Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overall this is just a slightly escalated sibling spat. They will get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Xenocides posted:

Not all 16 year olds have a credit card or cash for an Uber on them at all times.

It is weird to me that he is not willing to do this. I have two little sisters and would be out of bed and driving quickly if I thought they were in any danger. I am wondering if this is an ongoing problem and he is burned out helping her. If it is one time thing YTA. If this is an ongoing thing she keeps doing NTA.

No, but most 24 year olds have a card, and you can send Uber to pick someone else up. If I couldn't pick them up myself, I'd do that.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

MasBrillante posted:

Overall this is just a slightly escalated sibling spat. They will get over it.

This.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

I suppose. The problem (as with all unreliable narrators) is that if taken at face value the next update would be
"So my sister is now an unplanned pregnancy I could have prevented/ she went to visit the mother with a sketchy friend of hers and we haven't heard from her for 3 days" followed up with the OP having a smug "I told you so"

The brother sounds perfectly fine as a person if you don't just disbelieve everything he says in the post, and even if you think he's exaggerating to an extreme degree, he still helped her out when she needed it because she's his sister

It was basically just him calling her out for treating him like garbage and pointing out that he's helped her out in the past, and she can't expect him to keep doing that if she's going to do nothing but be lovely to him

e: Though yeah, it's just a sibling fight. She's 16 and this is how she(and a lot of teenagers)are at this age oh well, and unless he just made up the entire first part of the post I severely doubt he'd actually follow through on his threat not to help her out next time she's in trouble

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Blade Runner posted:

It's not unreasonable, but neither is "No, sorry, I have other stuff I need to do." an unreasonable response to someone asking you to leave 5 hours earlier than you'd planned to, and "gently caress you" followed by cutting off communications with you for a week is a very unreasonable response to that

The sister is 16, she's still a child but she's old enough that she doesn't get to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone around her for no reason and nobody can really be expected to put up with someone treating them like loving garbage and saying a bunch of hurtful poo poo about them and their loved ones just because they're young

Agreed about the issue of youth but we have all potentially had someone much older act just as terribly. In this day and age we should be more forgiving of the youth, not less.
Make her make an instagram post about how he drove her 5 hours and tag his account or whatever. Engage with her instead of just knee-jerk reaction refusing.
Again I am glad I don't have a kid sibling that's this demanding because I would probably handle it differently

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

No, but most 24 year olds have a card, and you can send Uber to pick someone else up. If I couldn't pick them up myself, I'd do that.

I feel like sending a stranger to pick up your drunk and vulnerable 16 year old sister is probably not the right call.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

Agreed about the issue of youth but we have all potentially had someone much older act just as terribly. In this day and age we should be more forgiving of the youth, not less.
Make her make an instagram post about how he drove her 5 hours and tag his account or whatever. Engage with her instead of just knee-jerk reaction refusing.
Again I am glad I don't have a kid sibling that's this demanding because I would probably handle it differently

Some people have a low tolerance for being manipulated and used and that's okay.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Plan B Brother NTA. 16 is old enough to behave like kind of an adult and at least apologize when you act like an rear end. You're not fully formed at 16, but you're not such a child that you can't be expected to behave a little bit.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Dazerbeams posted:

Some people have the ability to refuse being manipulated and used and that's okay.

Fixed that for you

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Listen I would totally have picked her up if she’d called for a drunk pickup at reasonable time, like 7:30PM. It’s just bad luck all the drunk pickup calls come late at night, no idea why that is?

At least now she knows she can’t trust her brother with anything actually important, like future baby names or taking care of her trees

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

Well, again, it's something she asked him to do for her own convenience for something she didn't actually require, she just wanted, and he doesn't seem able to do. If he has other stuff he has to do before he leaves for Summer break, just leaving five hours early might not be feasible. I don't think you need to provide any excuse in a situation like that, other than "Sorry, I have other things I need to do first"

If she was 30 she'd just be an irredeemably garbage person, whereas now she's just a standard immature person that can grow out of it; functionally, it's much, much more forgivable for people at that age to act like that, and I wouldn't hold it against them, but it's still pretty much as annoying to deal with that sort of demanding nature in the moment.

