Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Besides it's all based on this strange premise that "if we can just prove that the Republicans were the good guys back in 1860, it means they're the good guys now and the Democrats have no argument" or something.

Like the "confederate statues were put up by Democrats" thing. Like... and? Now we want to take them down. Presumably you do too because they were put up by Democrats. Right? Right? Unless you're saying ... attitudes have changed?

chapo had a good ep on dinesh's most recent movie about how reality pretty much refuted his arguments right after it came out. he's trying to argue dems are the Real Racists and Nazis when trump and his people are being flagrantly racist and the hogs are loooovin it. trump coming out against birthright citizenship happened shortly after the film's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah as kevin points out in the thread it wouldn't actually matter if no republicans were slaveholders everyone knows who was who back then it's not some secret history.

It is if you're a chud, apparently

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Versus not talking about a valid crisis? At all?

i don't think that not talking about it in this one place and time is equivalent to refusing to talk about it at all. you may differ in your interpretation, and we won't come to agreement on this

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Prester Jane posted:

I re-watched the entire series last year and I had completely forgotten about that subplot. It was kind of striking how everyone around the madking was finding reasons to justify going along with the flow/ trying to exploit him for their own gain, whilst also thinking that the fictional character in the old TV show was more complex and "real" than the actual madking POTUS.

That saad I absolutely love Babylon 5 and think it's a great series, but re-watching it also made me confront just how badly it goes whole hog on the white male savior thing. (It literally has two separate white male saviors who become elevated to near-deity status by the end of the show.)

Yeah it had a lot of really good takes on things but the 90s was still kind of the dark ages of 'sci-fi protagonists have to be white men'. At least there's not a B5 where they go to Planet Africa, where they kidnap women and have bones in their noses and poo poo.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

luxury handset posted:

i don't think that not talking about it in this one place and time is equivalent to refusing to talk about it at all. you may differ in your interpretation, and we won't come to agreement on this

then ignore it. it's relevant and allowed to be posted about here. you're badly misinterpreting PJ's post anyway.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

The number of galaxy brain "the dollar is company scrip" takes in the comments is outrageous.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

They didn’t just say that about climate change, they’ve said they’ll bar candidates from the DNC debates if they appear in any other formal primary candidate debate on any subject. Because those are their rules, not some spur-of-the-moment reaction.

Twisting that into “THE DNC OBVIOUSLY WANTS TO SUPRESS DISCUSSION OF CLIMATE CHANGE” is an incredibly stupid take on that.

Why do you think the rule against participating in other debates exists? Is it possible that the DNC uses it to try to influence what subjects the candidates can discuss in a high-profile forum? If so...isn't it bad, that they are trying to shape the discourse like that?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fool_of_sound posted:

then ignore it. it's relevant and allowed to be posted about here. you're badly misinterpreting PJ's post anyway.

i think there's mutual misinterpretation here, but calls for reason generally aren't popular itt

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

luxury handset posted:

but calls for reason generally aren't popular itt

this is incredibly loving insufferable. don't do it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Meatball posted:

The number of galaxy brain "the dollar is company scrip" takes in the comments is outrageous.

Heh, yeah, but I can spend that dollar literally everywhere. An Amazon gift card tho....

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

this seems apocalyptic but some people find catharsis in proclaiming the doom of man on a daily basis, i guess :shrug:

doesn't make for interesting or informative reading though

Staring the abyss in the face is the first step to truly embracing hope. Do you want me to quote the numerous times in this thread where I have gone on about embracing hope as an act of defiance?

You can't address what I'm saying on an intellectual level so you resort to insulting me by inferring that my arguments are coming from a place of wallowing in despair and seeking to the drag others down with me.

The only way I personally know to confront the abyss is to stare that pussy in the face and dare him to make his move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

Yeah, science says you are wrong and the correct time to 'discuss' this was the 1980s. Welcome to having a scientific emergency.

Your opinions and disagreements are tantamount to ignorance

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 6, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

i don't think you're really getting here the distinction between "the DNC has dumb parliamentary rules" and "the DNC doesn't care about global catastrophe"

you do you, but i see no need for it

Wow, that is some apropos custom text.

