Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ScrubLeague posted:

alcohol, tobacco, processed and fast foods are going to be winning investments for the next 5 years or so

And that's why I'm in the weed industry.

Also employee discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pick posted:

Soliciting the sale of insurance products is differently licensed than the sale of investment products. a fixed annuity is legally an insurance product, whereas a variable annuity is legally an investment. a fixed annuity is essentially a pension you bought for yourself.

have you considered a presidential platform of declaring war on, say, Apple, and mobilizing the armed forces to seize their funds and assets

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

How is this not from the onion

how is this not against laws against company scrip

how is anything

you can still legally pay in scrip but you have to provide a theoretical way to exchange scrip for cash

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Powershift posted:

how is anything

*peter griffin voice* laws don't matter, lois. frickin' sweeet

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I bought in a non-trendy neighborhood. I'm a ten minute ride on light rail from downtown. My total property taxes are $810 a year because my house is underassessed. I paid $120K for an 1800 square foot house - no garage or driveway but that's fine, we don't drive anywhere anyway.

We have multiple grocery stores within walking distance.

I wonder what most of America would pay for what I outlined.

Lol re: Pittsburgh housing chat, as I've been looking at that market for awhile now as a potentially better-climate-change location than north carolina.

Some of the options there seem like comically good deals compared to most other housing markets.

Weirdly tho, a large portion of the listings dont include sq ft #s for some reason.

Apr 7, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Lol re: Pittsburgh housing chat, as I've been looking at that market for awhile now as a potentially better-climate-change location than north carolina.

Some of the options there seem like comically good deals compared to most other housing markets.

Weirdly tho, a large portion of the listings dont include sq ft #s for some reason.

It's a county law for some reason, go to http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Default.aspx and plug the address in

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

ScrubLeague posted:

alcohol, tobacco, processed and fast foods are going to be winning investments for the next 5 years or so

The price of processed and fast food companies are already heavily inflated because "common sense" is that they are safe, good retirement stocks so boomers bid them up. The problem is that they need to have brand loyalty, and broke people don't give a poo poo about buying brand names that have been squeezing quality and shrinking package sizes for years.

Big alcohol and tobacco companies are in big trouble as well unless they start buying cannabis, wine brands, liquor, microbreweries, etc. Guess what, the ones that do get an irrational burst in the market.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's a county law for some reason, go to http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Default.aspx and plug the address in

this is everywhere, it's public records, search for <state> real property search

Apr 7, 2003

I mean that there’s a county level law prohibiting listing square footage on a listing for some reason.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Powershift posted:

how is anything

Freedom of contracts, bucko! If you want stuff like company scrip to be illegal, maybe you should get the legislature to make it so :yum:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GEMorris posted:

Pittsburgh housing chat

Doomsday Economics: can I count a lone toilet in the middle of an unfinished basement as an extra half bath

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone lend me a few zuccs? I missed the Musk Line this morning and need to take the Musk Tunnel to the cyber mines. Brought to you by Taco Bell Presents: The Number.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Can someone lend me a few zuccs? I missed the Musk Line this morning and need to take the Musk Tunnel to the cyber mines. Brought to you by Taco Bell Presents: The Number.

what's your wechat ID

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Average total comp for facebook peeps is a quarter million. Still hard to afford a mortgage, tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Average total comp for facebook peeps is a quarter million. Still hard to afford a mortgage, tho

They Bay Area sucks, glad I escaped it since it only seems to be getting only worse and more FYGM over time

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Low Prices, friends

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Goon Danton posted:

Doomsday Economics: can I count a lone toilet in the middle of an unfinished basement as an extra half bath

When I was a security guard for college student apartments under construction, I'd've loving welcomed that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

They're called Pittsburgh Bathrooms and they're ubiquitous here, for reasons I'm not entirely clear on but almost definitely relate to coal mining somehow

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Powershift posted:

how is anything

The fact that crypto has about 0 utility as currency and is basically just for investment may wind up saving them here, "it's like being paid in stock."