And yeah, Dazer kinda got it; there's a difference between helping your sister out when they really need it and letting someone use you at significant inconvenience to yourself and treat you like trash because they're family, even if they're just a kid.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The issue seems to be in our society getting from point A to point B and personally after the 2nd time I was just dumped on the side of the road by the 'reasonable adult' I bought a long board, memorized Google maps for a 15 mile radius, and always packed food and water for a few days whenever I went out just in case my 'demand' to get picked up was 'unreasonable'.
And if I had any younger sibling I would teach them not to rely on others and their cars just the same way.

I really hate cars and haven't asked for a ride in years. I own a car but make a point to skate upwards of 10 miles every few days to 'stay sharp'. Being stranded is the worst thing ever especially if you asked for help and got refused and that's where I'm getting triggered from these past two AITAs.

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 10, 2019

Temperus_Maximus
Feb 13, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for erasing my boyfriend's ex girlfriend's names from his wall?

Check out this dude dating motherfucking Stalin.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not picking up my drunk little sister from a house party?

Man siblings not having each other's back is just the saddest thing to see. This idiot even says himself he peaced out of his crazy christian parents' home as soon as he could and he still has the nerve to ask if his snitching rear end is in the wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for making my SIL cry at her baby shower by suggesting we should stop exchanging gifts in the future?

quote:

I come from a fairly well off family, and my husband and I do well (although we both work high demand jobs for it). We’ve always been very generous to his side of the family. Gifts are very much both my husband and my “love language” and in my culture (Chinese), elaborate gifts to inlaws are very socially acceptable as a way to show they are held in high esteem. It also helps with some of our guilt for being super busy and not always around.

Last Christmas, we had some weirdness over Christmas day present opening. I had purchased a lovely cashmere throw for SIL (husband’s brother’s wife). She googled the brand and price then and there (which kind of annoyed me) and later I overheard her make some joke about how she could pay “half a mortgage payment.” Several hours later during brunch, someone asked her what was wrong (she seemed upset) and she confessed that our presents always make her feel bad, she’s tired of us “throwing our money” in her and her husband’s face, and Christmas has become really stressful with pressure over gift giving. Husband and I apologized profusely, and did some self reflection afterwards on the unintentional effects of elaborate gift giving and decided to go more low key in the future. Although a little part of it has always sat poorly with me since.

This past Saturday, I attended a baby shower for the same SIL. It’s the first gift giving occasion since Christmas and I really wanted to do it carefully. I asked a coworker who recently had a baby what range is typically appropriate (she said she mostly got gifts between $30-$50) and so I decided on three little things from the registry totaling just over $30. Anyways, at the shower it becomes clear that while certainly most gifts were in the $30-50 range, all attendees who were family members seemed to give more like $100 gifts. Near the end of the event, MIL pulled me aside and said that SIL felt like I was being spiteful to her for Christmas. I again apologized and as a cover, said that husband and I had written a check for the little one’s college fund as well but didn’t feel it was appropriate to hand to her during the present opening. Then I scurried off to the bathroom and wrote a check for $100. When I found SIL by herself for a second I handed her the check and explained that we wanted to give her this earlier but present opening seemed like a bad time. She looked at the check and kind of bitchily said, “We don’t need your money.”

I kind of snapped and told her bluntly (and not like yelling, but not like in hushed tones either - people nearby apparently definitely overheard) that her that I was tired of her poo poo and if it made her feel better, we could just stop exchanging presents in the future. She started crying and I immediately left. I’ve been getting my texts from everyone in the family and her best friend about how I ruined the baby shower ever since.

(ETA for additional context - My husband and his family are American and we live in the US. My side of the family exchanges generous gifts. One concern of mine originally was to treat my husband’s family the same as my family, i.e. by not spending way more on my family than his. We are in our early/mid 30s, my BIL is 28 and SIL is 24 or 25).

Imagine being gladly showered in expensive gifts and money and taking this as an insult.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjs00 posted:

The issue seems to be in our society getting from point A to point B and personally after the 2nd time I was just dumped on the side of the road by the 'reasonable adult' I bought a long board, memorized Google maps for a 15 mile radius, and always packed food and water for a few days whenever I went out just in case my 'demand' to get picked up was 'unreasonable'.
And if I had any younger sibling I would teach them not to rely on others and their cars just the same way.

