Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

It's empty calories but still fun...I plan on calling a local AM radio CHUD that likes letting me on the air as a token liberal today and I'm going to revisit my call from last month where he was bragging about how many jobs Trump has created and how this is only the beginning and etc. His reasoning? Well, all the burdensome regulations Trump cut, of course! So it's been one month, it's not like the landscape changed much except Donny Dumbfuck's tariffs. Let's see what he has to say. I just love smacking CHUDs across the face with cold hard reality. First time I did it, I incited an entire radio hour of pissed off response calls from his fans.

See now this is the stuff that actual resistance is made of. Aggressive and unrepentant confrontation. Unhesitantly exploiting your opponent's weak points and psychological blind spots. Proudly celebrating when your opponents are too much of an emotional mess to form a coherent response.

That's the good stuff right there :swoon:

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not sure if it would be better or worse if this person didn’t believe any of this and was instead extremely committed to his grift but I would respect it.

*mainly using this post to jump to the last page*

Again this question has been asked for years on these dead gay fourms, and by humans forever, the answer is academic book keeping and doesnt matter because evil occurs anyway . but for what its worth, tokens(both true believers and conmen) have a special place in hell.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Now, imagine Trump as an ex-president.

I feel like this is a thing we all want but are equally terrified of at the same time

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the new yorker proclaimed him to be a member of the #resistance, oocc.

the centrist hunger for validation and compromise is, very literally, bad enough to proclaim the man who melted Iraq to own the libs is now on our side, and good.

because he gave michelle obama a piece of candy, and didn't say any of the racial slurs he threw at McCain in the 2000 primary at his funeral.

Quote? Link?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

while quite good I will always remember this loving article

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1137036750155653120

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Toobly posted:

I feel like this is a thing we all want but are equally terrified of at the same time

We've never had an angry, bitter ex-president in modern times willing to bellow at the cameras slamming his successor before so we have nothing to point to, but I bet without having the aura of the presidency around him, the backlash will be brutal.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ershalim posted:

This is half true. FOX News is an infectious disease, but they control the narrative of ALL media, not just the media their viewership sees. Thanks to the big fuckoff controversy with Crowder, I came across a video by Carlos Maza that talks about the cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzoZf4IAfAc

Good video and good points. It’s a shame that the way out of this is for journalists to grow a spine and to refuse to report on what Fox News says unless it’s a situation where they’re caught lying (such as Benghazi), but as the video said, no one wants to be accused of “liberal bias”.

I still think that as their viewership gets old we’ll see their influence wane, and as they get more overtly bigoted against protected classes to drum up viewership, we’ll see more advertisers walk like Bayer did recently. They’re (very slowly, I’ll admit) painting themselves into a corner with having to get more bigoted and exclusive to get views while the population of the US stops worrying about gay marriage or trans rights and other conservative dog-whistles.

Unless, that is, the Trump administration decides to actively try to re-segregate American society in less of an “illegal vs legal” way, but more of a hard racist “Jim Crow” fashion. Fox News would be giddy to carry the propaganda telling racist whites that PoC need their citizenship revoked.

Kale
May 14, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

It's empty calories but still fun...I plan on calling a local AM radio CHUD that likes letting me on the air as a token liberal today and I'm going to revisit my call from last month where he was bragging about how many jobs Trump has created and how this is only the beginning and etc. His reasoning? Well, all the burdensome regulations Trump cut, of course! So it's been one month, it's not like the landscape changed much except Donny Dumbfuck's tariffs. Let's see what he has to say. I just love smacking CHUDs across the face with cold hard reality. First time I did it, I incited an entire radio hour of pissed off response calls from his fans.

Speaking of tariffs isn't today the supposed deadline for Trump to announce his tariffs on Mexico if they don't meet some probably impossible target of curtailing illegal immigration? Like I feel like that's just sadly inevitable at this point and we will probably hear about it via tweet some time this afternoon if today really is the day. Some news searches turn up the possibility of it being postponed till Monday.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kale posted:

Speaking of tariffs isn't today the supposed deadline for Trump to announce his tariffs on Mexico if they don't meet some probably impossible target of curtailing illegal immigration? Like I feel like that's just sadly inevitable at this point and we will probably hear about it via tweet some time this afternoon if today really is the day. Some news searches turn up the possibility of it being postponed till Monday.

I thought the plan was always Monday, and the rumored delays if talks go well would push it past Monday.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

He is a grotesque of unimaginable stupidity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1137039388657905664

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

I thought the plan was always Monday, and the rumored delays if talks go well would push it past Monday.

