Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Just edit your docker file to point to the new mounts and bob's your uncle. Wakka wakka! :v:

What's the overunder on a decent dedicated plex server these days? My ancient laptop gets the job done, but chugs like crazy for 4k stuff. I'd also likely run a VM or two as well so I may have to get proper stupid.

Fortunately, you can spend very little on server hardware that runs up to FHD content, even if transcoding is necessary, especially if hardware transcoding is viable via QuickSync (e.g. your current laptop, many people use NUCs or cheap Dell minitower servers, etc.) Unfortunately, transcoding UHD content, especially via software (i.e. the CPU) is extremely resource intensive; typically you're looking at recent, high-end consumer CPUs (i.e. Core i7, Ryzen 7) just for a single stream.

If you can avoid transcoding UHD, or get a modest CPU that can do it via hardware (you'd have to check the QuickSync version or use NVENC via an nVidia GPU) then that'd be your cheapest route for a server upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Warbird posted:

Not sure I follow you. Are you able to hit the container's web page at [Local IP]:[Port]? Can you post your Docker file?

Yes, I can hit http://example:32400 without issue. First thing it asks me to do is login to my Plex account. Once I do that I get a Plex page the appears to look exactly like what I'd see at https://app.plex.tv/desktop . It shows me the two existing Plex servers connected to my account, but doesn't allow me to make this Docker instance a server.

What I would expect to happen is that when I first load the webpage it would ask me to name the server, add media, etc. My only guess is that there's a limit of two servers for a free account and that when I login it sees I already have two and just decides to run the web interface in client mode rather than server.

edit: The Docker is created as part of a Docker Compose file that spins up a handful of related utilities (Sonarr, Radarr, etc.). Here is the Plex portion of the Docker-Compose file if that helps at all.

code:
  plex:
    image: linuxserver/plex
    container_name: plex
    hostname: plex
    ports:
      - "32400:32400"
      - "32400:32400/udp"
      - "32469:32469"
      - "32469:32469/udp"
      - "1900:1900/udp"
    volumes:
      - ${CONFIG}/plex:/config
      - ${DATA}/tv:/media/tv
      - ${DATA}/movies:/media/movies
      - ${DATA}/music:/media/music
      - ${DATA}/anime:/media/anime
    environment:
      - PGID
      - PUID
      - TZ
      - VERSION=latest
    labels:
      traefik.enable: "true"
      traefik.port: "32400"
      traefik.frontend.rule: "Host:plex.${DOMAIN}"
      com.centurylinklabs.watchtower.enable: "true"
    restart: unless-stopped

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 7, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

teagone posted:

In-depth guide to follow when moving your Plex install to a new server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

I just want to pop back in and say that this worked insanely well, right down to the half played movies restarting at the right point.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

Thats great! I was looking for a solution for this... I've never found a remote with a microphone that actually worked correctly, and the official Nvidia remote is terrible.

Does it work for the always on "ok, google" activation?

I actually never tried that! I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

porktree posted:

I just want to pop back in and say that this worked insanely well, right down to the half played movies restarting at the right point.

Yep! I followed it when I moved my Plex install over to a freshly built server and had zero issues :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

porktree posted:

teagone posted:

Yep! I followed it when I moved my Plex install over to a freshly built server and had zero issues :)

Pft, where's the fun in that. There's nothing quite like losing a weekend to having to redo all your customization for no real reason...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does Plex handle anime well? Emby has a third-party plugin but it's kinda meh, it doesn't seem to lock onto metadata very well but does fall back to a sort of "generic" mode where it treats the folder name as the show name and the inside folders as the "seasons"...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I actually never tried that! I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back

I went ahead and ordered one... They are on Amazon for for $5.99...

If it doesn't work for Ok,Google, no big deal. Having voice input for search is great.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

I went ahead and ordered one... They are on Amazon for for $5.99...

If it doesn't work for Ok,Google, no big deal. Having voice input for search is great.

Yep I almost popped a monocle when it worked. It was annoying me so bad and I guess I just got fed up and tried something random.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does Plex handle anime well? Emby has a third-party plugin but it's kinda meh, it doesn't seem to lock onto metadata very well but does fall back to a sort of "generic" mode where it treats the folder name as the show name and the inside folders as the "seasons"...

Never had an issue, just class it as TV, except it will default the audio tracks to english, where I have dual audio stuff. I think there might be a fix for that now though?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Yep I almost popped a monocle when it worked. It was annoying me so bad and I guess I just got fed up and tried something random.

The Eye camera (and others, like some Logitech web cams) trick has been known for a while, but kudos anyway for bringing it to the thread. It is pretty cool.

It does not work with "Ok Google", or at least I've never been able to get it to do so, but that is fine with me as I find always-listening setups creepy.

Just program a voice button for your harmony/universal, works fine. Also will activate automatically when the search field comes up.

