Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

Sexialization or not, girls or boys, 15-year-olds don't want to shop in the kiddie section, and 90% have a structure indistinguishable from many adults, so they will buy from the same stock as adults. As an adolescent of the '90s, I wanted to wear men's XL t-shirts when I would have fit in a boy's XL...

It would be nice for everyone if there were more options but I'm not sure what anyone's saying the answer should be. She's 15, she can pick out her own clothes.

Yeah, when I was 15 I went through a growth spurt up to my current adult size and was suddenly fitting into Large shirts with a 34-inch waist (though I wore XL because I was a slovenly teen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I think your wife is pretty weird for trying to put your four and six year olds into the same swimsuit.

Don't even get me started!

Honestly I'd prefer more of a wetsuit style so I could save a fortune on freaking sunblock

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Sagebrush posted:

Sometimes you're in a situation where you and a bunch of people you know are drowning, and then you find a floating log and you start to pull yourself on top, but someone beside you grabs onto you and won't let go, and they're dragging you off the log and you aren't strong enough to haul both of you up at once and if they keep pulling you down you'll both drown, and you just need them to let go for a moment while you steady yourself and get onto the log and then you can reach back for them, but they just won't loving let go because they are also drowning and they don't understand anything but their own survival, and ultimately you just have to kick them in the face, pull yourself aboard and then apologize for it later while giving them a hand up

Just saying

Unfortunately some of them do not want out either. Being ill (physically, mentally, emotionally) is part of their identity because it is the one thing about themselves they can get others to give sympathy about.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I (29f) hate talking to my dad (65m) because his hand cups his crotch when I do

quote:

Hi guys.

okay so I don’t know how to talk about this in a non-awkward way. I’m a female in my late twenties and always had a strained relationship with my dad.

He always provided for me and my brother growing up, but he had a temper, would call me awful names and guilt trip me when it came to spending money on me, amongst other things. He is really inconsistent, sometimes being really kind and other times stand-offish. He interrupts me a lot when I’m in a conversation and I’m just often annoyed by him and I’m not entirely sure why at times. It also makes me feel guilty when I am.

I don’t really like him, but I respect him as much as I can because he is my dad. I wish it was different but it simply isn’t. He has moments of kindness and especially in older age he is getting better.

What I really hate though, is that he keeps his hand near his crotch when I talk to him. Or he kind of “cups” it. I find it so tasteless and inappropriate but I have never had the guts to say anything about it. It makes me so angry, even while typing this. He doesn’t seem to be aware of doing anything inappropriate.

I don’t know why it angers me so much. What should I do?

Tl;dr: dad keeps his hand near/on his crotch a lot. I hate it and find it really hard to conceal my anger when I speak to him. Not sure what to do.

AITA for throwing coffee at my best friend because he drew something offensive on my shirt.

quote:

so, I (18m) don’t know if people in US do this, but on last day of school (12th grade) students wear white shirts and everyone writes or draws something on it with a sharpie. While people were writing things on my shirt, my lovely best friend drew big swastika on my shirt as a joke. It was on the back so I couldn’t see it. So I was walking around with swastika drawn on my shirt for like 4 hours and I was wondering why people were looking at me weirdly. My friend told me about it and I got angry. I get anything but swastika, like he could’ve drawn a dick and I couldn’t be upset. He just laughed and told me to get over it. I threw coffee at him (it was cold coffee) Our friends think that I went overboard.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i want to believe

Lmao yeah this happened because discussing pay rates is one of those things that's completely legal, as much as bosses would like for you to think otherwise

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tythas posted:

AITA for throwing coffee at my best friend because he drew something offensive on my shirt.

What giant dumbass lets someone draw something on their back and go 4 hours without even checking what it was?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I wish modesty was the norm for young children

Uhhhhhhh

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

tactlessbastard posted:

Honestly I'd prefer more of a wetsuit style so I could save a fortune on freaking sunblock
That's absolutely a thing, it's getting way more popular for kids. The tops are called rashguards and the bottoms are swim leggings. I think you can even get them at Target now, and they really make a difference with sunscreen

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

tactlessbastard posted:

I can't find the exact brand, but as my whole family is painfully Irish, my parents actually got me UV-resistant swimwear back when I was a teen. I thought it looked dorky as all hell, but I also managed to get second-degree sunburn twice while growing up, so I accepted the dorkiness as the cost of getting to swim.

https://www.coolibar.com/uv-swimwear.html

https://www.cabanalife.com/

https://www.solartex.com/

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

That's absolutely a thing, it's getting way more popular for kids. The tops are called rashguards and the bottoms are swim leggings. I think you can even get them at Target now, and they really make a difference with sunscreen

Thank you!

Djeser posted:

I can't find the exact brand, but as my whole family is painfully Irish, my parents actually got me UV-resistant swimwear back when I was a teen. I thought it looked dorky as all hell, but I also managed to get second-degree sunburn twice while growing up, so I accepted the dorkiness as the cost of getting to swim.

https://www.coolibar.com/uv-swimwear.html

https://www.cabanalife.com/

https://www.solartex.com/

Thank you!

Ikr

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

tactlessbastard posted:

Mrs Bastard was grousing the other day about how hard it was to find a one piece swimsuit for our 4 and 6 year old. I guess she needs to join the 21st century, huh.
Not sure about kids that quite that young, but try sports stores for one-piece swimsuits. (My 10 year old didn't like two-pieces and Dick's Sporting Goods was the only place in town we could find her one piece suits).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tactlessbastard posted:

Something like a rash guard?

Pretty much all the kids in Australia wear rashies because otherwise you're getting skin cancer.

EDIT: And that's what happens when you leave tabs open.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 10, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bikinis on children are like bikinis on dogs. They are not there to cover or reveal anything. They are just decorative cloth shapes. They are not inherently sexualizing. It is the cultural meaning we give to them when they are worn by adult women that created a sexual dimension. Applying that back to children is the actual weird thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
ITT tactlessbastard learns how to shop

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

MasBrillante posted:

Bikinis on children are like bikinis on dogs. They are not there to cover or reveal anything. They are just decorative cloth shapes. They are not inherently sexualizing. It is the cultural meaning we give to them when they are worn by adult women that created a sexual dimension. Applying that back to children is the actual weird thing.
On dogs guys
Bikinis on dogs

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

On dogs guys
Bikinis on dogs

would a dog wear a bikini like this or would a dog wear a bikini like this*

*at a pedophile's boudoir shoot

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You’ve never seen people put stupid costumes on dogs? How does it make sense that people can compartmentalize that but an infant in a bikini is “sexualized”?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait are we saying parents who dress their kids in the little bikinis they sell in the kids section are pedophiles now?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MasBrillante posted:

Which shops sell your favorite dog bikinis? I was considering a new suit for my pit bull and I'm not sure where to look.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Which shops sell your favorite dog bikinis? I was considering a new suit for my pit bull and I'm not sure where to look.

Etsy will absolutely connect you to several shops that will custom tailor a suit for that good boy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

You’ve never seen people put stupid costumes on dogs? How does it make sense that people can compartmentalize that but an infant in a bikini is “sexualized”?
Imo people are less good at compartmentalizing than you assume. I'm in a large closed pet group on facebook, and people literally censor out their cats' and dogs' nipples, genitals, and anuses. It's loving wild

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MasBrillante posted:

man this post is dense

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

it's fair to say that you find bikinis on little kids weird but it's weird in the same dimension as like, "i love suckin titty" shirts for babies

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo people are less good at compartmentalizing than you assume. I'm in a large closed pet group on facebook, and people literally censor out their cats' and dogs' nipples, genitals, and anuses. It's loving wild

Lmfao, I forgot about that company that sold dog butthole covers that attached to the tail, for a second.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

trying to apply modesty to your pets is the most simultaneously sisyphean and suburban task i can imagine

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for erasing my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's names from his wall?

I've been with my boyfriend for about 8 months now and things have been going really well. We live about 30 minutes apart and his house is bigger, nicer, and closer to downtown so we spend much more time at his place than we do at mine. My boyfriend has been living in his house for almost ten years and is in the process of purchasing it from the owners. They have always been very leniant about him painting/marking the walls so at some point my boyfriend thought it would be fun to start a height chart on one of the walls for him in his roommates (like parents do to keep track of their kids growing.) Over time, it became a tradition for friends and family to mark their heights and names on the wall. My boyfriend is really popular and therefore the wall is filled with friends and acquaintances. He loves it because it gives him a reminder of all the people who he cares about and is a fun thing for guests to do when they stay over.

However, my boyfriend also has gathered a fairly large number of exes over the years and their names are on the wall too. Every time I walk by them I'm forced to think about their relationship. It makes me so uncomfortable. Yesterday, when he was at work and I was in a terrible mood so I went and erased his exes names from the wall. The pencil marks are old and one of them was written in pen I think and made big smudges on the wall. I tried to clean it up but it's pretty obvious they were erased.

When he got home, my boyfriend noticed and asked me about it. I told him the truth and that it wasn't healthy to hold onto the past like that. I told him I didnt want to live in a museum of his past sexual history. He got really upset and told me I was being possessive and overreacting. He then said I was going to make it awkward the next time his exes came over (they are still friends and are dating other people in his friend group) because they will notice their names are gone and will think my boyfriend did it.

I'm just upset he cares what they think and isn't respecting my comfort in his house. I've asked my friends and have gotten mixed answers.

AITA here or should he be more accommodating to his girlfriend?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

man this post is dense

Is it? Or is it weird as gently caress that girls can’t avoid being hypersexualized even as infants. Because y’all are suggesting that makes more sense than destigmatizing certain styles of clothing.

Babies in diapers in pools is okay. So babies in diapers with a little matching top should also be okay. Bikinis aren’t just for showing off flesh to bystanders; the real actual people who wear them are also trying to get more sun on their skin.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Man, white people are so weird.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MasBrillante posted:

You yourself admitted there's a cultural meaning. I'm not saying people who put their young kids in bikinis because that's what's available or convenient or the colors are nice are sexualizing their kids, but it is, culturally, sexualized in a way that isn't even linked to being 'revealing'. Like, I'd say a baby splashing around topless would be fine because, like you said, there's nothing there.

Going 'there's nothing sexualized about it but the context' is a weird take.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MasBrillante posted:

Because my infant daughter doesn't have breasts, so why would she need a teeny tiny bikini top with little triangles over the nipples? Putting something that simulates lingerie on a child with no sexual characteristics is pointless, unless the goal is to give the child sexual characteristics. Like I said, I have her swim topless, because she has nothing to cover and her nudity isn't an issue. When you put nipple covers on her, that's because for some reason her nudity is an issue to you. Why on earth would an infant's nudity be an issue? :aatrek:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

man this post is dense
Nobody is putting toddlers in thongs, you weirdo. A baby showing their belly is sexual to you? Better put the babies in burkas around you.

Life jackets can chafe nipples. Nothing wrong with covering them on a kid.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not picking up my drunk little sister from a house party?

My sister is 16 and I’m 24. We have conservative parents who discouraged us from drinking or doing anything that would “shame the family”, etc.

I moved out as soon as I could and have done a decent job of distancing myself relatively from my parents.

My job requires me to work long days so my sleep is really important to me and my sister knows this.

Last night, around 2am, I get a call from my sister and she says that she snuck out of the house and she’s really drunk and at a party with a bunch of older people and she needs me to come pick her up and she gave me the address (which was about 45 minutes away).

I worked this morning at 5am so there was no way I was getting up and picking her up and losing sleep. I told her that she should take responsibility and call our parents to come pick her up. She started pleading with me and crying and begging me to come get her but I told her to call either mom or dad.