You're probably right, I just swear I remembering hearing it was going to be this Friday and he usually does his most outrageous poo poo on Friday so that he gets full control of the weekend news cycle.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

What body do we report him to to have his MD stripped?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

I still think that as their viewership gets old we’ll see their influence wane, and as they get more overtly bigoted against protected classes to drum up viewership, we’ll see more advertisers walk like Bayer did recently. They’re (very slowly, I’ll admit) painting themselves into a corner with having to get more bigoted and exclusive to get views while the population of the US stops worrying about gay marriage or trans rights and other conservative dog-whistles.

It seems like a dead end, but ... maybe it isn't. The window of what's acceptable has shifted many times throughout our history. Gay rights are okay, gays should be killed, gays are fine, gays should be castrated, black people are subhuman, black people can run for office, black people can't exist without white guidance, a black man is president, etc., etc.. My main fear is that the right has thought-leaders and ideologues in the way that the left really doesn't. When I think about people who push the envelope to get people motivated, I see a lot more effectiveness from the evangelical crowd than I do for someone like Warren. She's amazing and inspiring, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't command the same kind of following. Part of it is that the media often ignores her, but this is a world-wide thing. Authoritarianism is on the rise all over the world, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

I feel like there's a world-wide epidemic of hopelessness that's keeping people down, and turning more people and countries towards the "safe" "sensible" policies like isolationism and authoritarianism, but at the same time, I feel like that might be me catastrophizing.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Who was the last chud that got deplatformed and was going around crowing over and over about how "it just made him stronger" and his "sales were through the roof"?

I can't seem to remember his name but I remember the same "victory lap" being taken...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL newsmax's ceo was at that state dinner with the queen. what a loving stupid world we live in.

InsertPotPun posted:

Who was the last chud that got deplatformed and was going around crowing over and over about how "it just made him stronger" and his "sales were through the roof"?

milo greekname.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Prester Jane posted:

See now this is the stuff that actual resistance is made of. Aggressive and unrepentant confrontation. Unhesitantly exploiting your opponent's weak points and psychological blind spots. Proudly celebrating when your opponents are too much of an emotional mess to form a coherent response.

That's the good stuff right there :swoon:

If there's interest, I can link the show's page with podcast replay links later on via PM on request. I hope I do well!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

quote:

Part of it is that the media often ignores her, but this is a world-wide thing. Authoritarianism is on the rise all over the world, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

That's really most/all of it. The media is in league with the fascists because they are owned by the rich and the whole game is "divide the poor so we can keep living our insane lifestyles"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137040975258198017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

If there's interest, I can link the show's page with podcast replay links later on via PM on request. I hope I do well!

Consider this post an enthusiastic request then.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ershalim posted:

It seems like a dead end, but ... maybe it isn't. The window of what's acceptable has shifted many times throughout our history. Gay rights are okay, gays should be killed, gays are fine, gays should be castrated, black people are subhuman, black people can run for office, black people can't exist without white guidance, a black man is president, etc., etc.. My main fear is that the right has thought-leaders and ideologues in the way that the left really doesn't. When I think about people who push the envelope to get people motivated, I see a lot more effectiveness from the evangelical crowd than I do for someone like Warren. She's amazing and inspiring, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't command the same kind of following. Part of it is that the media often ignores her, but this is a world-wide thing. Authoritarianism is on the rise all over the world, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

I feel like there's a world-wide epidemic of hopelessness that's keeping people down, and turning more people and countries towards the "safe" "sensible" policies like isolationism and authoritarianism, but at the same time, I feel like that might be me catastrophizing.

I'm still kind of waiting to see how these scenarios with people like Trump, Bolsonaro, Doug Ford (I didn't vote for Ford of course but was sadly not surprised to hear that he won when he did) etc. play out in coming elections. All of them followed a similar path to victory and all of them have approval ratings that are absolutely in the toilet after only a couple years or even several months of being in office with stories about their voters regretting ever voting for them. All of them kind of benefited from political competition or environments that were equally or even more unpopular at the time of their elections and strong negative sentiment towards the prior establishment that may no longer be as palpable now that people have seen what the alternative in idiot strongmen wannabe's who don't know what the gently caress they're doing looks like.

Trump is the one we have to wait the least amount of time to get an answer on, but could either set the pace for a rapid and decisive return to the status quo or an affirmation that this is the new normal.

One thing that gets me though after reading a story about Bolsonaro last night is how many people in Brazil seem shocked that the guy is a total trainwreck and incompetent and how if the election were to happen now he'd probably get torched and that there are experts saying that if he continues on his current course he might not even see the end of his first term. It's hard too know what to make of it, like how were these things not readily apparent to people before they decided it was a good idea to elect some of them.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 7, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

I can't seem to remember his name but I remember the same "victory lap" being taken...

