Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm in that same dead zone between ARR and HW and now I'm just trying to barrel through and ignore any and all sidequests and even Feature Quests to get to the good stuff. Except I also ended up starting the Hildy quest line and I don't know what's happening or how long it's going to take but I cannot and will not stop doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you're doing the right thing

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Truga posted:

you're doing the right thing

It feels right.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Never not do Hildibrand quests. You also get awesome emotes and dances from them. I'm excited for my friends to hit 50 so I can start them on the Hildy quests.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Boooo

Is there any sort of benefit to switching classes halfway and like, starting to turn in quests as a MCH or something? Because they give great exp right now but I am out leveling them.

You can only turn in a quest on a class that is at least as high as the quest level. So if your MCH is at least 50 (or wherever you are in the MSQ) then sure. If you do all of the MSQ on one class then you will be way overleveled, so if you want to split it up you can.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Joining the SAM posting bandwagon

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
How was the general reception of the Stormblood post 4.0 story? I played through the 4.0 story on launch and while not as good as HW, I still liked it. I had to stop soon after due to extensive work travel for a year and I'm just getting back into it. So far all the patches have been pretty dull so far.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

funkymonks posted:

How was the general reception of the Stormblood post 4.0 story? I played through the 4.0 story on launch and while not as good as HW, I still liked it. I had to stop soon after due to extensive work travel for a year and I'm just getting back into it. So far all the patches have been pretty dull so far.

I liked it up to Under the Moonlight. Some nice redemption for some characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

funkymonks posted:

I liked 4.1 dealing with the reconstruction of Ala Mhigo. The Doma parts of 4.X I've found pretty dull, and I downright hated Under the Moonlight.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Under the Moonlight owned for giving us one of the best trails this expansion, along with a rocking theme :colbert: Every 4.x patch had something amazing, IMO, whether trial, dungeon or 24-man.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I've already forgotten most of the SB and post-SB story stuff minus the very end parts but I loving loved everything about the Tactics and Omega raids. That was all great.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

rantmo posted:

I'm in that same dead zone between ARR and HW and now I'm just trying to barrel through and ignore any and all sidequests and even Feature Quests to get to the good stuff. Except I also ended up starting the Hildy quest line and I don't know what's happening or how long it's going to take but I cannot and will not stop doing them.

The Hildebrand quests are the actual game, the MSQ exists as a gating mechanism to prevent you from being overwhelmed by the splendorous magnificence of Hildebrand Manderville.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Some days I think that I'm the only person on this forum that doesn't like Hildebrand.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
4.x story was blah all the way around, though it had it's moments and was certainly better than 4.0. The lead-in to Shadowbringers has been incredibly rear end though, with the exception of Varis and Solus who are killing it in terms of being antagonists I really want to shank, so I remain hopeful. Just some real A+ hammy monologuing.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Prism posted:

Some days I think that I'm the only person on this forum that doesn't like Hildebrand.

I didnt like it either. I never finished them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Failboattootoot posted:

4.x story was blah all the way around, though it had it's moments and was certainly better than 4.0. The lead-in to Shadowbringers has been incredibly rear end though, with the exception of Varis and Solus who are killing it in terms of being antagonists I really want to shank, so I remain hopeful. Just some real A+ hammy monologuing.

I think Stormblood's antagonists have all been on the meh side except Fordola. She's the one Garlean bad guy to date who I think actually pulled off the morally ambiguous and deeply conflicted villain-or-maybe-ally thing with. Far and away my favorite new character from Stormblood.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got to the "Grand Sires" segment of Hilde and some of it just slayed me.

The dragoon ascending to the heavens during his jump, the little heals when they're walking it off ... the text when you get finished taking the armor from the old guy implying you're just leaving him for dead, and the armor item being described as "smelling like garlic" and the pants having "old grey mare ain't what she used to be."

I wish my War could have that giant frying pan.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

funkymonks posted:

I liked it since it examines what happens after the revolution. There's some good rebuilding plotlines in there. The events around Ghimlyt Dark have some rad cutscenes. I do think it ends weird, like I was expecting some plotlines to be resolved and wasn't expecting others to be so pressing. The transition from HW to SB felt smoother to me than from SB to ShB, but I'm still hype for early access.

