Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Can we all just stop to appreciate how weird it is that in the year of our lord 2019, one of the big new fads is Chernobyl memes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

Can we all just stop to appreciate how weird it is that in the year of our lord 2019, one of the big new fads is Chernobyl memes.

And they're all pretty fuckin good quality memes too. None of this mspaint troll guy reddit poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CainFortea posted:

And they're all pretty fuckin good quality memes too. None of this mspaint troll guy reddit poo poo.

Luckily Comrade Dyatlov died before he could see all these online photoshops.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Chernobyl Funko Pops when?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On a whim I watched Shin Godzilla since people in this thread recommended it and it ruled. Thanks, thread!

E: I also watched Threads two days ago and it thoroughly bummed me out.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 9, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KoRMaK posted:

i dont quite get how peoples eyes and brains still functioned after looking into the core/being close to it, specically the guys that guy interviewed when they were in the hospital a couple days later. is it because brain/eye cells don't divide that often and dont go through mitosis?

Depends on your exposure. Some get cataracts and poo poo. Lt Pravik (the guy that tells them they need to move to the roof while they're fighting the fires) had brown eyes when he went. His eyes were blue when he got to the hospital. I wish the series had focused a bit more on him too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Oh please yes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

One Tula miner please. Hat only.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll happily take a blowtorch to any existing funko pops and give them the old Chernobyl treatment.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Series 1:
Legasov
Scherbina
Khomyuk
Dyatlov without graphite
Tula Miner
Lyudmilla & Vasily

ComicCon limited edition:
Vasily (No Skin)

Doin your work for you Funko

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Funko Pops should be dumped in a hole with a concrete sarcophogus.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I figured out what the second season could be.

HBOs version of command & control and the Damascus incident. Would fit really well. OSHA, sci fi, bueracracy. Got it all. And THAT'S how Chernobyl could get a second season. Just make it about different events.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I figured out what the second season could be.

HBOs version of command & control and the Damascus incident. Would fit really well. OSHA, sci fi, bueracracy. Got it all. And THAT'S how Chernobyl could get a second season. Just make it about different events.

I think the Challenger disaster is probably the most natural second season.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Looks like we got season 3!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Looks like we got season 3!

:getin:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I didn't know there'd be a thread for this show.

Like most old farts, I remember this actually happening. So, to you young whippersnappers who rolled your eyes at how ridiculous the Soviet officials were portrayed, to the point of cartoonish supervillainy... yeah, that was a thing. The USA could have had possession of the world's only Nuclear Decontamination Ray Gun, which immediately turns any radioactive substance into pure, non-radioactive, 24-karat gold with one shot, and the USSR would not have even dreamed of using it. And news of the event was clearly being controlled by the government.

I loved this miniseries. It really brought back a lot of the memories of when I was a kid and this was an active news story. We didn't know what might happen, and prediction were all over the place. Seeing how carefully they recreated things... I mean, wow.

One scene in particular really amazed me. I seriously almost crapped my pants when they looked down to check the reactor and saw the impossible--a completely uncontrolled nuclear reaction in what remained of the reactor. I thought, what would I have done if I'd been sent to look and see why the system was going nuts, and I looked down and saw that? It would seriously take a second or ten before I realized exactly what I was looking at, because when you see something you never imagined would be right in front of you, your brain does take a little time to register what's happening. But once it does, what do you do? Before it even dawns on you that you've already received a lethal dose of radiation, you stand there, but after? I might just look and take it all in--I'm dead in any event, and nobody's ever going to see what I'm seeing, God willing.

It was a subtle scene, but it really captured something special.

This was a great miniseries.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'm gonna have to be the dissent here. I don't think this series needs a 2nd, let alone a 3rd series. I can see them going a couple of ways on this

1. Prequel/Sequal: We've already seen the moments that were real and gave the sense of "oh gently caress..." that made it a terrific series.
2. Pick another event like Chernobyl, Fukushima or whatever. But that means an entirely new set of actors, new sets. Who knows if the next cast will gel as well as this one did.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope that I am, but my fear is that turns out like WestWorld S2

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

They could make The New Adventures of Boris Scherbina, and cover the 1988 Spitak earthquake, where he was also involved in relief operations.

