Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I finally got a chance to read an article i had been putting off for a few weeks.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

There were so many things that are worth discussing in this article, but this one in particular jumped out at me.

The story is about a kid falling into the alt-right, but this short throw away line really really hits home at the root of the problem. How do we make media stop putting nazis in front of microphones and cameras?

I really recommend everyone read the full story, as it is a good read. scary as well if you have kids.

I read this article when it was new and aside from the bit you quoted, certainly a huge problem we need to confront in and of itself, was the learned helplessness of the parent who had DIRECT power to stop her kid's slide into the abyss. "Well we could see his unfettered Internet access was turning him into a Wannabe Hitler but there was just nothing we could do! They had a hold on him!" Was I the only one screaming, "TAKE AWAY HIS COMPUTER AND DEVICES AND STOP LETTING HIM ON THE INTERNET ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT YOU IDIOT!!!!" She was acting like, as the parent paying the bills for the very internet access that was warping her kid into a hate monger, she could do nothing but simply sit by and wring her hands helplessly. We are loving DOOMED if that's what passes for the average parent today. I'm not sure how common this phenomena is but it was loving enraging to me.

EDIT

This cat hates Nazis too:

https://twitter.com/TheDaiIyKitten/status/1136947539662520321

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1137051857308618752

Ah yes, that genius intellect on display

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In 2019, I don't think you can just cut off someone's Internet access like you could in 1998 like it was a PlayStation. That kid could just go to the library or use a friend's computer or phone and it's all right there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Spring: Including Mars (of which the moon is a part)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

JonathonSpectre posted:

What the gently caress.

Andrew Johnson was a white supremacist nightmare who squandered the sacrifice and victory of the Civil War. He was an unbelievable piece of poo poo and no one should say a good word about him.

God drat Andrew Johnson. If there is a Hell he's frying in a giant pan right next to John Wilkes Booth, R.E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis. gently caress Andrew Johnson, the worst President (so far) and one of the worst people in history.
Yeah, also he was a Democrat, not a Republican. I mean if you're going to try to rehabilitate his legacy for some batshit reason at least get that part right.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kale posted:

It's very difficult to have a conversation about this stuff when one's position is absolutely set in stone and often centers on the most apocalyptic outcome possible where anything that deviates from that prediction is stated to be woefully naive and an impossible outcome. Very difficult indeed.

The public is shrugging his shoulders at literal toddler death camps being run within our borders. The old status quo is gone, and it's not coming back. And if you think it's still possible for the old status quo to come back, then you're incredibly naive.

It's not that my opinion is set in stone or that I always expect the absolute most apocalyptic outcome to come true- it's that you've lived such a sheltered life that you have no idea what you're talking about here. And really that's the big difference between us here- lived experience.

I've spent my life confronting this exact type of radicalization and dealing with authority figures who had this exact psychological dysfunction, it sounds horrible but to me everything that's going on in the country at the moment is old hat. The emotional exhaustion of struggling against gaslighting, watching those around you simply Cafe in and go along with the flow because it's easier, watching lies and the reaction to kies dominate the conversation, etc etc. I've never really truly known anything else but this kind of dysfunctional environment.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

What? Did Mars steal the moon from us?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

SocketWrench posted:

Oh yes, you were sooo persecuted. Shut up. For all the good poo poo you post you post double dumb poo poo

:rolleyes:

I never said or intimated anything about persecution in that post (I don't consider being disagreed with to be persecution). Just that I was going against the centrist grain at the time, which I generally was.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, what? Is he having a stroke or is he trying to see if his powers to rewrite reality work?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think he means that Mars and the Moon are a part of what NASA is doing. It's just written like poo poo.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SocketWrench posted:

We will not countenance this unprovoked Martian aggression!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

In 2019, I don't think you can just cut off someone's Internet access like you could in 1998 like it was a PlayStation. That kid could just go to the library or use a friend's computer or phone and it's all right there.

So do nothing. Gotcha. Because that's what she did: nothing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Minenfeld! posted:

I think he means that Mars and the Moon are a part of what NASA is doing. It's just written like poo poo.

Yeah, having a resupply station at the moon is a part of going to Mars, but holy poo poo he sounds dumb.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

He's yelling at a cloud.

'argh things cost so much we should be doing better things by now like go to Mars'

'oh wait I said NASA should go back to the Moon before'

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Those Goddamn Martians taking our moon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was a veteran in the meme moon wars.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

cochise posted:

I declare Martian Law

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I was a veteran in the meme moon wars.
One day I'm going to show the US Space Force (Make Space Great Again) hat I got as a joke gift to my grandkids and tell them a totally bullshit story about how I fought Martians in Trump's Space Crusade and that's why granddad drinks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok we should probably cut this off before it devolves into a bunch of references from The Expanse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Minenfeld! posted:

Medullah posted:

Yeah, having a resupply station at the moon is a part of going to Mars, but holy poo poo he sounds dumb.
Y'know all those articles about diplomatic translators hating Trump make sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cochise posted:

It was obstructing their view of Venus

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Ok we should probably cut this off before it devolves into a bunch of references from The Expanse.

