Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

V8. Sedan. Roomy. Comfy. Sledgehammer simple. Too goddamned big to park

The biggest crime is that the Marauder was the most extreme factory Panther we ever got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/markmitchellbro/status/1136767507921084417

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This could go in a few threads but I think here is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3w3fVS-SgQ
When he scrapes it's terrifying.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You wouldn't believe how hard core against this thing the olds in my racing group are. Or maybe you would. All they do is complain about how it doesn't make any vroom sounds.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

net work error posted:

There is fundamentally no part of this that isn't terrifying. loving amazing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MrYenko posted:

The biggest crime is that the Marauder was the most extreme factory Panther we ever got.

Blame SVT, the Marauder was initially going to get the Terminator mill.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

net work error posted:

this leak of F-Zero Rammers has me excited again for Nintendo’s e3 presentation :yeah:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

You wouldn't believe how hard core against this thing the olds in my racing group are. Or maybe you would. All they do is complain about how it doesn't make any vroom sounds.

Well when you hear say an Audi S1 at full howl .... they do have a point. It's far more of an experience to hear and feel the sound of an engine bellowing, rather than a mildly ear irritating whine.

I'll happily race EV's, the tech really interests me big time but gently caress spectating when EV's are racing

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah that's unwatchable with the mild headache i currently have, I feel like driving one would be migraine inducing..

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...prm=&pnLink=yes

These things are starting to come up for sale.

They cost $200k new, and have 2.8 liter navistar i4 diesels that can run on jet fuel and GM 4L70s transmissions. And 4 wheel steering.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 8, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grakkus posted:

Yeah that's unwatchable with the mild headache i currently have, I feel like driving one would be migraine inducing..

Is the drivers seat of a race car particularly serene?

I personally didn't have a problem with the sounds, but I think any race car cockpit is going to be unbearably loud.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Fair point! Though watching 20 of them go past at once in a race is going to cause nosebleeds

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm curious what the ID.R's time would look like if maybe it could work some kind of gearing in there somewhere without losing too much efficiency or gaining too much weight. It definitely hauls rear end but it was up to like 120+ km/h down on the 919 in some of the faster sections. Love those funky spaceship noises though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

They cost $200k new, and have 2.8 liter navistar i4 diesels that can run on jet fuel and GM 4L70s transmissions. And 4 wheel steering.

5 grand still seems like a lot of money for some green scaffolding and a noisy paint shaker.
And any old diesel will run on jet fuel.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finger Prince posted:

5 grand still seems like a lot of money for some green scaffolding and a noisy paint shaker.

Yeah, noticed how it was labeled on the fuel tank. Also, and please educate me on this if this is normal for military stuff, the brakes require DOT 5.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Lowclock posted:

I'm curious what the ID.R's time would look like if maybe it could work some kind of gearing in there somewhere without losing too much efficiency or gaining too much weight. It definitely hauls rear end but it was up to like 120+ km/h down on the 919 in some of the faster sections. Love those funky spaceship noises though.

I wonder if it was possible to give the front motor higher gearing, maybe with a freewheel for the rear motor for top speed run.

What I find interesting on the videos is the reduced top speed at the latter half of the run. In the first high speed section ID.R reaches 270 KM/h but on the final straight it only manages 249 km/h. Could it only have the power for 250-270 km/h top speed and head wind reduces the top speed? Or maybe the motors and batteries heat up reducing the power output?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

The cummins 2.8 crate is gonna be like 8 grand.

This is a similar engine, bullet proof transmission, transfer case, and diffs.

It's all based on the G-wagen.

It seems lovely ones sell for $35k.

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/ITV-2012-General-Dynamics-M1161-ITV-LSV-4x4-Growler-Georgia/1305652

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

The cummins 2.8 crate is gonna be like 8 grand.

This is a similar engine, bullet proof transmission, transfer case, and diffs.

It's all based on the G-wagen.

It seems lovely ones sell for $35k.

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/ITV-2012-General-Dynamics-M1161-ITV-LSV-4x4-Growler-Georgia/1305652

How's your soldier cosplay coming, ya fuckin burgaboo?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well when you hear say an Audi S1 at full howl .... they do have a point. It's far more of an experience to hear and feel the sound of an engine bellowing, rather than a mildly ear irritating whine.

I'll happily race EV's, the tech really interests me big time but gently caress spectating when EV's are racing

No you see Formula E is insanely cool cuz you get to vote for your favourite driver during the middle of the race xfactor style and whoever wins gets a speed boost, apparently

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

How's your soldier cosplay coming, ya fuckin burgaboo?

I'm more interested in bolting all the gubbins to an AMC eagle.

