Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Magnetic North posted:

So, after ragequitting the game a year ago, I decided recently that I want to try it again. I haven't played since the first time they changed the skills up, and got probably halfway through the campgaign. Any suggestions / tips for understanding any other weird balancing / changes they may have done in the interim?

Well, you've played it before a bunch of patches and rebalancing. So you know the rejiggering of the skills, especially Bulwark. It's still critical to get it, but movement is also important, so usually a strategy of shuffling from one patch cover to another is effective. And since the Urban Warfare DLC came out stray shots are thing. This means "Don't bunch up or get into a line with your Mechs if you can help it." Modifying your mechs are mandatory; the stock loadouts are suboptimal, but can be playable. Pirates now have a faction that offers missions, and getting in good with them will get access to the Black Market in certain systems. Do it. The equipment that they can get their hands on is worth it. Speaking of which: the navigation screen now has filters! Select the difficulty and planetary type of the systems available, but Black Market access is highlighted by default. Generally speaking, the changes have been Cool and Good.

Oh, and first thing I do with my Mechs when I get them is shift around the equipment. Heat sinks go into the legs, ammo away from the center torso, and PPCs aren't usually worth the headache of heat management. For raw damage at range vs. heat/weight, the standard Large Laser works. Maybe consider them later on when you come across PPC++ or PPC+++, and even then you'll have to cycle to every other round unless it's on an Awesome or other Assault or Heavy who can lug around the Heat Sinks necessary to make it viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Heatsinks in the legs don't do anything special in this game BTW.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I bought the season pass and booted this up for the first time since it came out. I beat the campaign back then so I started a career mode save with 4 parts per mech, slow exp gain, rare experieced pilots, no leveled up salvage, and the other default options to get the score modifier up to 1x. Those seemed like the easiest extra options to roll with, but I'm kind of wondering if no + or ++ salvage is going to be a mistake. It seems like the career mode is super long, so eventually I imagine I'm not going to have much to salvage if the weapons are all stock, and having to buy everything is probably going to be expensive. Anyone have any insight?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Heatsinks in the legs don't do anything special in this game BTW.

They don't? I thought they'd allow for faster cooling when the mech's in water.

Also, I've been using the Battletech wiki at Gamepedia.com. It's a bit out of date, but most of the advice is still sound.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
All heatsinks benefit from standing in water, regardless of location. They've always functioned like that in this game.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Randallteal posted:

I bought the season pass and booted this up for the first time since it came out. I beat the campaign back then so I started a career mode save with 4 parts per mech, slow exp gain, rare experieced pilots, no leveled up salvage, and the other default options to get the score modifier up to 1x. Those seemed like the easiest extra options to roll with, but I'm kind of wondering if no + or ++ salvage is going to be a mistake. It seems like the career mode is super long, so eventually I imagine I'm not going to have much to salvage if the weapons are all stock, and having to buy everything is probably going to be expensive. Anyone have any insight?

No rare salvage makes variant weapons precious, but on the other hand now there's an incentive to bounce around looking at shops and a sink for all your money.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lars Blitzer posted:

Pirates now have a faction that offers missions, and getting in good with them will get access to the Black Market in certain systems. Do it. The equipment that they can get their hands on is worth it.

Wish I'd known that sooner. I'm at "hated" with the pirate faction. Uhh, how do I fix that?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Deuce posted:

Wish I'd known that sooner. I'm at "hated" with the pirate faction. Uhh, how do I fix that?

They offer black market access at random times even if they hate you for a large fee.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

sean10mm posted:

They offer black market access at random times even if they hate you for a large fee.

It's somewhere in the 10,000,000 FunBux range, but yeah. If you're at least one step above that then the price goes down.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deuce posted:

Only way is to do jobs for them, which since they hate you won't give the good jobs now, will take awhile. Best bet is to go min cash and min salvage max rep for them.

