Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is the tire size and availability for the ms6 wheels as bad as the first gen ms3 wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Is the tire size and availability for the ms6 wheels as bad as the first gen ms3 wheel?

No, there's a decent selection on Tire Rack and I got a screaming deal during an Ebay sale last summer. A few guys reported problems with certain 17 inch wheels fitting back when I bought the car so I didn't want to hassle with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

nah there's a few other flow formed options like konig that are even cheaper than rpf1

Why are you like thus

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Is it bad now? I remember the specific OE size didn't have a lot but going up like 10mm on width helped a lot on selection.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it bad now? I remember the specific OE size didn't have a lot but going up like 10mm on width helped a lot on selection.

I guess I meant the OE size. You're right that you could fit a slightly wider tire and that opened up more options.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TheFonz posted:

They don't make 20" steelies :( I wish they did, I hate my winter wheels.

I know you mean lovely cheap steelies but...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Those are badass

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea they are. I was thinking about just widening the steelies on my C10 but those are giving me better ideas.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Hmm I would've guessed that Diamond Racing would make larger diameter wheels than 16" or 17", but I guess they don't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea they are. I was thinking about just widening the steelies on my C10 but those are giving me better ideas.

If it's a 6 bolt, you can also find 22 inch transport steelies for half the price which are technically **PROPERTY OF GENERAL MOTORS**

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's lighter than RPF1s though?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wheels that are generally twice the price or more, but generally hold up better

Not knocking on RPF1s, I ran them on the S2000 until I needed to stuff bigger calipers on the car. I think they hold up fine on lighter cars. Lightweight wheels are consumables :shrug:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Charles posted:

What's lighter than RPF1s though?

TE37s

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a set of the TE37SL. Not only were they the lightest wheel I've used, they're also the easiest to clean. One of those sponge gloves made short work of it. The Gramlights I have now are pretty easy too, but I have to use a wheel brush. If you love spending hours cleaning wheels, make sure to get BBS RS. I have a similar wheel on my Miata and doing any less than a pressure washer is a pain in the rear end.

I also want to say there's an ultralight wheel in the Y spoke category

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah the BBS FI-R

I want TE37s badly does anyone know how to navigate yahoo japan?

5x120 10 and 11J stagger

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I know you mean lovely cheap steelies but...

They're pretty slick but I really wish they made a Soft 8 knockoff. I'll have to go to 18s if I ever get Brembos for the Nova and S8s are only available up to 17".

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Powershift posted:

If it's a 6 bolt, you can also find 22 inch transport steelies for half the price which are technically **PROPERTY OF GENERAL MOTORS**

Oh yeaaa, good call. It is 6 bolt and I never would have thought of that. I'll have to see if 22 looks too big since that's on the high side of what I'd want but the price might be right.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah the BBS FI-R

I want TE37s badly does anyone know how to navigate yahoo japan?

5x120 10 and 11J stagger

Just use https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/te37 or https://www.croooober.com/en/ for stuff from upgarage.

I want a set too but it's hard enough finding them in the right offset and stagger. Either that or CE28's, I've passed over buying a few sets of TE37s because they always end up being the wrong offset or non staggered.

Edit: gently caress crooobers wheel search has got way better,

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/10244028/Rims/IMPUL-Impulse-Team-NS-GT
drat I want these, maybe if the shipping isn't redic

Edit: gently caress sake https://www.croooober.com/en/item/1...K-RACING-PRO-N1

god damnit I'm going to end up spending money

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/9782252/Rims/BBS-BB-Es-LM-LMP076
gently caress BBS lms are insanely rare in those sizes

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 30, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah so you have to search for all those wheels. I can buy RPF1s on Tire rack or wherever, anytime, and they're the lightest wheel they have.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Facebook Rare Wheel Awareness. That's how I've gotten my last 3 sets of wheels, including TE37.

Also a plug for the thread about wheels I have in AI. We'd love to have you.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 30, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Aren't transports also technically not rated for road use? Or is that just a side effect of the fact that they're technically not supposed to be sold?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't transports also technically not rated for road use? Or is that just a side effect of the fact that they're technically not supposed to be sold?