IF anything, i'm a бляboo

mods please change my name to бляboo

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 8, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fridge corn posted:

No you see Formula E is insanely cool cuz you get to vote for your favourite driver during the middle of the race xfactor style and whoever wins gets a speed boost, apparently

Yeah, and then let's swap out cars.

What a disaster.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

*Gestures at nearly 6:00 Nurburgring run* but...but...but.

Spectators are the worst. Everyone needs a ride in the ring taxi to show what 6:00 actually means.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just load that poo poo up in Forza and have a go at it for a couple evenings.

6 minutes is uninaginable to me.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

um excuse me posted:

*Gestures at nearly 6:00 Nurburgring run* but...but...but.

Spectators are the worst. Everyone needs a ride in the ring taxi to show what 6:00 actually means.

... so about as fast as a 36 year old petrol powered prototype, that could sustain that pace for more than one lap? ;)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or just load that poo poo up in Forza and have a go at it for a couple evenings.

6 minutes is uninaginable to me.

Watching the video reminded me of driving that Red Bull X-whatever fantasy car in Gran Turismo, sound and all.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Saukkis posted:

I wonder if it was possible to give the front motor higher gearing, maybe with a freewheel for the rear motor for top speed run.

What I find interesting on the videos is the reduced top speed at the latter half of the run. In the first high speed section ID.R reaches 270 KM/h but on the final straight it only manages 249 km/h. Could it only have the power for 250-270 km/h top speed and head wind reduces the top speed? Or maybe the motors and batteries heat up reducing the power output?

Dumas told me that cockpit temps were ~70C on the back straight towards the end of the lap. I am positive he said 70 and 17 but VW is supposed to be checking that for me. If I did hear right, then battery temp may well have been a factor.

The car was geared for 250km/h, but DRS added another 20km/h.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

That is like 100% function over form and I have no way to justify it but I want one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

$200k new, for fucks sake. Thanks Obama.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

... so about as fast as a 36 year old petrol powered prototype, that could sustain that pace for more than one lap? ;)

Which will spend more in a shop. There are tradeoffs both ways. 20 minute charge makes the ID-R very attractive as an EV demonstrator.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

that's like firing the gun on an A-10 for 15 seconds.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Powershift posted:

You always want an even number of wheels on the ground.

3 - very bad

not if the car has 4 wheels! :snoop:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thief posted:

not if the car has 4 wheels! :snoop:

https://i.imgur.com/YYqgTXf.mp4

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Shrapnig posted:

quote:

Development for the Growler began in 1999 by American Growler when the Marine Corps sought a vehicle that could be transported in a V-22 Osprey. Though the initial design used elements and parts from the drive train of the M151 which it was intended to replace, the final design featured entirely new parts and systems to allow it to fulfill its mission. This included allowing it to fit within the confines of a V-22's cargo bay. No major components from the M151 design are used in the manufacture of the M1161 or M1163 variant. Initial engineering of the M1161 is most closely related to American Growler's commercial UV 100 DB off-road vehicle. Manufacture of the Growler variants was later transferred to General Dynamics facilities but are otherwise identical.[3][4][5]

lol they made this just to work with the v22, what a stupid clusterfuck of a military

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
are troops require a tiny lovely vehicle in the back of a tilt rotor deathtrap

why do you hate freedom

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If anyone comes across it, I’d love to know what specification resulted in the V-22-capable Jeep requiring four-wheel-steering...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

lol they made this just to work with the v22, what a stupid clusterfuck of a military

oh god, the engines are only going for $2k brand new https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...prm=&pnLink=yes

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

um excuse me posted:

Which will spend more in a shop. There are tradeoffs both ways. 20 minute charge makes the ID-R very attractive as an EV demonstrator.

I just find it funny that of the two tools VW group is using to reset lap records, one was designed for flawless reliability at 24 hours of race pace and pretty much just has some rules mandated limiters removed to go take lap records... and the electric one generally can only muster about one lap or hillclimb run.

Like yes, the ID-R is pretty neat, but it's telling that a major automotive company's best shot is so short of another car that's just something they had laying around.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Its always fentanyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I just find it funny that of the two tools VW group is using to reset lap records, one was designed for flawless reliability at 24 hours of race pace and pretty much just has some rules mandated limiters removed to go take lap records... and the electric one generally can only muster about one lap or hillclimb run.

Like yes, the ID-R is pretty neat, but it's telling that a major automotive company's best shot is so short of another car that's just something they had laying around.

I hope you realize the ID R was built (on a shoestring, btw) specifically to win Pikes Peak. There’s no point carrying more battery than you need, so why would they weigh it down with unnecessary kWh?