When the frontrunner and obvious party favorite has such a tepid take on the issue, it looks quite suspect to not allow people to talk about it except when they are told

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1136627469946183680

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

When the frontrunner and obvious party favorite has such a tepid take on the issue, it looks quite suspect to not allow people to talk about it except when they are told

Who's banned from talking about climate change?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

They would, agreed. By the way, I went further than I intended to the other day in quibbling with a post you made. Others who did the same have apologized for piling on similarly but I did not. I do now: please accept my sincere apologies. The scope of what I'd intended to say got sort of knocked out of focus in the moment and it's 100% my fault. Thanks for continuing to try.

Thank you for this :love: I've screwed up and cross the line plenty of times here too- its all water under the bridge my man.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 6, 2019

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCNuala/status/1136588285315354624

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

socialsecurity posted:

You seem to have a lack of understanding of even the basic issue so scroll back and read it

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ted Cruz has no loving clue who that bigoted youtube kid is and this is kind of hilarious for that fact alone.

Next up Ted Cruz starts talking about how Hitler was a man with great ideas because of the Autobahn.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ripoff posted:

Ted Cruz has no loving clue who that bigoted youtube kid is and this is kind of hilarious for that fact alone.

Next up Ted Cruz starts talking about how Hitler was a man with great ideas because of the Autobahn.

No, he knows, it's just that years of continued homophobic harassment are now, again, a mainstream thing for Republicans to defend, because our rights are getting rolled back.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

And just to put a finer point on it: it should be discussed constantly, all the time, by all of these candidates and by every Democrat party elected everywhere and anywhere no matter how red or blue the state may be. Get them on the motherfucking record and if they duck or dodge, vote them the gently caress out. Yeah, it's really that important. We've dicked around far too long as it is, pretty much longer than I've been drawing breath in my nearly 40 years on this planet. So too drat long.

Prester Jane posted:

Thank you for this :love: I've screwed up and cross the line plenty of times here too- its all water under the bridge my man.

:respek:

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 6, 2019

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

From several pages ago, but I kind of agree with this and my cuz who works for a major climate activism non-profit says they do too.

If the climate crisis is relegated to a debate, then it opens up candidates to say "I already talked about it" and ignore it as a subject in future debates and platform conversations. The winning strategy would be to force candidates to recognize the intersectionality (I know I'm appropriating this word) of climate with jobs, with the student debt crises, with national security and have it be a part of every debate and forum.

This is a great point.

I'd *love* to see climate change framed this way in the debates. Instead of a broad general "what's your plan on combating climate change" type question, have it just framed into the discussion of every issue. Just mainstream the gently caress out of it as an assumed reality in how you pose certain questions, and then there's no way to make it an identity politic/tit for tat issue.

Have questions like, "Mr. Sanders, Senator Biden, as climate change begins to cause mass population displacement globally and create very tangible domestic economic displacement here in the US, what kinds of policies would you implement or support to address the drastic acceleration of income equality that will be a natural result in our country? You'll each have 3 minutes to explain."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cruz has tweeted/retweeted a bunch of poo poo about crowder and prager u getting hosed by youtube lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

all democrats, apparently

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

luxury handset posted:

this seems apocalyptic but some people find catharsis in proclaiming the doom of man on a daily basis, i guess :shrug:

doesn't make for interesting or informative reading though

Have you... been living under a very warm rock?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Feinne posted:

Yeah it had a lot of really good takes on things but the 90s was still kind of the dark ages of 'sci-fi protagonists have to be white men'. At least there's not a B5 where they go to Planet Africa, where they kidnap women and have bones in their noses and poo poo.

I love the "cheap primary color cyclorama with some potted plants as a set" era of TNG but holy moly that episode. Surely even for the time, people realized that was embarrassing?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Have you... been living under a very warm rock?

He doesn't want to discuss the issue on its merits so he's attacking the "apocalyptic" tone of people who bring it up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You seem to have a lack of understanding of even the basic issue so scroll back and read it

I'm sorry I wasn't aware that banning a debate outside the predefined ones based on rules that have existed for years is banning all conversations of climate change.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The NY Times did an article about non-binary folks. It isn't perfect and largely focuses on one person's story, but that's ok as the stuff they have gone through is pretty illuminating and there are a few other people profiled in the article to give a broader view.

