Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Marzipan Pig posted:

Is his crotch distractingly shiney? I can't decide if I need to tone down the big mechanical crotch.

There should be an armour piece that goes over it, once that’s on it’ll be fine I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm looking at it from a different perspective; there's nothing preventing you from hitting the Contrast-painted model with a varnish and then adding more to it.

I don't think you need to hit it with a varnish as an interim. It's not like it's anything weirdly hydrophobic like an oil-paint or especially prone to reactivating. Though you are supposed to put some protective coat on it afterwards because the contrast paint itself dries as a very thin layer.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

darnon posted:

I don't think you need to hit it with a varnish as an interim. It's not like it's anything weirdly hydrophobic like an oil-paint or especially prone to reactivating. Though you are supposed to put some protective coat on it afterwards because the contrast paint itself dries as a very thin layer.

I think the point is that with a varnish, you can wipe paint away if you make a mistake without damaging the contrast paint. This is a technique a lot of painters use when doing freehand. You basically "scrub" the paint away with your brush before it has a chance to dry and set.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeast posted:

To add to the list;

House of War in Ringwood carries a lot of good brands like scale, gamers grass, and a bunch of others that I struggle to find elsewhere. Also Schraff / Windsor newton brushes.

Battlefield Hobbies in Brooklyn/West Footscray carries the full scale colour range, as well as a lot of oils, AK interactive modelling supplies, some airbrushes etc

And then for ordering online I'd recommend Mightyape, or BNA Modelworld

Thanks mate.

re Contrast: I really want to know how the contrast black turns out. There was a guy doing a demo at a hobby show, not a great or enthusiastic painter at all, he slammed on the black on the marine's bolt gun and in the follow up video where they were talking about it, the black was really subtle and on camera at least looked really loving good for zero effort. I'm thinking about painting more Templars. :v:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Has anyone done contrast paint over zenithal shading yet? Really curious how that would turn out.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dienes posted:

Has anyone done contrast paint over zenithal shading yet? Really curious how that would turn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7Imu5fxZI

Second part of the video. First attempt doesn't go well because he didn't go heavy enough on the wraithbone. Second time turns out better. Personally I didn't like it, I think it looked too dark in the dark areas.

I'm not sure how the model took a dust bath just before the final display with a rotating camera.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm hoping that I'll be able to use contrast through an airbrush like the current GW glazes to tint an undercoat, or to bring together my shades and highlights.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Marzipan Pig posted:

Is his crotch distractingly shiney? I can't decide if I need to tone down the big mechanical crotch.

alternately,

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Marzipan Pig posted:

I might actually finish this one day.

Maybe if your work surface didn't have women in denim cut-off shorts...?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ok?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*As in he is focusing on the women... ha ha*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I painted some heads tonight and scored the hidden achievement where my phone recognizes faces and draws circles over them.

I fooled facial recognition and it feels great! :toot:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I painted some heads tonight and scored the hidden achievement where my phone recognizes faces and draws circles over them.

Nice! Those are some awesome heads.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been meaning to post pictures of this: I did some layering/edge highlighting with Evil Sunz Scarlet on the Redemptor Dreadnought, as well as some drybrushing of Necron Compound on the metal parts.

I imagine it's pretty hard to see, since the quality of the photos isn't that good. Following advice I got on the shading, I mostly did highlights based on where the lights was coming from (most edges along the top.)

Overall it looks...passable? (Layer painting/highlighting is still something I haven't grappled with too much)

I still need to highlight the black and gold parts, as well as doing the Fire Dragon Bright higlights on the sharpest corners/edges.

For the last few weeks, I've been spending my time putting together the Skitarii. I don't have them all primed yet, but here's the Tech Priest and Skitarii commander primed in black.

You'll notice they aren't on bases, and that's because I thought to do the bases separately and then super-glue them on later.

A question: is there a a cheaper equivalent to the Citadel base brushes? Some of the WHTV videos show them doing the base paint with the base brushes, and it seems like that's a faster and more efficent way to get the basecoat down on a mini, as opposed to doing it with a fine-tip brush. They also seem like a necessity when doing a vehicle, because doing one with a fine-tip brush would probably drive you crazy.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 7, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did my first dinosaurus!

