guy behind the straight pride parade

https://twitter.com/Boston_DSA/status/1030248841960931328

https://twitter.com/Boston_DSA/status/1030249645124018176

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mind_Taker posted:

Pretty sure Joe Biden's "plan" is very different than Inslee's and Bernie's plans.

I thought it was exactly the same, paragraph by paragraph, actually

(It is a plagiarism joke)

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mind_Taker posted:

It probably is, but I wonder about the value of debates at all in this case. The presidency was always a popularity contest, but after the way the primaries and debates were handled in 2016, I think they're going to be primarily graded by how entertaining they are, and what kind of audience retention numbers they get. America the gameshow isn't gonna just suddenly stop being a thing because there are real problems that need real solutions.

So like, "Dems talk numbers about the world-ending cataclysm" isn't gonna pull viewers. So I don't think it's gonna happen.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mind_Taker posted:

yeah, but we already have enough proof that biden sucks. watching a bunch of people hash out tiny shades of policy differences through violent agreement sounds like a bad d&d thread

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

saintonan posted:

Why bother with fines at all? Just nationalize the company.

Yeah these things where we have an old price are especially bullshit, because we know it was still profitable at the lower price and the markup is entirely greed. Like at least if something has always been incredibly expensive they're maintaining kayfabe on the whole 'this was expensive to develop and is expensive to make, we've got to recoup our costs'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

luxury handset posted:

Considering the degree of changes that need to be made to avert catastrophe? There's a lot of substantial policy difference there between 'we should do something about it I guess' and 'we need a trillion dollar revamp of energy infrastructure'

Reminder that while we're going to touch on the primaries in this thread, in depth discussion needs to go in the appropriate thread.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

“When you have the money, when you have the product, when you have the thing that everybody wants, you’re in a position to do very well with tariffs, and that’s where we are,” he continued. “We’re the piggybank. The United States is the piggybank. It has all the money that others want to take from us, but they’re not taking it so easy anymore. It’s a lot different.”

I still can't get over that this is how the president of the USA talks.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ershalim posted:

It probably is, but I wonder about the value of debates at all in this case. The presidency was always a popularity contest, but after the way the primaries and debates were handled in 2016, I think they're going to be primarily graded by how entertaining they are, and what kind of audience retention numbers they get. America the gameshow isn't gonna just suddenly stop being a thing because there are real problems that need real solutions.

So like, "Dems talk numbers about the world-ending cataclysm" isn't gonna pull viewers. So I don't think it's gonna happen.

Talk about broke brained thinking, let's not have a deep dive climate debate because it "isn't gonna pull viewers?" Give it up, folks, the focus groups don't like the Climate Change arc.

Jesus. So, not even a debate hosted via internet livestream somewhere that ratings from scumfuck sponsors aren't a factor? Just, nah? Too boring?

We're all gonna die.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

skeleton warrior posted:

It's pretty much the most important issue out there, and it's loving time that decent dems stop getting ignored.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

luxury handset posted:

yeah, but we already have enough proof that biden sucks. watching a bunch of people hash out tiny shades of policy differences through violent agreement sounds like a bad d&d thread

Yeah but getting a lot of candidates who are good on climate policy ganging up on Biden would be fun!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

luxury handset posted:

my dude those specific proposals are kinda major. Like, dems gave us terrible ideas like cap and trade and carbon taxes and poo poo and pointless initiatives like 'hey consumers who are responsible for a fraction of emissions compared to the most wealthy and powerful companies, maybe if YOU just stopped using your AC so much it'd fix things you greedy little piggies!'

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

Talk about broke brained thinking, let's not have a deep dive climate debate because it "isn't gonna pull viewers?" Give it up, folks, the focus groups don't like the Climate Change arc.

Jesus. So, not even a debate hosted via internet livestream somewhere that ratings from scumfuck sponsors aren't a factor? Just, nah? Too boring?

We're all gonna die.

I meant in terms of the people who run the debates. We don't get to decide what gets televised or how it gets monetized. So like, because they're going to focus on the dog and pony show aspects to get ratings, the debates themselves will almost assuredly be attempts to get snappy reddit video moments and poo poo instead of something nuanced like what would be required to delve into candidates policy on climate change.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Quick overview of positions on climate change: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/climate-change/

Probably the only thing I disagree with Bernie on here is phasing out nuclear (because climate change is going to need a combined-arms approach, energy storage issues, etc).

Hickenlooper is hilariously terrible on everything.

e: obviously, none of these positions are actually enough to avert climate catastrophe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bubbacub posted:

I still can't get over that this is how the president of the USA someone who is supposedly "good at business" talks.

Do we have all the money or do we have all the product? WTF is the point of trade if we have both? What is planet earth

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ershalim posted:

I meant in terms of the people who run the debates. We don't get to decide what gets televised or how it gets monetized. So like, because they're going to focus on the dog and pony show aspects to get ratings, the debates themselves will almost assuredly be attempts to get snappy reddit video moments and poo poo instead of something nuanced like what would be required to delve into candidates policy on climate change.

Why do you think Inslee is pushing so hard to host his own debate, if need be?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VH4Ever posted:

Why do you think Inslee is pushing so hard to host his own debate, if need be?

it's the only thing he's got to differentiate himself from the pack at this point

e: really though it's not worth discussing further itt as folks are variously talking about either climate change itself or the procedural minutiae of how the primaries are run, and hopping between the two subjects as needed

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

We're all gonna die.

We have a huge group of people in this country (and in this thread) who've been trained to think of politics in the way that a literal amoral sociopath thinks of politics. To them politics is been reduced to a highschool popularity contest- and their every political decision is rooted first and foremost in how popular said decision will be. They have no conceptual room for doing the right thing simply because it's the right thing-, and the idea of making a moral stand (especially if it's personally costly) is considered naive stupidity.

Worsse still- their privileged position in life has convinced them that they understand how the world actually operates, when in reality they have been so sheltered that they do not understand the very basics of how power dynamics operate in the real world.

Individuals like the one you were responding to absolutely do not understand what leadership is either. They think leaders exist to enable the crowd to move in the direction the crowd has decided to go, and that's just not how Humanity Works, has ever worked, or will ever work until such time as humanity has evolved into a state of pure energy.

A leader picks a goal and starts working towards it without regards for whether or not anyone else is going to support them. Publicly demonstrating that you're willing to suffer on the behalf of others is what leadership actually is, everything else is just chest puffing nonsense written by sheltered intellectuals.

Leadership is about showing that you will sacrifice for others for no personal gain. That's what makes other people voluntarily choose to follow you. That's what inspires others to make changes in their life to support a cause.

Leadership isn't about telling other people to make sacrifices that you are not yourself willing to make, that's called being a privileged douchebag.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 6, 2019