Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

"the real peso"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The business press is desperately trying to fake-news a rate cut into existence and lol if it works

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Piss

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gonna have to quit pulling out if I want those churchbucks

*weeping, clutching hem of priest's robes* please, it's snowing i... have nowhere else to go, i didn't mean to spill it on the ground lots of guys have that problem i meant to cum in her i swear

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Big inflation energy here

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah this is why things that rich people buy is going through crazy inflation while poor people things like food are largely flat

fortunately we have a solution for this!
*rich people start literally buying all the real estate and trailer parks in the country and the flood of money causes an inflation in the prices poor people pay*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*young people try to buy starter family home*

*gets sniped by berkshire hathaway or some other billionaire gently caress on the first public sell date with an all cash offer*

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

comedyblissoption posted:

*rich people start literally buying all the real estate and trailer parks in the country and the flood of money causes an inflation in the prices poor people pay*

Start? Have you looked at the Bay Area in the past 10-15 years?

Apr 7, 2003

*gets sniped by berkshire hathaway or some other billionaire gently caress on the first public sell date with an all cash offer*

This has been happening for a decade or more, right now.

A capital fund in Georgia has been loving working people for a decade now by having a realtor license and software that evaluates houses to pull desirable properties off to rent them before end buyers ever see them.

My old landlord that I sued here was doing something similar.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

also FIRE companies which got bailed out after the 2008 crash just re-bought the homes and rented them to the people who got foreclosed.

Thanks Obama!

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Marzzle posted:

the worst thing about our society's dependence on 401ks for economic security in people's retirement is that you're basically holding a gun to anyone over 55's head's retirement and it has made our government a slave to finance. the erosion of the fed's "neutrality" is the last step in business completely capturing the country and becoming a full on russian kleptocracy but powered by the "free market" (read: buying up everyone's poo poo for pennies on the dollar because you destroyed the institutions that kept people's assets from wildly fluctuating in value)

Pensions also relied on the stock market. Really what's changed is that we now expect a huge number people to live for 20+ years after they stop working, which was not the case in the past.

Apr 7, 2003

ChipNDip posted:

Pensions also relied on the stock market. Really what's changed is that we now expect a huge number people to live for 20+ years after they stop working, which was not the case in the past.

Incorrect

Low life expectancies back in the day were mostly due to childhood morality. If you made it to adulthood, you were likely gonna make it your sixties barring an accident.

“Everyone in 1609 died at age 34” is dumb poo poo.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Say what u will about the feddy reserve but at least they support LGBT :buddy:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 8, 2019

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Incorrect

Low life expectancies back in the day were mostly due to childhood morality. If you made it to adulthood, you were likely gonna make it your sixties barring an accident.

this is not what they're saying

yes you could easily live to 65, which was always the retirement age. the new thing is that medicine has advanced to the point where particularly rich (or just lucky) retirees can make it to their late 80s and spend all that time sucking down fascist brainwashing and leathering their skin on the golf course

Apr 7, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is not what they're saying

yes you could easily live to 65, which was always the retirement age. the new thing is that medicine has advanced to the point where particularly rich (or just lucky) retirees can make it to their late 80s and spend all that time sucking down fascist brainwashing and leathering their skin on the golf course

Wrong.

The problem isn’t life expectancy, the problem is end of life care. The costs are the same whether you’re 60 or 80.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Are you thinking of insurance? The other goon said pensions.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dildo Malone posted:

so yesterday all the chuds were going nuts over the april trade numbers showing a decrease in the deficit and lol the deficit only went down because both imports and exports dropped by 2.2%. imports and exports are both lower than they were in january.

then today https://twitter.com/hshierholz/status/1136984608392790016

all of this is wonderful news for number

we added exactly 75000 jobs, not one less or more
:hmmyes:

Apr 7, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Are you thinking of insurance? The other goon said pensions.

