Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bornbytheriver posted:

Could any of you good folks ID this crowd. I recognize the slimy Shapiro, who are the rest of them?

What? You don't recognize the members of the Intellectual Dark Web?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feinne posted:

What I've heard is the guy who directed that episode was just racist as poo poo and kind of went off the reservation making it

Lol phrasing

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Feinne posted:

What I've heard is the guy who directed that episode was just racist as poo poo and kind of went off the reservation making it, that the script was just 'they go to a planet that has poo poo they need but whoops they fall afoul of a plot by the leader to off his wife' which would have been fine without the trappings of the actual episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharyn_Powers

She uh... yeah.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feinne posted:

What I've heard is the guy who directed that episode was just racist as poo poo and kind of went off the reservation making it, that the script was just 'they go to a planet that has poo poo they need but whoops they fall afoul of a plot by the leader to off his wife' which would have been fine without the trappings of the actual episode.

The script read described the planet's inhabitants/culture as "Tribal" and the director was pretty racist and just went nuts. He never directed for them again and they even replaced him halfway through filming but the budget of TNG was such they couldn't just scrap the episode or redo the whole thing. It's real bad though

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mendrian posted:

So by this argument it's legal to start a massive forest fire.

If this holds true, I’d like to start a massive tire burning company in public grounds surrounding conservative towns, and offer to take care of heavy metal chemicals with convenient disposal in their local watershed and creeks.

Think of all the money I’ll be saving, and the productivity gains!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ripoff posted:

If this holds true, I’d like to start a massive tire burning company in public grounds surrounding conservative towns, and offer to take care of heavy metal chemicals with convenient disposal in their local watershed and creeks.

It looks like you'll have to come up with a method of pollution that isn't covered by any existing law. If you can dodge all of those, there is no catchall that outlaws all pollution in general, so you should be in the clear.

Next on the agenda, how do we stop that annoying do-gooder Captain Planet...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ripoff posted:

While your example is hilarious, I think it would actually be prohibitive under current law.

Which is hilarious because it establishes how stupid the current laws are; they are designed to address specific expressions of bad environmental policy and even though everybody knows what the spirit is behind those laws, they absolutely will not extrapolate to include those things because god forbid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What the gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1136343111922331653

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Whelp, when fascism is seizing control of the country it seems only natural that eugenics would make a comeback.

It starts with child molesters because hey who can disagree with castrating child molesters. But that's not where it'll stay naturally.

There's a whole bunch of people in this country the right wing would love to see prevented from having children.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

Is this that lawsuit from the schoolkids over holding the Land in trust?

I think it's from Juliana v US lawsuit in Oregon where the kids are suing the government for health risks related to climate change. This is from the filing, "Even if Plaintiffs could satisfy those threshold requirements, their Fifth Amendment claims fail as a matter of law because there is no fundamental constitutional right to a “stable climate system,”"

source: http://blogs2.law.columbia.edu/climate-change-litigation/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/case-documents/2019/20190201_docket-18-36082_brief.pdf

update: interesting write up about it from NEJM https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1905504

Toobly fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 6, 2019

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Carew posted:

looks like jordan peterson, sam harris, dave rubin? don't know who the last guy is

Eric Weinstein

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Prester Jane posted:

There's a whole bunch of people in this country the right wing would love to see prevented from having children.

They already publicly joke about this all the time, but privately (or when they think they are only talking to their own audience) this is often a topic of very serious discussion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rigel posted:

They already publicly joke about this all the time, but privately (or when they think they are only talking to their own audience) this is often a topic of very serious discussion.

See also "IQ test required to vote"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is nothing new, IIRC multiple states have had chemical castration on the books for awhile now.

Looks like 9 states.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_castration#United_States

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rigel posted:

Yeah, among the more outspoken conservative circles they're very much into the idea of chemical (or physical) castration of sexual predators. But when they say that they're including trans people and gay men. There was a recent uproar about wanting to chemically sterilize trans people before they underwent corrective surgery as a prerequisite to getting that (or any) therapy. TL;DR their ideas sound bad but are actually worse.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Data Graham posted:

See also "IQ test required to vote"

I still think its damned near a miracle that Amendment 4 in Florida passed by the required 60% supermajority.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

This is nothing new, IIRC multiple states have had chemical castration on the books for awhile now.

And the laws have not been thrown out? Do they actually do castration in US?

Edit: looks like FDA has never approved it so its not been done

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Cruel and unusual punishment much?

Not siding with child molesters here, but they're already put on a list for life after serving their time and often get zoned out of housing and jobs, sometimes ending up homeless in encampments with other sex offenders on the outskirts of towns or stacked up on top of one another in whatever housing they can find.

Or they end up living illegally and risk getting thrown back in prison for a crime unrelated to their initial offense. We're not talking the ones that intentionally move in next to elementary schools here.

Maybe a system of comprehensive and understanding mental healthcare for people that struggle with abnormal sexual deviance would be a better solution than concentrating sex criminals and promoting recidivism?

