Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timeskipper, a metroidvania drawing heavy inspiration from symphony of the night, just released on Switch. But is it a game I'll want to spend my time with, or would it be best to skip this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You belong in prison

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Timeskipper, a metroidvania drawing heavy inspiration from symphony of the night, just released on Switch. But is it a game I'll want to spend my time with, or would it be best to skip this one?

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything about it on YouTube, not even a trailer from the devs.

[Edit: Wait I can't find it on the eShop either, did I get wooshed]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's actually called Timespinner.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't find anything about it on YouTube, not even a trailer from the devs.

Timespinner, not skipper

It's solid. It's no Hollow Knight but it's fun.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I remember watching somebody play an early demo build of that game a while back and it looked fun.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

asecondduck posted:

[Edit: Wait I can't find it on the eShop either, did I get wooshed]

Andrast posted:

Timespinner, not skipper

It's solid. It's no Hollow Knight but it's fun.

Jesus Christ. Can we permaban the OP already?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But is this a great new spin on the metroidvania format, or will it be a waste of time?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give it a spin, only time will tell whether it's worth skipping.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Nintendo invitational starts in two hours. Is the Mario Maker stuff first? That's the only part I really care about watching.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Haha, I knew it! Maybe it will sell more than 101 copies this time

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is Slay the Spire similar to the PvE mine mode ok Hearthstone? That was great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't expect a Smash reveal at the tournament since that hasn't been the case in past years, but I REALLY hope they show off a second extra game style for Mario Maker 2. Still really hoping for Yoshi's Island.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Haha, I knew it! Maybe it will sell more than 101 copies this time

So what sort of game is it and why should we get it? The ports I'm holding out for are Pikmin and Metroid. And any Zeldas naturally.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got so tired of waiting for a Xenoblade X port (that's never coming) that I just went and bought a used Wii U just to play it, so Wonderful 101 is the last Wii U port I want with an improved Switch release.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The extra style for SMM2 is probably Odyssey or something equally "different" from the regular 4 modes and it won't be revealed anytime soon, certainly not before the game is released. It'll likely be a late year DLC thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

American McGay posted:

The extra style for SMM2 is probably Odyssey or something equally "different" from the regular 4 modes and it won't be revealed anytime soon, certainly not before the game is released. It'll likely be a late year DLC thing.

I mean I certainty wouldn't complain if it was Odyssey. Yoshi's Island is still my number 1 though

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It'll be a Mario land skin: flowers give you super balls instead of fire balls, turtle shells explode, and you can implement side scrolling shooter stages

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pakistani politics posted:

With Mario maker 2 and that new Castlevania knockoff this month, it's hard to justify $60 for the physical of Lapis Labyrinth. I don't need an art book and I don't even have a CD player. How often does NIS do a second dip with a non-collecters edition?

They had non-collector physical copies of Labyrinth of Refrain at Gamestop (not sure if Gamestop footed the bill for that one or not, but often they have physical exclusives). But I kind of regret not getting the collector's edition. The soundtrack was sublime, and completely impossible to find on the internet.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dugong posted:

Is Slay the Spire similar to the PvE mine mode ok Hearthstone? That was great.
Kinda in the general sense but mostly not in the details -- enemies are like groups of NPCs with a static selection of attacks and abilities, they don't play cards against you; your deck is assembled by gaining cards after battles and from events as you traverse the map; similarly you obtain non-card items called relics that provide passive good/bad/trade-off effects that hugely influence your play, and potions, which you activate in the course of battle for temporary effects.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what sort of game is it and why should we get it? The ports I'm holding out for are Pikmin and Metroid. And any Zeldas naturally.

It's a character action game along the lines of Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising but with a really goofy and charming plot. It's a really solid and endearing action game but it sold really poorly because it was on the Wii U and it wasn't advertised well.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks to those who advised me a while back about Yoshi's Crafted World. I did buy it for my son's 5th birthday and he absolutely loves it; also it's great for me to be able to dip in and out and play with him sometimes. :3:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kamiya's masterpiece. It's the inversion if character action games: where as before crowd control meant controlling the mobs you fight, it now means controlling your character. It takes systems from devil may cry, Viewtiful Joe, okami and Bayonetta. The game is a love letter to both video games and super sentai, with the touch mechanics making you really feel the callouts when you pull off crazy moves. It has a ton of content and one of the best endings in video games. You must play it if you consider yourself an action fan.