*edit - SB Hildibrand ends on a strong note

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

funkymonks posted:

I'd say "mixed" is the best way to put it. I didn't enjoy it as much as 3.X, principally because it spent way, way too much time in Doma for my tastes (2 1/2 patches worth) and lacked a strong central character arc to follow. I don't consider the WoL to be the true protagonist of the story, due to the ambiguous motivations and limited growth they have to write to allow for the player to read in their own interpretation. They're the viewpoint character, and the consequence of that is that you need other characters to fulfill the role of the protagonist as a narrative driving force. Alphinaud fulfilled that role in 3.X, but 4.X lacks anyone along those same lines. Alisaie is the closest you get, but she isn't there for every patch, and doesn't have the same strong hook that her brother did. There's nothing to anchor the story, and it consequently felt like I was wandering around aimlessly, watching events that lacked any real stakes or grounding.

Cythereal posted:

I think Stormblood's antagonists have all been on the meh side except Fordola. She's the one Garlean bad guy to date who I think actually pulled off the morally ambiguous and deeply conflicted villain-or-maybe-ally thing with. Far and away my favorite new character from Stormblood.

I also fully admit that a lot of my distaste is due to how quickly they threw Fordola on the bus after 4.1. I thought she was vastly more interesting as a villain protagonist than Yotsuyu. Having two full patches devoted solely to the latter's story and then not even hearing a peep from the former (save for a single short story on their website) felt like a massive waste of potential.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 10, 2019

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Am I doing this right?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Massive waste of potential is the entirety of Ala Mhigo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hildibrand is real good. I just completed the final SB portion and it was great. Doing Kugane Ohashi was a pain because unlocking it is so deep into the optional questline not a lot of people unlocked it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxyclean posted:

I got to the "Grand Sires" segment of Hilde and some of it just slayed me.

The dragoon ascending to the heavens during his jump, the little heals when they're walking it off ... the text when you get finished taking the armor from the old guy implying you're just leaving him for dead, and the armor item being described as "smelling like garlic" and the pants having "old grey mare ain't what she used to be."

I wish my War could have that giant frying pan.

All I want is a way to change the giant energy sword on melee LB1/2 into Godbert's hammer.

Maybe as a GSM 100 capstone skill.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just didn't find Yotsuyu's story compelling at because it was super-clear what every single storybeat was going to be since the end of 4.0 and the large amount of screentime she got felt like the story was spinning its wheels until the inevitable Primal fight.

Fordola is way more compelling as a counterpart to Lyse who tried to live within and influence the system and got mercilessly beaten down first by the fact that no, Ala Mhigo was never going to be seen as anything other than a savage land to be colonised by the Imperials, and then secondly by Lyse who actually achieved what they both wanted and now she has to find a way to live with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

I just didn't find Yotsuyu's story compelling at because it was super-clear what every single storybeat was going to be since the end of 4.0 and the large amount of screentime she got felt like the story was spinning its wheels until the inevitable Primal fight.

Fordola is way more compelling as a counterpart to Lyse who tried to live within and influence the system and got mercilessly beaten down first by the fact that no, Ala Mhigo was never going to be seen as anything other than a savage land to be colonised by the Imperials, and then secondly by Lyse who actually achieved what they both wanted and now she has to find a way to live with that.

This is pretty hindsight considering people spent most of the prepatch complaining the exact opposite and even arguing there was no way they'd kill her off. Complete with people arguing she deserved death and it was unfair for her to get any redemption

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Tsuyu deserved better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

This is pretty hindsight considering people spent most of the prepatch complaining the exact opposite and even arguing there was no way they'd kill her off. Complete with people arguing she deserved death and it was unfair for her to get any redemption

Eh, I agree wholeheartedly with Pierson. I think Yotsuyu's story should have ended with Doma Castle.

I think Ala Mhigo's part of Stormblood's story arc was executed much better than Doma's. Most characters in the Ala Mhigo story have character arcs and development where I found the Doma bunch to be pretty static, and I felt that Ala Mhigo did a much better job wrestling with the ambiguities and costs of the Garlean occupation, the failed attempts to fight back, and the new would-be liberators. Doma felt like the developers backing off hard from the grim, ambiguous, and bleak setting of Ala Mhigo in favor of a more traditional heroic fantasy.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I ended up really liking how they handled Yotsuyu in the end.

Because I though for sure she was going to get a redemption arc and I definitely didn't want her to because she was a monster. I think her background did a good job of contextualizing why she hated Doma so much, and I like that they didn't really use that background to try and absolve her. I thought it was fitting that in the end she went out still a giant rear end in a top hat, but she did get her revenge on the 3 people who needed it most. I am similarly not a fan of what they seem to be trying to do with Gaius so far because never give fascists an inch.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Amnesia is a pretty lazy plot device, but I won't complain too much because the resulting trial was an impressive spectacle of a fight. Better than the Four Lords anyway, though they were fine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought Under the Moonlight was melodramatic. Yotsuyu and Gosetsu just didn't hit me in the intended ways as characters. That being said, I really liked Stormblood.

