Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

It can be responsible for more than one thing. It's got a lot to answer for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deadguy2322 posted:

How the gently caress did the forums of Something Awful, of all places, get overrun with this kind of Lilly-livered “progressive” type? Everything is so “problematic”! Jesus loving Christ, can’t anyone just take a loving joke anymore?

Because all the garbage trash people left to 4chan years ago

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Lisa isn't an easy recommend, but it is really good. It loves tonal whiplash and its got some pretty horrible subject matter, its not for everybody. Combat and exploration aspects are really well executed, and the game is filled with things catching you off-guard, like a few really solid horror bits.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rhopunzel posted:

i have no horse in this JRPG race but i played lisa and quit after like an hour because i like to play games that don't make me miserable and have likable characters that weren't designed by a 12 year old with ADHD

This is the dumbest hot take I've seen in ages.
LISA is gloriously good and does a great job of going between humor and existential dread horror, and even though it's got fairly standard RPG fighting the animations just make it amazing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
LISA is a good game, and I rarely enjoy RPG. It’s too bad that the DLC follow-up seems like it was badly designed and sort of compromises the quality if the original game by overexplaining and expanding the story in uninteresting ways.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Diabetes Forecast posted:

This is the dumbest hot take I've seen in ages.
LISA is gloriously good and does a great job of going between humor and existential dread horror, and even though it's got fairly standard RPG fighting the animations just make it amazing.

My hot take is that it's primarily a story driven game, and the story didn't move fast enough to keep me interested, I didn't relate to any of the characters and I thought the writing tried way too hard to be subversive and wacky. I'm sure it's well designed otherwise but I'm not going to force myself to play through a story I can't stand.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

cyberdwarf fortress

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

space marine todd posted:

cyberdwarf fortress
B4rkly 4: Cyberdwarf Fourtress

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the only jokes in barkley 1 i feel are outdated are the furry sewers and ghost dad

see, the furries should now all be pedophiles to reflect how they are irl

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Baclarkey

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
This post is canon.

A good joke can stand on its own. I'm sure the writer of barkley knows he can make funny dialogue as evidenced by the first game and if your life is so loving empty that you have to judge people's jokes I doubt you've actually funny yourself.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh hey you logged onto the other account

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

LISA is a good game, and I rarely enjoy RPG. It’s too bad that the DLC follow-up seems like it was badly designed and sort of compromises the quality if the original game by overexplaining and expanding the story in uninteresting ways.

Funnily enough you probably feel that way about the dlc because it was a kickstarter stretch goal.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

someone get this thread a chicken dew

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhopunzel posted:

My hot take is that it's primarily a story driven game, and the story didn't move fast enough to keep me interested, I didn't relate to any of the characters and I thought the writing tried way too hard to be subversive and wacky. I'm sure it's well designed otherwise but I'm not going to force myself to play through a story I can't stand.

i gotta agree i felt it took way too long to get going but i'm a big fan of in media res without long intro poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Lisa isn't an easy recommend, but it is really good. It loves tonal whiplash and its got some pretty horrible subject matter, its not for everybody. Combat and exploration aspects are really well executed, and the game is filled with things catching you off-guard, like a few really solid horror bits.

Yeah, LISA really isn't for everyone, but it's also the absolute funniest game I have ever played.

I wish there was a good video of the flashback to Rick's house, because that was absolutely amazing.

DrManiac posted:

Funnily enough you probably feel that way about the dlc because it was a kickstarter stretch goal.

Ding straight up said in a stream he didn't want to make it but he had to because it was a stretch goal and he highly, highly regretted making it so (since he made it a stretch goal much earlier in the development process with a much different version of the story).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 9, 2019

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Mods please change my name to Dark Draker (clone 42)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Cuntellectual posted:

ss lp, but nn ashe's in the lp archive is good.

What does ss stand for here?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Screenshot

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Virtual Captain posted:

Mods please change my name to Dark Draker (clone 42)

it'd be good if someone created a Dark Draker's' gangtag

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

What does ss stand for here?

screenshot, I was on my phone and too lazy to type it.

https://lparchive.org/Barkleys-Shut-Up-And-Jam-Gaiden/

here it is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I don't really know what this is, but it sounds cool.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhopunzel posted:

i have no horse in this JRPG race but i played lisa and quit after like an hour because i like to play games that don't make me miserable and have likable characters that weren't designed by a 12 year old with ADHD

Lol it you don't love media that fill out palpable, infectious misery

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
LISA killed the poo poo out of my team like a dozen times during mandatory Russian Roulette, one time I actually just let it go and lost literally everyone. Constantly watching my people die, reloading, going through all of the walking and cutscenes before the Roulette, and repeating it again and again really killed the fun I was having. After finally escaping that hell with something like 5 people left, I quickly bumbled my way into getting my last reliable damage dealer kidnapped, without the mags to rescue him, no idea where the hideout was, It might have been the gang that has someone go mutant and kill your party member anyways, and no path forward I could see besides grinding in that one dark cave for an hour to get enough mags to live on and exp for my neglected party members, I just couldn't keep going. I had to quit.

Pretty much everything else about LISA is pretty great, though, and thevoiceofdog did a great LP that you should watch if you have luck and navigation skills as terrible as mine.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Octoroon Traveler

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not to beat a dead horse but if you get mad that people criticized like 2-3 jokes in a very old freeware game(out of who knows how many) you are the one with thin skin

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this game is never coming out?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06/03/barkley-2-indie-game-disintegrates-years-after-successful-100000-kickstarter
I found this googling how to buy a copy.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Actually there's a purchase link on the tales of games site

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

the only jokes in barkley 1 i feel are outdated are the furry sewers and ghost dad

see, the furries should now all be pedophiles to reflect how they are irl

Yeah, they really went to easy on the furries.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

barkley 2 now epic store exclusive

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

barkley 2 now epic store exclusive

dont you dare

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endorph posted:

i understand why barkley would make you think jrpgs are bad, but i assure you they're very good, barkley's just kind of a bad meme game people have weird nostalgia for

Barkley's a better jrpg than anything with "star" "dragon" or "wild" in the title.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Barkley's a better jrpg than anything with "star" "dragon" or "wild" in the title.

WildStar?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadguy2322 posted:

How the gently caress did the forums of Something Awful, of all places, get overrun with this kind of Lilly-livered “progressive” type? Everything is so “problematic”! Jesus loving Christ, can’t anyone just take a loving joke anymore?

Lol you dumb gently caress.

Everything that was very mildly critiqued in this thread as being dated or slightly rude humor is stuff the devs themselves regret putting in there because they were dumb college kids when they made the first game.

I can't believe there's still people on SA who are still stuck in the mid-2000s "nothing should be off-limits" edgy atheist mindset.

That's the cartoon with the cyborg horse right?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe there's still people on SA who are still stuck in the mid-2000s "nothing should be off-limits" edgy atheist mindset.

you mean like lowtax?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

you mean like lowtax?

lowtax got really mad when people talked about punching nazis that one time

he apparently came around

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dias posted:

lowtax got really mad when people talked about punching nazis that one time

he apparently came around

what nazis

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

the one time someone decked richard spencer and people were all "hell yeah"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dias posted:

the one time someone decked richard spencer and people were all "hell yeah"

richard spencer? is he some kind of richard dawkins motherfucker i can see dawkins being a nazi.