Apr 7, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

They're called Pittsburgh Bathrooms and they're ubiquitous here, for reasons I'm not entirely clear on but almost definitely relate to coal mining somehow

I don’t have a Pittsburgh toilet, but I do have a shower head between the floor beams down in the basement.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

They Bay Area sucks, glad I escaped it since it only seems to be getting only worse and more FYGM over time

Ehhhh..... I wouldn't say more FYGM. the bays problems are entrenched baby bombers in prop 13 housing, older less rich boombers in 1970s rent control (some mix with gen-x as well) and poo poo all controlling the policies to prevent new housing to maintain their QoL because ~muh traffic~. most younger crowd does want cheaper housing but are not politically involved nor part of any voting bloc to turn things around anytime soon. money still drives politics.

More things are being built than they were 10 years ago, but still a major shortage bc baby bombers are bad people. This is also ontop of housing having been turned into a speculative investment commodity with the low-mid end housing all hoovered up by banks/REITs and poo poo. This problem isn't particularly unique to the bay because most major metro cities, portland, seattle, denver, boston, nyc, atlanta, philly, pittsburgh, nc triangle, and many other areas are undergoing the same thing with major rising prices as banks and poo poo hoover up the middle to lower end of the market, more tech-adjacent people making $$ trying to compete in that sphere as well, all leads to driving even up all but the highest end to $$$ in the last 5+ years.

it still sucks, and some parts are just overgrown strip-mall white-flight suburbs like most of the penisula/sv that wouldn't be worth living even if it was 1/2th the cost it is right now. there are some nicer parts where you can walk to 3 differen grocery stores, walk to bars, bike to the train station safely, and have some community to them, even many of the places mentioned above, but they're all undergoing $$$$ transformation of rising and limited housing strangled by decades of boomberism. I was doing work out in central valley all this week and while there some nice things about it like Lodi was actually kinda nice, it's just too loving hot and all you can do 180 days out of the year is hide inside your AC'd tract-house carved out in some recently sold-n-razed farmland, hop in your 3000 lb plastic/steel bubble of more AC to head to an AC office/take the family to an AC restaurant in the evening, and hop back home to the AC bubble. poo poo is miserable and no slice of 'affordable americana dream heaven' is worth that price.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ChipNDip posted:

Big alcohol and tobacco companies are in big trouble as well unless they start buying cannabis, wine brands, liquor, microbreweries, etc. Guess what, the ones that do get an irrational burst in the market.

Altria (Marlboros' owner) already bought up a large canadian marijuana firm, and Juul.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Low Prices, friends

May sales smile upon you, my friend

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

number question: how the gently caress did it break 26000

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Victory Position posted:

Things were bad, therefore things will be good. Low prices friend.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Victory Position posted:

Republican president, Fed being used as a political tool, stock market totally detatched from the real economy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Victory Position posted:

You might want to read the last few pages of this thread, the number goes up over time. Sometimes, the number drops below 25K on like Wednesday to end the week above 26K.

e: yes I can totally explain it. No I will not do so at this or any other time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1137464817738952704

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How dare people drink caffeinated beverages.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you live like an ascetic monk, work multiple jobs, and choose not to have children, your own home, or medical emergencies, then you too can be fabulously wealthy by 75.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mantis42 posted:

If you live like an ascetic monk, work multiple jobs, and choose not to have children, your own home, or medical emergencies, then you too can be fabulously wealthy by 75.

*assuming 12% annualized rate of return

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
money is meant for investing, not spending on daily life

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Altria (Marlboros' owner) already bought up a large canadian marijuana firm, and Juul.

Beer companies also bought large stakes in canadian weed bubble stocks.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if i don't buy mixed coffee drinks what will happen to starbucks' number?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

what the hell else are the hyperwealthy gonna do with the all of the money that keeps spraying out of the money hose

bonds aren't paying poo poo, you gotta put it in stocks, anyway who cares what happens to it, it's not like they need it or have any other use for it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Modest Mao posted:

money is meant for investing, not spending on daily life

lol

*consumption plummets and the economy dies*

what the!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buys Avocado toast and starbucks coffee after watching the video.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
its kind of impressively amazing how disconnected from actual realities of living these people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

if i don't buy mixed coffee drinks what will happen to starbucks' number?

Rex-Goliath posted:

*consumption plummets and the economy dies*

what the!

they figured out a fix for that: the government taxes you and then gives the money to the businesses