Jesus Christ. I’m sorry; that’s hosed up.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for “Using” My Father for Money?

quote:

Ok so for reference I’m a young adult. Basically, I have a very strenuous relationship with my Dad. A few years ago, my older brother found out that my Dad had been cheating on my Mom for a long time with many different people. My Mom tried to make it work and give him a chance to earn forgiveness, but he continued his actions. Now in 2008, my Dad lost his job after the economy tanked. Prior to that he had been the primary provider, but after that my Mom became the main income source for our family because she had assets from her family. Long story short my parents get divorced, and my Dad gets half of my Mom’s money. For context, I love my Mom more than anything, and she is an amazing woman, so obviously the way my Dad hurt her impacted me a lot too. I don’t wanna go into full detail here, but he’s done a lot of really crappy poo poo.

Now as part of the divorce agreement, since my mom had significantly more assets than my Dad, my Mom is covering the entirety of both mine and my Brother’s University. Anyways the way the agreement is set up, expenses up to a certain value (lets say $100 for arguments sake) are covered by my Mom (so technically $50 of that would be from my Dad, despite my Mom paying all of it). Now the issue comes when expenses exceed that. My father seems entirely unwilling to discuss anything with my Mom. Anytime she tries to talk to him, he says “I’m not covering anything over the amount agreed in the settlement, you can pay for it or he can get more jobs”. So basically, my mom ends up spending a lot more than my Dad because I choose to live with her when I’m home from university, and she also has to pay any expenses exceeding the amount agreed upon.

Now my brother has basically cut himself off from my Dad, and chooses to have almost no contact with him. I have taken a much different approach. I feel like my father has basically emotionally hosed up my brother, Mom, and I, and then left with half of my mom’s family money and refuses to pay for a lot of the stuff my brother and I are used to. All of our necessities are covered (I know that I am incredibly lucky, and maybe come off as a spoiled brat here), but things outside of that either my Mom pays for or we pay ourselves.

Now here’s the kicker. By keeping a relationship with my Dad (not an amazing one, we see each other probably about once a month) he will just randomly give me money, and sometimes I can get him to pay for things, as long as my Mom isn’t involved. On the one hand, I feel like I’m using him, but on the other hand I feel like he took advantage of my Mom for years, and don’t really feel bad about using him somewhat as well. I know I’m not entitled to his money, but given he took most of it from my Mom, who would have spent it on us, I feel its kind of insane how he wants to keep it all to himself.

TLDR: AITA for having a relationship with my Father only because he sometimes provides me money.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

WIBTA if I refused to let my mother hold my newborn until she quits smoking?

quote:

My mother [60F] has been a smoker for the majority of my life. I recall one time when she had quit, but it clearly didn't last. I've been begging her to quit for years - offering to pay for nicotine patches, helping find a support, even hiding or destroying her cigarettes. She keeps saying she'd like to, and keeps making no effort for it. I've tried to reason with her about it, saying things like I want her to quit so she'll be around to be with her grandchildren. Asked her to do it to save money. Asked for it as a birthday or Christmas gift.

The cigarettes she smokes smell awful - they cling to everything. Clothing, furniture, cars. If she gets into my car, it'll smell for a while afterwards. If she's in my house, I have to air it out. If I go to her house, my clothes smell like smoke until I wash them.

My wife [30F] and I [31M] are expecting our first baby in a couple months. It will be the first on her family's side, and the second on mine. Naturally, there's a lot of excitement. My mother loves babies and was over the moon when she found out she would have another grandkid.

About a year ago, I mentioned to her I didn't want her holding my kids if she was still smoking. I reminded her of it when I got married ("you know, Wife and I will be having a kid soon, so you should work on quitting"). I reminded her again when we got pregnant ("7 months to go. How are you with quitting?"). We're in the home stretch now, counting the weeks. She's made no progress towards quitting.

I know it will crush her to not hold her grandkid. I know she's addicted to smoking. I know she's had trouble quitting. But I can't stand the thought of picking up my baby and having him smell like smoke. What will that do to an infant? She won't smoke around the baby, but she's certainly going to bring some of that toxic poo poo to him. I can't shield him from everything, but that doesn't mean everything should get a free pass.

WIBTA if I followed through with my promise of not letting my mother hold my kid while she is still a smoker? How do I approach this?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

My coworker was a cast member on a cruise. There was this one guy who decided he really wanted to see Mickey Mouse. The person who was assigned Mickey wasn't on shift at the time and characters aren't available on call. They didn't think it was a big deal to say "Mickey's not available right now" or to just have someone else play Mickey to make the guy happy. The guy absolutely flipped his poo poo and went on a rampage, screaming and yelling and breaking poo poo. They locked him in his room for some time until the guy agreed that he had calmed down and wouldn't cause any more problems.

