Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For some inexplicable reason during my high school years people thought it was a good idea to slow dance to Lightning Crashes.

Most people don't actually pay attention to the lyrics or subject matter of any songs beyond whatever the hook is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All band suck. Especially your favorite.

Yes, you, person who is reading this. Your favorite band is the worst thing in the history of things and murdered music.

check out this dweeb that's never listened to Saint Etienne

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For some inexplicable reason during my high school years people thought it was a good idea to slow dance to Lightning Crashes.

Willing to bet your high school graduation song was "Good Riddance" by Green Day.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ferrule posted:

Willing to bet your high school graduation song was "Good Riddance" by Green Day.

No, it was "With A Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker so they got that one right.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

Most high schools used this in the 2000's. Released Jan 12 2000 so close enough to the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flaggy posted:

Most high schools used this in the 2000's. Released Jan 12 2000 so close enough to the 90's

The 90s didn't end until 9/11/2001 anyway. It just kept getting more and more extremely 90s until suddenly everything crashes into a brick wall and now fascism is a thing again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't remember what mine was, but it was probably 1999 by Prince since I graduated in 1999

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Vanagoon posted:

They're not grunge but one 90s band that I have always hate, hate, hated was Live. What even the gently caress was the point of that band.

Live and The Black Crowes make me irritable. Absolutely loving hate them. Something about the sound of both of these bands makes me want to drive drill bits into my ears.

Where they the ones who sang about the placenta that fell to the floor?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes, that was Lightning Crashes

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yes, that was Lightning Crashes

The first time I tried to sing that song at karaoke I'd never really listened to the lyrics, so that line really hit me like a sack of nickels and ruined an otherwise flawless C-minus performance.

Grunge is great for karaoke because even if the singer isn't an Eddie Vedder soundalike, if you do that voice everyone thinks it's correct and you don't have to enunciate

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

On a *nostalgia* kick a few weeks ago, I bought the Bush album Sixteen Stone on limited edition vinyl.

I regret buying the Bush album Sixteen Stone on limited edition vinyl.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Seldom Posts posted:

In the 80s and 90s I used to make fun of people who liked dire straights because it was straight up middle aged man music.

It's Dire Straits. The dire straights of the 90s was a band called Creed.

Also, Dire Straits are great.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
But Creed is not. Wish I could’ve convinced my 17 year old self that...

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Lots of great bands are far better live than in the studio. Hell after seeing Bruce Springsteen live I can hardly even listen to his studio albums anymore. Same with Cheap Trick. Frequently mentioned are also Grateful Dead. Pearl Jam. Flaming Lips, creepy Uncle Wayne and all, have been brilliant live every time I've seen them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagined posted:

Lots of great bands are far better live than in the studio. Hell after seeing Bruce Springsteen live I can hardly even listen to his studio albums anymore. Same with Cheap Trick. Frequently mentioned are also Grateful Dead. Pearl Jam. Flaming Lips, creepy Uncle Wayne and all, have been brilliant live every time I've seen them.

And then there's Motley Crue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17q3MbLcgJw

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

But Creed is not. Wish I could’ve convinced my 17 year old self that...
Creed is "dire straights" in that the band is literally dire and hetero, is I think what he meant.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Correct!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Trabant posted:

It's Dire Straits. The dire straights of the 90s was a band called Creed.

Also, Dire Straits are great.

In the 1980s, ask any of your teachers in the UK what their favourite band was and they'd always say Dire Straits, and we'd always go “ugh”. Then you get older and realise that actually they own.

Same thing as Phil Collins. The movie Sing Street nailed that, in the scene where the older brother slags off a guy for liking Phil's music. But once you hit your mid-thirties, no matter how you felt about him before you'll realise the man's got some tunes and you like him now and also yes you are officially old now too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Everybody only likes Phill Collins for that one drum solo in that one song. Here’s a video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HH9MQmMtilU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Flaggy posted:

Does this song depress anyone else? I know it's intensely cheesy and sentimental, and It's not that I miss high school that much but I think unless you really hated high school you probably had the same assumption every high school graduate has, that you will keep in touch with with these people forever. The reality is you have that summer and then that's it, you'll likely never see the majority of them again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Does this song depress anyone else? I know it's intensely cheesy and sentimental, and It's not that I miss high school that much but I think unless you really hated high school you probably had the same assumption every high school graduate has, that you will keep in touch with with these people forever. The reality is you have that summer and then that's it, you'll likely never see the majority of them again.

In retrospect, that's probably for the better. People change a lot after graduating high school. Sometimes the school bully turns their life around and is now your friend after meeting again 10 years later, sometimes they go even deeper and become a chud on an ATV doing meth.

The football player makes friends with the edgy goth who did the "Why so serious?" monologue in drama class, they both get drunk and crash their car and the football player dies a few years after graduating. People come out as transgender or gay, sometimes years after you saw them last and sometimes practically while walking during graduation. The fat kid who was kinda into guitar and never got along with you loses weight, starts recording, and suddenly drops dead of a heart condition at 20. The cute goth girl stops talking to you after you cut off contact with a mutual friend who's going insane and you later find out that she now has multiple arrests for stalking, trespassing, drug possession, and firearm theft (while the mutual friend got therapy, got married, and has a daughter and house now). The awkward gangly Drama Club girl dyed her eyebrows and armpits blue and became a pot-smoking vegan promoting punk bands in Jacksonville.

These are all actual things that happened with my graduating class, plus all the marriages and babies and whatnot. The only people who are still the same are the ones who stagnate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

In retrospect, that's probably for the better. People change a lot after graduating high school. Sometimes the school bully turns their life around and is now your friend after meeting again 10 years later, sometimes they go even deeper and become a chud on an ATV doing meth.

The football player makes friends with the edgy goth who did the "Why so serious?" monologue in drama class, they both get drunk and crash their car and the football player dies a few years after graduating. People come out as transgender or gay, sometimes years after you saw them last and sometimes practically while walking during graduation. The fat kid who was kinda into guitar and never got along with you loses weight, starts recording, and suddenly drops dead of a heart condition at 20. The cute goth girl stops talking to you after you cut off contact with a mutual friend who's going insane and you later find out that she now has multiple arrests for stalking, trespassing, drug possession, and firearm theft (while the mutual friend got therapy, got married, and has a daughter and house now). The awkward gangly Drama Club girl dyed her eyebrows and armpits blue and became a pot-smoking vegan promoting punk bands in Jacksonville.

These are all actual things that happened with my graduating class, plus all the marriages and babies and whatnot. The only people who are still the same are the ones who stagnate.

Yeah, my 20th anniversary is coming up in August, I thought about going to see what happened to everyone, but it looks like some personal things will be happening around then so I won't be able to go anyway. Not a big deal to me, it's probably just going to be really lame and sad, and I already keep in touch with the hand full of people I'd really want to hang out with anyway.

Everyone probably thinks I died in 2014 anyway since that was the last time I used Facebook.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I missed my 10th and 20th reunion. I didn't want to go and admit that I got fat and didn't achieve any of the great things my "potential" suggested I could and was instead just another middle of the road normie getting by but just barely like everybody else, and wow I've made myself sad.

Only way I'd have gone was if I had something to shove in everyone's face. I kept zero friends from high school.

Anyway this isn't my livejournal, here's some 90s content. "Disco 2000" by Pulp, which I first heard in about 1997 off an album I became obsessed with.
https://youtu.be/qJS3xnD7Mus

I learned later that Nick Cave and Pulp also did a version of it. https://youtu.be/CIaxXXqTIFU

Imagined has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jun 10, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people don't actually pay attention to the lyrics or subject matter of any songs beyond whatever the hook is

But the hook brings you back.

I ain’t telling you no lies.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Seven Mary Three are Pearl Jam for frat boys.

Also there were LOTS of Pearl Jam knock-offs.

Creed being a perfect example of that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I always thought Stone Temple Pilots was Pearl Jam for a while at first.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cartoon Man posted:

I always thought Stone Temple Pilots was Pearl Jam for a while at first.

I remember Pearl Jam winning a lawsuit against STP for plagiarism, I can't remember the details anymore though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They're both more indebted to classic rock than punk and inclined to arena-size anthems so they have a lot in common. STP were more unapologetic rock stars than the ultra-sincere, guilty-about-fame Pearl Jam though. STP were probably the first of the 90s bands to bring back Steven Tyler's "three M's".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Oh yeah? Well I got four M’s for ya right here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeg1txDv8w

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

On a *nostalgia* kick a few weeks ago, I bought the Bush album Sixteen Stone on limited edition vinyl.

I regret buying the Bush album Sixteen Stone on limited edition vinyl.

I regret buying it on CD.

I regret even more going to see them live in 1995, with No Doubt and Goo-Goo Dolls as the openers.

Well, No Doubt was good. But Bush was aggressively dull-enough to more than make up for it.

Imagined posted:

Lots of great bands are far better live than in the studio.

Bush definitely was not.

quote:

Hell after seeing Bruce Springsteen live I can hardly even listen to his studio albums anymore.

Best Springsteen album anyway is Nebraska and that never saw the inside of a studio.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jun 10, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
STP are pretty rad though.

I probably said it before but the if you asked me in the 90s what my favorite brit pop band was I'd say Oasis, but not its firmly Blue.

I lied at my 20th and claimed I worked in music promotions. The picture of me with Drake goes a long way. I did this because basically everyone I went to HS with got sweet jobs from their dads connections and is now rich enough to benefit from tax cuts.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Phanatic posted:

I regret even more going to see them live in 1995, with No Doubt and Goo-Goo Dolls as the openers.

Well, No Doubt was good. But Bush was aggressively dull-enough to more than make up for it.

That was the first concert I ever went to. I left when Bush started to play the cover of “the one I love” by REM

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I remember "Plush" was the "Smoke on the Water" for a lot of my budding guitarist buddies in the mid 90s.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Phanatic posted:

:same: I can’t fathom why anyone would buy it on vinyl, ugh. Get something you know is going to be good, like Weird Al’s Dare To Be Stupid :v: (I kid, that one really is great but more of a cassette album imo)

I don’t even think my class is doing a 20 year reunion. Doesn’t matter, I don’t care to go anyway. I just have no interest in revisiting that period of my life, even if I am doing quite well for myself nowadays.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep being reminded Gwen Stefani married Blake Shelton and is super corny with magazine covers about faith and family.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I keep being reminded Gwen Stefani married Blake Shelton and is super corny with magazine covers about faith and family.

It’s all she can do because she needs to forget Bush even more than any of us do

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All band suck. Especially your favorite.

Yes, you, person who is reading this. Your favorite band is the worst thing in the history of things and murdered music.

gently caress you jerk! Your band is the worst.

Live had TWO MEMBERS named Chad.

They are the best.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wow she somehow found a way to downgrade from Gavin Rossdale.

P.S. have you seen his model daughter from a different relationship, Daisy Lowe? Holy poo poo.

Mildly :NSFW: https://youtu.be/ZncF4N4JPzs

Imagined has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: I just read a book called Into Thin Air that came out in the 90s. It's amazing to me that magazines were making so much money back then that they would spend $50,000 to send a journalist to Mount Everest for two months and all they wanted was a few articles about the trip in return. I never even heard of Outside magazine but they must have been swimming in extra cash.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I always confused Low by Cracker as being a Tom Petty song for the entirety of the 90s.