Vermain posted:

I don't consider the WoL to be the true protagonist of the story, due to the ambiguous motivations and limited growth they have to write to allow for the player to read in their own interpretation.

I think because I don't agree with this. Stormblood worked overtime to give your character all these dialogue choices and cutscenes specifically where you just hang out with 1 or 2 characters. It felt to me like after ARR and HW established a world, SB1 felt comfortable attaching your character to it. I think of scenes like Alisaie going back to talk to the little kobold baby. Sure, that moment is about Alisaie's character. However, it doesn't work if the WoL is just a blank slate standing idly by. She's on the verge of a meltdown and the WoL catches her. That conveyed some kind of agency to me.

Iunno, I'm the weirdo who likes Stormblood's MSQ more than Heavensward's. You can't take me seriously.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I ended up really liking how they handled Yotsuyu in the end.

Because I though for sure she was going to get a redemption arc and I definitely didn't want her to because she was a monster. I think her background did a good job of contextualizing why she hated Doma so much, and I like that they didn't really use that background to try and absolve her. I thought it was fitting that in the end she went out still a giant rear end in a top hat, but she did get her revenge on the 3 people who needed it most. I am similarly not a fan of what they seem to be trying to do with Gaius so far because never give fascists an inch.

Interactions with Gaius were already tense and the warrior of light is becoming the warrior of darkness. If that involves anything to do with aligning with Zodiark out of necessity he could easily roll around to being an enemy again especially with how single-minded his revenge campaign is portrayed to be.

Magil Zeal posted:

Amnesia is a pretty lazy plot device, but I won't complain too much because the resulting trial was an impressive spectacle of a fight. Better than the Four Lords anyway, though they were fine.

Amnesia in this case is used as a way to give the player a window into who Yotsuyu could have been, intended to emphasize that while she cannot escape who she is in the end she was led there by circumstances outside her control. Yotsuyu in addition to being a character in her own right also represents the specter of Doma's past that must be exorcised to move on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

However, it doesn't work if the WoL is just a blank slate standing idly by. She's on the verge of a meltdown and the WoL catches her. That conveyed some kind of agency to me.

I feel that that scene didn't work because the WoL is a cipher. Why does Alisae look up to the WoL? Who knows, the game's not telling. Everyone just sort of vaguely likes or dislikes the WoL for no particular reason.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, most of the Yotsuyu story of 4.x was pretty uninteresting, unsurprisingly really, though I think exploring the guilt question was an okay thing to do with it (given the premise that she was coming back at all, which was a little disappointing).
But I did like that they had the guts to not redeem her and instead have the ending be "everyone was a villain, and now they're dead".

Also, the boss fight was cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I feel that that scene didn't work because the WoL is a cipher. Why does Alisae look up to the WoL? Who knows, the game's not telling. Everyone just sort of vaguely likes or dislikes the WoL for no particular reason.

What? They look up to the warrior of light because you murder all of the problems and take time out to help just about everybody.

Edit: Oh yeah, also you did directly help her with working through some things if you did coil.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 10, 2019

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cythereal posted:

By that point she'd witnessed you save 3 separate nations from literal destruction. Plus I've done Coil.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Failboattootoot posted:

What? They look up to the warrior of light because you murder all of the problems and take time out to help just about everybody.

Edit: Oh yeah, also you did directly help her with working through some things if you did coil.

Aren't you with Alisae in Ala Mhigo (or maybe Ishgard, it's been so long since I saw this) when the absolute greatest line of dialogue in the entire game is uttered?

"Nobody will give us information. Looks like it's time for you to do what you do best!"

*Beat*

"Go help people!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I liked Stormblood a lot and think it told a much more thematically cohesive and fulfilling story than Heavensward even if that theme is beating you in the head with a hammer that says "IMPERIALISM IS BAD" on it

The Evil Empire is such a common thing in fiction but you so rarely see them do the kind of poo poo that real life evil empires (which is to say all of them) do.

I don't understand how "the antagonists aren't great" is a knock against SB when HW had the most nothing group of villains ever depicted in an RPG to the point that I can't remember any of their names and most of their characterization comes from the lorebook.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cythereal posted:

They like/hate you because you are the sort of person who punches your fist into your palm, nods, and casually goes off to kill god(s). It's pretty clear that you're being characterized by your past actions at this point.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the real worst character of stormblood is hien

yotsuyu has many flaws as a person and as a story element but at least she’s not loving boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UHD posted:

the real worst character of stormblood is hien

yotsuyu has many flaws as a person and as a story element but at least she’s not loving boring

Counterpoint: his theme rules.