Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh yeah, would it be better to play original sin 1 first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

what's funny about Xillia is that the Milla thing seems entirely accidental. She was originally going to be emotionless and have to learn emotion from Jude until the female staff complained that that was stupid and they just wanted a cool slightly older female lead who was confident. And then everyone loved the Milla we actually got, so what I'm saying is they should have promoted those women.

I hope the staff also said "we did that same poo poo with Hearts!"

Nemo2342 posted:

If a Kickstarter can include the name of every person who dropped $10 on a preorder, then they can find space for all the people who actually worked on the game.

For Thimbleweed Park one of the rewards was a phone book where you could record a personalized message so there's an item in-game with like 500 names and recorded voices it's pretty cool.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 8, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

OS1 is a good game but it has much worse writing than OS2 and only really amounts to a few references and cameos. just do whatever you feel

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Endorph posted:

what's funny about Xillia is that the Milla thing seems entirely accidental. She was originally going to be emotionless and have to learn emotion from Jude until the female staff complained that that was stupid and they just wanted a cool slightly older female lead who was confident. And then everyone loved the Milla we actually got, so what I'm saying is they should have promoted those women.

i'm mad i let myself be bullied into playing jude cause people told me you'll miss out on a shitload of plot on the milla route

cause i hate jude

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Besides a few references and the identity of an antagonist, there's no major connections between the titles. D:OS 2 is set over a millennium after D:OS 1. Not sure how much QoL difference might make it feel hard going back after, but it's not a necessity that you play in order.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Merilan posted:

i'm mad i let myself be bullied into playing jude cause people told me you'll miss out on a shitload of plot on the milla route

cause i hate jude
95% of cutscenes in the game are exactly the same and you miss out on exactly two scenes if you do milla's route

so on the one hand you could have done it, but on the other hand it wouldn't have changed anything or made jude less prominent

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Endorph posted:

95% of cutscenes in the game are exactly the same and you miss out on exactly two scenes if you do milla's route

so on the one hand you could have done it, but on the other hand it wouldn't have changed anything or made jude less prominent

i kinda had to set the game down somewhat after the point everything breaks down and alvin shoots leia and the party splits for a bit cause it was too miserable for me, i figure that's one thing you wouldn't see as milla cause she's not there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

If I have learned anything from staff studio discussions it is that most to all JRPG developers need a group of women on staff whose entire job is to tell them to stop doing boring/dumb things or at least do different dumb things.

sega should get a bunch of game dev women together again and let them make napple tale 2

and then loving do an hd rerelease of napple tale in english!!! it looks so loving cool, dammit!!! i wanna play a video game that looks like an artsy shoujo anime

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmAETs2IbIo&t=229s

I can't help but get Sonic Adventure flashbacks when I look at this game. The scale, camera angles, everything about this game looks like they used the exact same engine as the original SA and just replaced all the models

even the jump has the exact same airtime and cadence to it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmAETs2IbIo&t=229s

I can't help but get Sonic Adventure flashbacks when I look at this game. The scale, camera angles, everything about this game looks like they used the exact same engine as the original SA and just replaced all the models

even the jump has the exact same airtime and cadence to it

it's... just a regular dreamcast game? it's nothing at all like sonic adventure, i've played it. the only similarity it has is that it's made by sega and it runs on the dreamcast. the player-tracking 3d camera isn't even used outside of the town, the regular levels use a sidescrolling camera

even if it is running on the same engine the game as it functions is so different that it doesn't really matter

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Playing thrugh Original Sin 2 as the elf lady and really reigning in her murder impulses for the redemptive path was quite satisfying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kokoro Wish posted:

Playing thrugh Original Sin 2 as the elf lady and really reigning in her murder impulses for the redemptive path was quite satisfying.

Same but without the reigning in

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i think like half the six predetermined characters tried to kill me because i picked the wrong conversation options without even knowing why within the first 5 minutes of the game. i kind of. just left them alone and went on our merry way

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Endorph posted:

Japanese men are absolutely clueless/hopeless.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mayhaps, the japanese industry is not particularly worse about this than the western one

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Colonel posted:

just japanese men?

You're right

Japan is clueless/hopeless

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
okay seriously let's not do this loving stupid poo poo lol

if you want to talk about the systemic bullshit of the japanese government and how it effects lgbt+ people and women then sure but this doesn't quite feel like that

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Ka0 posted:

<smiling into the sunrise> I have finally become Japanese

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

klapman posted:

<smiling into the sunrise> I have finally become Japanese

You really think so?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

at least they actually listened to the female staff which puts it above a lot of other situations ive heard about in a variety of countries

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That is true. Although the initial idea of having Millia be an emotionless drone who learns emotions from Jude is just plain bad. It reminds of a Level 5 project called gundam AGE, where they didn't listen to the female staff and thus every girl in that shitshow's purpose is to die and serve as motivation for the shonen protagonist.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ka0 posted:

That is true. Although the initial idea of having Millia be an emotionless drone who learns emotions from Jude is just plain bad. It reminds of a Level 5 project called gundam AGE, where they didn't listen to the female staff and thus every girl in that shitshow's purpose is to die and serve as motivation for the shonen protagonist.

