Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Since there's nothing special about the wafers themselves, why don't they use something that tastes better? Like white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. It would still be the body of christ

The monks in the monastery where my father was going for the eucharist where using some super sweet unleavened bread, and my great uncle who was also a priest was using party crackers for the eucharist when he was doing his yearly family BBQ.

He was also a nuclear physicist. I was really disappointed growing up when I realized that even if a lot of priests and monks are actually very smart and liberal, they have to deal with a lot of superstition and tradition (and also a lot of people joined their rank because they want some redemption because they are pedophiles or gays or alcoholics)

Well that was my story that the body of christ can absolutely be a party cracker if the priest is ok with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Having at one point been on the inside, your perception isn't wrong. There's a reason "recovered Catholic" is an expression people use.

I recovered from Catholicism so hard that I'm a Satanist now*

* not really, not in the religious sense of actually believing in and worshiping a supernatural devil, but the Satanic Temple is extremely my poo poo because:

Basically they advocate for social justice and the betterment of society while trolling the poo poo out of humorless conservatives.

It owns.

So you're basically Gilfoyle from Silicon Valley then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the Satanic Temple were all fart-huffing liberals.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I wish satanists would also make some delicious beers and cheese instead of always thinking about gothic clothes and baphomet statues. Like I understand it's important to have a conterweight to religious dogma, but satanists can't even exist on their own, they need religious people to justify their existence. That's a bit sad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Don't forget that there are Catholics so reactionary that they believe that the last few Popes are illegitimate

I’m pretty sure this is one of the least new features of the Catholic church tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is it bad that this is hilarious?

Ok, but like...

How bad?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Now photoshop them into military uniforms and make it a joke about fish oil.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I wish satanists would also make some delicious beers and cheese instead of always thinking about gothic clothes and baphomet statues. Like I understand it's important to have a conterweight to religious dogma, but satanists can't even exist on their own, they need religious people to justify their existence. That's a bit sad.

That's an odd vantage point. That's like saying MLK was sad because he needs racism to justify his existing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jamesman posted:

Now photoshop them into military uniforms and make it a joke about fish oil.

Wonder what animal grouping would be called a "theater"

On that horrible note, have some actual funny stuff :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYQCB3v_xj4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1137815377784725505

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Bananana posted:

Is it bad that this is hilarious?

Ok, but like...

How bad?

We already live in hell, you're good.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

A page back, but this literally happened to me once. I was lured in by a really amazing baritone singing a cappella, and then they closed the doors. I'm now convinced that the doors of churches are intentionally made to open and close as loudly as possible, so that no one can leave without it being really awkward.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Listen if you transubstantiate something that leaves crumbs you’re gonna have bits of the son of God all over your chapel. That’s hella rude, no two ways about it. Gonna leave the body of Jesus to get moldy in the piles of your carpet, smdh.

Catholic mass is designed around this. You're supposed to put the whole host in your mouth before chewing. Then after they're done with everyone they clean out the holders to make sure there's not crumbs.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

muscles like this! posted:

Catholic mass is designed around this. You're supposed to put the whole host in your mouth before chewing. Then after they're done with everyone they clean out the holders to make sure there's not crumbs.

*goes to mass*
*grinds and snorts host*

HOLY poo poo, I'M SO loving SAVED RIGHT NOW!

WOOOO!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

dee eight posted:

*goes to mass*
*grinds and snorts host*

HOLY poo poo, I'M SO loving SAVED RIGHT NOW!

WOOOO!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honestly as insanely corrupt and pedophile infested as the Catholic Church is the protestants aren't really much better.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
And everyone just sort of forgets about the Episcopalians...the Bob Ross of religions. "And I'm going to put a happy little miracle right here."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People still love the old hellfire and brimstone

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
best to just abandon our gods and surrender to bloodshed imo

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

anonumos posted:

And everyone just sort of forgets about the Episcopalians...the Bob Ross of religions. "And I'm going to put a happy little miracle right here."
Leaving the Catholic Church for the Episcopal Church is one of the absolute best things I ever did.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Parrotine posted:

So you're basically Gilfoyle from Silicon Valley then

Gilfoyle is a LaVeyan Satanist. LaVeyan Satanism is the one that's all libertarian fart-huffers.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Do you want (supplic)ants, Lana? Because that’s how you get (supplic)ants!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I thought the Satanic Temple were all fart-huffing liberals.

I think that’s the Church of Satan

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The fat Buddha you see in a bunch of restaurants and stuff is actually Budai, a 10th century Chinese monk. He's become a symbol of good fortune, and is believed to be Maitreya Buddha, the next Buddha of this world. :eng101:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The Church of Satan was founded by Anton Levay, and it's just Libertarians who wear black. They're terrible.

The Satanic Temple was founded as a church and sate separation protest group, and is pretty good.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The fat Buddha you see in a bunch of restaurants and stuff is actually Budai, a 10th century Chinese monk. He's become a symbol of good fortune, and is believed to be Maitreya Buddha, the next Buddha of this world. :eng101:

what does his dick taste like

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The church of Satan is a weird mix of people pushing back against very obvious 1st amendment violations, hardcore libertarians convinced that society is using religion to hold straight white male job creators back, and straight up neo-nazis obsessed with the occult.

The weirdest part of Christianity to me is that there are multiple Christian denominations in America that are technically under the authority of Queen Elizabeth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Former DILF posted:

what does his dick taste like

Sweet & Sour Boneless Pork.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

rodbeard posted:

The church of Satan is a weird mix of people pushing back against very obvious 1st amendment violations, hardcore libertarians convinced that society is using religion to hold straight white male job creators back, and straight up neo-nazis obsessed with the occult.

The weirdest part of Christianity to me is that there are multiple Christian denominations in America that are technically under the authority of Queen Elizabeth.

The Church of Satan and the Satanic Temple are completely different organizations. The former being goth Libertarians and the latter being more woke and trollish. Not sure where the nazis fit in exactly, but I expect they take it more seriously.

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!

rodbeard posted:

Queen Elizabeth is the head of the Anglican Church, which is only one of the many Protestant denominations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Finally, as a man, I have a chance at loving the Babadook.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

Finally, as a man, I have a chance at loving the Babadook.

are you just now finding out that the babadook is a gay icon?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

YES

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Former DILF posted:

are you just now finding out that the babadook is a gay icon?

I didn't know he was officially out. Last I saw he was still chasing women.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sweet & Sour Boneless Pork.

gently caress ME UP FAM

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Why is he a gay icon?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Why is he a gay icon?

Netflix hosed up and put it in the LGBTQ category. Gay people have since ran with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiggityDoink posted:

Netflix hosed up and put it in the LGBTQ category. Gay people have since ran with it.

There's also some "jokes" about how the babadook basically is an allegory of being a closeted queer person.