Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

He's gotta do it to oppose the security state... somehow.

yeah, defending homophobic edgy religious nuts to own idk, clinton or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

The man is an idiot, to be sure, but I think this sort of misinformation is performative. It's not that he doesn't know or hasn't been told that tariffs are taxes, it just benefits him and his followers for the base to believe that's true. Like how most people are totally confused about how marginal taxes work, it benefits the people with all the money at the expense of the poor and uneducated. They like that poo poo.

It has been reported multiple times that his advisers have tried to explain it to him multiple times and he just won't listen. Yes he is really that dumb.

He doesn't even understand trade deficits for gently caress's sake.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pembroke Fuse posted:

He's gotta do it to oppose the security state... somehow.

he appears to be the single 90s libertarian who actually believed any of the inane bullshit they were spouting, instead of merely being a republican who wanted to smoke weed.

somehow more embarrassing, to be honest. say what you like about the libertarians who went fash the second Bush told them there was oil in it for them, at least there's an appreciation of rational self-interest there, a hopelessly incoherent ideology crashing against the rocks of reality and reforming itself into something more straightforwardly grotesque. seeing someone who actually believes the free market of ideas must never price in an externality, because that is censorship, is plain old weird.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

zenguitarman posted:

I'm no professor of the law but this sounds illegal

I wonder if someone filed a bar complaint against him over this

Kramdar posted:

The last threat got Trader Joe's to go from $1.00 to $1.89 for one here in LA. It just got lowered to $1.59 this past week. Stores aren't gonna adjust only by 5%.

When I worked at a grocery store in Texas people regularly complained when avocados were more than 50 cents

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

It has been reported multiple times that his advisers have tried to explain it to him multiple times and he just won't listen. Yes he is really that dumb.

He doesn't even understand trade deficits for gently caress's sake.

I mean, yeah, sure. But that's probably also performative. His "not listening" and the inability for anyone to control him certainly seem to make people a lot of money. You follow? Yeah, he's an unscrupulous shitcan, but it's shitcans all the way down. Think of Brexit: will it do irreparable harm to the UK's economy? Yep! But the people who already own everything aren't gonna feel it. They'll probably make billions.

I imagine the situation here is the same. The media conglomerates covering the situations are owned by the same people, after all. Even if Trump IS an idiot, there's a lot to be said for making your strengths look like weaknesses to the people you intend to exploit. If it isn't him doing that, then the people under him are. The administration isn't one person, regardless of how often it's portrayed that way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it would legit be cool if precedent for government regulation of the three websites that comprise all social media resulted from this, tbh

there's not a chance in hell, it's too convenient a thing to yell about and the companies in question have deep pockets, but oh boy, how owned the libs would be if the conservatives established 'yeah this is too important to leave to the operation of the free market'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ershalim posted:

I mean, yeah, sure. But that's probably also performative. His "not listening" and the inability for anyone to control him certainly seem to make people a lot of money. You follow? Yeah, he's an unscrupulous shitcan, but it's shitcans all the way down. Think of Brexit: will it do irreparable harm to the UK's economy? Yep! But the people who already own everything aren't gonna feel it. They'll probably make billions.

I imagine the situation here is the same. The media conglomerates covering the situations are owned by the same people, after all. Even if Trump IS an idiot, there's a lot to be said for making your strengths look like weaknesses to the people you intend to exploit. If it isn't him doing that, then the people under him are. The administration isn't one person, regardless of how often it's portrayed that way.

sure but i honestly don't think its as deep as that. trump is just petty and dumb and thinks he is always right even when he is obviously wrong.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

the few(?) regressives that still have cable tv need to deplat Fox from cable, gently caress them, FN can sacrifice all their money because there's only one viewer that matters.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he appears to be the single 90s libertarian who actually believed any of the inane bullshit they were spouting, instead of merely being a republican who wanted to smoke weed.

somehow more embarrassing, to be honest. say what you like about the libertarians who went fash the second Bush told them there was oil in it for them, at least there's an appreciation of rational self-interest there, a hopelessly incoherent ideology crashing against the rocks of reality and reforming itself into something more straightforwardly grotesque. seeing someone who actually believes the free market of ideas must never price in an externality, because that is censorship, is plain old weird.