In my teenage years working fast food jobs I saw this happen fairly regularly. For instance, someone who presents as a normal functional person orders a cheeseburger without pickles, but it comes out with pickles. They go to complain to the manager and somehow in the course of the conversation work themselves up into such psychotic anger that everyone has to lock themselves in the office and the police have to be called in to drag them away still screaming obscenities and trying to destroy all the equipment.

Once this happened with me delivering a pizza to a car dealership. I delivered to the owner, but had the wrong pizza. I tell him he can keep that one and I'll bring the correct one out (no extra charge), but it will have to be another 15 minutes or so as I have to get to the store and back. Dude is furious, starting with "how could you gently caress this up, how could you possibly bring the wrong loving pizza" and then rapidly escalating into a screaming, table flipping tantrum, not even able to form words, just red-faced veins bulging and screaming with pure rage. His own employees have to hold him down as I try to back out of there. The receptionist is crying and telling me that he is actually a nice man and she has never seen him do anything like this. It's like the Joker's "one little push" speech, but apparently for a lot of people the little push is not getting perfect fast food service.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

MasBrillante posted:

Jesus Christ. I’m sorry; that’s hosed up.

Thanks. Here's a a few pictures of my current gear. It's become my life now and the abuse has stopped. It's a great form of experience too!

That's car keys, bandages, flashlight, 24/7 gym membership

That's $ ID more bandages, food phone charger and notebook
And of course that's one skate board of like 3.

These stories of "I refused to pick up my kid sibling to teach them a lesson" are all just a little unsettling to me.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjs00 posted:

Thanks. Here's a a few pictures of my current gear. It's become my life now and the abuse has stopped. It's a great form of experience too!

These stories of "I refused to pick up my kid sibling to teach them a lesson" are all just a little unsettling to me.

I can understand how that would be triggering. I did presume a healthy family dynamic where sending the parents isn’t tantamount to sending your sibling to the gallows, and where the primary motivation was actually just being exhausted instead of making a point.

That seems to be a theme in the relationships posted on Reddit, though, generally. People are primarily concerned with being right and winning as opposed to having functional relationships.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

In my teenage years working fast food jobs I saw this happen fairly regularly. For instance, someone who presents as a normal functional person orders a cheeseburger without pickles, but it comes out with pickles. They go to complain to the manager and somehow in the course of the conversation work themselves up into such psychotic anger that everyone has to lock themselves in the office and the police have to be called in to drag them away still screaming obscenities and trying to destroy all the equipment.

Once this happened with me delivering a pizza to a car dealership. I delivered to the owner, but had the wrong pizza. I tell him he can keep that one and I'll bring the correct one out (no extra charge), but it will have to be another 15 minutes or so as I have to get to the store and back. Dude is furious, starting with "how could you gently caress this up, how could you possibly bring the wrong loving pizza" and then rapidly escalating into a screaming, table flipping tantrum, not even able to form words, just red-faced veins bulging and screaming with pure rage. His own employees have to hold him down as I try to back out of there. The receptionist is crying and telling me that he is actually a nice man and she has never seen him do anything like this. It's like the Joker's "one little push" speech, but apparently for a lot of people the little push is not getting perfect fast food service.

One of my brothers was working at Pizza Hut as a teenager and he wasn't supposed to be at the counter but was the only one around when this guy brings his pizza back up to the counter and says "I gotta question! This pizza is supposed to have sausage on it!" and then waits for a response. After a few seconds, the guy says, "Well?" My brother responds, "I thought you said you had a question." The guy turns purple and says "Don't you know who I am?" and brother says "Nope" and guy says "I'M ON THE CITY COUNCIL! (This was a town of 3500 people)" and brother says "What are you going to do, rezone my house?" and the guy lunged across the counter at him and had to get dragged back out of the kitchen by his wife and sons, and then they fled without paying before the cops showed up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember being 15?

Help

quote:

BTW, I am a 15M.

Hi, so there is this girl I am intensely in love with. I am always thinking about her, and when I do, I smile. Everything she does makes her even cuter. I would die for her, but she doesn't know that. She did like me before, but I rejected her. Want to know why? I'll tell you soon. (I regret it so much 😢). So, now seeing her, I get jealous when she is talking to boys. I just want to hold her in my arms and protect her. But the thing is, I rejected her because...