Lol nope, let's just castrate em'. I'm sure that won't have any negative mental health consequences for an already vulnerable population.

gently caress sex crime of every kind, as if I need to say that. But there's a big need for an adjustment in the way we handle these people and the system we've created around them.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 6, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Reminder that forced castration laws probably violate the federal constitution. If Republicans keep winning presidential elections though, they may be able to appoint a majority of justices who don’t really believe in substantive due process. In that event, we may once again have to consider if “three generations of imbeciles are enough.”

But I guess it doesn’t matter because Dems bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If I recall correctly from my 14th amendment class, the state technically still has the authority to order sterilizations. Buck v Bell, I think?

Yep: https://www.oyez.org/cases/1900-1940/274us200

Statutes have been repealed in places but that’s still good law, alarmingly.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ummm.....yeah.

quote:

Number of victims
In total, 7325 individuals were sterilized in Virginia under its sterilization law. Of those sterilized about half were deemed “mentally ill” and the other half deemed “mentally deficient.” Approximately 62% of total individuals sterilized were female. Some estimate the total number of sterilizations as high as 8,300 individuals (Dorr 2006, p. 382).

Period during which sterilization occurred
Sterilization in Virginia occurred under state law between 1924 and 1979. It thus appeared to have continued such sterilizations longer than any other state (Landman 1932, pp. 83-4; Largent 2008, p. 80). There are known instances of eugenic sterilization before 1924 (Dorr 2008, p. 116).

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Edit: looks like FDA has never approved it so its not been done

I can't find a good source for this, but there are places that seem to offer the option to get chemically or physically castrated in return for a lower sentence. Everything I'm searching just keeps bringing back the same 3 articles. I'm curious if/how much it still happens. My gut says the FDA objection to it means that it can't be forced onto someone, but state actors could "persuade" someone to "volunteer" to the procedure. But I may just be being cynical.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ogmius815 posted:

Reminder that forced castration laws currently violate the federal constitution. If Republicans keep winning presidential elections though, they may be able to appoint a majority of justices who don’t really believe in substantive due process. In that event, we may once again have to consider if “three generations of imbeciles are enough.”

Hey remember when the Democrats fought to maintain control of the Supreme Court because it's so important?

Oh yeah, observable reality directly contradicts your argument here. I'm sorry that criticism of your leaders makes you feel insecure- but these leaders are aren't going to do anything except lead us all off a cliff. They prove it over and over and over again.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ogmius lying about the constitution and lying about Dems

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, after a lot of searching, some people argue that it may violate the 8th amendment, but the SCOTUS has never directly confronted castration, so it seems to be fine under the constitution right now.

edit: at least the court has never ruled on the 8th amendment argument, apparently there's a very old 14th amendment case.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 6, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Two truths to counter two lies:

Forced sterilization is legal and Dems are good

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Calibanibal posted:

Come on. You can do better.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Calibanibal posted:

If I ever find myself in a bizarre universe where my destiny is controlled by the messages in magic fortune cookies- I hope Calivanibsl is the magic genie writing the fortune cookie messages.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/06/fcc-allows-att-verizon-other-carriers-block-more-suspected-robocalls

quote:

The FCC allows AT&T, Verizon and other carriers to block more suspected robocalls

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday approved new rules that could make it easier for AT&T, Verizon and other telecom giants to block suspected spam calls on behalf of their subscribers, a move meant to crack down on the ever-worsening scourge a month after robocallers rang Americans’ phones nearly 5 billion times.

Under the order, telecom carriers have a legal greenlight to enroll consumers in their call-blocking services by default, as opposed to waiting for customers to sign up for such tools on their own. The change would “make it easier for consumers” to get robocall relief, said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, noting that many people often are unaware such technology exists.

“There is one thing in our country that unites Republicans and Democrats,” Pai said. “They are sick and tired of being bothered by unwanted robocalls.”

Pai’s proposal cleared the commission with bipartisan support, but not without reservations from Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel, who expressed concern that the agency did not require AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile to offer free call-blocking services. The omission could lead to higher prices on subscribers’ monthly wireless bills, she warned.

“I think robocall solutions should be free to consumers. Full stop,” Rosenworcel said. “I do not think that this agency should pat itself on the back for its efforts to reduce robocalls and then tell consumers to pay up.”

The FCC’s vote Thursday comes amid heightened pressure — particularly from the public — for the U.S. government and the nation’s top telecom carriers to crack down on billions of unwanted spam calls, many of which are attempts to trick recipients into surrendering their personal information. Last year, the agency received more than 232,000 complaints from consumers frustrated with spam calls, FCC officials said.

The FCC also permitted AT&T, Verizon and other carriers to create tools that might allow consumers to block calls coming from anyone other than the contacts already stored in their address books.

Commissioners advanced debate on an additional order that would shield telecom giants from legal liability if they erroneously block calls they cannot authenticate as legitimate.

