Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress these mountain climbers. Any rear end in a top hat with $100k can pay a bunch of people to carry them up and then they get to act like they've "accomplished something important". Then they brag about how they're "doing it for their kids and family" as though they're somehow doing good stepping over bodies and leaving a mountain of frozen poo poo and empty oxygen bottles while possibly killing themselves or their guides.

Alternatively, this.

A rare topic wherein GBS and D&D are of one mind.

Personally I was only vaguely aware of climbing Mount Everest from having read a few YA books about the first successful summit attempt when I was little. It was the GBS thread that inspired me to look into it and... oh my God rich people ruin everything.

There's absolutely no achievement left in summiting Everest anymore. Well, I take that back; it's one hell of an achievement for the sherpa who drags your incompetent rear end up there, but it's no loving achievement for you. All the real work of mountaineering and as much of the risk as possible is shut it off onto the sherpa. You know how dangerous to koombu icefall is, yeah? We'll all those ropes and all those ladders and that path that guides you right through the koombu or all laid out in the dead of night (when its safest) by a special team of Sherpa known as the "Ice Doctors". Only the very best of the best professional mountaineers would stand a (slim) through of getting through the koombu icefall without sherpa.

Just so very very basic things for spending any amount of time on that mountain depend completely on the sherpa. Everest Sherpa aren't just bringing up all the gear, they're the ones setting up camp, they're the ones cooking the meals, they're the ones hiking several miles away from camp to get ice thats safe to melt down and drink*, they're the ones carrying 4 bottles of oxygen up to the summit.

*decades of everyone just making GBS threads wherever/hundreds of rotting corpses has contaminated the ice near the camps and made it very unsafe to drink. At that altitude you are being turbo dehydrated through your lungs, so you absolutely must drink a lot of water even if you're not active. All that ice has to be carried in by sherpa, and the sherpa have to carry in the fuel for the kerosene burners to melt the ice.

That bit about where the senior Sherpa talks about how everyone swears they're never coming back and this is their last year- and they're right back there again next year reminds me of some guys I met once who did Alaskan crab fishing. According to them they would all swear it off at the end of every season, and then grumpily show right back up at the boat when it was time to go.

Because they wanted a better life for their kid and they didn't want their kids to have to the things they were doing to provide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Oh no how will they know what to take for 12 hour pain relief

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cr0y posted:

Damnit Rogan can you please go back to interviewing brilliant people across all of academia and talking about funny poo poo youve done and stop giving these jackasses a platform.

he's been providing the worst of the worst a platform for literally years, consistently, op

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 6, 2019

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Google Butt posted:

he's been providing the worst of the worst a platform for literally years, consistently, op

Amazing how far technology has come, we can get so many vampires into a photograph.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Master Twig posted:

It's crazy how someone can make an entire career out of ignoring the southern strategy.

White Racists love the brown guy who says "actually the people dislike you for being racists are the real racists!" :smug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1136711379233267713

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1136711379233267713?s=21

Edit: drat YOU GROOVELORD!! YOUR GROOVE IS TOO STRONG!!!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

socialsecurity posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't aware that banning a debate outside the predefined ones based on rules that have existed for years is banning all conversations of climate change.

Next time why don't you just make your (bad) point instead of posing dumb hypothetical questions

No one said they were banned about talking about it, but being punished for talking about it anywhere they goddamn please, including in other "debates" is bullshit. It's too important an issue and it clearly seems to be a policy to help Uncle Joe

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Biden/Rogan 2020

Yo Joe!

Hey Joe! Where you going with that dumb in your hand?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/JustineStafford/status/1136711094683217920?s=19

It's all kicking off in Dublin, I guess

E: expand for sign

Glad to see Baby Trump Blimp survived it's attack.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Google Butt posted:

So I just conducted an experiment with this picture and can confirm that if you hold this picture up to a jar of cucumbers they turn into pickles within a couple moments.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Young Freud posted:

Glad to see Baby Trump Blimp survived it's attack.

Well actually all she managed to cut off it was the heel spur, so technically its even more sound that it was before.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1136700845427478535
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1136717799756390401

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Joe Rogan is the most credulous person I’ve ever seen, period. He’s like Trump in that he believes whatever the last person to talk to him says 100% without a shred of evidence.

