Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'd probably say gently caress it too if they tried to make me do four tours in Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
If I was that dude I'd wake up every day, put on my dress uniform, walk into HQ and poo poo on the CO's desk.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
We had quite a few old guardsmen/reservists on my first deployment. One of the older and cooler ones died recently due to complications during a minor surgery. No idea if it was the VA but I assume it was. One of the bigger assholes in that flight dunked on his Facebook obituary same as he dunks on most mass shootings or when someone gets raped and it makes the news. We did have an absolutely ancient guy on that rotation though who had seen the tail end of Vietnam. He would sit around and do crossword puzzles until he fell asleep in the middle of the day and no one bothered him because the guy was in freaking ‘nam. I remember looking up what the regs were on how old you could be and still be in and I think I remember him having like maybe a year max left before even the waivers he had to have been riding wouldn’t keep him in anymore.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cenen posted:

. One of the bigger assholes in that flight dunked on his Facebook obituary same as he dunks on most mass shootings or when someone gets raped and it makes the news.

Please update us when someone murders this guy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you not taught to remove the belt and clear the feed tray first?

IIRC, he was loading for the SoG to bring chow, and rode the bolt forward.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Grem posted:

This dude flat out refused and like, what the gently caress am I gonna do to an 80 year old guy who has seen more poo poo than the rest of the entire base combined?

Sad yet hilarious

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The funny thing about the military is most leaders don't know how to respond to "Make me."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, what are they going to do, call the MPs for insubordination and dereliction of duty when the guy is just standing there?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

EBB posted:

The funny thing about the military is most leaders don't know how to respond to "Make me."

This :v:

(Ok fair enough, I got held back from promotion once because I told an LT to go gently caress himself when he wanted me to do something retarded).

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

(Ok fair enough, I got held back from promotion once because I told an LT to go gently caress himself when he wanted me to do something retarded).

The correct military response would have been to ask for the order in writing imo

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

The correct military response would have been to ask for the order in writing imo

I was a conscript at the time, so it didn't cross my mind.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

I was a conscript at the time, so it didn't cross my mind.

Ahhh again guilty of a US centric viewpoint. I'm sure that would have gone over like a fart in church

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wibla posted:

This reminds me of the joke of the three generals of different countries on joint exercises who start arguing over which country has the bravest soldiers.

obviously you can pick your fave three national stereotypes, the one I heard was with Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish.

The first general orders one of their soldier to climb up a watchtower and jump off, which he does. The second general orders one of their soldiers to do the same thing but to hold a salute while falling, which he does. The third orders one of their soldiers to do the same thing but to sing their national anthem all the way down, to which the soldier says "do it yourself rear end in a top hat!" definitively winning the argument.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We had a dude back in the Eighties* who was a Vietnam draftee still in. He was a sonar tech when I knew him, but his original rate had been PT (pigeon trainer). We were the same rank.

*disclaimer: I am old as gently caress, and got out in 1992.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We had a guy in our unit who had some ANCIENT war service medal. Can't remember if it was WWII or Cold War specific.

He earned it during the 80s and did some poo poo in the skies over East Germany.

Really wish I knew the specifics but it was pretty interesting since he was older than my mom and still in service in 08.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My unit started some mickey mouse bullshit and giving me counseling statement one after another. I would just laugh and sign them.
Then I had a stamp made saying 'Bulletsponge's Stamp of Approval' with a little thumbs up. They said that was forbidden, and gave me a counselling statement for not taking counselling statements serious. So I wrote, "I am a dorect reflection of my leadership." In the comments box. After doing it 2 or 3 times, they gave up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/_curlytrill/status/1136447113695563776

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I remember when I was like 5, and the sticker machine in the Kingsville HEB had some similar designs for Desert Storm.

It was unsettlingly nostalgic seeing the same designs dusted off, with Bin Laden's name penciled in when the GWOT got started.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4wVfeo6xI&t=69s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want to listen to more of the tape, but holy poo poo that Rocky and Bullwinkle skit is already setting off my dog.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Three Kings is fictional, and yet it's the most accurate documentary we're ever likely to get.