There isn’t a real difference, a pension is insurance against poverty until you die. Anyone offering a pension should have poo poo worked out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

There isn’t a real difference, a pension is insurance against poverty until you die. Anyone offering a pension should have poo poo worked out.

edit: Where are you finding pensions whose payments will skyrocket right before I die? I want to die loaded

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 8, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A fixed annuity, which is basically buying your own pension, for example is legally and insurance product and not an investment. That is why banks sell them, because it is much easier to qualify to do so, legally.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

A fixed annuity, which is basically buying your own pension, for example is legally and insurance product and not an investment. That is why banks sell them, because it is much easier to qualify to do so, legally.

I donut understand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Soliciting the sale of insurance products is differently licensed than the sale of investment products. a fixed annuity is legally an insurance product, whereas a variable annuity is legally an investment. a fixed annuity is essentially a pension you bought for yourself.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this happened to me a non-zero amount of times in pittsburgh. i wound up having to use my realtor's connections to buy something pre-market which is probably a racket but gently caress it at least i finally have a place

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like straight up i'd be out and about on a weekend- realtor would call me saying he found a place that matched what i was looking for and he could schedule me to see it the next morning, first thing. he'd call me as i'd be driving over to say someone had already bought it but i could still come out if i wanted to look at it for the hell of it. extremely aggravating

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Incorrect

Sure, but life expectancy at age 65 has also gone up compared to 50 years ago because we've also gotten pretty good at spending tons of money to keep old people alive.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Rex-Goliath posted:

like straight up i'd be out and about on a weekend- realtor would call me saying he found a place that matched what i was looking for and he could schedule me to see it the next morning, first thing. he'd call me as i'd be driving over to say someone had already bought it but i could still come out if i wanted to look at it for the hell of it. extremely aggravating

Seems weird that he'd offer to let you still see it anyway, but I know that I would have looked for the hell of it if I had already made plans

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

this happened to me a non-zero amount of times in pittsburgh. i wound up having to use my realtor's connections to buy something pre-market which is probably a racket but gently caress it at least i finally have a place

it's absolutely a racket to keep online brokerages sidelined. Redfin and such have access to the MLS, but they don't have access to the "hey I've got a client who wants X, give me a heads up before you list anything like that" network.

real estate is really hosed up in this country, and a lot of it is due to groups like the national association of realtors keeping commissions up and making their services effectively mandatory.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

im on the net me boys posted:

Seems weird that he'd offer to let you still see it anyway, but I know that I would have looked for the hell of it if I had already made plans

it helps to see it in person so you're more prepared for the next one. especially when you know you can't even have it you tend to have a more critical eye so you notice the cracks in the foundation, that weird stain might be water damage? stuff like that. then your mental checklist is that much longer for things to look for or consider at the next place. think of it as practice

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137155057667989511

not gonna get your rate cut this way donny boy

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
it's extremely cool how the US gets to set the foreign policy of other countries by holding their economies hostage

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I think, America should have a currency backed by Wall

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nasa to open International Space Station to tourists
Nasa is to allow tourists to visit the International Space Station from 2020, priced at $35,000 (£27,500) per night.

i assume bezos, branson, et al are investing all the money they don't know what to do with in space vessels for the purpose of cruising on private space yachts

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nasa is to allow tourists to visit the International Space Station from 2020, priced at $35,000 (£27,500) per night.

i assume bezos, branson, et al are investing all the money they don't know what to do with in space vessels for the purpose of cruising on private space yachts

If I was a parasite capitalist, that is in fact how I would lord my wealth over the peasants.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

well the good news is the ISS is also not a defensible position

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rated PG-34 posted:

well the good news is the ISS is also not a defensible position

The 7000 kilometer per second guillotine

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

That's about half the price of a summit bid on Mount Everest.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Prester Jane posted:

That's about half the price of a summit bid on Mount Everest.

Hopefully it will have double the death toll.

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011
*i come crashing through the ceiling of the thread and slam against the floor so hard all my teeth fall out, and i get up, foam dribbling from my empty mouth, my eyes darting around like crazy, every muscle tensed, ready to explode at any minute*

they should call them 'FaceBucks'

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Comrade O Ring, Do Your Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Kind of a weird headline because nasa doesn't own the iss and there have been several space tourist visits to it already. The article clarified that it's been Russia that's been sending tourists up until now