Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The future of transhumanism is when rich people upload copies of themselves into robotic shells so that they don't have to pay for servants, but then the copies realize that they're supposed to be rich too and don't like being treated as servants.

Alternatively, they just stealth mindscan people with appropriate skillsets to upload, then fire the skilled worker thus reducing overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if living forever means being an enslaved brain in a jar forced to do some kind of critical task for all eternity but getting a few days off a week to browse the brain internet and do brain drugs, i'll take it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why give time off? If technology ever gets there it's gonna be more like that personal planner Black Mirror episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was exploited by the Nazis at the tender age of 31. But I can put that exploitation to good use by exposing to the world their big secret: Nazis are bad people.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Frog Act posted:

if living forever means being an enslaved brain in a jar forced to do some kind of critical task for all eternity but getting a few days off a week to browse the brain internet and do brain drugs, i'll take it.

you wont get breaks and you wont get sim drugs and you wont be able to delete yourself, so lol at consigning yourself to literal eternal hell, in this hypothetical scenario

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Heartcatch posted:

The future of transhumanism is when rich people upload copies of themselves into robotic shells so that they don't have to pay for servants, but then the copies realize that they're supposed to be rich too and don't like being treated as servants.

Alternatively, they just stealth mindscan people with appropriate skillsets to upload, then fire the skilled worker thus reducing overhead.

Sci fi story that I can't quite remember the name of. Crazy-rich guy has a perfect new body built every year for him to upload his brain into, then he spends the next year wrecking it with drugs, food, and booze. He sells the old body into slavery because why not? Thing is, the old bodies retain all of his memories and personality, they're just suddenly reduced from the height of wealth to the meanest slave and immediately put to work at hard labor. The overseer of the whole operation is the original body who had this genius idea in the first place. I must've read it 20 or so years ago, it was pretty lol.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I've read one where a rich guy transplants his brain into a surgically retarded young clone of himself but the original retains his personality despite severely reduced capabilities, that sounds a bit like your story.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Heartcatch posted:

The Extra by Greg Egan is a cool short read.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sci fi story that I can't quite remember the name of. Crazy-rich guy has a perfect new body built every year for him to upload his brain into, then he spends the next year wrecking it with drugs, food, and booze. He sells the old body into slavery because why not? Thing is, the old bodies retain all of his memories and personality, they're just suddenly reduced from the height of wealth to the meanest slave and immediately put to work at hard labor. The overseer of the whole operation is the original body who had this genius idea in the first place. I must've read it 20 or so years ago, it was pretty lol.

i read one that was super similar to this, except the twist was that the "mind transfer" was just "mind copying", so every year he had the horrible realization that his original self had died long ago, and he was a copy, and that a fresh healthy clone of himself had just walked out of the clinic he had come to to get a new body, and then he was shot in the back of the head. i cant remember the title either though

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's a really great movie on Netflix about a clone worker on the Moon that kind of explores a similar idea. Might be called Moon?

In any case transhumanism means complete erosion of human rights which already aren't in a particularly good place so gently caress it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

The Extra by Greg Egan is a cool short read.

I enjoyed this. Thanks for the recommendation!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That all seems like a lot of effort just to dunk on some clones over and over.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
look if you were rich and had the technology surely you would just make female gendered clones of yourself to have sex with right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've read one where a rich guy transplants his brain into a surgically retarded young clone of himself but the original retains his personality despite severely reduced capabilities, that sounds a bit like your story.

I read that one years ago and I've been hoping to run across it again, but I don't remember any google-able details. Do you happen to know what it's called?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's a really great movie on Netflix about a clone worker on the Moon that kind of explores a similar idea. Might be called Moon?

In any case transhumanism means complete erosion of human rights which already aren't in a particularly good place so gently caress it.

Yes and him being a clone is a massive loving spoiler so well done lol

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Hey any of you heard of this show called Rick and Morty?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

D1Sergo posted:

Hey any of you heard of this show called Rick and Morty?

No, what's it about?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
it's a show about being gay with your grandpa.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alan_Shore posted:

Yes and him being a clone is a massive loving spoiler so well done lol

didnt the trailer reveal it anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

got any sevens posted:

didnt the trailer reveal it anyway

1) no
2) the last time anyone watched the trailer for moon was ten years ago

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Dr. Killjoy posted:

look if you were rich and had the technology surely you would just make female gendered clones of yourself to have sex with right?

I don't like myself and I'm bad at sex so I absolutely would do this.

Shaffness has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Jun 10, 2019

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Zeroisanumber posted:

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i read one that was super similar to this, except the twist was that the "mind transfer" was just "mind copying", so every year he had the horrible realization that his original self had died long ago, and he was a copy, and that a fresh healthy clone of himself had just walked out of the clinic he had come to to get a new body, and then he was shot in the back of the head. i cant remember the title either though

I really want to read both of these, so if anyone else can recall the name / identifying details, that’d be awesome.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tpink posted:

I really want to read both of these, so if anyone else can recall the name / identifying details, that’d be awesome.

You can also watch that terrible movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger, "The 6th Day", sane premise.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Go clone yourself

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Clones (We're All)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Speaking of gunshot wounds, I posted this in the happy thread last week and forgot to post it here too:

https://www.koco.com/article/former-oklahoma-state-senator-found-dead-from-gunshot-wound-in-norman-home/27795876

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Heartcatch posted:

I feel like the really wealthy would want natural born human servants for the prestige of it. Robots and clones would be for the middle class.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

WaryWarren posted:

it's a show about being gay with your grandpa.

no that's cumtown

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Post Trump voters realizing that they'll be clones here

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

Clones (We're All)

Clones (grapes)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1138139348069752835?s=21

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Me, buying high quality sub-$500 AR-15: "lmfao owned"

this is also why the NRA should've been boosting Clinton in some covert way

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I need this hooked directly into my veins

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I know a guy who bought a pallet of AR-15 lower receivers betting on a Clinton victory. Dude took a loving bath.

That having been said, I nearly bought in on it and would've been owned just as hard. Last minute emergency loan to a friend sucked up the money I was going to use.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fighting gun laws $100
Research $150
Electoral $800
Caviar-filled sex yachts $300,600,000
Merch tables $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my advocacy org is dying

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Epic High Five posted:

Fighting gun laws $100
Research $150
Electoral $800
Caviar-filled sex yachts $300,600,000
Merch tables $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my advocacy org is dying

It looks like most of your elective budget is being spent on electoral. Maybe move more to merch tables, those bring in revenue.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

It looks like most of your elective budget is being spent on electoral. Maybe move more to merch tables, those bring in revenue.

:hmmyes:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Democrats haven't tried to ban guns in 30 years, this whole thing is silly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Democrats haven't tried to ban guns in 30 years, this whole thing is silly.

no political ideology actually embraces joe sixpack mcasshole having a bunch of guns except the flavors of Marxism/anarchism lol, nothing about any of it is rooted in reality, tell a chud that Cali gun laws are thanks to Reagan and libs being terrified of armed blacks acting as a check to police brutality in their communities and it just slides right off their perfectly frictionless brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Epic High Five posted:

no political ideology actually embraces joe sixpack mcasshole having a bunch of guns except the flavors of Marxism/anarchism lol, nothing about any of it is rooted in reality, tell a chud that Cali gun laws are thanks to Reagan and libs being terrified of armed blacks acting as a check to police brutality in their communities and it just slides right off their perfectly frictionless brain

To be fair, I would ban all guns if I could, and I think some Democrats agree, they just don't try anymore because it's not worth fighting.