Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

If we are counting from top-left clockwise (which is what I think we did last time?) keep 1,2, and 4.
This seems to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Throw them all out. Vegetables are not food. Food eats vegetables, Man eats food. Consume only flesh.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keep
1: 6
2: 6
3: 2
4: 5

Throw Away
1: 1
2: 1
3: 1
4: 1

Because every plant got more yeas than nays, we're keeping everything! Here's what you got:

Everyone knows sunflowers! They provide edible seeds that (in sufficient amounts) can be ground into flour.

The berries were chokecherries. They were an important part of some Native American diets and can be made into jam or syrup, but they're naturally rather bitter and astringent unless you add plenty of sugar.

In a sudden swerve, that leafy green was henbane! This is a poisonous member of the nightshade family commonly added to brews for psychoactive purposes, as in non-deadly doses it can cause hallucinations. We'll see who gets to eat this stuff!

Our final plant is buttercup. Befitting the Powerpuff Girl, it's also toxic. Most people don't eat very much because it tastes awful and causes blistering in the mouth.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Does scurvy exist in this game? The trip takes way more than long enough for it to develop.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Montegoraon posted:

Does scurvy exist in this game? The trip takes way more than long enough for it to develop.

There's enough vitamin C in berries and leafy greens that it isn't really an issue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Montegoraon posted:

I believe you can get scurvy or beriberi from lack of nutrients, as well as a morale drop.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

chitoryu12 posted:

Keep
1: 6
2: 6
3: 2
4: 5

Throw Away
1: 1
2: 1
3: 1
4: 1

Because every plant got more yeas than nays, we're keeping everything! Here's what you got:

Everyone knows sunflowers! They provide edible seeds that (in sufficient amounts) can be ground into flour.

The berries were chokecherries. They were an important part of some Native American diets and can be made into jam or syrup, but they're naturally rather bitter and astringent unless you add plenty of sugar.

In a sudden swerve, that leafy green was henbane! This is a poisonous member of the nightshade family commonly added to brews for psychoactive purposes, as in non-deadly doses it can cause hallucinations. We'll see who gets to eat this stuff!

Our final plant is buttercup. Befitting the Powerpuff Girl, it's also toxic. Most people don't eat very much because it tastes awful and causes blistering in the mouth.

Wait, you're not counting votes for only keeping certain plants as votes against the ones to not keep? So someone has to explicitly say 'keep 1, 2, 4, throw away 3'?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Eopia posted:

Wait, you're not counting votes for only keeping certain plants as votes against the ones to not keep? So someone has to explicitly say 'keep 1, 2, 4, throw away 3'?
Yeah, I thought when I was quoting the “keep 1,2,4” that meant 3 was being left.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, I thought when I was quoting the “keep 1,2,4” that meant 3 was being left.

As did I.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

All I know of Buttercups is that you really shouldn't confuse them for cups of butter. :v:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

I fail to see the downside to this. :colbert: :shroom:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look at these wimps. Eat your greens, Bobby, I don't care what your lips feel like.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
You can get scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and beriberi (vitamin B1 deficiency), but I've never been clear if the game tracks specific food items and their nutritional value, or if it's just "fruits prevent scurvy, veggies prevent beriberi". I suspect the latter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eopia posted:

I had counted only specific statements to throw away plants as such because the game actually differentiates between "throw away" and "not pick". I can count any general rejection as throwing away in the future.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Does that have a significance? Like, if you pick something and then throw it away, does it maybe give you a rash?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vavrek posted:

Does that have a significance? Like, if you pick something and then throw it away, does it maybe give you a rash?

As far as I can tell the game doesn't actually change anything depending on whether you throw it away or just not pick it. It's just giving you extra options for....reasons?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We travel a surprising distance without any problems from the plants, suggesting that we got lucky this time.

Dust storm? gently caress it. The South Platte River is only 6 inches deeper than it was last time, so we'll take the same option to ford--

gently caress.

Well, at least the California Hill was one we traversed easily by double-teaming.

Now we're on the downward section, and locking the wheels got us tipped last time. Anyone want to try something different?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The hill “doesn’t look very steep”. Just continue down normally, no need to get fancy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Anchors away!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MagusofStars posted:

The hill “doesn’t look very steep”. Just continue down normally, no need to get fancy.

I like this idea.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Last time was just a fluke.

Lock ‘em again!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

Agreed.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

This run has a vendetta against our use of coffee. Continue down au naturale.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Go commando.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

gently caress.

Why do we keep losing coffee gear?!

Continue down the hill normally. Normally, though undercaffeinated.

fake edit: also, I just noticed that we can ask for advice while our wagon is on its side in the middle of the river.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Can we make it a standing order to always ask for advice? Like any good goon-wagon, we should paralyse ourselves with a million different opinions before ignoring them all and doing something dumb.

(Also, I wanna see what the game has to say.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lofi posted:

Can we make it a standing order to always ask for advice? Like any good goon-wagon, we should paralyse ourselves with a million different opinions before ignoring them all and doing something dumb.

(Also, I wanna see what the game has to say.)

Sure! I'll do the first advice given, as you can ask 2 or 3 people at each point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Continuing like there isn't a hill actually works! We make it past Courthouse, Jail, and Chimney Rocks.

Let's get some advice first!

Not all advice is the best possible solution. Don’t be quick to rely on it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That guy can't even coordinate his clothing and accessories and we're supposed to take medical advice from him? I don't think so!

Buddy can rest when he's dead - continue as usual. Also, why don't we have any condiments?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Increase Fluid Intake. No slowing down, just chug more water, coffee, and whisky.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I once did a playthrough administering vinegar every time somebody had a cold. It worked surprisingly well.

In this case though, just walk it off.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Make them walk behind as we carry on as normal. Don't want to spread the plague!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

UED Special Ops posted:

Increase Fluid Intake. No slowing down, just chug more water, coffee, and whisky.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

UED Special Ops posted:

Gotta drink it before it ends up on a hillside or in a river!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Suzaku posted:

Gotta drink it before it ends up on a hillside or in a river!

:hmmyes:

The key to health is clean drinking. Increase fluid intake, use water/coffee/whiskey to lube up the body's internals.

Is there an option to arbitrary apply whiskey (or laudanum?) at any time?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

lofi posted:

Make them walk behind as we carry on as normal. Don't want to spread the plague!

This. Don't give it attention and it'll go away!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We continue on. Meaty Ore can suck it up.

At 612 miles, I note the warning that we have no meat. Our food situation is pretty dire, but there's still plenty of game around. Hopefully we can sustain ourselves on hunting and foraging until we reach a settlement....if there is one nearby in 1840.

Our gunpowder was lost in one of the accidents, forcing us to trade a wagon tongue for a barrel.

With some excellent luck we manage to snag a bear, getting us almost 200 pounds of fresh meat!

Hopefully we can make Meaty Ore chipper up and forget his pneumonia with a bear steak.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:rip: It's in God's hands now. Continue on as usual.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I can't believe Meaty Ore is loving dead.

You know how we can keep the patient warm and dry? March onward, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This guy sure does complain a lot. Keeping them cold and wet will help fortify their constitution and the immune system, so let's do that.