Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

this happened to me a non-zero amount of times in pittsburgh. i wound up having to use my realtor's connections to buy something pre-market which is probably a racket but gently caress it at least i finally have a place

The trick is to find a realtor who is willing to dig for off-market properties, not pre-market (WTF, I've never even heard of that). With off-market you never have to deal with bidding wars and you're not hurried.

I work for a realtor and we do off-market searches when clients ask for it, often after they put in an offer for something and lose out by multiple bids. All a realtor really has to do is go on the MLS, find someone who tried to sell their house but didn't for whatever reason (expireds) and call/knock to see if they'd be willing to let a buyer check the place out. Sometimes we do letter campaigns.

It's extremely time consuming for the realtor. Most realtors are lazy and lack the basic skillset of their own chosen profession. But if you're able to ferret out a competent one, it's worth it.

Pretty much every normal person is going to have to do the above to find a house in the future. Any time a normal semi-affordable house comes on the market here (Portland) it's an instant bidding war that puts it back up to $400k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

this happened to me a non-zero amount of times in pittsburgh. i wound up having to use my realtor's connections to buy something pre-market which is probably a racket but gently caress it at least i finally have a place

I live in a loser neighborhood no one wants to live in, have you considered doing that

Apr 7, 2003

News from four blocks away

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/06/06/gator-in-beechview/

Apr 7, 2003

Christoph posted:

The trick is to find a realtor who is willing to dig for off-market properties, not pre-market (WTF, I've never even heard of that). With off-market you never have to deal with bidding wars and you're not hurried.

I work for a realtor and we do off-market searches when clients ask for it, often after they put in an offer for something and lose out by multiple bids. All a realtor really has to do is go on the MLS, find someone who tried to sell their house but didn't for whatever reason (expireds) and call/knock to see if they'd be willing to let a buyer check the place out. Sometimes we do letter campaigns.

It's extremely time consuming for the realtor. Most realtors are lazy and lack the basic skillset of their own chosen profession. But if you're able to ferret out a competent one, it's worth it.

Pretty much every normal person is going to have to do the above to find a house in the future. Any time a normal semi-affordable house comes on the market here (Portland) it's an instant bidding war that puts it back up to $400k.

I bought in a non-trendy neighborhood. I'm a ten minute ride on light rail from downtown. My total property taxes are $810 a year because my house is underassessed. I paid $120K for an 1800 square foot house - no garage or driveway but that's fine, we don't drive anywhere anyway.

We have multiple grocery stores within walking distance.

I wonder what most of America would pay for what I outlined.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Goreld posted:

you’re onto something here. There’s been serious construction at a shanty town near me - it doubled in size in the last few months.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/business/oakland-home-depot-fed-up-with-homeless-camp/5305950/

It’s currently so huge and favela-like that there’s a dude outside it set up with an easel, making a painting of its grandeur.
yeah i live in the east bay and tent encampment favela's have gotten pretty insane even just within the last 3 years. That HD area there is particularly depressing. Most are just trying to get by, but theres definitely a sizeble content of turbo crazy aggressive like the racist homeless that stabbed n killed 2 black teens on bart, and they're also often the ones that get are kicked out of what mostly meager services are available. like homeless was always a problem going back decades but it's really an order of magnitude bad, for a lot of obvious reasons. we need a housing authority (lol) that just builds n operates thousands of 4-7 story wood frame all over concrete podium structures all over the country ignoring all NIMBY zoning laws, and then rent 1/2 out at cost and 1/2 free, and build lots of public mental institutions that are properly funded instead of starved till they become bad (even at their worst they're not any worse than every nursing care facility that boombers sent their parents to to die in misery, abuse and rape which boombers themselves will experience very soon).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
50 stories, soulless concrete

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
brutalist design owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1136978462927929344

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bejdhs3jGyw

yeah i'm sure the AMA is going to care

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137155057667989511

not gonna get your rate cut this way donny boy

this is gonna number tho

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Christoph posted:

yeah i guess this is what i meant, not pre-market. idk real estate stuff

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I live in a loser neighborhood no one wants to live in, have you considered doing that

half the places sniped out from under me were in dormont!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

im on the net me boys posted:

it's extremely cool how the US gets to set the foreign policy of other countries by holding its own economy hostage