From there it's a straight route to the Saturday morning cartoon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm gonna have to be the dissent here. I don't think this series needs a 2nd, let alone a 3rd series. I can see them going a couple of ways on this
It's a joke, it's not gonna happen

Timespy posted:

They could make The New Adventures of Boris Scherbina, and cover the 1988 Spitak earthquake, where he was also involved in relief operations.

From there it's a straight route to the Saturday morning cartoon.
very limited run

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently the Russian Chernobyl series about how the CIA caused the explosion is already in post-production. They must have started working on that thing a long time ago. So, why did HBO and the Russian state started working on a Chernobyl series roughly at the same time? Is there some kind of important anniversary coming up?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Opferwurst posted:

Apparently the Russian Chernobyl series about how the CIA caused the explosion is already in post-production. They must have started working on that thing a long time ago. So, why did HBO and the Russian state started working on a Chernobyl series roughly at the same time? Is there some kind of important anniversary coming up?

They probably heard the HBO one was in production and rushed straight to order, presuming it was not going to be kind.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HBO should make a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact series, and end it with the Katyn Massacre.

Just to gently caress with the Russian government.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All of russian history is totally fascinating and brutal as poo poo and would make for good TV

Why not a band of brothers series, but from the russian point of view? The biggest battles took place on the eastern front and that's where Nazi Germany was annihilated and defeated. Give me a series about that

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’d watch a Siege of Stalingrad or Battle of Kursk show.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a bunch of Russian war movies.

The one about Brest-Litovsk is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQGr-ogfKN8

Of course, it's very Russian in it's depiction of the heroic acts of the soldiers of the Motherland.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

spankmeister posted:

Of course, it's very Russian in it's depiction of the heroic acts of the soldiers of the Motherland.
Don't watch Russian media post-soviet Great Patriotic War films. Despite what you might assume if you know nothing about the subject, Soviet films had their propaganda tempered by the fact most cast members actually fought in the war, so that there was a built-in limit to the level of pure bullshit. (A bit like how the 21st century explosion in Chinese films about the Japanese occupation also saw a drastic reduction in quality).

Anyways, I thought this is a fairly balanced Russian perspective of the series first episode

I went over the translation to see if google hosed anything up, and here are some relevant moments:
"Cranberry" is a common phrase for stereotypes about Russians
"Woodpeckers" is how google occasionally translates "Dyatlov".
"Scoop" - "Sovok", a derogatory term for Soviet mentality, which didn't really make it outside the FSU. I'm pretty sure FSU and US ideas about what "Soviet Mentality" even was a radically different.
"Well, it is, as they say, even if you stay, at least fall!" - "I can't even".
"Who do the filmmakers view?" - "how stupid do they think the viewers are?"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 9, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
It's not just a question of how much of russian the english google translation hosed up, but also how much the writer hosed up translating an english show into russian in their head.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

I’d watch a Siege of Stalingrad or Battle of Kursk show.

The Kursk submarine disaster would be a decent subject for another show like this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

illectro posted:

For those who're interested, I put together a slightly more detailed explanation of the reactor physics for the real nerds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3d3rzFTrLg

I've always wondered something and maybe you have the answer. It is my understanding that graphite core reactors have a problem with something called Wigner energy or something? And at X10 and Windscale they had to do Wigner releases periodically which involved slightly overheating the graphite core to release the energy.

Don't RMBK and other graphite core reactors have the same problem? How did they deal with this?

Does anyone know ?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I've always wondered something and maybe you have the answer. It is my understanding that graphite core reactors have a problem with something called Wigner energy or something? And at X10 and Windscale they had to do Wigner releases periodically which involved slightly overheating the graphite core to release the energy.

Don't RMBK and other graphite core reactors have the same problem? How did they deal with this?

Does anyone know ?

It wasn't a issue with RMBK design since the high running temperature of the reactor and the associated graphite moderator prevented the Wigner energy effect from occurring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner_effect

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

tarlibone posted:

I didn't know there'd be a thread for this show.

Like most old farts, I remember this actually happening. So, to you young whippersnappers who rolled your eyes at how ridiculous the Soviet officials were portrayed, to the point of cartoonish supervillainy... yeah, that was a thing. The USA could have had possession of the world's only Nuclear Decontamination Ray Gun, which immediately turns any radioactive substance into pure, non-radioactive, 24-karat gold with one shot, and the USSR would not have even dreamed of using it. And news of the event was clearly being controlled by the government.