She kept yelling so I just hung up on her. I called my parents and told them where she was and she needed them to come get her. I didn’t think about it again and I fell back asleep.

On my break this morning I get a call from my parents saying that my sister is grounded and had her phone taken away from her. They thanked me for calling them.

I was talking to my coworker and she said that I was being a little harsh and that I should’ve gone to get her just this once to make sure she was safe. I responded that I called my parents to pick her up and it wasn’t my responsibility to bail her out of a party.

I’ve gotten other opinions that have kind of made it seem as though I was the rear end in a top hat but I think I did the right thing.

That said, AITA?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That's a good dog. Pet it for me.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

You yourself admitted there's a cultural meaning. I'm not saying people who put their young kids in bikinis because that's what's available or convenient or the colors are nice are sexualizing their kids, but it is, culturally, sexualized in a way that isn't even linked to being 'revealing'. Like, I'd say a baby splashing around topless would be fine because, like you said, there's nothing there.

Going 'there's nothing sexualized about it but the context' is a weird take.

Listen, I’m just saying that parents dressing their babies at cute stuff they find at the store is fine. They are not creepy or sexualizing their children, even if other adults can’t seem to separate the contexts.

The context IS different because these are babies. I’m saying instead of trying to make people feel bad for dressing their babies in funny cute things, lets make people feel bad for sexualizing clothing when it is put on babies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Man, white people are so weird.
Not going to do a demographic study, but it's definitely not limited to white people, the group is pretty diverse and worldwide there are a number of majority nonwhite cultures that are much more conservative than the US

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MasBrillante posted:

Is it? Or is it weird as gently caress that girls can’t avoid being hypersexualized even as infants. Because y’all are suggesting that makes more sense than destigmatizing certain styles of clothing.

Babies in diapers in pools is okay. So babies in diapers with a little matching top should also be okay. Bikinis aren’t just for showing off flesh to bystanders; the real actual people who wear them are also trying to get more sun on their skin.

man I'm not even touching y'alls extremely furious positions on toddlerwear I just liked the attempt to make it somehow less weird by bringing dog bikinis into the mix, and the general "when you think about it words are just noises, man, it's society that gives them meaning" take

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chichevache posted:

Because my infant daughter doesn't have breasts, so why would she need a teeny tiny bikini top with little triangles over the nipples? Putting something that simulates lingerie on a child with no sexual characteristics is pointless, unless the goal is to give the child sexual characteristics. Like I said, I have her swim topless, because she has nothing to cover and her nudity isn't an issue. When you put nipple covers on her, that's because for some reason her nudity is an issue to you. Why on earth would an infant's nudity be an issue? :aatrek:

Love, I just said that a topless baby is normal and fine. Also a baby with a swimsuit is normal and fine. Also a baby wearing any cute cloth is normal and fine. Nudity is not an issue. Bikinis are not an issue. Let the babies swim, is my position. Do not attribute words to me that I did not say.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MasBrillante posted:

Wait are we saying parents who dress their kids in the little bikinis they sell in the kids section are pedophiles now?

Anyone who doesn't might as well join the Taliban and any one who does is a pedophile, yes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

MasBrillante posted:

There are some mentally damaged parents out there overtly and consciously sexualizing their children. I do not think it is always pedophilia. Sometimes it is just living vicariously through their kids to recapture youth and sexual attention. I had a friend growing up and she had a mom who was basically trying to shove her into relationships at 14 and 15 and you could tell if was all mom wanting to relive her teenage years and young love stuff through her daughter. Weird as hell. I suspect child pageants come from a similar derangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for erasing my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's names from his wall?

specifically erasing the exes names is what makes it weird and possessive. i mean, the height chart is also kinda weird but selectively erasing people's names from it is an even weirder take than just "can we paint it over"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not picking up my drunk little sister from a house party?

lmao what a fuckin narc