The Belters are the real losers in this situation. :colbert:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Y'know all those articles about diplomatic translators hating Trump make sense.
Simultaneous translation is an amazing skill and I respect the hell out of anyone who does it, but it's absolutely hilarious to watch them try to translate a profanity-laden shouting match, or crazy stream of consciousness rambling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137040971311353856

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137040975258198017

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137045728344170496

lots of fun today.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VH4Ever posted:

I read this article when it was new and aside from the bit you quoted, certainly a huge problem we need to confront in and of itself, was the learned helplessness of the parent who had DIRECT power to stop her kid's slide into the abyss. "Well we could see his unfettered Internet access was turning him into a Wannabe Hitler but there was just nothing we could do! They had a hold on him!" Was I the only one screaming, "TAKE AWAY HIS COMPUTER AND DEVICES AND STOP LETTING HIM ON THE INTERNET ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT YOU IDIOT!!!!" She was acting like, as the parent paying the bills for the very internet access that was warping her kid into a hate monger, she could do nothing but simply sit by and wring her hands helplessly. We are loving DOOMED if that's what passes for the average parent today. I'm not sure how common this phenomena is but it was loving enraging to me.

I was also frustrated by that, and the complete lack of the involvement other parent in any shape or form.

I think the tendency for parents to not just take away communications like that is strong, as it was regularly done to them as kids. They seem to want him to come to his own conclusions without a guiding hand at all, which is ridiculous. I think the learned helplessness is a big part of the problem of inaction these days, and this fits the bill.

The impetus for the problem was the sexual harassment incident. It seems like the parent's lack of oversight and guidance let this kid down in that instance, and his reaction to that lack of guidance and help from his authority figures was to seek them online. If you see your kid doing stupid offensive poo poo and do nothing about it, you're part of the problem. It seems conspicuous that the details of that incident were left out.

Star Man posted:

While i generally agree, they could have done a ton more to prevent the downward slide they were witnessing. I am not sure reacting harshly would have ended up in a better result either. punitive actions would have likely driven the kid further away into the alt-right. They maybe felt they didn't have any good options.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

There was an incredibly misinformed and racist as gently caress letter to the editor in my local paper yesterday. I want to respond but I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort. Anyways here’s a lovely picture

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Remember when Obama (correctly) stated "You didn't build that!" and the media went nuts for days? But our current president says stupid poo poo like this over and over and over and over and the media covers for him? It's amazing, like a stupidity security blanket.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So.....the Mexican government is going to be enacting it's own tariffs on things? Cause in real world logic and how tariffs actually work that's what this implies.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The 'P' makes me sick, if it means what I think this shithead is implying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why is Mexico even playing along? All the financial news stories in the big city elevators are breathlessly talking about how the two sides are in heated frantic negotiations and desperate to find a deal before the deadline. Why is Mexico even returning our calls?

Just tell us "Fine, charge yourselves more to buy from us, see if we give a poo poo"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The P is there because of pedophile right?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

I was confused too. I’m pretty sure it’s pansexual. Idk what else it could be and I’m not sure how someone who hates the gays knows about land but hey.

Anyways that letter was just another rant about the gay rat wedding.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ague Proof posted:

bobjr posted:

The P is there because of pedophile right?

Yup. Welcome back to the 70's. It started to gain traction about a year ago, but "oh you're a gay man, you must love little boys" is a talking point again.

e: to clarify, I'm saying this as a gay man in New York. It's not like I never heard this before, but since last year it's spiked.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

LloydDobler posted:

Remember when Obama (correctly) stated "You didn't build that!" and the media went nuts for days? But our current president says stupid poo poo like this over and over and over and over and the media covers for him? It's amazing, like a stupidity security blanket.

I love pointing this out, I won't lie, but Obama stole it from Liz Warren who said it months beforehand during her first run for Senate.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

So do nothing. Gotcha. Because that's what she did: nothing.

The internet is just like guns: you don't solve the problem by taking it away from just a few people, you have to take it away from everyone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Tracer Tong was right after all

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JonathonSpectre posted:

What the gently caress.

Andrew Johnson was a white supremacist nightmare who squandered the sacrifice and victory of the Civil War. He was an unbelievable piece of poo poo and no one should say a good word about him.

God drat Andrew Johnson. If there is a Hell he's frying in a giant pan right next to John Wilkes Booth, R.E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis. gently caress Andrew Johnson, the worst President (so far) and one of the worst people in history.

It was my recollection that until he became president he was a radical Republican who wanted to squash the South flat, but I'll reread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There was an incredibly misinformed and racist as gently caress letter to the editor in my local paper yesterday. I want to respond but I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort. Anyways here’s a lovely picture

lol he would absolutely not give up his language and his culture if he went to live in another country, he'd demand those surly natives learn English to accommodate him

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

VH4Ever posted:

I love pointing this out, I won't lie, but Obama stole it from Liz Warren who said it months beforehand during her first run for Senate.

So he didn't build it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PhazonLink posted:

Tracer Tong was right after all

Dark Age Ending 4 lyfe, yo.