The two weirdest creatures on this planet are true libertarians (not just Republicans + weed, sex workers) and true neoliberals (not just Republicans + an economics degree). GG is like a right-wing version of Cass Sunstein: https://www.thenation.com/article/cass-sunstein-on-freedom-book-review/

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1136791983165513728

also glenn on a nazi show defending a massive homophobic rear end in a top hat who is the real "marginalized" person.

And of course the replies are filling up with Nazis.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't think they exist anymore.

looks like an npc from a mid aught game.

Oblivion potato-face syndrome strikes once more

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cr0y posted:

Damnit Rogan can you please go back to interviewing brilliant people across all of academia and talking about funny poo poo youve done and stop giving these jackasses a platform.

Talking about bigfoot would also be an acceptable alternative.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

I wonder if someone filed a bar complaint against him over this

When I worked at a grocery store in Texas people regularly complained when avocados were more than 50 cents

If you're not buying $2.50 avocados from your little Mexican bodegas I don't know what you're doing. My cut off is $3.50.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RandomBlue posted:

"Can't be domestic terrorism if you're white, sorry." was basically what I got out of the AOC segment of that hearing. The actual response was more along the lines of "it has to involve a foreign terrorist group to be considered terrorism" even though they have no problem calling any terrorist attack by Muslims terrorism even when there isn't a proven link.

That's basically what it is and he basically admitted as much and then sheepishly kind of realized it from what I saw. A "terrorist" can only be charged if its connected to some foreign ideology of attack. They regard a "jihad" from various groups like ISIS and Al Queda. So if a random rear end Muslim in America commits an attack even if there's no clear link to a terrorist group its just part of the "jihad". So literally "only Muslims can commit terrorist attacks, and all terrorist attacks are committed by Muslims... but only because that's what the law says."

Which he denied and then when he started to explain it he seemed to clearly recognize that "oh yeah..."

Like the entire legal argument seems to be "if a bunch of foreign white nationalists declared war on us and Congress declared them terrorists then we could charge white nationalists with terrorists, but whelp, we're only at war with Muslims." So I guess the good news is if Trump gets 4 more years they might expand the scope so that Mexicans and South Americans can be terrorists too or something.

This was the weirdest article to read. Like I'm pretty sure he was mocking the conspiracy theories but sometimes it seemed like he didn't understand that you can't hear a sarcastic tone of voice in writing. But then he sure did devote a LOT of writing to addressing random rear end Twitter conspiracy theories. He seems to debunk all the conspiracy theories but he also seemed weirdly open to the theories themselves.

In 2019 I just have no idea where the person I'm reading is at on the idea of insane rear end conspiracy poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Once again, Biden literally adapting his positions to how the public reacts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lycus posted:

...good?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That dog is dead by now anyway. :smith:

In early 1976, Cheeseface was tragically shot on the farm where he lived by an unnamed hunter. As of 2019, the identity and motivation of the assailant remain unknown[4][5] although the owners of Cheeseface named a specific individual in a lawsuit in 1976.[6]

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lycus posted:

Stronger together!

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

...good?

The word you're looking for is fair-weather.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zesty posted:

...good?

How much do you trust a right wing neoliberal democrat not to walk back all of the promises that were made that their donors hate?

Joe Biden sucks. He's probably going to try and position himself as the furthest right on every single position in the upcoming jungle primary.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Zesty posted:

...good?

Lol, yeah, he seems really commited to women's rights that he adopted literally today

Whereas Bernie has been pushing for them since before Roe v. Wade.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zesty posted:

...good?

There's a difference between "Biden's opinion has genuinely been swayed on this issue" and "Biden is saying what he thinks people want to hear and will revert to his actual position as soon as he thinks no one is listening or it doesn't matter anymore", and nobody trusts liberal politicians to do the former.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can I ask a serious question? What is wrong with centrists? Mentally?

They act as if the other side actually cares. They believe every lie of the enemy. They never stand up for any belief when placed under scrutinity without buckling. They see the raw power of conviction and deny it. They ask the righteous to quiet down and fade away so a losing strategy can reach the ultimate conclusion.

They never learn. They never change. They never open their eyes to the truth.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 7, 2019

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s because centrists don’t actually believe in anything.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

They act as if the other side actually cares. They believe every lie of the enemy. They never stand up for any belief when placed under scrutinity without buckling? They see the raw power of conviction and deny it? They ask the righteous to quiet down and fade away so a losing strategy can reach the ultimate conclusion?

