Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Don't you worry citizen, detective Toejam is on the case.

iron buns fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Strange how its always in the same place for me.... must be something lowtax does to confound those who don't give him dosh.

Nah, he has a point. We do the same thing the Russia military does by rotating out posters and constantly reorganising the troops to make it seem like we’re a fairly large dead gay comedy forum, when we’re hiding like the three of us doing a whole bunch of boiler-room fraud based on the Star Citizen grey market.

He’s onto the way that somethingawfuldotcom is manipulating public opinion with our deep cover operatives (he’s going to flip a poo poo when we reveal the our mods), and i can only hope that he doesn’t dig into our connection through Cyprus to Skadden, Arps and Flomm.

Tojal, you sound like a crazy person. Give lowtax ten of those loose dollars and join us. We have a lot less nazis than star citizen has, for a start.

Edit: except one, and he’s a backer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does he own a Javelin?

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Marvin could be a cool animal dad but he decided to be a nazi instead, what can you do

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

A little bit! Yachts seem like one of the things he has an enormous fetish for. The Constellation Phoenix, as "Luxury" art assets go, isn't bad. Granting in advance that none of this is actually functional, the interior at least looks coherent and a bit like what you would expect an executive Learjet or something to look like inside. If it were free in a game like Elite Dangerous I'd say it was a well executed concept. But of course it's sold in Star Citizen at a crazy markup, as though the "Luxury" actually meant something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvzfyTacCw&t=354s

But then you get to the 600i and the 890j and it's like they just forgot what the ship is supposed to be. These things cost two or three times the price of the Phoenix and they look like piss-ugly FPS levels inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RInkbfjS0MQ&t=63s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9EYolIbRk

2011. Indestructible. Worked.

Free.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Yes, and please both of you hold your breath until that happens.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

when the gently caress did SA become a safe space? was it when we decided to ban pedophiles and reddit didn't?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Asmodai_00 posted:

when the gently caress did SA become a safe space? was it when we decided to ban pedophiles and reddit didn't?

god drat pedophile-banning safe-space having goons!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cymelion's scenario could easily happen, except it would be long time critical backers giving up on the game and being replaced with shills. The "game" still won't be good, no matter what.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean, even if the haters decided to go incognito and make new accounts, wouldn't that be good for the game? That said, if goons ever started playing the game en masse I can't see a lot of name changes. The tears that would come from getting ganked by the same guys the victim used to call haters and FUDsters and poo poo is too powerful to be ignored.

Luckily Star Citizen will never be good, so we probably won't have to find out.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, even if the haters decided to go incognito and make new accounts, wouldn't that be good for the game? That said, if goons ever started playing the game en masse I can't see a lot of name changes. The tears that would come from getting ganked by the same guys the victim used to call haters and FUDsters and poo poo is too powerful to be ignored.

Luckily Star Citizen will never be good, so we probably won't have to find out.

A very good point, actually.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Asmodai_00 posted:

It's certainly a safe space in the sense that I haven't received unwanted dickpics from the dick wolf yet

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The defenders on reddit are now the last left, the pure, undiluted knuckle heads.
I like them because they do all the hard work of making their cult look insane all by themselves with no prompting.
I also like to remind myself that development started in 2011, the game is half a decade late, doesn't work, has no gameplay and cost over a quarter of a billion dollars.
This is my recap on the amazing project CI have given us, like comedy mana from heaven, every aspect of it is so ridiculously idiotic you just have to giggle, from the joyless baboons like Twerk and Boredgamer making hour long videos no one cares about, to the insane ramblings of joe loving blober, always on duty to defend the honour of a corporation that gives not a solitary poo poo about him, it's just brilliant from any angle you care to look at it from.
Massive overscaled tanks that are so comically huge they are useless, trains that float above the tracks no clipping through all in their path, travel times measured in dozens of minutes in a game with less than 2 star systems, Sandi going psycho and strangling people, Chirs stood on a yacht in the biggest 'gently caress you got mine' pose there is, Ben stalking newsreaders, their engine creator suing them, them selling huge chunks of the business right from under backers noses, stock images stolen with abandon, it's just all loving brilliant.
The backdrop of a gaggle of grade A twats defending it all the way just makes it funnier and funnier.
It's a dead project, I loving still love u str ctzn

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

Yes, and please both of you hold your breath until that happens.

Seriously.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's certainly a safe space in the sense that I haven't received unwanted dickpics from the dick wolf yet

Have you outed yourself on spectrum as the teen of a single mom just trying to make her way in the world. No father figure and you’re drawn to older men because they make sense, you know? They’re not like the boys at school, I mean, you love gaming, but on a more serious level.