Every 67-72 on Instagram runs them, they're amazing and proven. But what you say is true.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Just 1 week shy of having this for a year, hopefully the first year of many.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I bought this yesterday.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Detroit has wheels that are specifically targeted at C10s, but they mostly mimic the square-body rally wheels.

I like the artillery wheels better.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ornamented Death posted:

I bought this yesterday.

Nice, what trim? Looks like maybe Laramie? I picked up a 2019 back in October. Tested an F150 and a Tundra, and this was so quiet and comfortable it immediately won me over. Bighorn/non-fancy trim (but still $55K :(), with the 8” carplay touchscreen/sub, but I love the cloth seats (last truck had leather and I don’t miss it). Only wish I had the LED lights and non-trash/downgraded/unheated tow mirrors which I paid MORE money for. :rolleyes: May swap them to the non-tows at some point when I have $1k burning a hole in my pocket.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fantastipotamus posted:

Nice, what trim? Looks like maybe Laramie? I picked up a 2019 back in October. Tested an F150 and a Tundra, and this was so quiet and comfortable it immediately won me over. Bighorn/non-fancy trim (but still $55K :(), with the 8” carplay touchscreen/sub, but I love the cloth seats (last truck had leather and I don’t miss it). Only wish I had the LED lights and non-trash/downgraded/unheated tow mirrors which I paid MORE money for. :rolleyes: May swap them to the non-tows at some point when I have $1k burning a hole in my pocket.

It's a limited. This truck is a dream (so long as I don't linger on my new reality vis-a-vis fuel economy).

Bit more than I'd typically go for, but I found myself in the odd position of having a fully paid off 2018 Q5 to get rid of (inherited it), so that took a lot of the sting out of the purchase price of the Ram.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t imagine the bath you took on trading in a 1 model year old luxury car. I know you inherited it and all so it’s not really money you sunk into it, but still.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah it hurt a bit. I'd have liked to keep the Q5, but its was too small for me (I am large) and my wife didnt want to pay all the extra money on insurance and maintenance and whatnot for a car she'd drive maybe 20 miles a week (she works from home).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ70, short wheel base 6 cyl diesel guy. Diff lock, Toyota electric winch, manual windows, sunroof and, because it is a 1994, R134 AC refrigerant. Might not be a big deal to some people but it makes dealing with it so much easier, though it does work great anyway. It has everything you'd want in a diesel Land Cruiser, the big lug of a straight 6, diesel, front and real diff locks, electric winch, sunroof. It does have a couple spots of rust, poor tinting to be removed, it's dirty, and needs 5 new tires. It's also tall and bouncy to an absurd degree but hey I'm not keeping it!

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

:fap:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ornamented Death posted:

It's a limited. This truck is a dream (so long as I don't linger on my new reality vis-a-vis fuel economy).
Nice, it’s probably not Q5 territory but it could be worse. I just got 19+ on my last tank with 3.92 rear end. Pretty happy with that!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Cruiser looks great, but that aftermarket radio is pure Fast and Furious

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish aftermarket decks evolved some subtley. There are some with "classic" faces with chrome and dial knobs and stuff, but they're also no good stereos.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

The Cruiser looks great, but that aftermarket radio is pure Fast and Furious

um excuse me posted:

I wish aftermarket decks evolved some subtley. There are some with "classic" faces with chrome and dial knobs and stuff, but they're also no good stereos.

Yeah is is quite garish and ugly, and behind it is probably some step-down voltage converter since JDM 70s are 24v systems. Bonus is they did replace the factory speakers with some nice ones so it does sound good, even through a tape adapter.

What I preffer these days is just getting a line bypass like this and hijack the antenna input on the back of factory headunits. Works great, no FM fuckery. Can't really do much with it though if it's already been replaced.
I imagine a tablet-like headunit would work great since it seems everything JDM around this time is double din. That would make it a perfect fit and also allows to avoid laser light show.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I am reasonably surprised you got to keep the flare.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

um excuse me posted:

Even like flat black plastic that doesn’t feel like it’ll break immediately would be preferable.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

New member of the fleet: 4th gen 3sgte swapped NA, done by Prime and seems fully sorted. Agreed to buy it, doing the transaction later today. So. Excited.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Hey kid, want another oily spot on your garage floor? :rms:

Why do I do this to myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For our unending amusement. :getin: