Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does this even mean

Yes the country that is deploying the full force of it's state propaganda machine to tell it's citizens the U.S is evil and to be careful when traveling there is totally closer to making a deal than suddenly pulling it's ambassadorship or something any day now. Maybe if the guy ever paid attention to anything other than Fox News propaganda he might be aware of the situation though, but sure just say whatever sounds convenient to the camera.

It's pretty much common wisdom among everybody but his base now that the guy has absolutely no loving idea about what's going on around him or in the world politically unless it directly relates to his image at which point it's ALL he can pay attention too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IamdqXfOpSc

I pretty much imagine this is what it's like trying to brief the guy on literally anything.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

I'm no professor of the law but this sounds illegal

On a scale of 1 to 10 this would be rated as “CRIMES”

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

[Clipboard banging intensifies]

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 this would be rated as “CRIMES”

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Rep. Rashida Tlaib tears up while reading death threat at white supremacy hearing"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rashida-tlaib-gets-emotional-while-reading-death-threat-at-white-supremacy-hearing/

quote:

A House Oversight Committee hearing on white supremacy and domestic terrorism took a personal turn on Tuesday when freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan broke down in tears during her testimony while reading a death threat sent to her office. She was questioning Michael McGarrity, assistant director of the FBI's counterterrorism division, about the Justice Department's handling of domestic terrorism.

June 5, 2019

Included video. Sorry if I missed it here.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Otteration posted:

"Rep. Rashida Tlaib tears up while reading death threat at white supremacy hearing"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rashida-tlaib-gets-emotional-while-reading-death-threat-at-white-supremacy-hearing/

June 5, 2019

Included video. Sorry if I missed it here.

"Can't be domestic terrorism if you're white, sorry." was basically what I got out of the AOC segment of that hearing. The actual response was more along the lines of "it has to involve a foreign terrorist group to be considered terrorism" even though they have no problem calling any terrorist attack by Muslims terrorism even when there isn't a proven link.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does this even mean

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does this even mean

It means Trump is still confused, and believes his tarrifs are a tax on China, rather than a tax on US citizens and businesses.

"we're getting 25 percent on $250 billion" in Trump speak translates to a mental model of "The US is getting 25% back of the $250 billion trade deficit back into the US Treasury because of my tariff on China."

He doesn't know what a trade deficit means, nor does he know even the most basic definition of a tarrif. This carries over to his supporters as well. I have talked with a number of Trump supporters now about the tariffs, and they are 100% convinced that China is paying the tarrifs to the US. When confronted with the real definition of a tariff, they are both confused, and suspect that maybe Trump is just calling his "china tax" a tariff mistakenly. :psyduck:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

He's literally an enemy of the country at this point. Being on his staff is literal treason.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pseudanonymous posted:

He's literally an enemy of the country at this point. Being on his staff is literal treason.

:lol:

Its a lot of things, but its not literally treason.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

The Glumslinger posted:

Nah I’m not so sure.

I mean obviously not every single member of his staff is party to actual treason.

But a shitload of the higher ups are definitely party to crimes that are anathema to American interests and national security, which actually could fit into the treason category.

mctesticle
Sep 28, 2004
Treason - literally the crime of betraying one's country.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1136789923208552448

Can't wait to read how he worded it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't Hyde my disdain for presidential candidate Joe Biden.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
So you guys ready for Monday's tariffs on Mexico? I've been stocking up on Avocados for work lately with our last orders on Sunday. They usually are unripe since they're cheaper than the ripe and takes like 5 to 7 days to be riped so hopefully it won't take too long for Trump to eventually come up with some B.S. to drop the tariffs.

If not... Well I don't know what the reaction would be when everyone see all the food prices jumping up overnight at the supermarket 😦

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does this even mean

he is gonna keep doing it until china submits to be a vassal state.

LegendaryFrog posted:

It means Trump is still confused, and believes his tarrifs are a tax on China, rather than a tax on US citizens and businesses.

"we're getting 25 percent on $250 billion" in Trump speak translates to a mental model of "The US is getting 25% back of the $250 billion trade deficit back into the US Treasury because of my tariff on China."

He doesn't know what a trade deficit means, nor does he know even the most basic definition of a tarrif. This carries over to his supporters as well. I have talked with a number of Trump supporters now about the tariffs, and they are 100% convinced that China is paying the tarrifs to the US. When confronted with the real definition of a tariff, they are both confused, and suspect that maybe Trump is just calling his "china tax" a tariff mistakenly. :psyduck:

I don't think he cares either. part of it is just trumps massive toxic mindset. at this point he just doesn't want any deal with china that isnt them groveling whiling bending the knee and signing some Boxer Protocol type trade deal.

jesus. he looks how he sounds. also holy gently caress this is some openly criminal poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1136791983165513728

also glenn on a nazi show defending a massive homophobic rear end in a top hat who is the real "marginalized" person.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Glumslinger posted:

He's doing things that damage the United States, no matter how you look at it, and they are giving aid and comfort to him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOMbqPHFwo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Luckyellow posted:

So you guys ready for Monday's tariffs on Mexico? I've been stocking up on Avocados for work lately with our last orders on Sunday. They usually are unripe since they're cheaper than the ripe and takes like 5 to 7 days to be riped so hopefully it won't take too long for Trump to eventually come up with some B.S. to drop the tariffs.

If not... Well I don't know what the reaction would be when everyone see all the food prices jumping up overnight at the supermarket 😦

it’s a 5% tariff not 500%

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

And that will break some restaurants. The margins of profits are already razor-thin.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dr Biden and Mr Hyde

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also glenn on a nazi show defending a massive homophobic rear end in a top hat who is the real "marginalized" person.

lmao at the leftists who continue to defend greenwald

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fool_of_sound posted:

gleng.png

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Rex-Goliath posted:

The last threat got Trader Joe's to go from $1.00 to $1.89 for one here in LA. It just got lowered to $1.59 this past week. Stores aren't gonna adjust only by 5%.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I like this thesis: when they run inspiring characters, Democrats win (Carter, Clinton, Obama). When they run "safe" candidates, they lose (Dukakis, Kerry, Clinton)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05/joe-biden-electability-argument-is-how-democrats-lose-elections

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DarkHorse posted:

I like this thesis: when they run inspiring characters, Democrats win (Carter, Clinton, Obama). When they run "safe" candidates, they lose (Dukakis, Kerry, Clinton)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05/joe-biden-electability-argument-is-how-democrats-lose-elections

Yes, charisma is important for a politician

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ha ha go gently caress yourself you stupid bastard, god Biden sucks

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

I politely asked that if anyone mention Glenn, an accompanying insult is compulsory.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

yeah. they need charisma and they need a real stance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

i don't think they exist anymore.

looks like an npc from a mid aught game.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

"Can't be domestic terrorism if you're white, sorry." was basically what I got out of the AOC segment of that hearing. The actual response was more along the lines of "it has to involve a foreign terrorist group to be considered terrorism" even though they have no problem calling any terrorist attack by Muslims terrorism even when there isn't a proven link.

I think part of it is that they would have to classify a lot of their past actions as being terrorism if they didn't have that little "must be foreign group" to count conditional. US history is rife with some pretty awful poo poo. The powers that be have a vested interest in not having to take a look at any of it too closely. If white america could be called terrorist, white america would have to own up to having BEEN terrorists. It's a hard sell.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kramdar posted:

The last threat got Trader Joe's to go from $1.00 to $1.89 for one here in LA. It just got lowered to $1.59 this past week. Stores aren't gonna adjust only by 5%.

This.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He looks like Bill Nye did the saiyan fusion dance with Rush Limbaugh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That dog is dead by now anyway. :smith:

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

LegendaryFrog posted:

The man is an idiot, to be sure, but I think this sort of misinformation is performative. It's not that he doesn't know or hasn't been told that tariffs are taxes, it just benefits him and his followers for the base to believe that's true. Like how most people are totally confused about how marginal taxes work, it benefits the people with all the money at the expense of the poor and uneducated. They like that poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

"I am now against it because it's unpopular."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

glenn is a man of remarkable consistency. unfortunately that consistency got its start as a 90s libertarian getting real mad at the ACLU for trying to prosecute nazis. on the national security beat, he is very, very good, in a way that all of his one-time contemporaries very promptly proved they were not, and we owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for his service in that regard. on the subject of the rising tide of fascism in brazil, he is also good.

in literally any other arena, hoo boy, do you get to see exactly what a 90s libertarian thought about being asked not to say the n-word.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He's gotta do it to oppose the security state... somehow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ershalim posted:

The man is an idiot, to be sure, but I think this sort of misinformation is performative. It's not that he doesn't know or hasn't been told that tariffs are taxes, it just benefits him and his followers for the base to believe that's true. Like how most people are totally confused about how marginal taxes work, it benefits the people with all the money at the expense of the poor and uneducated. They like that poo poo.

yeah. he doesn't care. at some point the economy will pop(hopefully under him) and he will just blame everyone else and keep doing what he is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he doesn't care. at some point the economy will pop(hopefully under him) and he will just blame everyone else and keep doing what he is doing.

Right? We all have a copy of this play book. Why the hell does it keep working?