I stutter (mild - moderate)

I didn't want her to have to suffer with me for her life because of my stuttering. I don't want her to suffer to my disfluency. I didn't want our kids to stutter and ruin their lives even though the world is bad enough as it is. I can't even talk to her. I don't have any friends, and If I do talk to her I will just block the entire time lol. God I love her. I would die for her. Can't tell her that because she will think I am a creep. One time I stared at her, but then she saw. I think she got creeped out. If I rarely do get the chance to talk to her, I'm going to tell her that I stutter. What do I do if I'm so shy? How do I get her attention?

WHY DO I STUTTER WHY

By the way, I know the love isn't an infatuation.

TL;DR: I love her, but she doesn't know. I also have a mild - moderate stutter which is keeping me back, and also shyness. Help?

He admits in the comments that he's not actually her friend and basically doesn't talk to her.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People flip a poo poo when their service work punching bag has a retort.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moon Atari posted:

I can guarantee that for that guy it was not one little push. He's probably someone with serious anger problems who normally keeps his temper in check at work so nobody else knew about them. For all we know he goes apeshit at his wife at home. He was probably already on the verge of a tantrum when you got there.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
WIBTA if I send the RSVP to my cousin's wedding all crumbled and dirty (on purpose)?

quote:

I (F42) was very excited to get my cousin's wedding invitation. Him and his girlfriend (both ~28y.o) are really cool people and we get along well. When I got the invite, I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to send it back all dirty and a bit burned and crumbled. I was thinking about making a 2-part joke with a follow up gift that would kind of give them a hilarious closure.
The wedding is in september, I have to send my RSVP within 2 weeks. Thing is, the RSVP carton looks a bit artistic-dirty, but I realise I have no idea what to do for the second part of the joke! They are so nice, their wedding is a childfree affair (if that's relevant), and I want to continue to build this friendship with them as our aunts and uncles tend to bicker and not get along well.
WIBTA if I send it as is (dirty and all), and end up not having a second part to my joke?
Sometimes you just have to wonder what, or if, people are thinking.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

MasBrillante posted:

I can understand how that would be triggering. I did presume a healthy family dynamic where sending the parents isn’t tantamount to sending your sibling to the gallows, and where the primary motivation was actually just being exhausted instead of making a point.

That seems to be a theme in the relationships posted on Reddit, though, generally. People are primarily concerned with being right and winning as opposed to having functional relationships.

Have you seen Assassination Nation?

The main characters family is heavily Conservative/Christian and when it's revealed that their (teenage) daughter was having relations with a married man they literally throw her into the street.
The only reason they find out though is due to Reddit style doxxing of her private information. It's a great movie with a very Modern perspective

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

AITA for not working for my mother?

quote:

Me(18f) and my mom have a bit of a strained relationship. I stopped living with her at 16 due to the issues we had and things have been slowly getting better between us with that added distance. This seems like it's going to cause a rift between us.

My mother owns this little fish restaurant and I worked there from age 13-17. I absolutely hated it. It suited me terribly, it made my anxiety worse and it was generally poo poo for my mental health. Thanks to getting overwhelmed a lot while working, I wasn't particularly good at it either. The added bonus of smelling like fish and frying oil all the time made me miserable. When I finally managed to quit, I promised myself I'd never, ever work there again.

At the moment, things aren't going great with the restaurant. A lot of her staff have quit or been fired for various reasons, I know from my time there that the staff very much disliked my mother as a boss and my mom didn't like most of the staff. She just called me to say that she'll be understaffed in july and wants me to come and work for two weeks. I've told her many times that I'm not going to work there again and even when she offered me a job as a manager and said she'd pay me 50% more than what I'm getting now, I refused.

So, I told her I would not come and work for her again, and she got angry with me. She said that I'm family and should help out, she also tried to guilt trip me by saying that she'll be forced to have my grandparents working, and they're old and have health issues. She said I was being selfish and that she's very hurt.

Thing is, I've got a job that I love as a barista and I work every day except Sunday. I'm also taking an online course from MIT that cost a bit of money and it takes up 16 additional hours a week. I tried telling her this and she said she'd only make me work in the evenings (my coffeeshop closes at 6). She said that I should be able to do this for her.