I loved this miniseries. It really brought back a lot of the memories of when I was a kid and this was an active news story. We didn't know what might happen, and prediction were all over the place. Seeing how carefully they recreated things... I mean, wow.

One scene in particular really amazed me. I seriously almost crapped my pants when they looked down to check the reactor and saw the impossible--a completely uncontrolled nuclear reaction in what remained of the reactor. I thought, what would I have done if I'd been sent to look and see why the system was going nuts, and I looked down and saw that? It would seriously take a second or ten before I realized exactly what I was looking at, because when you see something you never imagined would be right in front of you, your brain does take a little time to register what's happening. But once it does, what do you do? Before it even dawns on you that you've already received a lethal dose of radiation, you stand there, but after? I might just look and take it all in--I'm dead in any event, and nobody's ever going to see what I'm seeing, God willing.

It was a subtle scene, but it really captured something special.

This was a great miniseries.

According to books about it, those two were there for about a minute. It wasn't look and bolt

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gonz posted:

HBO should make a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact series, and end it with the Katyn Massacre.

Just to gently caress with the Russian government.

The future of good TV. Trolling Russians

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

spankmeister posted:

Screw that

Give me Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgård playing russian officers or something just as the Nazis turn on Russia

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

kaesarsosei posted:

The Kursk submarine disaster would be a decent subject for another show like this.

Oh, that show would rule. I remember that event too, and the woman that gets sedated in public because she's bitching out the government stooges because they're still shoveling soviet bullshit in post soviet Russia. There were some really hosed up decisions made during that all because the Russians were afraid the west would steal their outdated tech

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone know ?

Reactors are normally water cooled, as in the fuel is submerged in coolant and makes steam to power turbines. Windscale is a completely different idea that was air cooled where canisters of uranium were pushed through a graphite block specifically to pump out weapons grade material by guys that understood how poo poo worked, but were pretty ignorant in how to go about making a system to do what they wanted. Add to that the eventual demand to make more faster resulting in flawed changes and whelp...burn, baby, burn

In the more technical explanation, an RBMK reactor relies on bombarding uranium fuel rods with neutrons to make the uranium heat up through chain reactions as it breaks down. This heats up water (coolant) that it sits in to make steam to turns a turbine before condensing back into water and run back into the reactor. Keeping that water flowing at a specific rate allows the reactor to stay hot enough to make steam, but keeps the uranium cooled enough that it doesn't melt. You know, until you have an event like Chernobyl and dun dun duuun. The graphite in this type of reaction runs hot enough that Winger energy can't build up because the temperatures allow the atoms to realign

Windscale had big graphite blocks with holes drilled through from the face to the rear. They would insert and push finned aluminum canisters* loaded with uranium through these ports so that the natural reaction would cause the uranium to break down into other materials like plutonium. It was air cooled and had huge fans that would blow air over the reactor because this chain reaction inside would build up heat. Because it would never get as hot as a reactor like the RMBK the atoms can't realign themselves, they're stuck where they are and constantly trying to realign. So to fix this the graphite is heated up higher to let these atoms realign. Otherwise when enough atoms build up, they force themselves into place resulting in energy releases that can reach thousands of degrees and destroy the reactor.

* these canisters looked basically like an asterisk if you looked down it long ways. The middle would hold the fuel while the points around the outside would be the fins.

Windscale had multiple issues all through it's lifetime such as rupturing canisters and expelled canisters missing the "cooling trough" behind resulting in workers having to kick them into it. Then in the rush to make more material in the wake of a US/Soviet bill to ban making weapon grade stuff, the British redesigned the canisters to hold more material making them more fragile. This started the Windscale fire as a canister ruptured, caught fire and lodged itself and others in the reactor. To this day they are still lodged inside that reactor.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 9, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

The future of good TV. Trolling Russians

It's like when Sweden released this parody song in Eurovision and the Russian embassy complained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9lOwZjXDU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

etalian posted:

It's like when Sweden released this parody song in Eurovision and the Russian embassy complained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9lOwZjXDU

Their counter-trolling was pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyPsqsH8I4M

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQeXOz0Ncs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ok I got it

The sequel should be about the 737 Max crashes and Boeing's failure to address the problem. Similar enough to Chernobyl in theme but with a cornerstone American company instead of the Soviet government as the nebulous villain. plus it'll make people as afraid of the airline industry as chernobyl made them of nuclear power, so we might see a reduction in unnecessary travel and carbon emissions as a bonus