(Taking close up pictures of your stuff is beyond humbling, I thought I was done but holy poo poo I need to fix some stuff with the base and carriage.)

Edit:

*prolonged internal screaming*

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 7, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

moths posted:

This is a quality post

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

A question: is there a a cheaper equivalent to the Citadel base brushes? Some of the WHTV videos show them doing the base paint with the base brushes, and it seems like that's a faster and more efficent way to get the basecoat down on a mini, as opposed to doing it with a fine-tip brush. They also seem like a necessity when doing a vehicle, because doing one with a fine-tip brush would probably drive you crazy.

Yeah, go to Dick Blick or another art supply and look for Golden Taklon brushes, you'll want a filbert or angle style. A lot cheaper than citadel brushes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a filbert recently after remembering that Citadel had one years ago. The one I bought is Michael’s brand (ugh), but it feels as smooth as butter when laying down paint, would highly recommend.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
hey guys im just getting back into this hobby and have been watching lots of youtube videos. Really incredible stuff out there but this one guy I happened upon is another level beyond anything I have ever realized is possible. His channel is only like 2 months old and not many views but check out this white scars pain job... He also has videos about his modifications. These are long videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRmgxsEuEYk

and this chaos lord...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDiP3bZmoM

that base. look at it.

apology if its been posted before.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

moths posted:

Not surprising, though, since those heads are magnificent!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JackMann posted:

I think the point is that with a varnish, you can wipe paint away if you make a mistake without damaging the contrast paint. This is a technique a lot of painters use when doing freehand. You basically "scrub" the paint away with your brush before it has a chance to dry and set.

Yes, this was my plan.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been applying some Citadel tufts to the bases of some miniatures for the first time, and I wondered if there's anything I can do to make them look a bit less shiny? Can I wash these gently with some agrax or something? Would that ruin them?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gunder posted:

I've been applying some Citadel tufts to the bases of some miniatures for the first time, and I wondered if there's anything I can do to make them look a bit less shiny? Can I wash these gently with some agrax or something? Would that ruin them?

You can 100% wash them, and I recommend doing so to blend them in with the base a bit and make them look less plopped down. Might be hard to tell because it’s a phone photo, but I washed the tufts here with army painter mid brown.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Marzipan Pig posted:

It'll be fine as is if you're using the armour plate, otherwise it could do with griming up a bit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
From Ministomp:

quote:

Hey Gang,

Looks like we are living in the future as GW has shown us that the prophecies can become reality. Im certain that we will have a Plastic Sisters of Battle army flying around in Plastic Thunderhawks in no time at all! But for now, lets arm ourselves with tools, and knowledge to paint like pros, so all our great things can look great as well! 

What are contrast paints? (said nobody reading this email.)

That is certainly a good place to start! These will be a part of a new range that features 35 new colors that are formulated to base coat and shade your miniatures in one step, giving a fast, but effective technique that can be used by all skill levels. To learn more,  and since we dont have any of our own content, or anything that we can officially endorse, we are left to just share our opinions! 

We looked around and that that if you visit the new Citadel Colour page, which is amazing by the way - I recommend looking at the entire site, you will like what you see. The video for contrast paints is in the link below the site logo at the bottom of this email. 

For an outside point of view, you may like Mengel Miniatures, link at the bottom again, and not only do we trust his opinions, but he makes a couple very good points about the new base spray paints, and the importance of the paint on base/primer. There are a few pictures that show off some things that went well for him and it sounds like he will have another round of these coming soon.

What other paints are there? 

about 100 more paints will be released, from what we can tell this is new air colours, re-named air colours, new base or layers that were previously available from Forge World and something called "clear air" which may have been FW too or inspired by old FW colours, but either way sound like a whole new technique we can achieve with what GW has brought to us with this new range!

When can I buy Contrast paints? (a hush rolled over the masses!)

The answer to this questions is not typical and requires explanation. Short and sweet version, we prefer you buy the entire range all at once from us, and live a happy life! But the realistic version will be different for some.

Lets look at the release schedule: *This is 100% based on 50% fact, 30% best guesses, and 20% painting the narrative... We dont know for certain, but we like to bet on ourselves, and you can take it on as a way to plan properly, and avoid frustrations, considering the demand is likely to outweigh the supply here.