In doing so, however, the FCC stopped short of a broader rewrite of the nation’s anti-robocall rules, an overhaul consumer groups have urged the agency and Congress to consider. Organizations such as the National Consumer Law Center and the Consumers Union told the telecom agency in February that they welcomed the FCC’s recent work but fretted that it was only a “stopgap measure that will do little to address the larger problem.”

Meanwhile, Pai’s proposal triggered a groundswell of industry lobbying, particularly on the part of financial institutions, debt collectors and hospitals. They met in May with the FCC chairman’s top aides to express concern that the new call-blocking rules could result “in the erroneous blocking of lawful, and often urgent, calls affecting consumer health, safety, and financial well-being,” according to agency records. That includes local utility outages, health-care reminders and vehicle recall notices, which they said might be labeled as spam.

For now, the nation’s top four carriers have said little about how they plan to proceed now that the FCC has opened the door for them to offer call-blocking tools by default. The FCC’s recent efforts on call blocking are not mandatory, meaning telecom giants could choose not to change their practices. Pai and his peers said they did not expect any new offerings to result in higher prices for consumers, given the savings telecom giants might realize as a result of reducing robocall traffic on their networks.

“Now it is time for telecom companies to take the baton,” Pai said.

Ahead of the vote, AT&T said it would review the FCC’s order but did not comment further on whether it would change its practices or whether it would charge consumers for any new call-blocking tools it offers. One of its tools, a free app known as Call Protect, requires users to download and enable it.

Verizon said it intends “to use this new authority that the FCC is giving us to more effectively protect our customers from robocalls,” pointing out that one of its robocall-blocking services, called Call Filter, is already available free to subscribers.

T-Mobile says it offers two services free — Scam ID, a default-on tool that alerts users to suspected fraudulent calls, and Scam Block, a default-off tool that prevents users from receiving them. It did not offer further comment on the FCC’s plans.

Sprint, which offers a premium call-blocking service for a monthly fee, said it is “optimistic the chairman’s most recent proposed changes will allow us to take more aggressive action in addressing this issue.”

It did not comment further on future pricing or availability.

lol they're going to start charging all their customers to 'block' robocalls without warning

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rex-Goliath posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/06/fcc-allows-att-verizon-other-carriers-block-more-suspected-robocalls

lol they're going to start charging all their customers to 'block' robocalls without warning

I was reading that, got to that line about it not being stipulated it had to be free, and went, "oh. Yeah, there it is." Cause a problem and then charge to fix it. Costs always find a way to the consumer under a republican administration.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bornbytheriver posted:

Could any of you good folks ID this crowd. I recognize the slimy Shapiro, who are the rest of them?

left to right we got jordan peterson, eric weinstein (managing director at thiel capital), ben shapiro, dave "the rube" rubin, joe rogan, sam harris

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/drvox/status/1136737241810624513

Disease is spreading through the overcrowded concentration camps. Who could have ever predicted this would happen?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Reminder that forced castration laws probably violate the federal constitution. If Republicans keep winning presidential elections though, they may be able to appoint a majority of justices who don’t really believe in substantive due process. In that event, we may once again have to consider if “three generations of imbeciles are enough.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fun trivia: the US lead the world in forced castrations, sterilizations, and other eugenic techniques, and noted conservative hellhole California lead America in their use before that mean Mr. Hitler took all the shine off the idea.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rex-Goliath posted:

At first, I couldn't believe that Ajit Pai, massive piece of poo poo that he is, had done something nominally good. then I saw he made sure they could profit from it. Of course.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1136738210065915904?s=19

:hmmyes:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mean look at the comments straight up calling for instant death penalty for people even accused of it.

Great way to get pedos into therapy: tell them they will get their balls destroyed if they even bring it up.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1136744717482377216

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1136687742233001985

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Whelp, when fascism is seizing control of the country it seems only natural that eugenics would make a comeback.

You rang? https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/bxesqn/babies_born_with_severe_mental_disabilities/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

When all the humans are dead, there will be nothing but Law, and the universe will be all the more perfect for it.

6 Juggernaut Star, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Feinne posted:

I think it does work a bit better when you look at it through the lens that most of the problems in the series are caused by someone focusing on the wrong thing. The Centauri arc features them focusing on personal aggrandizement over what's best for their people, the Narn arc is similar but for revenge, Dr. Franklin focuses on his job over his own health and wellbeing, etc.

To wrap it back around it's the same problem as the republican party's focus on trying to make the lives of those without power just that little bit more intolerable every day because it makes their almost as powerless supporters feel better about themselves.

I think also you have to remember that B5 takes its arching story from LoTR, hence you get Tolkein's savior parable filtered in, plus hiring that would of course want a female lead.

I do give credit for doing a few things:

Highlighting a rising homegrown fascist dtate, where humanity in fact is not uniformly the good guys.

Having a LGBTQ relationship that isn't hammered into your face or intensely sexualized.

Having excellent nonhuman characters with story arcs.

I think especially now the creeping fascist stuff feels far more relevant now than it ever did in the 90s.