Crowder was not deplatformed. That's kinda the whole problem

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nervous Nancy! Ohhh snap! Add that to the nickname ranking, NYT!

gently caress this poo poo, JFC

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero work done in congress when he literally just signed the disaster relief bill that only took so long to get through the house because of dipshit Republicans being like "I don't consent unanimously :smug: "

Of course, his brain is so full of holes he might not remember signing it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I mean it's kind of hard to get poo poo done in congress when you keep passing bills with solid majorities and some rear end in a top hat that looks like a turtle refuses to so much as even do his job and start the next step of getting the senate to vote on them. Some might even suggest it's impossible but hey....I guess that literal video of the house passing their Dream Act showing the vote tally and McConnell already saying he has no plans to introduce it for a vote in the Senate doesn't really mean anything.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kale posted:

Trump is the one we have to wait the least amount of time to get an answer on, but could either set the pace for a rapid and decisive return to the status quo or an affirmation that this is the new normal.

The old status quo is gone forever and it's not coming back. No variation have the old status quo will ever return either, the old status quo has been forever wiped away by the events of the past few years. If you're looking to see if the old status quo will come back..... well that's pretty naive.

quote:

One thing that gets me though after reading a story about Bolsonaro last night is how many people in Brazil seem shocked that the guy is a total trainwreck and incompetent and how if the election were to happen now he'd probably get torched and that there are experts saying that if he continues on his current course he might not even see the end of his first term. It's hard too know what to make of it, like how were these things not readily apparent to people before they decided it was a good idea to elect some of them.

This is literally exactly how the United States media handled the election of trump. Everyone's surprised that he's actually incompetent, Oh my he might not even make his first term because of how incompetent he is. Surely once he threatens the wealth of the affluent the affluent will depose him and install a controllable puppet, etc etc.

Second verse same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lizzy-Q!
Donny
Donny wrote
Donny wrote this
Donny wrote this just
Donny wrote this just to
Donny wrote this just to take
Donny wrote this just to take up
Donny wrote this just to take up space.

2nd period history was soooo much fun with you! Thank's for letting me, you know, having a peak on test days if you know what i mean :)

stay cool and have a good summer,
don

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Zero work done in congress when he literally just signed the disaster relief bill that only took so long to get through the house because of dipshit Republicans being like "I don't consent unanimously :smug: "

Of course, his brain is so full of holes he might not remember signing it.

it also took weeks longer than it should've because Trump actively tried to stop the Republicans from supporting any bill that gave Puerto Rico any more relief money (and then he claimed credit for helping PR lol)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

Now, imagine Trump as an ex-president.
I legit don't think he's going to live that long after his administration is over. Sure, he doesn't actually get all that stressed out from work and loving lol at him paying attention to any of the people who call him a brainless turd across the internet, but the dipshit still tweets at 2 in the morning and probably has a hella irregular sleep schedule, along with probably doing a shitload of drugs.

Then again, Keith Richards is still alive despite probably abusing his liver for over half a century, so what the gently caress do I know.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 7, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

There Bias Two posted:

I think PJ is probably pretty on the nose with this. There are some clues pointing to his juvenile mindset that go beyond just being a dumb person IMO. W can see he's obsessive concerning friends and acceptance, and has a fixation toward certain words like "loser" (I think this was something he was called a lot as a kid, so it's a deeply meaningful insult for him).

I don't think it's that complex. Trump is an ego obsessed dickhead that probably got a lot of that Ricky Bobby "You ain't first, you're last" type bullshit pounded into hos brain by daddy Trump calling him a loser all the time. He's spent all his life trying to get acceptance from everyone to try and bury his daddy problems and is now in the sundowning years of what little brain function he has left. Everything he does is either something he wants like the racism, and everything else is poo poo that will make others give him some praise, no matter how dumb.
You don't need to tear down psyhcology here, Trump is bot some rare anomaly. He's trying to be perfect to satisfy his ego while doing whatever anyone wants to gain their acceptance. It all boils down to "rich daddy didn't love me right"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
FWIW when I posted the exact same psychological explanation of Trump's behavior back during the Republican primaries I got pretty much the same response, that I was over intellectualizing an obviously dumb person.

Of course at the time the general consensus was that the system itself/political establishment would force Trump into moderating himself- and that there was a hard limit to the amount of blatant stupidity Trump's inner circle would be able to foist upon the rest of the GOP.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 7, 2019

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
There was an mspaint comic I read recently where the punchline was centrists having it pointed out to them that their accommodating inaction for the sake of the "status quo" allows the right wing to take over the country and ruin it and gently caress over everyone, and the centrists are like "well duh, that's the status quo, that's what we're defending, is that process"

I want to find it again

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Saagonsa posted:

Crowder was not deplatformed. That's kinda the whole problem

Yeah, we're no longer at the point where it's a particularly big PR hit to openly support homophobic harassment that violates your own website's terms of service, during pride month. So YouTube is going right ahead and supporting the harassment.