-June 8th: You should see paints with prices as individual pots on the GW website
-June 12th-ish GW sends 1 pack of 6 of every new color in a "retailer kit" to those who decided to buy the entire thing (like a $5k value normally)
-June 15th: All new paints are for sale on the GW site, and in warhammer stores, and in flgs that bought the retailer kit
-June 20th-ish: The new colors can be ordered in a 6pack a la carte, but with allocation (1 more pack... maybe 2 more?)
-June 27th-ish: The new colors can be ordered at a larger qty. 

Okay, so whats this mean?  Q & A Time!

Q: I need all the new paints / contrast paints immediately, what should I do?
A: Find the closest FLGS, call them to make sure they are getting the new retailer kit, beg them to hold you a set, or be there on the 15th when they unlock the doors. Good luck and many blessings of the Emperor upon you.

Q: I dont need them on day one, but how can I get them quickly?
A: If you order them from GW site, you will probably get them around the 20th depending on where you live. Or if you are one of the first handfuls of orders placed with just about any place that sells them. (including Ministomp)

Q: Im sensing this stuff will be hard to come by in the first week, and I am willing to wait... how can I include them with an order of other items from Ministomp and the sweet deals that I am used to?
A: Send us your order and we can place you in que, waiting will pay off for the majority of people if planned properly.

You might have had one of those questions, but if you have any more please send an email and ask. We can tell you that we doubt that we could get any more than 24 of any new colour before the 22nd, so that means the que of people asking to buy already will easily put the new orders of a set of 35 contrast pots into the end of the 2nd week. We do have some promo swag available to go with "SET"s shown below.

YOU-PICK-IT-  = you pick the colours you want and we will fulfill when each is available, note some colours will be more popular than others, so we will let you know if 1 pot holds up the entire order.

CONTRAST-35-SET = one of each contrast paint wrapped into a special bundle for you.

ALL-NEW-SET = one of each new paint, about 135 colors, this includes contrast, air, and base paints.

Don't forget WRAITH BONE and GREY SEER spray paints, and the brush on base paints. Both the reviews below mention how important these are, and we expect that they will sell out at the same pace as the CONTRAST-35-SET.

Thats enough info for now! We will update you if everything we just shared was a pile of steaming Mournfang Dung, but we think overall, we are trying to make the sane plan for enjoying the new colours ;)

CITADEL COLOUR CONTRAST PAINT TUTORIAL, CLICK HERE

MENGEL MINIATURES REVIEW ARTICLE, CLICK HERE

*NOTICE* We originally composed this email three days ago, and delayed sending it with hopes that we would have some more concrete information - as it turns out there are still some things that are undefined so this is our best guess of how things will work, but we are getting several emails a day with many questions that should be answered here. 

The best advice that we can give is that if you want any new paints, please compose a new email (if you have not already) with that info and tomorrow we will begin compiling orders as we have received them.  And last but not least we ask that you are patient in allowing the inventory to be released from GW so that we may properly complete orders for everybody.

Thank You,

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the new GW contrast line, has anyone seen examples of using non-contrast paint over the contrast primer? I'm thinking I want to try some for cloaks etc, but don't want to buy a full line just so I can paint one pouch a particular shade of brown.

So could I prime my mini with the contrast primer, use contrast on the cloak and then my regular brown on the pouch? Or will the the special primer mess with my regular paint?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Seldom Posts posted:

Regarding the new GW contrast line, has anyone seen examples of using non-contrast paint over the contrast primer? I'm thinking I want to try some for cloaks etc, but don't want to buy a full line just so I can paint one pouch a particular shade of brown.

So could I prime my mini with the contrast primer, use contrast on the cloak and then my regular brown on the pouch? Or will the the special primer mess with my regular paint?

There's an article up today on Warhammer Community from a guy who painted a Fellowship of the Ring in one day by priming them with the new sprays, using contrast on everything but the metal, and then using Leadbelcher on the metal. If Leadbelcher can go fine over the new primers, then it's not going to be a problem with other paint.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Seldom Posts posted:

There's nothing special about the primer. They're just off-white with one being warm toned and the other being cold toned.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

There's an article up today on Warhammer Community from a guy who painted a Fellowship of the Ring in one day by priming them with the new sprays, using contrast on everything but the metal, and then using Leadbelcher on the metal. If Leadbelcher can go fine over the new primers, then it's not going to be a problem with other paint.