They are comfortable and stupid. Change is bad and comparing the truth behind positions is difficult.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if you're not paying $5.00 for bespoke, authentic freshly plucked avocado ('alligator pear' for you gringo goons) from the avocado plantacion next door..... lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Unoriginal Name posted:

They are comfortable and stupid. Change is bad and comparing the truth behind positions is difficult.

Then prehaps it would logically be best things were made uncomfortable for them so that half of the diease is burned.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

They act as if the other side actually cares. They believe every lie of the enemy. They never stand up for any belief when placed under scrutinity without buckling. They see the raw power of conviction and deny it. They ask the righteous to quiet down and fade away so a losing strategy can reach the ultimate conclusion.

If you fundamentally believe that the truth always lies in between two extremes, you don't actually believe in anything in particular, just some kind of happy median/mean average of beliefs.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Covok posted:

Centists buy into the idea that compromise is always ideal. However, they refuse to understand that is only true in a scenario where parties all want to solve a problem and just disagree on the method, rather than one party wanting to create new problems and exacerbate old ones.

They see the compromise as its own virtue, rather than examining each situation separately

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who did Biden plagiarize his speech repudiating the Hyde amendment from, after all he's only got 40+ years of speeches and articles to choose from

Covok
May 27, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

If you fundamentally believe that the truth always lies in between two extremes, you don't actually believe in anything in particular, just some kind of happy median/mean average of beliefs.

Honestly, this is why they are worse than the actual evil. At least the actual evil people can be understood, thwarted, and reliably evil. But Centrist just sabotage the righteous as they try to battle evil. All the while pretending to be allies. More like a cancer that needs chemo.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Centists buy into the idea that compromise is always ideal. However, they refuse to understand that is only true in a scenario where parties all want to solve a problem and just disagree on the method, rather than one party wanting to create new problems and exacerbate old ones.

They see the compromise as its own virtue, rather than examining each situation separately

Honestly, the more and more I think of it, compromise may be the biggest mistake one can ever make in life.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1136808355610202112

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Calibanibal posted:

if you're not paying $5.00 for bespoke, authentic freshly plucked avocado ('alligator pear' for you gringo goons) from the avocado plantacion next door..... lol

If you're not paying $10,00,000 for a truly bespoke avocado that was genetically engineered to deliver a single, silky smooth fruit on the exact hour of the day you require it than lol forever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unsurprising. Only those who know nothing of the evil would be surprised of this behavior.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Covok posted:

Honestly, this is why they are worse than the actual evil. At least the actual evil people can be understood, thwarted, and reliably evil. But Centrist just sabotage the righteous as they try to battle evil. All the while pretending to be allies. More like a cancer that needs chemo.

It's become that way because they are fundamentally lazy thinkers. If the truth is always between the two extremes you can just outsource your thinking to people who care about an issue and let them define the two extremes so you pick the middle.

Covok posted:

Honestly, the more and more I think of it, compromise may be the biggest mistake one can ever make in life.

There's nothing wrong with compromise when you have solutions being proposed in good faith. The issue that the right has figured out if is they propose "kill all Mexicans" and Democrats say "dont kill mexicans" the middle is "kill half the mexicans". That' why the right has become insanely extreme. They went from a position at 100, so the average of 0,100 is 50, to 1000 so that the average is 500.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yall realize many, many centrists are posting and lurking itt? Like, we're a big d&d demographic. Show us some respect.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Covok posted:

Their survival strategy is not to believe in anything, but to manage everything. They attempt to make themselves useful and position themselves as the arbiters of what is good. Slow down, stop, that's too fast. They're sort of like social anchors. The problem is that they hang around the necks of other people and try to tell them that there will be a better season for things like individual and human rights, climate change, all that poo poo.

They're also disappearing because neoliberalism is in the midst of a collapse in confidence. The news orgs want to position neolibs like they're the most rational in the room when most of them are just interested in managing the decline. If there are two neoliberals left in the world then CNN will have them debate one another.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

Yall realize many, many centrists are posting and lurking itt? Like, we're a big d&d demographic. Show us some respect.

No.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Never forget the standard Trump rally cry of

“GIVE HER DUE PROCESS GIVE HER DUE PROCESS”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Calibanibal posted:

Maybe we can meet in the middle here.