Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

To be fair, it's not like he has the opportunity or authority to do that in the actual film.

Also in SRW D the people Char hands Amuro and Bright over to are OZ, because SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Also in SRW D the people Char hands Amuro and Bright over to are OZ, because SRW.
SRW D is a weird little title, not just for plot, but also for unit acquisition. The various Victory Gundam models are treated as separate units, so the base Victory is one unit while the Victory Hexa is...the exact same thing with a different sprite. And the game just gives you the MP Nu Gundam with very little fanfare (or if it does point it out, it is very blink-and-you'll-miss-it), to the point I only found I got the thing after a route split and was shuffling pilots around. And there's Haman Karn and her Qubeley, who is a secret only acquired on a New Game+ file, and also only if you dump kills into Char, Kamille and Judau. Like, there are little extra scenes added in to the plot involving Haman that you can only see on a NG+ run, it is very weird overall.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

SRW D is a weird little title, not just for plot, but also for unit acquisition. The various Victory Gundam models are treated as separate units, so the base Victory is one unit while the Victory Hexa is...the exact same thing with a different sprite. And the game just gives you the MP Nu Gundam with very little fanfare (or if it does point it out, it is very blink-and-you'll-miss-it), to the point I only found I got the thing after a route split and was shuffling pilots around. And there's Haman Karn and her Qubeley, who is a secret only acquired on a New Game+ file, and also only if you dump kills into Char, Kamille and Judau. Like, there are little extra scenes added in to the plot involving Haman that you can only see on a NG+ run, it is very weird overall.

also you can recruit katejina and chronicle, for some reason

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AradoBalanga posted:

Apparently Haman can be earned on a first playthrough, it just takes a ludicrous number of kills on the necessary pilots (Char, Amuro, Camille, and Judau).

D also has weird things going on with people entering and leaving your roster for vague plot reasons. Treize is occasionally a playable unit, but mostly he drops in for a stage or two and then is gone (you keep the Tallgeese II). The same is true of the sub-protagonist, whoever you aren't playing as basically leaves on all the other plot routes until you get the original upgrades which is kind of odd and not a thing SRW generally does. Also you can get the Mercurius and Vayeate if you use Hilde and Noin a lot in the early game. And you get 3 VF-17s, but very shortly into the game you lose two of their pilots leaving only Gamlin. And you get Robot Jr. which is Boss Borot's sidekick robot piloted by Shiro Kabuto. And on one route you can get Roux in the Gundam MK-III for some reason. Also it's possible to recruit Katejina and Chronicle, which is weird on a whole lot of levels.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking further of Victory Gundam weirdness, D also kills off Oliver, but at the hands of...IIRC, either Lupe or Farah instead of him crashing a Core Fighter into a ship. Meanwhile, Junko and Odelo survive without any issues nor does the player have to do anything to keep them alive.

Omnicrom posted:

Apparently Haman can be earned on a first playthrough, it just takes a ludicrous number of kills on the necessary pilots (Char, Amuro, Camille, and Judau).
Huh, I did not know that. I knew about the kill count, but that secret got seemingly updated since I last played, from what I can tell.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Omnicrom posted:

D also has weird things going on with people entering and leaving your roster for vague plot reasons. Treize is occasionally a playable unit, but mostly he drops in for a stage or two and then is gone (you keep the Tallgeese II). The same is true of the sub-protagonist, whoever you aren't playing as basically leaves on all the other plot routes until you get the original upgrades which is kind of odd and not a thing SRW generally does. Also you can get the Mercurius and Vayeate if you use Hilde and Noin a lot in the early game. And you get 3 VF-17s, but very shortly into the game you lose two of their pilots leaving only Gamlin. And you get Robot Jr. which is Boss Borot's sidekick robot piloted by Shiro Kabuto. And on one route you can get Roux in the Gundam MK-III for some reason. Also it's possible to recruit Katejina and Chronicle, which is weird on a whole lot of levels.