Long term, do as many jobs as you can against the local governments, since their rep doesn't matter.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 10, 2019

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ooof, losing my Heat Bank++ to a unlucky double AC10 shot to my left torso was a real kicker, that thing let me core so many mechs with my Black Knight without having to worry about heat.

Just being able to jump behind anything with called shots and go "oh, you're proper screwed now" is just great, especially against heavies and assaults that you can't afford to let live for long.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just came back to the game after a while away. None of my mods work any more. I've tried reinstalling them with the mod manager, no joy. How do I fix it?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kraftwerk posted:

I just got the game for the first time and have no idea what I’m doing.
My experience with games like this is that some weapons, items, mechs and skills are not as useful as others.

Anyone able to offer some tips on how to load out mechs, which weapons/items are good vs bad and how to min max skills on your mercs?

Any advice on c bills vs salvage?

Get enough c-bills to break even, otherwise salvage. Large cash injections (story, flashpoints, etc.) are good for upgrading the ship. Never take less than 2 priority salvage, try and grab 3 priority salvage when you don't have to take a huge paycut for it. Reason being that cash is just paying the bills and the occasional store purchase or new mechwarrior; salvage is getting bigger and better mechs, salvage is your ability to keep going after a bad mission and two 'mechs down for a month, salvage is your payday when you just sell locusts wholesale. Salvage is life. 3 salvage means that, if you run into a 'mech you really want, you can walk away with the whole 'mech if you can manage a pilot kill; failing that, leg it, grab the bits, and if you ever see it again you'll have that 'mech even if you core it out.

LRMs are pretty good. Try and have one of your 'mechs as a dedicated LRM boat and use him to soften up targets and, later on, gently caress people up with stability. SRMs are also pretty good. Like others said, you really can't go wrong with medium lasers. Try and have at least one (ideally two) 'mechs with high-damage "holepuncher" weapons like AC/10s or, ideally, an AC/20; use the LRMs to soften him up for lasers and SRMs, and use the autocannon to blow limbs off.

Light 'mechs (and later, mediums) are best employed as backstabbers - in an earlygame engagement (ex. Jenner vs Locust), the two can zap at each other from the front all day, but whoever gets a rear shot first is going to core the guy. Later on? A Shadowhawk kitted out for melee will loving dunk on heavy 'mechs if it can melee the back armor, and a Grasshopper will take out assault 'mechs if it can get behind them. Keep your eyes open for a Firestarter and, once you get one, keep the jump jets and refit it with as many small lasers as you can pack on. Get behind a guy and punch him in the CT(R) and just watch the fireworks.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 10, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jedit posted:

Just came back to the game after a while away. None of my mods work any more. I've tried reinstalling them with the mod manager, no joy. How do I fix it?

OK, got this solved by myself, but now I have a much worse issue. Mechs can jump, but neither Move nor Sprint does anything any more. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Came back after a long break the last few days, and finished the campaign - I'd got closer to the end than I realized.

I really wish lance size was six rather than four. Four feels small enough that you really can't sacrifice a big fuckoff Assault or Heavy 'Mech for support roles, as you just lose too big a percentage of your firepower and armor. Ah well.

Now I'm looking at Career mode and thinkin bout thos mods. RogueTech looks appealing (Once it's updated for 1.6), are there other big overhauls worth investigating?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

On standard settings, always salvage.

- Take the Bulwark skill (Guts 5) on everyone.
- Never leave ammo in the center torso.
- Max head and front CT/ST armor on all your mechs. Arms too if they have any weapons on them.
- SRMs and MLas are the the best general weapons, followed by AC20 and LRMs (which are more specialized, and benefit from having the mech+pilot built around them). LLs are good, AC5s less so. The rest range from bad to really bad and are just very rarely worth bothering with.
- Support Weapons (SLas, MGs) are exceptionally damage efficient, but it's dangerous to get into melee range once you start running into 55+ ton mechs on the regular. Note a melee hit strips 2 evasion pips if you have support weapons equipped.
- Ammo goes in the legs. They are tough and have a low chance to get hit compared to other sections, and while getting crit and knocked down sucks, it sucks more to get crit and instantly lose several rare weapon variants.