Improbable Lobster posted:

it wasn't advertised well.
This isn't true since the game got a dedicated 30 minute direct and a demo. The fact is the game looks and plays like no other and that makes it a hard sell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Policenaut posted:

I got so tired of waiting for a Xenoblade X port (that's never coming) that I just went and bought a used Wii U just to play it, so Wonderful 101 is the last Wii U port I want with an improved Switch release.

I hope you also got/already played Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE because that's a legit goddamn amazing game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Wonderful 101 is probably one of the funniest games I've played along with being a fun, deep character(s) action game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I owned a Wii U that I bought exclusively for Bayonetta 2 and W101 never did a good job in its ads showing off what made it so great, especially to me, 100% their target demographic.

A switch port owns bones!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the Pinball FX3 recommendation earlier. The free Williams table (fish tales?) just as hard as the F-14 Tomcat table at work, so now I know I just suck at pinball :v:

It's not you, the ball physics are rear end and not even remotely true to life compared to The Pinball Arcade ( :rip: ).
Not saying it isn't still fun, mind you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I enjoyed Timespinner a lot more than Hollow Knight fwiw.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Graphics look infinitely better than the dark flash game shitshow that is Hollow Knight. I'm not interested in discussing this any further so please don't bother replying to this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Graphics look infinitely better than the dark flash game shitshow that is Hollow Knight. I'm not interested in discussing this any further so please don't bother replying to this.

ok I wont

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Yoku's is the best metroidvania on switch currently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mister Facetious posted:

It's not you, the ball physics are rear end and not even remotely true to life compared to The Pinball Arcade ( :rip: ).
Not saying it isn't still fun, mind you.

I thought I saw a Pinball Arcade on the eshop yesterday when I was looking. There anything else on Switch with better physics?

I might try that Yoku's too of course, but I'm still thinking more traditionally :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Yoku's is the best metroidvania on switch currently.

Yoku was fun but I found traversal to be really cumbersome in the lategame when you are going around getting stuff you missed

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

Kamiya's masterpiece. It's the inversion if character action games: where as before crowd control meant controlling the mobs you fight, it now means controlling your character. It takes systems from devil may cry, Viewtiful Joe, okami and Bayonetta. The game is a love letter to both video games and super sentai, with the touch mechanics making you really feel the callouts when you pull off crazy moves. It has a ton of content and one of the best endings in video games. You must play it if you consider yourself an action fan.

Oh... It sounds chock full of style but that sort of action game isn't really my thing. The little I had seen (seconds of gameplay) reminded me of Pikmin where instead of lil beasties you control an army of superheroes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just watched Timespinners reviews on YouTube and I think I can safely say “I hate pixel art games and really don’t think they look good ever” so I’ll just stick with Hollow Knight (prettiest ‘vania) and wait for Bloodstained.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched Timespinners reviews on YouTube and I think I can safely say “I hate pixel art games and really don’t think they look good ever” so I’ll just stick with Hollow Knight (prettiest ‘vania) and wait for Bloodstained.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I've found the bizarro version of me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Timespinner is very much in the style of IGA's Castlevania games, and it's done well. If you find yourself thinking "Man, I just can't get enough of those!" and you don't want to wait for Bloodstained, it's worth picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ciaphas posted:

I thought I saw a Pinball Arcade on the eshop yesterday when I was looking. There anything else on Switch with better physics?

I might try that Yoku's too of course, but I'm still thinking more traditionally :v:

The Pinball Arcade has the best physics in terms of recreating how a ball is supposed to act on a table surface, but they lost the Williams/Bally/Midway license last year, so all they have now is Gottlieb and Stern, whom they have an official partnership with.

If you want Medieval Madness, you have to use Pinball FX3. You'll have to relearn how the tables work, but at least their graphics engine is nice, and their bespoke tables have some interesting effects since they're completely made up digitally.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 8, 2019