Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, this is clearly the correct answer. Jon was her mate, why would Jon kill her?

The dragons being dumb animals may also explain why unmanned dragons get one-shotted, while a ridden dragon can dodge all day long. These are apex predators who didn't have an adult dragon show them how to dragon. Nothing has ever hurt them, so they fly around completely oblivious to danger. As a teenager Dany is also pretty oblivious and never bothered with any kind of combat drills for the dragons, but she is capable of recognising some types of danger the dragons aren't smart enough to put together, like ballistas.

This is pretty hilarious logic to defend a completely absurd "i shot a dragon in teh loving air hundreds of feet away around a mountain from a moving boat scene"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

This is pretty hilarious logic to defend a completely absurd "i shot a dragon in teh loving air hundreds of feet away around a mountain from a moving boat scene"

this scene could have been plausible if all of the ships fired a huge volley and a couple of them hit, but there was no fx budget left after they edited missandei onto a wall

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The more I rewatch the early episodes, the more I'm convinced that the only good ending is Renly becoming king. The Night King eventually shows up and is like, drat, I guess some people ARE just cool and good, looks like I don't need to wipe out human life after all

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

poverty goat posted:

this scene could have been plausible if all of the ships fired a huge volley and a couple of them hit, but there was no fx budget left after they edited missandei onto a wall

It just kind of makes me hate the concept of dragons in any sort of "gritty" or "realistic" fantasy. They're stupid deux ex machina monsters and virtually invulnerable the way they are depicted. So it seems like it'll always feel stupid when they die.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dragons are just warmachines, biological nukes. They don't show it in the show but even their poop burns and kills people.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Dragons are just warmachines, biological nukes. They don't show it in the show but even their poop burns and kills people.

Well as story elements nukes are pretty loving stupid. I mean once you actually use them. The threat of them etc.. is neato, and I could totally see a story with a dragon gap and threat of dragon and stuff being cool. But ...

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Captain Hygiene posted:

That shot was the one thing in the series that made me give an audible reaction - not Ned's execution, not the Red Wedding, that shot. Unfortunately the reaction was a snort of laughter and "oh my God, really?"

My friend and his girlfriend we're big fans of the show and I started making GBS threads on it but we were playing OverWatch one night. The next day when I was hanging out of this house they put the series finale on and I agreed to shut up and let them enjoy it. But even I couldn't keep my laughter down when this poo poo happened.

After the last scene his girlfriend said "wow that was so boring"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

There is just no defending the logic of the throne burning scene. There is no context in the story to explain it, it simply happens.

Jon should have at least ran and hid behind the throne.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The problem is they always give dragons super thick scales and skin so you can't do poo poo about them with arrows or crossbows. They'd still be terrifying monsters if they had slightly thinner scales but an army of archers would be able to take one out

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zzulu posted:

The problem is they always give dragons super thick scales and skin so you can't do poo poo about them with arrows or crossbows. They'd still be terrifying monsters if they had slightly thinner scales but an army of archers would be able to take one out

They've just got thin membranes on their wings tho. I guess no one shoots the wings?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

They've just got thin membranes on their wings tho. I guess no one shoots the wings?

And they breathe fire for ye olde reasons, being... I mean it's a huge flying armored thing with massive claws and a huge presumably powerful jaw. Why would they breathe fire?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jon snow probably just has a really weird dick irl and thats why they didnt follow through with either of the scenes they set up to show that he was immune to dragon fire

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

THIS.

Sailing ships use chainshot to wreck the gently caress out of enemy sails and rigging so they can’t get away or maneuver.

Urine/Cersi could have easily loaded up with archers and just did a spray and pray. The downside I guess is range since ye olde dragon can stay out of range and just poo poo/rain fire from above. The ballista was really the only thing that made sense to use, despite its ultra slow aiming, reloading (except at sea), and completely inept gunnery crews (except at sea).

If they had cannons, then grapeshot would have totally hosed ye olde dragon. But gunpowder is what ended medieval combat, so yeah. They could have made the ballista into a whaling harpoon with a line attached to try and ensnare and drag it to the ground maybe, still the issue of the writers being garbage-tier.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 8, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Slayerjerman posted:

But gunpowder is what ended medieval combat, so yeah.

this is just totally false. it was metallurgy and barrel design that did that, and even then you have cavalry charges and pikes and whatnot as integral parts of combat until the invention of machine guns and poo poo

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

The more I rewatch the early episodes, the more I'm convinced that the only good ending is Renly becoming king. The Night King eventually shows up and is like, drat, I guess some people ARE just cool and good, looks like I don't need to wipe out human life after all