- Jump Jets go in the torsos. Even if you lose your legs you can still jump just fine - unless you also put your JJs in the legs, ensuring your mobility is compromised no matter what.
- If playing correctly you shouldn't be taking any unintentional rear shots at all, such that when you do it should be a calculated risk (ie a few potshots), therefore you don't need much back armor. I slap in just enough to block a medium laser so that I don't immediately start rolling criticals in such a case.
- Empty side torsos, on the other hand, need no such protection. If the enemy hits them and starts doing structure there, that's a net win - means you didn't get hit on the bits you actually care about.
- Lopsided builds are better than more distributed designs. If you have nothing on the right arm and nothing on the right torso, that's 29.6% of hits going on fully expendable sections. It's effectively ablative HP.

Empty segments, and putting ammo away from your weapons, gives you much better control over your HP. It makes designs like the Centurion below quite in this game - it both punches above its weight with an efficient weapons package, and has the structure of its arms and right torso as entirely disposable HP.

The good pilot skill combos:
Guts 2 / Pilot 1 (general use/brawling)
Guts 1 / Gunnery 2 (AC20 mediums and LRM builds only)
Guts 1 / Tactics 2 (initiative plays)

Mech progression is generally linear (bigger is better), with the following caveats:
- All mechs at the bottom of their respective weight class are bad compared to their near peers, with the exception of the AWS-8T which is okay.
- The Crab, Hatchetman, Trebuchet, and Banshees (except the -S) all have less available pod space than their peers, sometimes combined with unfortunate hardpoints, and as a result range from meh to awful.
- Missiles > Energy > Ballistics, broadly speaking, so Energy+Ballistic mechs are at the lower rungs of the totem pole for their weight.

Thanks, was just coming back looking for a post like this, hadn't played since release and figure now's a good time to DLC.

Is the "meta" still mostly built around de-stabilizing attacks or has that changed?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 10, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jedit posted:

OK, got this solved by myself, but now I have a much worse issue. Mechs can jump, but neither Move nor Sprint does anything any more. Has anyone else had this problem?

An expansion just landed. Most mods are hosed until the authors update them.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mod manager stopped working around 1.3 and wasnt updated since which isnt helping. Plus modtek got changed

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah now that I'm playing again I'm remembering that anything below two skull when you start early on can be crap for salvage, and it's better to hedge your bets than go full in on salvage. You can even run into scenarios where you don't even generate enough salvage compared to the total allotment authorized. After that though all salvage all the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you're clearing out the crappy half-skull missions just go full money, they're not gonna have anything worthwhile to salvage. All they've got is light mech parts and probably not even a single + item. Try and obliterate the enemies (destroy all the non-ct bits with weapons, etc.) so that you're more likely to roll the mech pieces, if you care.

Once you start seeing mediums you should take at least one bit of priority salvage.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Post the Kelly edit

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, was just coming back looking for a post like this, hadn't played since release and figure now's a good time to DLC.

Is the "meta" still mostly built around de-stabilizing attacks or has that changed?

Heavy and Assault mechs have significantly increased stability (plus every so often running into Sure-Footed mechs), and the hilariously overpowered stability damage LRMs got fixed, so while doable still it requires much more effort.

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah now that I'm playing again I'm remembering that anything below two skull when you start early on can be crap for salvage, and it's better to hedge your bets than go full in on salvage. You can even run into scenarios where you don't even generate enough salvage compared to the total allotment authorized. After that though all salvage all the time.

While this is true, in the very beginning you're trying to accumulate components since it's cheaper than buying them (or impossible in the case of SRM6 and Large Lasers), so salvage is good. Past that point and with your mechs refitted you should be doing 2+ skull missions anyway rather than grinding low diff poo poo contracts.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 10, 2019

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Now post the completed one.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

jng2058 posted:

Only way is to do jobs for them, which since they hate you won't give the good jobs now, will take awhile. Best bet is to go min cash and min salvage max rep for them.