Hey let’s be fair

The girls’ other purpose in AGE was to pop out the next generation before dying

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tired Moritz posted:

I like my anime games to not look realistic tbh.

What if you had to pick between realistic of Xenoblade Chronicle X's :shepface: characters?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ka0 posted:

The funny thing about that one is that one of the producers went all 'women dont know what sells' and then AGE was a massive bomb

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ka0 posted:

And they did this after Gundam SEED was the most wildly successful Gundam AU largely thanks to its female base? And after Wing also scored big with female fans?

That's not just sexism, it's some staggering levels of incompetence.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically every massively successful gundam has been tied to its female base because women have loved gundam since 0079 lol

in interviews from recent years yoshiyuki tomino's talked about it and bitched about how so few people recognize it lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is also why gundam sousei kind of sucks outside of what it covers about the staff themselves

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

What if you had to pick between realistic of Xenoblade Chronicle X's :shepface: characters?

hosed up opinion: I didn't have a problem with Xenoblade X's character models.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Look you may hate XB but you can't fault its production values. Not defending or anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Which Xenoblade, cause Ive got complaints, some big some little, that tie to budget/production values

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I wish X had allocated more budget to cutscenes of giant robots fighting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And they did this after Gundam SEED was the most wildly successful Gundam AU largely thanks to its female base? And after Wing also scored big with female fans?

That's not just sexism, it's some staggering levels of incompetence.
gundam as a franchise literally exists because of female fans. When 0079 had its run reduced and was quietly forgotten about, a small but dedicated female fanbase developed. Sunrise took notice of this and reran the series at a better timeslot in hopes of attracting more people like them, but the better timeslot meant it finally got a young male demo as well, and so they kept the series running and began selling better, slightly more expensive toys. The better build quality of the toys compared to usual mecha toys meant that the older female fans liked them, and the young boys just wanted toys of the cool robots they liked. So sales were high enough that they greenlit Zeta, which was also successful with both those groups.

Series from that point on have split the difference in pretty different ways (G was fairly successful but almost entirely with young boys and adult men, Wing and SEED are the big female appeal ones and both were actually popular with young girls as well as adult women, so on) but it's always been an undeniable part of the series.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Colonel posted:

okay seriously let's not do this loving stupid poo poo lol

if you want to talk about the systemic bullshit of the japanese government and how it effects lgbt+ people and women then sure but this doesn't quite feel like that

No the joke was about how you were clearly intending to imply that it wasn't just Japanese men who were clueless but all men, so to subvert this I insinuated that the problem with that statement was the qualifier of "men" instead of "Japanese," which leads to "all Japanese are clueless" instead of "all men are clueless"

holy gently caress I can't believe I needed to explain that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant believe a show about men who have emotional needs and good looks who uphold romantic/chivalrous relationships with the people who support them who have their own agency and dignity is popular with something called <checks notes> women

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Endorph posted:

gundam as a franchise literally exists because of female fans. When 0079 had its run reduced and was quietly forgotten about, a small but dedicated female fanbase developed. Sunrise took notice of this and reran the series at a better timeslot in hopes of attracting more people like them, but the better timeslot meant it finally got a young male demo as well, and so they kept the series running and began selling better, slightly more expensive toys. The better build quality of the toys compared to usual mecha toys meant that the older female fans liked them, and the young boys just wanted toys of the cool robots they liked. So sales were high enough that they greenlit Zeta, which was also successful with both those groups.

Series from that point on have split the difference in pretty different ways (G was fairly successful but almost entirely with young boys and adult men, Wing and SEED are the big female appeal ones and both were actually popular with young girls as well as adult women, so on) but it's always been an undeniable part of the series.

i still remember being roped into wing despite not liking giant robots at the time because it had cute boys, then my mecha interest just flew off from there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I cant believe a show about men who have emotional needs and good looks who uphold romantic/chivalrous relationships with the people who support them who have their own agency and dignity is popular with something called <checks notes> women
lmao yeah for some reason there's a segment of people who both saw gundam wing as a kid and are really shocked to find out gundam has a huge female fanbase

like, did you see literally everything about zechs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

lmao yeah for some reason there's a segment of people who both saw gundam wing as a kid and are really shocked to find out gundam has a huge female fanbase

like, did you see literally everything about zechs

As it turns out that one meme where the guy is going "wow! cool robot" can apply to anything about Gundam.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this checks out, my GF loves gundam wing for some reason and is a big fan of whatever a "duo maxwell" is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

this checks out, my GF loves gundam wing for some reason and is a big fan of whatever a "duo maxwell" is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5rMbdmohQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a little kid due to only ever being exposed to Gundam via Wing I took a lot of convincing that not only was Gundam for boys but that so were robot shows in general; they're giant dolls you dress up for crying out loud! I also assumed Sailor Moon was for boys so my kid logic to understanding of the demographic targeting of these was subpar.