I guarantee an avalanche of unwanted penis.

An avalanche.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

:lol: at all of this

The Ortwin-esque language, the explicit 'you are still using Cry'.

The titanic quibbling over commas...

(Seriously, Derek, we know you're still reading. It's a punctuation argument man. Get in there!)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

Have you outed yourself on spectrum as the teen of a single mom just trying to make her way in the world. No father figure and you’re drawn to older men because they make sense, you know? They’re not like the boys at school, I mean, you love gaming, but on a more serious level.

An avalanche.

But your one wish before you go off to modeling school in California is that you just had an Idris to call your own.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

But your one wish before you go off to modeling school in California is that you just had an Idris to call your own.

And a new headset, because mine is always broken when you want to chat. Haha. But show me how to shoot again in chat.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Pixelate posted:

(Seriously, Derek, we know you're still reading. It's a punctuation argument man. Get in there!)

From what I gather, one of Crytek's arguments is that Lumberyard contains Cryengine, therefore CIG claiming to have "removed" all CryEngine code simply cannot be true?

I know there's a bunch of other points further on but is the above a reasonable summary of their claim?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

The defenders on reddit are now the last left, the pure, undiluted knuckle heads.
I like them because they do all the hard work of making their cult look insane all by themselves with no prompting.
I also like to remind myself that development started in 2011, the game is half a decade late, doesn't work, has no gameplay and cost over a quarter of a billion dollars.
This is my recap on the amazing project CI have given us, like comedy mana from heaven, every aspect of it is so ridiculously idiotic you just have to giggle, from the joyless baboons like Twerk and Boredgamer making hour long videos no one cares about, to the insane ramblings of joe loving blober, always on duty to defend the honour of a corporation that gives not a solitary poo poo about him, it's just brilliant from any angle you care to look at it from.
Massive overscaled tanks that are so comically huge they are useless, trains that float above the tracks no clipping through all in their path, travel times measured in dozens of minutes in a game with less than 2 star systems, Sandi going psycho and strangling people, Chirs stood on a yacht in the biggest 'gently caress you got mine' pose there is, Ben stalking newsreaders, their engine creator suing them, them selling huge chunks of the business right from under backers noses, stock images stolen with abandon, it's just all loving brilliant.
The backdrop of a gaggle of grade A twats defending it all the way just makes it funnier and funnier.

And there's many years of this still to come :laffo:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

reverend crabhands posted:

From what I gather, one of Crytek's arguments is that Lumberyard contains Cryengine, therefore CIG claiming to have "removed" all CryEngine code simply cannot be true?

I know there's a bunch of other points further on but is the above a reasonable summary of their claim?

What (I would expect) they're going to go for is that CIG having access to Cry through the GLA has enriched CIG even if they later have access to it through Lumberyard, and short of starting over from scratch, that enrichment stands and so them abandoning the provision in the GLA isn't fair (And CIG has been enriched but Cry didn't gain what they intended).

Also they're quibbling over the words that Orwin used but ha.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hav posted:

We have a lot less nazis than star citizen has, for a start.

Edit: except one, and he’s a backer.

FUDen Raus!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

An avalanche.

Make sure to let them know your mom is BettyBigTits for extra help.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peter gabriel posted:

They are still making millions per month though.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Pixelate posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/16/oxford-comma-helps-drivers-win-dispute-about-overtime-pay

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

:wth:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ANAL, but that seems to be it, yeah. This bit buried further on lays it out:

No idea if that holds any merit. Seems wobbly. But I guess it is an odd scenario, and a twist on Skadden's approach ultimately. Possibly the judge will need to lay out some boundaries for that / decide whether it warrants discovery to prove etc?

The other big bit is whether developing a stand alone SQ42 breaks the GLA, or just launching one. Involves commas.

The rest of it seems to be arguments against the bond ("We're doing great, we got code out of them, ex-Cry guys will confirm that the Cry promo helped the crowdfunding success, CIG should quail" etc).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

1 point for Cry.

But labour laws in Turkey are terrible. So -200 there.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

IANAL but I think that is not quite what that is. I suspect Crytek is referring to the fact CIG has physically used CryEngine code libraries to create their games. Not Lumberyard ones. Even if some of the code happens to be the same CIG has not actually used Lumberyard libraries (at least until the switch). For most of the existing code (especially anything coded before the switch) they are still carrying the one their devs physically created from CryEngine.