FTFY

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I'm sure the organization that stopped nationalized healthcare in the 30s is gonna change their mind today

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol in one week I made almost $1,000 in the stock market. Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbbbeeeeerrrrrrr

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

lol in one week I made almost $1,000 in the stock market. Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbbbeeeeerrrrrrr

did you sell the stock and turn it into cash yet because if not you didnt make the money

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FBS posted:

guess mexicos deal was just too good to refuse

re: the rate cut he can just go set up tariffs on euro cars now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

did you sell the stock and turn it into cash yet because if not you didnt make the money

I should, but then my number won’t keep going up?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
That which contradicts the number is heresy, that which supports the number is superfluous!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this has probably been posted but lmao

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1136620252869980161

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You're hosed in the head if you think for a second that the C-suite hasn't premined a shitload of it

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I bought in a non-trendy neighborhood. I'm a ten minute ride on light rail from downtown. My total property taxes are $810 a year because my house is underassessed. I paid $120K for an 1800 square foot house - no garage or driveway but that's fine, we don't drive anywhere anyway.

We have multiple grocery stores within walking distance.

I wonder what most of America would pay for what I outlined.

$1 billion+ because you'd have to build the light rail system and the grocery stores.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How is this not from the onion

how is this not against laws against company scrip

how is anything

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Powershift posted:

how is anything

i'm guessing because it's voluntary it isn't illegal but also lol since when have tech companies cared about breaking the law?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Getting paid in Facebook scrip will be voluntary but all the nearby stores will only accept scrip, calling it now

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

just think of all the scams people will be able to do with whatsapp money

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rex-Goliath posted:

since when have tech companies cared about breaking the law?
Whenever anyone does it besides them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1134131587744817152

What could this mean? :hmmyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

number go up!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Get a job in the vice industries.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

FBS posted:

Número. ¿Numerito? ¡¡¡Numerote!!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FaceBucks

Zuckerbucks

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I only make 0.03423563 Zuccs per hour

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

FaceBucks

Zuckerbucks

When you butt but she keeps zucking

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Get a job in the vice industries.

alcohol, tobacco, processed and fast foods are going to be winning investments for the next 5 years or so

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

how is anything
If it’s structured as an automatic voluntary purchase with funds that the company nominally paid then I don’t suppose it directly breaks any labor laws. that doesn’t mean Facebook won’t eventually be sued by employees who are dissatisfied with their magic beans

Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

half the places sniped out from under me were in dormont!

A lot of dormont buyers are people who would have bought on Mt Lebanon before 2010 when prices went apeshit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cool dance moves posted:

Getting paid in Facebook scrip will be voluntary but all the nearby stores will only accept scrip, calling it now
Facebook’s campus was designed by a theme park architect and he threw in some vendor stalls because why the heck not? It’s tacky af

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
so there is a podcast by robinhood (a smartphone app for trading stocks). its called robinhood snacks. its kind of bad its super-light business news by two bro hosts bro'ing it up. they made a hip hop jingle out of the normal disclosure stuff you see on any investments-related thing.

argh sharing podcasts is hard. nvm its not that funny

poty fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 8, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

so there is a podcast by robinhood (a smartphone app for trading stocks). its called robinhood snacks. its kind of bad its super-light business news by two bro hosts bro'ing it up. they made a hip hop jingle out of the normal disclosure stuff you see on any investments-related thing.

argh sharing podcasts is hard

yeah I listen to last pod on the left too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Frankly, Robinhood's existence as an app is all the comedy I require from Robinhood. They advertised it at the end of Welcome to Night Vale once and it took me until the very end of the commercial to realise it wasn't supposed to be a parody.

We've stumbled upon the perfect Rosetta Stone of cynicism to correctly interpret the incomprehensibly-stupid events of the modern age and people who are nominally "Yeah, both sides are crooks, we're getting hosed from all ends" are still somehow surprised when poo poo unfolds as it has before and as we've told them it would?