The 2017 model Shield game controller (not remote) also has a far-field mic, btw, and I believe that does work with Ok Google. You'll probably want to keep it plugged in somewhere around you though.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well it uses your specified agents to find metadata from the resources provided, so as long as your shows are in, say, the TV DB then it should work exactly like any other series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Plex is getting on my nerves lately, it used to be if I had a show that was a reboot all I'd have to do is add (year) to the folder and it would sort it.

However, with both Swamp Thing and Twilight Zone reboots from this year, Plex is pulling metadata from the original runs. Any idea how to fix this now?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to do this recently and it involved going to the Plex web front end, clicking the ellipsis on the show, and changing it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

Plex is getting on my nerves lately, it used to be if I had a show that was a reboot all I'd have to do is add (year) to the folder and it would sort it.

However, with both Swamp Thing and Twilight Zone reboots from this year, Plex is pulling metadata from the original runs. Any idea how to fix this now?

Fix the match manually: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201018497-fix-match-match/

[edit] Has Plex worked on your Insignia Fire TV yet? My parents have told me it's still not working for them, which is kind of ridiculous that it hasn't been patched yet. Plex devs haven't responded to the thread regarding the issue either, which is pretty annoying.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 8, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

Fix the match manually: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201018497-fix-match-match/

[edit] Has Plex worked on your Insignia Fire TV yet? My parents have told me it's still not working for them, which is kind of ridiculous that it hasn't been patched yet. Plex devs haven't responded to the thread regarding the issue either, which is pretty annoying.

Nope. I just use the Chromecast since I have like 3 extras laying around.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Here I was, spending a good hour or three organizing my movies and assigning them to proper collections in the right orders etc. Finding good posters.

Then I thought "you know, I should reorganize this on a file level as well" so I moved movies into their own folder, and live concerts into their own folder, live comedy shows into their own folder. And then I refreshed the movie library.

Save to say Plex can now go gently caress itself for the time being.

TigerXtrm fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 11, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TigerXtrm posted:

Here I was, spending a good hour or three organizing my movies and assigning them to proper collections in the right orders etc. Finding good posters.

Then I thought "you know, I should reorganize this on a file level as well" so I moved movies into their own folder, and lice concerts into their own folder, live comedy shows into their own folder. And then I refreshed the movie library.

Save to say Plex can now go gently caress itself for the time being.

The idea is sorta that you don't have to organise at a file level since you really only ever use that UI on a computer.

I succumbed to letting sonarr/radarr rename and sort stuff and anything that doesn't fit just gets dumped in the appropriate folder for Plex to sort out.

It's not like anyone is sneaker-netting my movies any more so the backend can be messy since the front end is all I see.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Laserface posted:

The idea is sorta that you don't have to organise at a file level since you really only ever use that UI on a computer.

Except if you want more organization than just 'Movies', 'TV Shows', and 'Music'. I wanted separate libraries for more niche types of videos so things like concerts and stuff wouldn't clutter up my movies etc. Only way to really do that is to organize it properly at the folder level so Plex knows what belongs where.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that it can’t remember on it’s own how a file was treated previously is definitely a shortcoming. There’s guides on their site in how to move things around without losing stuff, usually I’ll make copies of files and then when it’s scanned and duped them alongside the existing entry, I’ll then wipe the original.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that it can’t remember on it’s own how a file was treated previously is definitely a shortcoming. There’s guides on their site in how to move things around without losing stuff, usually I’ll make copies of files and then when it’s scanned and duped them alongside the existing entry, I’ll then wipe the original.

The mistake was partially (mostly?) on me, really. After moving the files it indicated many deletions, as expected, but found most of them properly again after a rescan. I made the mistake of assuming it found everything and emptied the trash. That's when I hosed myself over.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I mean, you did a lot of not smart things in a row. Sorry.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone here use Plex for Audiobooks? I am getting ready for a car trip and my wife asked me to set it up for her. I did a little research, downloaded and installed a new agent for audiobooks that looks at Audible and set up a new library per the instructions I found. It seems to work, pulling metadata correctly and all.

Here is my question: if you do this, how do you set up and organize the audio tracks and files?

Right now, essentially Plex is treating a book, as an album, and then inside an album are tracks. So I have, for example, an audiobook, showing as a single album with 4 tracks in it each about an hour long. Since we set up the mp3 tags correctly, they appear and play in order. I tried to name them using the same scheme as I do with multi file movies, where you append _part1 _part2 etc to the filename and Plex then understands it is 1 continuous item, but that seems to have no effect. I am not sure it really matters, as my current setup will still play it all correctly, but I am wondering if there is a way to get Plex to understand that they are all 1 continuous item. Thanks.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Is paying for Plex worth it? $75 lifetime membership is on sale right now and I'm just not sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just a note that that’ll be a personalized email. You’ve probably made people jealous, and people share tips on what to do to try get one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Delthalaz posted:

Is paying for Plex worth it? $75 lifetime membership is on sale right now and I'm just not sure.

