Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Furism posted:

What would you guys say these two colors are for the hull? I'm trying to pick the right Vallejo references to make this exact helicopter. :france:

Khaki and khaki obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Light Matt Grey
Slightly Darker Matt Grey

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Guys it's a French helo.

Gris clair
Gris moyen

Try looking up FS35237 and FS36320. You might not get an exact match because the French have their own color naming system.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The hardest part of scale modelling is restraining yourself from buying every shade. But then if you do have them all, you can't buy any more right?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Furism posted:

What would you guys say these two colors are for the hull? I'm trying to pick the right Vallejo references to make this exact helicopter. :france:

lol just lol if you don't want to aquatint yourself with 10,000 variations of the color grey

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've had a serious lack of mojo lately so I decided to put down the 1/32 B-17E for a while and do some other stuff. I've had this sitting on the shelf since forever, but finally decided to give it a go and try my hand at a tank interior. Turns out this is pretty much an upscaled version of the T-34/76 kit which was the first kit I did getting back into the hobby. At the time, I built the interior, but didn't dare paint it. On this go-around, I'm obviously going all-in. This is a great little kit and the interior - at least the fighting compartment - fits beautifully. I've got the engine components built and primed, but they still need painting and weathering. Pretty happy with the results so far!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is that the Trumpeter kit? I wanted to get my hands on a 1:16 T-34 for some time now, but they seem quite rare.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

Guys it's a French helo.

Pretty sure a French helo is Bonjour.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:suicide:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that the Trumpeter kit? I wanted to get my hands on a 1:16 T-34 for some time now, but they seem quite rare.

Nope, the 1/35 AFV Club kit. My guess is that this kit is a downscaled version of the kit you're referring to.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/afv-club-af35145-t-34-85--225685

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:thurman:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Today I learned that Vallejo Blue Grey Pale and Pale Grey Blue are two substantially different colors.

Serious post: French Mirage Blue and Sky Grey.

Actual post:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Not a huge fan of these AK Real Colors so far. They cover fine, but if you try to thin them down to the same thinness as you can with other lacquers, they tend to separate. Gonna find out if the other jars also act up when I paint the upper surfaces.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:five:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furism posted:

Ocean Gray and Military Gray :v:.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

gently caress :stonklol:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Furism posted:

Others have said French Mirage Blue and Pale Blue Grey, but i think for scale fading you may want to go with Dark Ghost Grey and Light Ghost Grey, since French Mirage Blue (at least Vallejo) goes on very dark. It depends how large your scale is. I'd definitely go for the washed out colors of the latter pair if it's as small as 1/72.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Many funny people in this thread! Bande de petits trous du cul.

Symetrique posted:

Guys it's a French helo.

Ok that's pretty good :)

Symetrique posted:

Try looking up FS35237 and FS36320. You might not get an exact match because the French have their own color naming system.

My home-made equivalency chart tells me that FS35237 is actually Blue Grey Pale. But I don't have an equivalency for FS36320 yet, I'll look that up. Thanks!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Others have said French Mirage Blue and Pale Blue Grey, but i think for scale fading you may want to go with Dark Ghost Grey and Light Ghost Grey, since French Mirage Blue (at least Vallejo) goes on very dark. It depends how large your scale is. I'd definitely go for the washed out colors of the latter pair if it's as small as 1/72.

Yes it's 1/72. I'll give it a try on some sprue first but thank you very much for narrowing this down.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

That website is fantastic. I've been looking for something where you can plug a hex code in and it will list an approximate colour match to a brand.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think the darker helo is Bonsoir.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The hardest part of scale modelling is restraining yourself from buying every shade. But then if you do have them all, you can't buy any more right?

No see you buy every shade and then because you use them so little they dry out and then you have to replace them!

I really, really need to stop buying shades of blue.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Marzipan Pig posted:

No see you buy every shade and then because you use them so little they dry out and then you have to replace them!

I really, really need to stop buying shades of blue.

I just fall into the trap of feeling like i have to buy the paint they list in the instructions when I buy a new kit. Example from the MAZ-537 kit I posted a bit back. I wanted to do the afghan army paint job and this is the paint they list for the main colour. https://www.scalemates.com/colors/ammo-by-mig-jimenez--682/amig-0057-yellow-grey-acrylic-matt--6126. I think to myself that's almost like the dark yellow I have. But it's closer to Tamiya Deck Tan. Then I umm and aah about if I should get a bottle of it. But then I could just try and take my dark yellow and try to make a mix to get a closer match, but I have no real experience mixing colourrs and wouldn't know what to mix into it to make it a paler sand colour.

There's just so many drat shades :ohdear:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Tools are just as bad.