I remember like 10 years ago seeing a video of him interviewing Les Stroud, the Survivorman guy, and Stroud starts talking about allegedly encountering a Sasquatch while filming an episode of the show and it’s clear Les is bullshitting him to hype up the show, and you can see on Joe’s face how utterly, credulously enthralled he becomes with the idea.

That was the moment when I realized “wow, Joe’s really dumb and will believe anything, holy poo poo.”

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Joe Rogan is the most credulous person I’ve ever seen, period. He’s like Trump in that he believes whatever the last person to talk to him says 100% without a shred of evidence.

I remember like 10 years ago seeing a video of him interviewing Les Stroud, the Survivorman guy, and Stroud starts talking about allegedly encountering a Sasquatch while filming an episode of the show and it’s clear Les is bullshitting him to hype up the show, and you can see on Joe’s face how utterly, credulously enthralled he becomes with the idea.

That was the moment when I realized “wow, Joe’s really dumb and will believe anything, holy poo poo.”

He has completely fried his brain hard, yet somehow people see him as a credible source on loving anything

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol an oped piece from John Delaney just showing up in WaPo against Medicare for All. Is this guy not tired of getting owned or what?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Failed Imagineer posted:

Joe has always been dumb as gently caress and bad.

Rogen or Biden you ask? Yes

Take it to the primate thread.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

The only things he'll push back on are bad martial arts opinions and contrails. Otherwise yeah, he'll believe whatever the last person told him, and if the very next day he has a guest to debunk it he'll go "oh yeah.... that last guy was full of bullshit".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol an oped piece from John Delaney just showing up in WaPo against Medicare for All. Is this guy not tired of getting owned or what?

For some reason I thought you were talking about John Mulaney. I was horrified and appalled, yet intrigued.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
I caught parts of Rogan's David Pakman interview about the Youtube/Crowder stuff and it is completely loving obvious he doesn't even have a basic understanding of what left/right or capitalism/anti-capitalism is. I don't even know what the gently caress he's going on about Google and Silicon Valley being leftist entities lol

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Next time why don't you just make your (bad) point instead of posing dumb hypothetical questions

No one said they were banned about talking about it, but being punished for talking about it anywhere they goddamn please, including in other "debates" is bullshit. It's too important an issue and it clearly seems to be a policy to help Uncle Joe

If this is a conspiracy by the DNC to arrange the debates so that topics Biden is bad on never show up, what are the topics you think Biden is “good” on that they’ll focus on instead?

Edit:

Tibalt posted:

Careful buddy, talk like that'll get you a mean avatar.

hahahaha look at you calling it and getting an avatar for calling it

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2019

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

A sasquatch?! Those things are loving huge. Pull that up Jamie. No, the one we were looking at... yeah. Look at that loving thing. What a monster. They'll will gently caress. You. Up. And possibly eat you.

Do you think Brock could gently caress up a squatch?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I loved those Suvivorman episodes and then Les went all Bigfoot crazy and it was really strange. I dunno if he was really serious or just collecting a paycheck or what.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jusmas27/status/1136601915024916480

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are in the declaration of independence which is not legally binding. Checkmate, li*dies in climate-induced extreme weather event*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Prester Jane posted:

As much as I love to rant on and on about white privilege, the issue isn't whiteness, that's just how it's manifesting in our particular culture, the issue is privilege itself.

This is a neat little 20-minute documentary about the conditions on Mount Everest this year. As you can see privileged people the world around have the exact same problems with an entitlement complex/complete lack of empathy. I'm in love with this particular little documentary because it focuses on the perspective of the Sherpas and how they view what's happening to their exploited community/holy mountain.

Note this may be slightly NSFW as it does show several corpse recovery efforts and huge piles of trash/feces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmH0__c7aw

Like much as I have hurled accusations of privilege at various people in this thread; in my heart of hearts I don't believe any one of you would be comfortable with forcing a sherpa to make multiple trips through the khumbu icefall so that you could dine comfortably in a heated tent on your climb up Everest.

Geeez, it's like the Chilkoot Pass all over again

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeleton warrior posted:

If this is a conspiracy by the DNC to arrange the debates so that topics Biden is bad on never show up, what are the topics you think Biden is “good” on that they’ll focus on instead?