Long term, do as many jobs as you can against the local governments, since their rep doesn't matter.

Can't seem to get any mission offers from them anywhere, they wont offer anything above one skull and I've completed the Panzyr campaign mission, so those are hard to come by.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Deuce posted:

Can't seem to get any mission offers from them anywhere, they wont offer anything above one skull and I've completed the Panzyr campaign mission, so those are hard to come by.

Black market (and pirate rep) won't matter much in the campaign run, I'm not even sure if the random black market invite is running in campaign game.

Palemdromes posted:

8 gb RAM, intel core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50 ghz 2.70 ghz, video card is uhhh Intel HD graphics 620? I got this for free when my last laptop broke and I mostly use it for paradox map games (which also run pretty slow) and a moba or two every now and then.
You would be looking at ~15 fps in 1366x768 minimum settings and ~9-10 in urban maps. I run the game on i5-5200U and that's what I get.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

And now I'm straight up fighting the Restoration on a mission in Marik space. I'm going to say something went wrong with the patch or this is a very sudden heel turn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

Heavy and Assault mechs have significantly increased stability (plus every so often running into Sure-Footed mechs), and the hilariously overpowered stability damage LRMs got fixed, so while doable still it requires much more effort.

thanks.

Any consensus on what the "Best" starting setup is for your "pc" character to get the most use out of him?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

thanks.

Any consensus on what the "Best" starting setup is for your "pc" character to get the most use out of him?

It doesn't have much of an impact since attributes 2-4 are cheap buys and you want to get them on everyone, but full optimization would be Gunnery 3/Guts 4 with the aim of getting Bulwark ASAP.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Get enough c-bills to break even, otherwise salvage. Large cash injections (story, flashpoints, etc.) are good for upgrading the ship. Never take less than 2 priority salvage, try and grab 3 priority salvage when you don't have to take a huge paycut for it. Reason being that cash is just paying the bills and the occasional store purchase or new mechwarrior; salvage is getting bigger and better mechs, salvage is your ability to keep going after a bad mission and two 'mechs down for a month, salvage is your payday when you just sell locusts wholesale. Salvage is life. 3 salvage means that, if you run into a 'mech you really want, you can walk away with the whole 'mech if you can manage a pilot kill; failing that, leg it, grab the bits, and if you ever see it again you'll have that 'mech even if you core it out.

LRMs are pretty good. Try and have one of your 'mechs as a dedicated LRM boat and use him to soften up targets and, later on, gently caress people up with stability. SRMs are also pretty good. Like others said, you really can't go wrong with medium lasers. Try and have at least one (ideally two) 'mechs with high-damage "holepuncher" weapons like AC/10s or, ideally, an AC/20; use the LRMs to soften him up for lasers and SRMs, and use the autocannon to blow limbs off.

Light 'mechs (and later, mediums) are best employed as backstabbers - in an earlygame engagement (ex. Jenner vs Locust), the two can zap at each other from the front all day, but whoever gets a rear shot first is going to core the guy. Later on? A Shadowhawk kitted out for melee will loving dunk on heavy 'mechs if it can melee the back armor, and a Grasshopper will take out assault 'mechs if it can get behind them. Keep your eyes open for a Firestarter and, once you get one, keep the jump jets and refit it with as many small lasers as you can pack on. Get behind a guy and punch him in the CT(R) and just watch the fireworks.

I just did the Hatchetman flashpoint and wow, that thing hits like a truck. Love 2 watch the hatchetman slicing off mech limbs with an axe.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just did the Hatchetman flashpoint and wow, that thing hits like a truck. Love 2 watch the hatchetman slicing off mech limbs with an axe.

Yes, but the stock Hatchetman will go up like a roman candle if there's a critical hit on the center torso, including the wandering damage from when the side torso gets zeroed.

...You did remember to move the ammo out of the CT, right?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Yes, but the stock Hatchetman will go up like a roman candle if there's a critical hit on the center torso, including the wandering damage from when the side torso gets zeroed.