I told her to look at any other option she has and if I'm the only one who can do this, she can call me again. At that point she just started to say "No, whatever, I'll just find someone else. It's clear that you can't even do this for me. I'll just work full time there, and your grandparents too." and other things like that. I've been trying to enforce boundaries with her so I did my best not to budge but I'm not sure if I'm in the right.

My mental health has improved a lot in the year and a half since I stopped working for her and I think I probably could handle it anxiety wise, but the thought of going back there again still fills me with dread. On the other hand, I don't want my grandparents working there, my grandma can barely walk some days and my grandpa gets confused a lot.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for not going back to work for her?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Tythas posted:

AITA for “Using” My Father for Money?

Taking him for everything you can get out of him seems like a good idea and I'm fine with it as a concept, but this kid is pretty quickly gonna realize that no amount of cash is worth engaging with that shitpile of a person

Sjs00 posted:

I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I don't think either was really trying to "teach them a lesson"; the first one was the story of a dumb rear end in a top hat who hosed over his little sister, but he just had to be at work in the morning and couldn't be bothered to help her with something. A dick move, sure, but more stupid than malicious. The second one was just...the guy not being able to pick someone up and take them somewhere they didn't actually need to go because he had other things he needed to do. She wasn't stranded and he didn't refuse to pick her up out of malice, he just wasn't able to go five hours out of his way to accommodate her, and that's not really unfair. I can understand why you'd be annoyed if it brings up bad past memories, though.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

By the way, I know the love isn't an infatuation.

:lol:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tactlessbastard posted:

One of my brothers was working at Pizza Hut as a teenager and he wasn't supposed to be at the counter but was the only one around when this guy brings his pizza back up to the counter and says "I gotta question! This pizza is supposed to have sausage on it!" and then waits for a response. After a few seconds, the guy says, "Well?" My brother responds, "I thought you said you had a question." The guy turns purple and says "Don't you know who I am?" and brother says "Nope" and guy says "I'M ON THE CITY COUNCIL! (This was a town of 3500 people)" and brother says "What are you going to do, rezone my house?" and the guy lunged across the counter at him and had to get dragged back out of the kitchen by his wife and sons, and then they fled without paying before the cops showed up.
Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: What are you going to do, rezone my house?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjs00 posted:

Have you seen Assassination Nation?

The main characters family is heavily Conservative/Christian and when it's revealed that their (teenage) daughter was having relations with a married man they literally throw her into the street.
The only reason they find out though is due to Reddit style doxxing of her private information. It's a great movie with a very Modern perspective

I’m from the south so I’m definitely aware of this type of abusive behavior coming out of a Christian culture. I just didn’t see signs of that in those stories. But there have been several stories recently where people deliberately subjected their siblings to the wrath of their hateful religious parents. That kind of knowing sabotage is absolutely abusive. And if that’s the context here, that would change my reading a lot.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [22M] feel it’s wrong that my girlfriend [19F] started a NSFW nude account behind my back. She’s furious at me for finding it.

I’ve been dating my girlfriend for eight months, and we were both clear from the start about being monogamous. While we didn’t classify sending nudes as full on cheating, I thought we agreed that it was definitely wrong and grounds for breaking up.

I was browsing Reddit a few days ago, and came across one of the NSFW subs. Both my girlfriend and I are open about watching porn so it’s no secret between us. I wasn’t even masturbating, more just curious and bored.

But I saw a naked girl on that sub that had a suspiciously similar birthmark to my girlfriend’s. I went to her page and looked through her photos, and recognised my bathroom and bedroom in a handful of the photos. My fears were confirmed when I noticed that in one of her selfies, she’d managed to forget about a mirror hanging in her bedroom and accidentally showed her face.

I felt furious and betrayed. We had agreed to be monogamous and yet here were all these men commenting about what they’d do to her body, while she commented flirty things back.

I calmed myself down a bit, invited her over to my flat and asked her about it. It was hard not to just yell to be honest.

She immediately flew off the handle - she accused me of being unfaithful by going onto the sub in the first place, and told me she wasn’t doing anything wrong and I had no right to comment on what she could/could not do with her own body.

Now I’m totally at a loss. I don’t know whether to apologize or ask her to. I don’t know who is in the wrong and I can’t help but feel like I don’t know her at all. I’m not judging women, or indeed men, who post NSFW posts - but I didn’t think she was like that. She seemed so confident without constant need for validation.

What the hell do I do? I feel like this is a dream. Somehow I forgot those subs are filled with normal women, who could even be your girlfriend. Am I being insanely old fashioned?