The Tallgeese II is also one of the most frustrating units in that game because the Epyon in D isn't that great so it's a natural fit for Zechs... but you lose it for the final stage so that Treize can go off and become The Hero of Earth at the end

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Speaking of the Epyon, I'm still rather disappointed that we never got it as a playable unit in Z2.2, especially because there is a player-statted version of it in the game's files (along with a player version of the Susanowo) and it would have been a pretty great unit to play around with.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of SRW, the translation project for SRW GC is almost finished, which will be fun to play since it's basically the only SRW game to give a lot of focus to the original Gundam(pretty much every other game in the franchise with it just includes it so Amuro has a unit to use in the early game because for some reason they don't like including the Djeh and only occasionally include the R-GeZ)

Honestly we're kinda overdue for an SRW game with a OYW focus again, especially since the last 4-5 console games(depending on whether you count Z3 as one game or two) have been focusing on CCA and/or Unicorn, indeed if they did do one it would be nice if they didn't include any UC series set after 0083 or any AU series at all for that matter(not to mention be careful about what other Real Robot series to include on the roster)

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Omnicrom posted:

Speaking of the Epyon, I'm still rather disappointed that we never got it as a playable unit in Z2.2, especially because there is a player-statted version of it in the game's files (along with a player version of the Susanowo) and it would have been a pretty great unit to play around with.

yeah, I was legit crushed by that. They didn't really do it justice in D because its beam sword is just a weak, basic attack so it's a finisher-less unit that's honestly weaker than the Deathscythe, Zero System considered and all

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly we're kinda overdue for an SRW game with a OYW focus again, especially since the last 4-5 console games(depending on whether you count Z3 as one game or two) have been focusing on CCA and/or Unicorn, indeed if they did do one it would be nice if they didn't include any UC series set after 0083 or any AU series at all for that matter(not to mention be careful about what other Real Robot series to include on the roster)

it'd be nice to have 08th around again. also giving amuro the alex as his endgame upgrade would be fun

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 9, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It’d be interesting if they include The Origin, if only because the implication that Old Zaku are still a giant leap forward in warfare even in a setting with knightmare frames or armed slaves.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

It’d be interesting if they include The Origin, if only because the implication that Old Zaku are still a giant leap forward in warfare even in a setting with knightmare frames or armed slaves.

tbf early knightmares are jank as hell so you could make an argument there, AS not so much

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Give me the Cucuruz Doan who used a G Gundam super mode to clown on fools. That’d go toe-to-toe with a Lambda Driver, no prob.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Honestly that's why I mentioned that they should be careful about what other Real Robot series to include on the roster to avoid the risk of Mobile Suits getting overshadowed in importance

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that's why I mentioned that they should be careful about what other Real Robot series to include on the roster to avoid the risk of Mobile Suits getting overshadowed in importance

SRW when it cares enough to bring the comparative technology between series up usually just handwaves in favor of all the series being of similar relative power as a justification for the sake of gameplay. In Z2 KMFs are considered roughly as advanced and effective as Mobile Suits from both Wing and 00. SRW V explains that Arm Slaves from Fullmetal Panic, and I mean regular non-Lambda Driver Arm Slaves, are a serious threat and are possibly more dangerous and more advanced than a mobile suit. In SRW T they talk about how ATs from VOTOMs, which I shouldn't need to point out are tiny and comparatively much lower tech than the mobile suits on display, should nonetheless be treated as serious dangers.

Basically if Origin does make it in I guarantee they will handwave it to say that OYW era tech is on par with whatever the hell else is on the roster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked how they handled VOTOMs mecha by basically establishing that they go rid of anything involving human comfort or safety and instead focused on just a machine that is easily mass produced while also being very high performance. So the end result is the most glass of glass cannons.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Every theme should get a chance to be cool in SRW, no matter how low-powered or high-powered the theme is, so I'm glad that they do that

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There is the hilarity in Z2 where if you take the Geass routes a significant chunk of your earlygame enemies are just helicopters.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pureauthor posted:

There is the hilarity in Z2 where if you take the Geass routes a significant chunk of your earlygame enemies are just helicopters.

From VOTOMs. Because Kallen is basically also a VOTOMs character in Z2.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Blaze Dragon posted:

G Gen feels like something that could be much better if it focused on having a plot and using the characters it has in fun crossover ways but instead it's mostly a sandbox to create your Gundam fantasies but with no real framework to actually execute it.

SRW is more traditional RPG and GGen is more disgaea.
Despite vaguely looking similar, they're very different. You probably called it with the sandbox comment, but GGen (over/world) has plots mostly per stage with fun set pieces, like one stage starts off with Mid-OYW Char and Lalah Sune fighting to stop Ribbons Almark from dropping A Boa Qu to gently caress up earth, then more and more factions get involved as the stage progresses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

I liked how they handled VOTOMs mecha by basically establishing that they go rid of anything involving human comfort or safety and instead focused on just a machine that is easily mass produced while also being very high performance. So the end result is the most glass of glass cannons.