He's bad on all the issues but he's unforgivably bad on Climate Change

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Joe Rogan was always bad even if his guests weren’t always so regularly deplorable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Geeez, it's like the Chilkoot Pass all over again

China and Nepal aren’t requiring a ton of food per person though like the Mounties did

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Could any of you good folks ID this crowd. I recognize the slimy Shapiro, who are the rest of them?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I loved those Suvivorman episodes and then Les went all Bigfoot crazy and it was really strange. I dunno if he was really serious or just collecting a paycheck or what.

Probably a mix of both. I know someone IRL who’s otherwise smart and sane and level-headed and I respect him a lot, but he’s also stone cold convinced he survived a run in with Bigfoot on a camping trip with his buddies when he was younger. And the way he talked about the ordeal was the same way Les described it to Rogan where it almost made you want to believe it, but then you step back and go “no, this is bullshit, what the gently caress?”

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:suicide:

"Yes the Earth is dying and we all hosed, but you don't have the right to live on a sustainable Earth anyway"

loving what?!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

:suicide:

"Yes the Earth is dying and we all hosed, but you don't have the right to live on a sustainable Earth anyway"

loving what?!

Just codifying into law that we don't have to do anything.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

bornbytheriver posted:

Could any of you good folks ID this crowd. I recognize the slimy Shapiro, who are the rest of them?

looks like jordan peterson, sam harris, dave rubin? don't know who the last guy is

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

TulliusCicero posted:

Corporate attorneys are a special breed of awful. It might just be because they've argued in favor of poisoning people since they've existed, or whatever, but their understanding of law is entirely literal. There isn't a statute that explicitly says that you have a right to live in place that will continue to exist, so there's no requirement to make sure people are taken care of. It's like Prester Jane said earlier, the politics of a sociopath, but legally it's a sound argument (because the laws need to be changed holy poo poo this country is run on paper that would crumble to dust if you touched it)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Is this that lawsuit from the schoolkids over holding the Land in trust?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So by this argument it's legal to start a massive forest fire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ershalim posted:

Corporate attorneys are a special breed of awful. It might just be because they've argued in favor of poisoning people since they've existed, or whatever, but their understanding of law is entirely literal. There isn't a statute that explicitly says that you have a right to live in place that will continue to exist, so there's no requirement to make sure people are taken care of. It's like Prester Jane said earlier, the politics of a sociopath, but legally it's a sound argument (because the laws need to be changed holy poo poo this country is run on paper that would crumble to dust if you touched it)

When all the humans are dead, there will be nothing but Law, and the universe will be all the more perfect for it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Carew posted:

looks like jordan peterson, sam harris, dave rubin? don't know who the last guy is

Sam Harris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Petr posted:

I love the "cheap primary color cyclorama with some potted plants as a set" era of TNG but holy moly that episode. Surely even for the time, people realized that was embarrassing?

What I've heard is the guy who directed that episode was just racist as poo poo and kind of went off the reservation making it, that the script was just 'they go to a planet that has poo poo they need but whoops they fall afoul of a plot by the leader to off his wife' which would have been fine without the trappings of the actual episode.

Prester Jane posted:

AmB5 was genuinely a half-step or so ahead of its time and was genuinely trying, and some of their takes on things are really really really Progressive for the time. (Like having a black man with a redemptive arc about dealing with addiction.) Other parts of the show though I just really well-intentioned examples of some of the cultural blindness that existed at the time.

Especially when you consider the way all of the non primary races are portrayed: mostly Sheridan just yells at them for prioritizing the needs of their own planets over his plans for the war. (Like.. ...half of the times a non-principal race gets significant screentime it's because they are screwing everything up by focusing on their own peoples needs).

I think it does work a bit better when you look at it through the lens that most of the problems in the series are caused by someone focusing on the wrong thing. The Centauri arc features them focusing on personal aggrandizement over what's best for their people, the Narn arc is similar but for revenge, Dr. Franklin focuses on his job over his own health and wellbeing, etc.

To wrap it back around it's the same problem as the republican party's focus on trying to make the lives of those without power just that little bit more intolerable every day because it makes their almost as powerless supporters feel better about themselves.