We liberated Kuwait!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wasabi the J posted:

I want to listen to more of the tape, but holy poo poo that Rocky and Bullwinkle skit is already setting off my dog.

The "No Winston, only Marlboro" line made me laugh. I used to know gas stations that actually did that because of how expensive Winston's used to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its Kelly's Heroes, but not funny.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its Kelly's Heroes, but not funny.

I remember seeing the trailers for Three Kings before it came out and thinking, "Holy poo poo, they're doing a remake of Kelly's Heroes!" and boy, was I only sort of right.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

There’s so much going on here that I don’t know what to say.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sarah posted:

There’s so much going on here that I don’t know what to say.

I slowly scrolled down until :discourse:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I too was able to raise my hand when they called attendance.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im amazed they're in a toytac and didnt buy 'Murican with a Ford gas v8

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Stravag posted:

Im amazed they're in a toytac and didnt buy 'Murican with a Ford gas v8

B-but it's named after a place in the USA. USA. USA. USA! USA!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

well, it's not the most pathetic thing possible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_Victory_Medal

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

not caring here posted:

For a while Ohio only had GWOT Expeditionary plates no Afghanistan/Iraq campaign plates, so unless you had a 214 for the GWOT expeditionary medal all you could get were NDSM Plates. But, that picture is too current, unless he got those plates ages ago and didn't bother to change them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Idiot leadership and idiot getting himself into things (namely, orbit): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Krikalev

tl;dr:

Soviet cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev was in space when the Soviet Union fell apart in 1991. Unable to return home, he ended up having to stay in space until further notice.
The cosmonaut eventually returned back to earth on March 25, 1992, after 10 months in orbit - to a nation that was very different to what it was when he had left. The Soviet Union had fractured into 15 nations, presidents had changed, and even his hometown of Leningrad had become St. Petersburg.

Interestingly, at the time, Krikalev was supposed to serve in the military reserves, and was almost issued a warrant for desertion – before the army realised that their reserve soldier was not even on the planet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

not caring here posted:

Medals, the original XBL/PSN achievement.

"Whoa, how long did you have to grind for that Silver Star?" :stare:

"Lost my spleen to shrapnel in 'Nam while tearing out an VC captain's throat with my bare hands." :clint:

"So in other words, you just got lucky with RNG and kept enough HP to survive." :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

Idiot leadership and idiot getting himself into things (namely, orbit): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Krikalev

tl;dr:

Soviet cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev was in space when the Soviet Union fell apart in 1991. Unable to return home, he ended up having to stay in space until further notice.
The cosmonaut eventually returned back to earth on March 25, 1992, after 10 months in orbit - to a nation that was very different to what it was when he had left. The Soviet Union had fractured into 15 nations, presidents had changed, and even his hometown of Leningrad had become St. Petersburg.

Interestingly, at the time, Krikalev was supposed to serve in the military reserves, and was almost issued a warrant for desertion – before the army realised that their reserve soldier was not even on the planet.

Wonder if someone has had an official residency address in space yet and how they dealt with that bureaucratically.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder if someone has had an official residency address in space yet and how they dealt with that bureaucratically.

Not quite the same thing but a few months ago buzz aldrin tweeted his government travel form for one of the Apollo missions. Iirc it involved some pretty nuts distances and lines like “origin: Florida. Destination: moon. Vehicle: US government space craft.”

Also included his personal ride and mileage for the trip to the launch center and the CV ride to Hawaii or wherever they dropped him off after pulling him out of the water.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not quite the same thing but a few months ago buzz aldrin tweeted his government travel form for one of the Apollo missions. Iirc it involved some pretty nuts distances and lines like “origin: Florida. Destination: moon. Vehicle: US government space craft.”

Also included his personal ride and mileage for the trip to the launch center and the CV ride to Hawaii or wherever they dropped him off after pulling him out of the water.

Space travel isn't going to expense itself!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Apollo 13 towing bill

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah Grumman sent that to North American after the mission in good fun

NA didn't take it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah Grumman sent that to North American after the mission in good fun

NA didn't take it very well.

They at least offered a cash discount.