The mobile sync has been a godsend and worth it alone for me. Less so now that I’ve gotten unlimited mobile data, but well worth it. The TV DVR stuff is pretty near too but ymmv depending on what’s available and how much you care. No regrets from me.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just a note that that’ll be a personalized email. You’ve probably made people jealous, and people share tips on what to do to try get one.

Oh whoops. No idea - I didn't do anything, they just sent me an email.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Warbird posted:

The mobile sync has been a godsend and worth it alone for me. Less so now that I’ve gotten unlimited mobile data, but well worth it. The TV DVR stuff is pretty near too but ymmv depending on what’s available and how much you care. No regrets from me.

Yeah I just pulled the trigger. I owe them $75 for all the years I've been using this poo poo every day anyway.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Delthalaz posted:

To echo - mobile sync is awesome. Especially if you have a kid. Even with unlimited data - mobile sync never stops playing, even in dead zones.
TV DVR is great, the Plex commercial removal is good enough. It certainly saves the hassle of having to go back and remove commercials and encode with MC-Buddy or whatever that program's name is (which is also good very good at what it does).
It is also incredibly significant other friendly. I have zero issues with playback or recording questions.

My biggest issue with Plex is when the computer restarts (Windows updates) and I have to go turn the computer back on or log in. For whatever reason, I have not figured out how to get Plex to autostart when Windows starts (vs. auto-start upon log-in, which works).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can you not set the service to run at startup? I do all my stuff in *nix, but I would assume the Windows server equivalent would have some headless “boot at start” business about it.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
You can do it with a program called nssm, which is just a gui for adding it as a service. Alternatively, on the Plex website there's a little program floating around that will handle autostarting it with Windows that I've used successfully in the past.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Internet Savant posted:

My biggest issue with Plex is when the computer restarts (Windows updates) and I have to go turn the computer back on or log in. For whatever reason, I have not figured out how to get Plex to autostart when Windows starts (vs. auto-start upon log-in, which works).

One workaround for this is to have Windows auto-log-in when it boots up. That's how I have my plex box set up. It's not really a good idea on your main computer due to security issues, but seems fine for a plex server, as long as nothing else is on there.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Delthalaz posted:

If these things matter to you, yes

Mobile sync
Live tv dvr with commercial removal
Dashboard (usage stats)
Plex Home ( multiple users in one home)

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-plex-pass-feature-overview/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Internet Savant posted:

Set up Chrome Remote Desktop, then you can log it on from any Web browser or mobile device. Set up Wake On LAN as well and you can completely manage it remotely.

Also, you could just check in on it once a week or so and manually reboot to apply Windows updates at a convenient time.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Atomizer posted:

Set up Chrome Remote Desktop, then you can log it on from any Web browser or mobile device. Set up Wake On LAN as well and you can completely manage it remotely.

Also, you could just check in on it once a week or so and manually reboot to apply Windows updates at a convenient time.

I basically do the second one. It's not like this is mission critical or anything. It's just annoying. However, I will definitely take a look at all the suggestions. Thank you everyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just have your server boot straight to desktop/auto login. I forget how to enable it, but that's what I have mine do and I never to have to do anything thing if my server restarts from an update.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently the latest MS update puts an option in to stop the drat thing from rebooting without asking. A godsend as it just plain ignores my open Notepad that I use constantly day in day out and might forget to save before I leave for the day.

My Mac just hassles me to update and I refuse to because ugh if you’re not offering me cool new features I just don’t caaaaare. Security updates are boooooring. (And important, but I know I’m not the only one this lazy).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Apparently the latest MS update puts an option in to stop the drat thing from rebooting without asking. A godsend as it just plain ignores my open Notepad that I use constantly day in day out and might forget to save before I leave for the day.

My Mac just hassles me to update and I refuse to because ugh if you’re not offering me cool new features I just don’t caaaaare. Security updates are boooooring. (And important, but I know I’m not the only one this lazy).

have you heard of notepad++ which will persist your unsaved buffers across an unplanned reboot?

linux does not not have these restart issues. for one most distros won’t auto apply patches and reboot. even if they did, plex installs itself as a service out of the box so it comes up when the system starts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dren posted:

have you heard of notepad++ which will persist your unsaved buffers across an unplanned reboot?

I've always meant to look into ++ but I have Coda on my Mac for webscripting so never got around to it. Can it be made to look as barebones as Notepad? That's all I'm looking for in an an app, just an empty white screen with no formatting or anything of that crap, no number lines, icons or anything. I have OneNote or whatever the Office365 thing is for stuff that needs to be filed properly, but for my day to day stuff I just want pure simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've always meant to look into ++ but I have Coda on my Mac for webscripting so never got around to it. Can it be made to look as barebones as Notepad? That's all I'm looking for in an an app, just an empty white screen with no formatting or anything of that crap, no number lines, icons or anything. I have OneNote or whatever the Office365 thing is for stuff that needs to be filed properly, but for my day to day stuff I just want pure simplicity.

It's got a couple buttons and line numbers (which you can disable) but it's as basic as you can get while still powerful if you want to explore the menus a bit

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 13, 2019