Tl;Dr - found out that my girlfriend has a NSFW reddit account on which she posts nudes and videos of herself masturbating. I was hurt but now I’m in the wrong for looking at a nude sub?

eh, this isn't really cheating, her response is irrational but it sounds like she might be doing it for money. If it's sex work because she can't pay the bills, I wouldn't judge. If she likes the attention then there is something interesting going on.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Heliogabalos posted:

eh, this isn't really cheating, her response is irrational but it sounds like she might be doing it for money. If it's sex work because she can't pay the bills, I wouldn't judge. If she likes the attention then there is something interesting going on.

It’s super cheating if your SO doesn’t want you to be posting nude images of yourself to flirt with other people (for money or otherwise)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Blade Runner posted:

Taking him for everything you can get out of him seems like a good idea and I'm fine with it as a concept, but this kid is pretty quickly gonna realize that no amount of cash is worth engaging with that shitpile of a person

I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I don't think either was really trying to "teach them a lesson"; the first one was the story of a dumb rear end in a top hat who hosed over his little sister, but he just had to be at work in the morning and couldn't be bothered to help her with something. A dick move, sure, but more stupid than malicious. The second one was just...the guy not being able to pick someone up and take them somewhere they didn't actually need to go because he had other things he needed to do. She wasn't stranded and he didn't refuse to pick her up out of malice, he just wasn't able to go five hours out of his way to accommodate her, and that's not really unfair. I can understand why you'd be annoyed if it brings up bad past memories, though.

Oh I am certainly projecting here today. It is heartbreaking to me though that these OPs are in the mindsets to even need to ask for validation of their decisions in regards to their specifically younger sisters.
It really makes you wonder about the state of the world when they have the time to make a reddit post and be as 'online' as that implies over bettering their relations with their family.
The basic concept of AITA and reddit itself has just seriously fragmented the future parents of the world.
Soon they're all going to be looking to the Internet on how to raise their children from the very beginning of the child's life, if it's not already happening. People are just so ready and encouraged to second guess themselves to oblivion.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Heliogabalos posted:

it’s oppressive and sex-negative to get mad at your partner for doing sex work if it’s strictly transactional. sex workers face enough problems as it is. getting mad at your partner for this is basically the same as enacting SESTA/FOSTA

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Yawgmoth posted:

Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: What are you going to do, rezone my house?

[US] I waited for a question about a pizza and my house was rezoned as a forest preserve. My neighbor is allergic to trees and wants to sue me

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
TIFU by implying one of the people interviewing me is an alcoholic.

quote:

This happened less than an hour ago, and I'm still trying to work out how much of an impact my "joke" is likely to have on my success at getting the job. I'm not a particularly funny person, so I've got no idea why I decided this was the perfect opportunity to crack a joke.

Over the last week I've had to learn an entirely alien product/platform and prepare two presentations for today's interview. The interview was with two great people, very easy to get on with and despite the intimidating agenda, they made it very relaxed - possibly where I went wrong.

Both of my presentations go as well as I could have expected, and the interviewers are pretty complimentary considering it's an interview. Two hours later and we're wrapping up. We start talking about the general day to day office life and what's expected of the team. They go on to say if you're at a sales meeting then of course you'll be on the road, but if not, you'll be in the office (which is an office with a bar, coffee shop, games room etc). Then the guy (who's been super positive about me throughout), says in a fun way, "and there's beer here!". I got carried away and said,"well of course, that's why you're here all the time!".

Obviously, I didn't get the response I expected, and after two hours of hard grafting, I may have ruined my chances to work for a great company due to an ill-judged joke.

TL/DR After getting through an intense interview, I crack a joke and potentially ruin my chances.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you're doing something for work that is public (honestly even if it's not public you should be able to tell your SO basic facts about your life) then you should give your SO a heads up whether that thing is posting nudes on the internet, working at target or running for city council. Not necessarily for approval but just as a courtesy so neither of you is caught by surprise when your SO finds out in some way.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

areyoucontagious posted:

It’s super cheating if your SO doesn’t want you to be posting nude images of yourself to flirt with other people (for money or otherwise)

Why tf does a partner get to decide and control this? It's her decision, period. If you think a relationship requires acceding control of your actions to another person's decisions you have a really hosed up notion of what love is.

e: agree with being up front about it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Actually nah.