Night King sees Margaery, mutters "bodacious", takes a picture and marches back north

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Night King sees Margaery, mutters "bodacious", takes a picture and marches back north

:hmmyes:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Senor Dog posted:

boy that's a messy desk

really isnt that bad just looks busy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That desk isn't too bad

For a goon. I've seen those picture threads...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zzulu posted:

Why would even a dog assume the chair off in the distance killed his mom

The dragon killed the chair because the writers are morons

Oh that's definitely the real truth, I'm just making fun

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Grrm is on ms dos 6.2

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
why do people still think Jon was immune to fire when it was very obviously a special Daenerys only thing and one of the reasons she became the mother of dragons

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh that's definitely the real truth, I'm just making fun

It would have been soooo easy to add a short scene of Bran warging into the dragon and melting the throne. He could say something to Sansa like "it was hard to get into that dragon from so far away but I've finally done it...oh no! The whole city is burnt! And Dany's been stabbed! I must end this madness!" and then roasts the throne and goes "this poor mad girl, I will take her to rest in the Dothraki grasslands".

But I mean, we needed to have that whole Arya arc, too few precious minutes in the final few episodes.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
I'm still mad about the fact we never got one single line of dialog from the Night King. Nothing. Zip. Not even a chuckle. Nothing about his motivation or back story, not even a cool quip. Just a decade of menacingly staring into the distance.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

His Purple Majesty posted:

I'm still mad about the fact we never got one single line of dialog from the Night King. Nothing. Zip. Not even a chuckle. Nothing about his motivation or back story, not even a cool quip. Just a decade of menacingly staring into the distance.

He should have had cold related puns like Mr Freeze

"Ice to meet you Khaleesi! I've certainly gotten a frosty reception from your dragon!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

"Ice to meet you Khaleesi! I've certainly gotten a frosty reception from your dragon!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TheWeepingHorse posted:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

Ralph Crammed In posted:

in the pilot the white walkers were supposed to talk, a special language was even partially made for them, but D&D cut that so the white walkers could be more mysterious

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
The dragon, which is probably smarter than most animals, ended up with a vague awareness that this iron throne was what they had come all this way for, and it had in an abstract way gotten Dani killed. Or it was just the most visible object in its range that wasn’t Jon that it could destroy like a punching bag. Or maybe it’s just a funny tv show and y’all can lighten the gently caress up about whether it’s “realistic” that a goddamn fire breathing dragon would burn a throne made of swords in its grief

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Sometimes as a writer you can get away with not bothering to come up with fully fleshed out exposition because the reader can fill in the blanks themselves. But you have to be an actual writer and make up for it elsewhere with relevant detail and world building so the reader's own vague backstory for the unwritten/undeveloped can organically fit into the larger world and not go "well the whitewalkers kinda forgot they had a culture unto themselves."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

IT'S A SERIOUS AND REALISTIC SHOW!!!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

lol

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
The night king totally has frosted tips. He's so 90s

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Sometimes as a writer you can get away with not bothering to come up with fully fleshed out exposition because the reader can fill in the blanks themselves. But you have to be an actual writer and make up for it elsewhere with relevant detail and world building so the reader's own vague backstory for the unwritten/undeveloped can organically fit into the larger world and not go "well the whitewalkers kinda forgot they had a culture unto themselves."

Having structure is for 8th grade

Real writers just keep writing stream of consciousness poo poo until they get bored.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

but enough about George R.R. Martin,

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Real writers make the show's 'clever' character say what great writers the writers of the show are.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
i really liked that the white walkers, who have been in the series since episode one, weren't really a problem, just an annoyance

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If the night king can be killed by a stab anywhere on his body I feel like maybe he shoulda worn armor instead of a goth-leather-dress thing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LethalGeek posted:

There is just no defending the logic of the throne burning scene. There is no context in the story to explain it, it simply happens.

it's SYMBOLISM you loving PLEBEIANS

why can't you understand my ARTISTIC VISION

pseudanonymous posted:

It just kind of makes me hate the concept of dragons in any sort of "gritty" or "realistic" fantasy. They're stupid deux ex machina monsters and virtually invulnerable the way they are depicted. So it seems like it'll always feel stupid when they die.

this is why i just write dragons as mundane and common and modernized, like slighty taller and slightly lazier humans

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

How much budget does it take to copy paste arrow.blender couple times into a scene

I mean, we are not talking about showing each individual ballista firing a bolt, just show Euron ordering a volley and then show a barrage of bolts hitting the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

If the night king can be killed by a stab anywhere on his body I feel like maybe he shoulda worn armor instead of a goth-leather-dress thing

but then how would, fan favorite, Arya Stark, kill him?