Which is honestly true of most military vehicles nowadays. Armor is heavy. The only things that really stand up to dedicated anti armor weaponry nowadays are MBTs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I did really enjoy GGen's way to get suits by leveling other suits to certain points. That was a fun way to unlock random units. After reading up on the new one (cross rays) I've decided to get T and give it a good go through. Cross rays just seems like it'll be the same style of playing through the series which doesn't sound great with all the different AU's they're including.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

From VOTOMs. Because Kallen is basically also a VOTOMs character in Z2.

I still love how VOTOMs mechs are so insanely brutal but their helicopters are flash gordon nonsense, big ol glass domes everywhere

SpikeMcclane posted:

SRW is more traditional RPG and GGen is more disgaea.
Despite vaguely looking similar, they're very different. You probably called it with the sandbox comment, but GGen (over/world) has plots mostly per stage with fun set pieces, like one stage starts off with Mid-OYW Char and Lalah Sune fighting to stop Ribbons Almark from dropping A Boa Qu to gently caress up earth, then more and more factions get involved as the stage progresses.

people talking about over/world made me think genesis would be good and of course it's that game where they decide to get rid of all the fun what-if stuff and just fart out super-dry retellings of stories we already know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMdA-6g1Qs

with one exception

kinda sad we never get this thing in srw but it's understandable as it would go against everything turn a gundam is about

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Kingtheninja posted:

I did really enjoy GGen's way to get suits by leveling other suits to certain points. That was a fun way to unlock random units. After reading up on the new one (cross rays) I've decided to get T and give it a good go through. Cross rays just seems like it'll be the same style of playing through the series which doesn't sound great with all the different AU's they're including.

the draw for Cross Rays for me is that it has a wealth of MS Variations and other obscure, minor suits that'll never make it to an SRW game and that'll be a fun enough sandbox for me to play around in for a bit

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

fairly ballsy to name it cross rays and have no actual crossing going on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S69iThUtbB0
I fear no man, but that... thing, it scares me.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Just leaving this here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Greblin posted:

Just leaving this here.
I don’t know what this is, but it is canon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Greblin posted:

Just leaving this here.

no Fuunsaiki, shameful

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

congratulations, Setsuna. You have finally.... become horse.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I don’t know what this is, but it is canon.

The Japan (Horse) Racing Association has been spending a ridiculous amount of money trying to get young people into horse racing and that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RillAkBea posted:

The Japan (Horse) Racing Association has been spending a ridiculous amount of money trying to get young people into horse racing and that's pretty much the long and short of it.
Ah, so when it comes to horse racing the young people have been saying...neigh.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Merilan posted:

congratulations, Setsuna. You have finally.... become horse.

rip gundam, thought of ants and died

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

no Fuunsaiki, shameful

Realtalk, they put a mobile trace system on a horse, the same system that is actively painful to get into and can cause serious injury if not operated correctly.

Fuunsaiki should be glue, and I'm pretty sure that was animal abuse. But for a series it was in, it was dumb loving fun and I loved every minute of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Realtalk, they put a mobile trace system on a horse, the same system that is actively painful to get into and can cause serious injury if not operated correctly.

Fuunsaiki should be glue, and I'm pretty sure that was animal abuse. But for a series it was in, it was dumb loving fun and I loved every minute of it.

I feel like Master Asia's horse is probably more likely to be OK with giant robot kung fu than most horses.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Warmachine posted:

I think it was only Domon that had the really tight suit, no one else had that much trouble getting theirs on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Actually that brings up a good question, how the Hell did Master Asia use the system without one of those suits, only other character to do so was that mummy and he was reanimated by DG Cells so they probably filled that role, while Master Asia explicitly doesn't have those in his body

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Warmachine posted:

The horse is trained in its operation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

Actually that brings up a good question, how the Hell did Master Asia use the system without one of those suits, only other character to do so was that mummy and he was reanimated by DG Cells so they probably filled that role, while Master Asia explicitly doesn't have those in his body

Kung Fu Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

apparently he syncs with the trace system so well that he doesn't actually need the suit. basically master asia is so good at kung fu that it lets him pilot giant robots better.

Warmachine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

tbf a normal horse would have died just seeing a gundam, or ants, or anything really. but he doesn't look thrilled about it at all