Two Beans posted:

There's nothing special about the primer. They're just off-white with one being warm toned and the other being cold toned.

Cool, thanks. I will be trying this out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Two Beans posted:

I thought they had a slight satin finish too to help the contrast flow?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

I thought they had a slight satin finish too to help the contrast flow?

Yeah, they're supposedly formulated to give a smoother finish than their other primers, in order to help the contrast flow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

I don't believe that's entirely true. According to GW they're formulated to work with the contrast paint, and also apparently are resilient to a lot of issues with things like humidity.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Has there been any more info released about the pricing of Contrast and specifically the price of the bundles? Also, sidenote, I've never heard of Ministomp before and their website is extremely vague...what are they all about?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikey Purp posted:

Has there been any more info released about the pricing of Contrast and specifically the price of the bundles? Also, sidenote, I've never heard of Ministomp before and their website is extremely vague...what are they all about?

They give deeper discounts than you're allowed to advertise so you have to email them to order things

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Nope. Nothing.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They give deeper discounts than you're allowed to advertise so you have to email them to order things

They're great to work with. I use them for everything.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't believe that's entirely true. According to GW they're formulated to work with the contrast paint, and also apparently are resilient to a lot of issues with things like humidity.

Of course. They're a company advertising their own product, to make money. Bottom line is Contrast paint isn't out yet so nobody knows; but I'd be willing to bet that most primers will work just as good as an undercoat.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I decided to paint up one of those Wizkids unpainted D&D miniatures yesterday, and I really don't care for them at all. It's nice that there's less detail to make it quicker to paint, but the details they do have aren't defined very well. I was working on a Mindflayer, and I couldn't even tell where his sleeve stopped and the hand started. Am I the only one that has this problem with those minis? I'm sure part of is I'm just not a very good painter, but I didn't have the same problem with my Legion stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Funzo posted:

I decided to paint up one of those Wizkids unpainted D&D miniatures yesterday, and I really don't care for them at all. It's nice that there's less detail to make it quicker to paint, but the details they do have aren't defined very well. I was working on a Mindflayer, and I couldn't even tell where his sleeve stopped and the hand started. Am I the only one that has this problem with those minis? I'm sure part of is I'm just not a very good painter, but I didn't have the same problem with my Legion stuff.

Their big creatures are pretty solid, especially for the price, and quite a few of them are pretty much the only option for certain monsters if you want them to be plastic, cheap, and modern-looking, but yeah their human-sized stuff is trash. Their primer is really thick and the small sculpts come out with very soft detail - Bones stuff is cheaper and better-looking, imo.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I dont remember who asked about the H&S infinity but here's my review so far:

I loving love it. Apart from being able to put a tiny needle in it and do very fine work, the trigger mechanism is a god send. It doesn't hurt my hand nearly as much as long sessions with the NEOs did. It has two different controls that let you set how far back the trigger can go, and the physical design is a lot more comfortable to hold and pull on. The part you place your finger on is large and curved so it doesn't dig in.

I've been having some problems with my paints going through it but that's down to the paints themselves having been left for a couple of years on their sides. There's a tiny bit of goopage going on there. I have had to clean it out a few times already as a result. That does let me say that pulling it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together is still super quick and easy as on the simpler models.

At the time I bought it, it was 3-4x more expensive than a NEO, which was the only other one I'd used. It's definitely better and Im happy I have it, but if you've got a mid range model I dont know if the price is worth the smaller step up? I also do crazy stuff with my airbrush so I really make use of the full range of settings and limiters it has.

Replacement parts aren't expensive either, only a tiny bit more than they were for the NEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Marzipan Pig posted:

I dont remember who asked about the H&S infinity but here's my review so far:

I own and use an H&S infinity most days. Everything you said is bang on.

The fit and finish makes you realise that all airbrushes are not the same. Not even close.

As always, the best partner for an infinity is Vallejo flow improver.