Hasegawa just made nippers for photo etch. They look cool and useful, but not $60 useful.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

And they're just regular chinesium jewelers tools but with a brand name stamped onto them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I saw $99 Gundam branded clippers. Surely there can be no reason at all for them to cost that much.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, I wouldn't pay $99, but I did buy some pricier Meng sprue nippers, and they are infinitely better than the Xurons I was using.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It’s like any of the games workshop tools. They have a captive audience in the store and can upsell them on crap they don’t need. They sell overpriced glues that don’t work as well as the stuff you can get from the hardware shop or other hobby places.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back when I used to work for GW if the manager wasn't on the floor we'd refuse to sell their superglue and send people up to the supermarket to buy Loctite instead. Cheaper, better, doesn't gum up the bottle so much.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
More progress on the 1/35 AFV Club T-34/85. Today I finished the engine and transmission. This is almost entirely out-of-the-box. I only added spark plug wires and some fuel lines. Very happy with the results so far. :)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

And they're just regular chinesium jewelers tools but with a brand name stamped onto them.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/tt42/

I'm sure they're actually of decent quality, but you'd have to be cutting a lot of photo etch to make something this niche worth it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, I wouldn't pay $99, but I did buy some pricier Meng sprue nippers, and they are infinitely better than the Xurons I was using.

Seems like the important thing is to get quality forged flush cutters. I went from Xurons to Tamiya sharp side cutters and it was a pretty huge difference, but I doubt going from Tamiya to Godhands would be as big of a jump.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It’s like any of the games workshop tools. They have a captive audience in the store and can upsell them on crap they don’t need. They sell overpriced glues that don’t work as well as the stuff you can get from the hardware shop or other hobby places.

I did see one slapfight on r/modelmakers because someone posted an overpriced GW tool for removing seam lines, and a bunch of people jumped on him for not just using the back of a hobby knife.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Seems like the important thing is to get quality forged flush cutters. I went from Xurons to Tamiya sharp side cutters and it was a pretty huge difference, but I doubt going from Tamiya to Godhands would be as big of a jump.

Same. I got some sharp pointed side cutters last month cause it was my birthday and man they cut so nicely. Now I usually use the xurons to cut the gate back from the part a little ways then go in with the Tamiya to make sure I get the best angle and there's barely any mark at all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Are photoetch bending pliers worth dropping money on? I'm in the middle of a model that has a *lot* of bending involved, and like, lengthwise. Making quite a bit of lengths of angle iron, for example. Absolute pain in the rear end with my current strategy, which is a pair of tweezers with globs of super glue all over them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

Are photoetch bending pliers worth dropping money on? I'm in the middle of a model that has a *lot* of bending involved, and like, lengthwise. Making quite a bit of lengths of angle iron, for example. Absolute pain in the rear end with my current strategy, which is a pair of tweezers with globs of super glue all over them.

It's totally worth having some un-toothed jeweler type pliers, imo. I have these. The wide surface makes it easier to bend poo poo. There are more expensive versions with nylon work surfaces to avoid scratching the stuff you're bending (including purpose-made modeling tools and otherwise), but in my experience that isn't necessary. I haven't used any of the super cheap versions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Symetrique posted:

I’ve been using these for several years and have been pleased with them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugworth posted:

The Tamiya ones blow. There's so much side to side slop in the hinge that the edges of the jaws will be offset from each when brought together, giving an uneven bending surface.

Much better just to get a cheap pair of toothless smooth-jawed pliers from the hardware store, or even from a beading supply place.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

What about something like this sketchy chinese tool?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr....eccc3f3aOQo0EG

Edit:

Oh god. A weapon to surpass metal gear:

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 10, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Managed to get a couple of models finished over the last couple of days both of which where nearly finished when I set them aside.
The first is a BMW M6 GT3 put out by Platz NuNu. It was a super frustrating kit to put together particularly when it came to fitting the bumpers to the body and the rear wing support at the back was poorly planned. Glad it's finished up and on the shelf.

The second was an oldish tamiya kit that was annoying for the decals but the rest of it more or less fell together as expected. I'm not super happy about the clear I put over the decals but given I don't have an airbrush and don't want to use TS13 it'll have to do.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Nice job getting those looking so good without an airbrush! Very impressive. Those decals too... that’s the main reason I stay away from track cars and mostly do street stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

]

Edit:

Oh god. A weapon to surpass metal gear:

I can't figure out what this is for. Why would you want to spray paint at the tip of a marker?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I can't figure out what this is for. Why would you want to spray paint at the tip of a marker?

I think it’s so you can somehow airbrush with the marker by I guess ablating ink off the tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Managed to get a couple of models finished over the last couple of days both of which where nearly finished when I set them aside.
The first is a BMW M6 GT3 put out by Platz NuNu. It was a super frustrating kit to put together particularly when it came to fitting the bumpers to the body and the rear wing support at the back was poorly planned. Glad it's finished up and on the shelf.

The second was an oldish tamiya kit that was annoying for the decals but the rest of it more or less fell together as expected. I'm not super happy about the clear I put over the decals but given I don't have an airbrush and don't want to use TS13 it'll have to do.

Bless you for having the patience to do that without an airbrush. It looks pretty sharp, too!

It's 100% meant to blow paint off the marker tip, rather than onto it. Ostensibly it's so you can get perfect color-matching with the Gundam-branded markers, but in reality, it's because people are suckers.