This is because poo poo has become significantly worse for LGBT Americans, because, frankly, 99% of non-LGBT people don't give a poo poo about us, just the cash in our pockets.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I finally got a chance to read an article i had been putting off for a few weeks.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

There were so many things that are worth discussing in this article, but this one in particular jumped out at me.

quote:

All of a sudden, a dozen or so reporters and camera operators noticed a man marching around with a huge Nazi flag that trailed behind him, aloft, like a cape. They started running—actually running—after him. The guy with the Nazi flag kept walking but slowed his pace to let them catch up, then turned around to face the cameras at exactly the moment they were upon him. The choreography was as precise as a ballet.

For the next ten minutes or so, the reporters filmed the Nazi. When they finally turned away from each other, each side seemed happy, shaking hands, nodding enthusiastically, and smiling their thanks. It was the most nakedly symbiotic transaction I’d ever witnessed. The reporters and the Nazi needed each other. There was no meaning—no job—for one without the other. I glanced over at Sam, who was taking it all in.

“Did you see that?” I asked, too overwhelmed to offer my gloss on the situation. I was prepared to let it go if he hadn’t interpreted it as I had.

“Yeah,” he answered. Even though that was all he said, his eyes were shining and I could see he was filing away the encounter.

The story is about a kid falling into the alt-right, but this short throw away line really really hits home at the root of the problem. How do we make media stop putting nazis in front of microphones and cameras?

I really recommend everyone read the full story, as it is a good read. scary as well if you have kids.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lol, liberals are such snowflakes. Now excuse me while I go whine to the cops about someone saying mean things on the internet

Too bad there isn't an actual paid job for people to work where every time some chud/nazi/republican bitches about "pussy liberals" they immediately post replies of that person being a wuss

Kale
May 14, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

The old status quo is gone forever and it's not coming back. No variation have the old status quo will ever return either, the old status quo has been forever wiped away by the events of the past few years. If you're looking to see if the old status quo will come back..... well that's pretty naive.

This is literally exactly how the United States media handled the election of trump. Everyone's surprised that he's actually incompetent, Oh my he might not even make his first term because of how incompetent he is. Surely once he threatens the wealth of the affluent the affluent will depose him and install a controllable puppet, etc etc.

Second verse same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse.

It's very difficult to have a conversation about this stuff when one's position is absolutely set in stone and often centers on the most apocalyptic outcome possible where anything that deviates from that prediction is stated to be woefully naive and an impossible outcome. Very difficult indeed.

Realistically I think 99% of the situations where my opinions and positions deviate from the thread collectives is where I don't subscribe wholeheartedly to the total inescapable apocalypse scenario for Democracy, but rather suggest it's under significant threat and that constant vigilance ought to be a mandatory outlook. Like for example the quote from a while back that was posted in this thread about what happens to Democracy when the Democratic party can't capture the White House in a Dem+5, Dem+8 or even Dem+12 (might be getting the numbers wrong here), I feel like that sort of analysis doesn't get enough coverage in the news, because with all the gerrymandering and geographical polarization it doesn't seem entirely implausible that that could happen in near future elections. Maybe Dem+12 is stretching it but Dem+5 general election, winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college and White House again to a GOP candidate really does seem like it could happen.

That bit about that being a narrative in the mainstream media where Trump doesn't finish his first term due to stumbling bumbling incompetency doesn't escape me either. I think it was actually even Steve Bannon that introduced the idea where he suggested there was something like a 33% chance that Trump won't even finish his first term.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 7, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Lol, liberals are such snowflakes. Now excuse me while I go whine to the cops about someone saying mean things on the internet

Too bad there isn't an actual paid job for people to work where every time some chud/nazi/republican bitches about "pussy liberals" they immediately post replies of that person being a wuss

*Excuse me while I CHARTER a private flight to go cry in front of someone who said something mean about me on online. Then cry to the cops when they ask me to leave the store.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, he wants to be king/royalty but in an extremely juvenile way. also not even in weird broken "i want to be the god emperor" way. its more like King friday XIII but a bigger rear end in a top hat. he wants the robes and the crown and everyone to say "corret as usual king trump".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Prester Jane posted:

FWIW when I posted the exact same psychological explanation of Trump's behavior back during the Republican primaries I got pretty much the same response, that I was over intellectualizing an obviously dumb person.

Of course at the time the general consensus was that the system itself/political establishment would force Trump into moderating himself- and that there was a hard limit to the amount of blatant stupidity Trump's inner circle would be able to foist upon the rest of the GOP.

Oh yes, you were sooo persecuted. Shut up. For all the good poo poo you post you post double dumb poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)