I presume what Crytek is implying is that for CIG to have really switched they would have required to physically replace those code libraries from CryEngine ones to Lumberyard ones (even if they happen to be identical or close to identical in some cases). Possibly line by line. Which ostensibly has not happened.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 8, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are two points here:

1. Short of a total rewrite of the engine, necessarily there must be Crytek original code as it is an essential and integral part of Lumberyard.

2. Crytek is arguing that the GLA still applies, and must still apply so long as there exists original Crytek code in the games. Notwithstanding the existence of the Lumberyard license, the latter agreement does not supercede or abrogate the earlier one made directly with Crytek.

There's a third point, implicit, in that should there be a proper termination clause in the original contract, CIG contravened it and is not relieved of its obligations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agony Aunt posted:

They are still making millions per month though.

And as always with CI the comedy yin to that yang is they are spending more per month :laugh:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEBd0qgz6g

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

IANAL but I think that is not quite what that is. I suspect Crytek is referring to the fact CIG has physically used CryEngine code libraries to create their games. Not Lumberyard ones. Even if some of the code happens to be the same CIG has not actually used Lumberyard libraries (at least until the switch). For most of the existing code (especially anything coded before the switch) they are still carrying the one their devs physically created from CryEngine.

Yea on rereading I feel that may be right, which is seems a wee bit more solid than my previous interpretation. IANAL.

I think it's essentially CIG built a bunch of stuff using CryEngine, then did the switch, and a big chunk of that stuff built with CE was not replaced or redone, and possibly still hasn't been. Ergo CryEngine code was still in used after the switch?

Personally I find this to be a compelling argument, at least it's something that seems reasonble given at the time CIG was all over Twitter etc.. going on about how quick and easy the switch was.

Sorry I know people hate all this IANAL talk, but it's more interesting that that AI story generator we had for 10 pages.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 8, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sarsapariller posted:

In case anyone was wondering about actual travel times:

4 minutes is basically the fastest possible.

Oh man, let's look here.

The 325a is a interdictor, or a ship that would be expected to fly reasonably fast.

Now, what's interdiction you ask? Well, let's ask the dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/interdict posted:

1 : to lay under or prohibit by an interdict
2 : to forbid in a usually formal or authoritative manner
3a : to destroy, damage, or cut off (something, such as an enemy line of supply) by firepower to stop or hamper an enemy
b : intercept sense 1a* // interdict drug smugglers

* "to stop, seize, or interrupt in progress or course or before arrival"

So basically, the anti-cargo, whether legal or illicit goods, and area of denial roles. It completely fails the first one by virtue of EVERY SHIP THAT COULD BE USED FOR HAUILNG BEING FASTER. Smuggling isn't even properly implemented either, for that matter. Area of denial? LOL WHAT'S THAT.

Now, let's look at SC's two major contemporaries: Eve and Elite: Dangerous.

Interdiction in Eve is filled by light interdiction destroyers and heavy interdictor cruisers, the former referred to as interdictors (or 'dictor) and the latter as HICs. Dictors have the ability to deny other ships, with a handful of exceptions, the ability to engage FtL transit (aka warp). They do this by dropping probes that create a sphere, or a bubble. Within this bubble you can not warp. After a couple minutes the probe runs out of power and the bubble vanishes. Dictors tend to be relatively quick ships, given their smaller size, in both warp speed and sub-light speed. If needed, you can set them up to be super fast for quick dropping of the bubbles. HICs, on the other hand, are the probe themselves. They can run the bubble as long as they have the power to do so. However, there's a couple drawbacks to this, not to mention they can not be remotely repaired, but that's beyond this comparison. They can also run scripts for the purpose of "focusing" the bubble into a "beam" (just go with me here), preventing the target from warping, no matter how many layers of immunity they have. So they serve a very good area of denial role and (to a much lessor extent) anti-cargo roles, usually in high sec wars.

Elite's is mostly anti-cargo, slightly area of denial. Interdiction in Elite is able to be done by all ships, though I don't see why you'd want to with some of them. That being said, it's an optional module that will launch a tether to the opposing ship, and once it is connected long enough, it will shut down the opposing ship's FtL drives. Both ships will drop out of FtL and fighting and/or scanning can follow.

SC has none of these mechanics.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:perfect:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hav posted:

An avalanche.

Not quite.

When guild wars 1 came out, my buddy and I would play it together. We had user names like cutegrl1992 and hung out in global chat. We'd chirp about how we were just two young girls who just couldn't figure out this game because computers are hard. Took us about 30 minutes to get all the gold and bling you could possibly trade between accounts.

Wondering if you can still do that in SC, whether it's ethical, and whether I can be bothered to feel dirty enough for that.