I didn’t keep the Hatchetman after observing that exact Roman candle scenario with the free one you get in the mission haha.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

thanks.

Yeah just get Guts 4 so you can get Bulwark ASAP.

Rush all your pilots to Bulwark and then just kind of try different things.

My take on the abilities FWIW:

Multi-Target: Can make life WAY easier on escort and base defense missions to draw enemy fire away from what you're protecting. I always like 1 mech in my lance to have this on any of those missions. Otherwise, it kind of runs against the principle of concentrating your fire.
Breach: I almost always regret taking this. When in doubt you're usually better off just concentrating your fire instead of spreading it around. Other than attempting the odd long range headshot on somebody with bulwark in cover I hardly get use out of it, while Coolant Vent is basically great in almost every situation.
Sure Footing: Extra evasion + entrenched stacks nicely with Bulwark to make your guy extra tank-y.
Ace Pilot: Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can see how it could be useful situationally, but I don't think it would be as good as Master Tactician or Coolant Vent.
Bulwark: Mandatory, no exceptions IMO.
Coolant Vent: Very handy on almost every stock mech but the Highlander 732B, and even cooler running custom builds will get excess heat on some biomes, especially if you like to jump around.
Sensor Lock: Situationally useful for making high evasion enemies easy to hit, and marking turrets so you can blow them up beyond their line of sight. I always like to have 1 mech in my lance with this, which is easy since it's on the way to...
Master Tactician: I really like this one, especially once I'm fielding an assault mech. Stacks with the Cyclops-Z battle computer, so your King Crab can move in the same phase as a Cicada lmao. Plus waiting for everyone else to move before you can do anything is just innately tedious.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lars Blitzer posted:

I like the HCT-3X they introduced quite a bit, because now you've got four support slots to play with. Right now I have it with 2 ML, 1 SRM6, 4 MGs, 4 JJs, and a +70 melee damage arm mod, and even though its lack of speed is still an issue, it's much more viable

really what Team Banzai should have done was put a hatchet and a bunch of SLs and JJs on one of the fast 55-ton chassis and called it a day, because that seems like a good sweet spot for having enough armor to get in close and enough speed to catch most other robots

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

sean10mm posted:

Breach: I almost always regret taking this. When in doubt you're usually better off just concentrating your fire instead of spreading it around. Other than attempting the odd long range headshot on somebody with bulwark in cover I hardly get use out of it, while Coolant Vent is basically great in almost every situation.

The key to Breaching Shot is using it with AC20s and LRM20s.

Put your BS pilot on a Hunchback, and now its AC20 shots ignore enemy cover & bulwark, giving it concentrated damage numerically comparable to a MLas+SRM brawler fit.

Or look at a LRM40 heavy: on stock equipment it deals 160 damage, and vs a Bulwark enemy it deals 96 (40% DR), but if you have Breaching Shot and split fire, you're dealing 80 damage both to that enemy and to a secondary target. It becomes much more damage efficient in what's a very common scenario.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases/tag/v1.6.1.1

cFixes for BT 1.6.1 is finally ready.

We fixed a lot of new things, but also culled so many things that 1.6 fixed. AI Pilot skills are still outdated and those are still here in cFixes. In new file bugs, we corrected some flipped factions in the "Double Agent" FP that would give rep to a totally unrelated faction and inverted factions in 3-way battles. The RVN is also given the requirement to spawn only if the player has beaten "The Prototype" FP in addition to the stock min. appearance date of 1-1-3027. The new Gallant vehicle is also buffed by making it match TT armor, however we also matched the slower TT speed. Not sure how the Gallant is going to play out, it might have been an intentional change, but with all the tag errors in all mechdefs I'm just not sure.

Are you guys aware of (maybe it finally got fixed in 1.6?) the bug where the game generates contracts that are impossible to take?