But the comments (which on the Times are usually just kinda generically middle of the road due to required moderator approval)... holy gently caress are people obsessed with "you can't use 'they' to refer to one person! 'They' is plural!" poo poo. It's like we are being held back by the gendered pronoun equivalent of the old person who rants for five minutes whenever a cashier says "No problem" instead of "you're welcome".

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ugh Im so mad the DNC isnt sanctioning a debate on homelessness. Its obviously because they dont care, and not because the ironclad parliamentary rules (which are literally years old) prevent them

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

Crowder is 31. But it also doesn't matter who he might have been. He is now a Conservative Issue of Great Importance. I expect we'll get a fun round of "I can't believe conservative voices are still being silenced! What, now I can't even call someone a lispy queer? THIS IS THE FUTURE COMMUNIST AOC WANTS!" Or... ya know, something along those lines.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm mostly mad about Jay Inslee.

Like, just in general, at his existence.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Is everyone happy if we have a climate change forum during which people argue instead of a climate change debate? If so, can we stop arguing about whether Democrats are lizard people?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Feinne posted:

AmB5 was genuinely a half-step or so ahead of its time and was genuinely trying, and some of their takes on things are really really really Progressive for the time. (Like having a black man with a redemptive arc about dealing with addiction.) Other parts of the show though I just really well-intentioned examples of some of the cultural blindness that existed at the time.

Especially when you consider the way all of the non primary races are portrayed: mostly Sheridan just yells at them for prioritizing the needs of their own planets over his plans for the war. (Like.. ...half of the times a non-principal race gets significant screentime it's because they are screwing everything up by focusing on their own peoples needs).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Petr posted:

Is everyone happy if we have a climate change forum during which people argue instead of a climate change debate? If so, can we stop arguing about whether Democrats are lizard people?

No that is the primary purpose of this forum, obviously.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Pussy Boss posted:

Why do you think the rule against participating in other debates exists?

To keep canidates from calling a million rando debates to self glorify and having people's attendance or nonattendance be read as signifying things.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

It's funny when older conservatives don't understand that "young conservative" is synonymous with "Nazi prick rear end in a top hat" in 2019.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Shifty Pony posted:

But the comments (which on the Times are usually just kinda generically middle of the road due to required moderator approval)... holy gently caress are people obsessed with "you can't use 'they' to refer to one person! 'They' is plural!" poo poo. It's like we are being held back by the gendered pronoun equivalent of the old person who rants for five minutes whenever a cashier says "No problem" instead of "you're welcome".

No one in the world actually cares about "singular vs plural they."

Like you said, moderator approval is required. These people, mostly wealthy white middle aged folks, really believe "these quote-unquote non binary millennials need to shut the gently caress up and learn what real oppression is," or whatever. But they probably figure quibbling over grammar is easier, and doesn't make them look as out of touch and intolerant, and it's not as likely to get their comment banned, and they'll probably get more thumbs up votes or whatever from the rest of the olds.

tek79 posted:

It's funny when older conservatives don't understand that "young conservative" is synonymous with "Nazi prick rear end in a top hat" in 2019.

They do understand. Older conservatives are just also Nazi prick assholes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tek79 posted:

They understand, they just don't care. Being a self described "young conservative" was also synonymous with "prick rear end in a top hat" when Ted Cruz entered politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To keep canidates from calling a million rando debates to self glorify and having people's attendance or nonattendance be read as signifying things.

Yea it'd be hosed up if presidential candidates could have events whenever they wanted for attention, thank god the DNC is stopping that.

Probably my favorite thing about Israelis is how they're so desperate to prove their incredibly safe violent ethnostate is a 24/7 battleground that they just lay claim to the most obscure family links to have their own 'war stories'.

"Think Israel is safe? Yea, think I'm being hyperbolic just to fuel my own bigotry? Well my HUSBAND'S COUSIN would disagree, fucko!!!"