Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Gym just got brand new power bars and the knurling is chewing up my baby hands. Life is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

Strict press, I'm not the biggest fan of spinal flexion in that scenario.

This is nit-picky: Spinal flexion would be when the breastbone moves closer to the belly button, leaning back (or when the back of your neck moves closer to your rear end) would be spinal extension. Besides, I think the general idea is to try and maintain a rigid spine and instead extend the hips, though some spinal extensions might come into play.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bomb posted:

I was fat as poo poo and did StrongLifts for 6 months but trained weights years ago. I’m not as jacked as roid dudes but I’m certainly not in bad shape now. I hit 350 on my squat and DL and swapped to kettles and now my lifts are p good so unsure why you’re so salty?

I understand the hesitance to anything other than power lifting, body building, and traditional barbell work but it’s worked out well for me so 🤷‍♂️

You worship false idols, and your bench sucks.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

drat dude

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Also I've been doing pin press lately and it's leaving me absolutely destroyed. I definitely have a sticking point right where the pin press starts so I'm hoping this gets me to a > bodyweight OHP.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
OHP is my favorite lift and I was finally able to press overhead this morning without pain since busting my shoulder in February. June is off to a good start for me 😎

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

I'm gonna print this out and hang it over the whiteboard in my home office

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Greg Legg posted:

OHP is my favorite lift and I was finally able to press overhead this morning without pain since busting my shoulder in February. June is off to a good start for me 😎

Hell yeah, glad to hear it!

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

He's lagging on one of the most technique-driven exercises. What do you bench?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i've sat on more benches than you could ever imagine, bucko !!!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

defend me next gasman

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Let's all meet up and fight. Naked.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

:biglips:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

(rubbing olive oil on my muscles)

yeah, im gonna gently caress you up real good

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ElectricSheep posted:

e: if I look back at my previous posting it's also scaring me as I approach a 3+ plate squat, as I've hit 275 x 10 before so you'd think it's not a problem but I absolutely get jittery as the heavier bar pushes into my back and the weight settles in - it's really been screwing up my 85%/95% squat days for the last two months

Practice with racking and unracking the bar, and maybe even go a little higher than what you intend to squat. That'll help you get used to having heavy weights on your back without any of the perceived risk of a squat.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MarcusSA posted:

Omg wtf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgkdHOG50E

It’s like a good morning / quarter squat?

What the gently caress is that?
jesus christ, the people thinking they know Lebron James's body better than Lebron James, a very strong person who is billionaire because of the shape he has kept his body in for an extended career playing a contact sport at the highest imaginable human level. who knows how much time and money has been put into the "sports science" that makes Lebron James possible? this a middle school model rocketry club second-guessing the apollo program.

incredible. incredible.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

mlyp

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TenementFunster posted:

jesus christ, the people thinking they know Lebron James's body better than Lebron James, a very strong person who is billionaire because of the shape he has kept his body in for an extended career playing a contact sport at the highest imaginable human level. who knows how much time and money has been put into the "sports science" that makes Lebron James possible? this a middle school model rocketry club second-guessing the apollo program.

incredible. incredible.

uh excuse me lebron has lost five nba finals

the people posting here? ZERO losses

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TenementFunster posted:

incredible. incredible.

Hey I didn't know you were back, I remember your funny posts from long long ago. Glad I clicked this random thread.

I would guess that it's a functional squat mirroring getting into a defensive stance and then pressing up, as if he's trying to hold someone who's bearing against him. I've seen a strength coach doing it with players in one of a series of videos long since deleted from pistons.com

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

What’s your excuse for lagging behind on DL?

And snatches, getups, and clean+presses/jerks are definitely more technique driven than bench 😂

bomb fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 2, 2019

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

ElectricSheep posted:

drat thats a lot of losing... Wonder if he's ever trained with kettlebells? Worth a shot imo

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

TenementFunster posted:

incredible. incredible.
Basketball is a contact sport?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

barkbell posted:

For guys like Lebron running and jumping through dudes who are 7’2”, 290 pounds and are trying to hard foul him, yes. People who drive to the basket get incredibly beat up, people who do it by being one of the most explosive athletes of all time and do it by going over defenders, even moreso

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Dunno if I'm getting whooshed here but basketball played at any competitive level over high school is 100% a contact sport.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fhqwhgads posted:

Dunno if I'm getting whooshed here but basketball played at any competitive level over high school is 100% a contact sport.

I mean, there are a lot of guys who will never need to fight through a screen or set a real pick but for most people, yeah

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

Wasn’t Lebron a big proponent of Jacobs ladder equipment the last couple years?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

bomb posted:

What’s your excuse for lagging behind on DL?

And snatches, getups, and clean+presses/jerks are definitely more technique driven than bench 😂

grip strength, hence 435 x 8

and I was actually defending your bench number since you don't train BB bench press lol if you aren't training for that specific movement then you won't get crazy transfer strength from other exercises is what I was saying

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

barkbell posted:

Yes.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A lot of sports are full of characters doing stupid poo poo or following fads

They can get away with it because they do steroids, are genetic freaks and have small armies of people catering to their every need in terms of dieting and recovery

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

A lot of sports are full of characters doing stupid poo poo or following fads

They can get away with it because they do steroids, are genetic freaks and have small armies of people catering to their every need in terms of dieting and recovery

Case in point all the Olympic athletes that were obsessed with cupping 3 years ago

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Discovered on deadlift set 4 of 4 that all the chalk has been removed from the gym. Currently suffering from withdrawal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my gym's radio was set to the christian station last night wtf

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Back to a bodyweight press so it's safe to put on more mass again.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my gym's radio was set to the christian station last night wtf

reps for jesus

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Ordered the noob set from Grip Genie, looking forward to fixing my pathetic grip strength.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Did you know 2 handed KB swings are great for grip strength? :11tea:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

doverhog posted:

Did you know 2 handed KB swings are great for grip strength? :11tea:

So are one handed swings, getups, and any other quick lift pulls/pushes 😎

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Tested my Deadlift today and managed to hit 501 pounds. Feels good man