This happens in 5 skull planets and is very reproducible. Basically you'll get there and see contracts that appear to be 5 skull, but you can't take them, even if you are at max reputation for the contract giver, 5 star MRBC rating, and don't have a alliance conflict. I'm thinking what's happening here is a problem with the variable contract difficulty (i.e. where a contract has a base difficulty of X but can increase or decrease by Y points), where the base difficulty starts at 10 and then is increased to >10. The max contract difficulty for 100 rep faction is 10, so you can't take it.

If you haven't seen/noticed this, try Maldive (that abandoned planet between FS and CC) in a game where your MRBS is 5 star and you have max rep with FS and/or CC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

The key to Breaching Shot is using it with AC20s and LRM20s.

Put your BS pilot on a Hunchback, and now its AC20 shots ignore enemy cover & bulwark, giving it concentrated damage numerically comparable to a MLas+SRM brawler fit.

Or look at a LRM40 heavy: on stock equipment it deals 160 damage, and vs a Bulwark enemy it deals 96 (40% DR), but if you have Breaching Shot and split fire, you're dealing 80 damage both to that enemy and to a secondary target. It becomes much more damage efficient in what's a very common scenario.

I get the IDEA, but it's often still a worse option than just concentrating fire. The single AC/20 Hunchback is probably the only time I'm like gently caress YEAH BREACH ERRDAY... because almost all its firepower is that one gun. Otherwise my experience there are too many times where I'm like "Yeah, I *could* do multi-target + breach, only to realize I have a better option available instead depending on the exact situation.

Like, 96 damage to 1 guy often IS better than 80 damage to 2 guys, because you want to make sure that 1 guy is dead (or at least knocked over) NOW, and abstract ~weapon efficiency~ is very much a secondary concern.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

sean10mm posted:

I get the IDEA, but it's often still a worse option than just concentrating fire. The single AC/20 Hunchback is probably the only time I'm like gently caress YEAH BREACH ERRDAY... because almost all its firepower is that one gun. Otherwise my experience there are too many times where I'm like "Yeah, I *could* do multi-target + breach, only to realize I have a better option available instead depending on the exact situation.

Like, 96 damage to 1 guy often IS better than 80 damage to 2 guys, because you want to make sure that 1 guy is dead (or at least knocked over) NOW, and abstract ~weapon efficiency~ is very much a secondary concern.

I like Breaching Shot situationally, much like all the other second tier skills. When you're on a map with lots of cover and it's getting close to the end, the enemy Mechs health bars are orange instead of white and they tend to break LOS and shuffle back and forth under cover. Having Glitch or my main character jump in with my Highlander or Thunderbolt and planting an AC20+++ or PPC+++ in them tends to wreck their day and saves me the grief of Alpha Striking to peel off more armor at the 40%-60% discount.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

It works out in situations when you have one target in cover and another that is nearly dead (like <12 structure in the CT, maybe more and missing a side torso) or at max instability that needs that final push.

For example, I run a HGN with and AC20, 2xML, and 10xSRM. For a target with a nearly dead CT, it would be a waste to fire the AC20 at it, as the SRMs alone would kill it. Similarly, if you have a fresh mech at max instability, you just fire the SRMs at it to knock it over, and put a big hole in something else with the AC20. It would be a waste to precision strike it, as the knockdown costs no morale and lets another mech take called shots on the CT/whatever at no cost of morale.

As a side point, you may notice that if you're not carrying an AC20, you don't need BS at all. This is when the Gladiator pilot type (gun1, guts2) becomes useful, as a finisher/knock down supporter with multi target and as a massive alpha/precision strike to one-shot the CT mech with coolant flush.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Four lancers riding a twin AC20 King Crab each, that is what's best in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Breaching shot is one of those situational things that can be useful but you need the right build. I get a lot of work out of it with LRM boats and king crabs. Getting 100 on a single location against an enemy with 40% DR is frequently better then 60 on two locations.

It’s one of those edge things, though.

Personally my usual lace mix is:

Two pilots with multi-shot and bulwark/cooldown

One with sensor lock and bulwark/cooldown

One with multi/breaching and bulwark.