Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah they kind of explicitly state that Hien definitely sees the issues of old Doma and doesn't want to return to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cythereal posted:

Because Zenos' entire character is the developers wanking in front of you about how unbelievably awesome and badass and edgy he is.

Not once was Zenos ever shown in a light that could be considered remotely favorable or "cool." The dude is a literal giant monster that's the face of Garlemald's conquest. Losing to Anime Scott Steiner twice over the course of SB's MSQ didn't feel like the story was trying to pad for time, even if I feel like Stormblood should've been about either Othard or Gyr Abania exclusively.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zenos is honestly creepy. Like, every moment he's on screen feels slimy.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dr Pepper posted:

Zenos is honestly creepy. Like, every moment he's on screen feels slimy.

That honestly works really well with him, especially with his wierd admiration/ fixation on you after you challenge/ beat him

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vanderdeath posted:

Not once was Zenos ever shown in a light that could be considered remotely favorable or "cool." The dude is a literal giant monster that's the face of Garlemald's conquest. Losing to Anime Scott Steiner twice over the course of SB's MSQ didn't feel like the story was trying to pad for time, even if I feel like Stormblood should've been about either Othard or Gyr Abania exclusively.
Zenos falls pretty good into a particular trope role of the dead-eyed psycho killer who is beautiful. I don't think Stormblood was trying to valorize or justify him though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Zenos has a real serial killer vibe to him, yeah.

Also the person who thinks Zenos is awesome and badass is Asahi, and you don't want to be Asahi.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vanderdeath posted:

He's also never really been 'edgy' in the manner cythereal is trying to be dismissive with. Like the one time he got close to even pretending to be that was the "Embracing violence for it's own enjoyment" line but even that is just expanding on the idea that he geniunely doesn't give a poo poo about anything but a good fun fight to the point he'll sabotage his own army just to get a chance to fight a tougher you.

He's not Shadow the hedgehog, hell he's not even Luca Blight, he's just Jetstream Sam but with a less sexy accent and a drier sense of humor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Every bad and edgy character in JRPGS: Ught I' ma dark knight but deep down I'm trying to do good I'm just so angry and can't connect with people and like to just kill my opponents instead of letting them get away. My powers are....hard to control and you wouldn't understand

Zenos: AHAHA YES! kill my army, you're so loving cool. Punch me in the face so I can get ready to fight you.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every bad and edgy character in JRPGS: Ught I' ma dark knight but deep down I'm trying to do good I'm just so angry and can't connect with people and like to just kill my opponents instead of letting them get away. My powers are....hard to control and you wouldn't understand

Zenos: AHAHA YES! kill my army, you're so loving cool. Punch me in the face so I can get ready to fight you.

Asahi is actually a great example of the type of person who would find Zenos cool and not see him as the monster he is

It's clear he actively fucks with people not out of enjoyment, but to try to produce someone capable of challenging him, because as you said quite well he is a nihilist who believes in nothing but the thrill of a good fight.

He's just a really bored monster, and you suddenly made things interesting again; it's also why he doesn't want to let anyone else kill you

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
You can choose to define it further but Kain, Kefka, and Kuja can all be labeled as "edgy". The same designation works in this instance for Zenos.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah they kind of explicitly state that Hien definitely sees the issues of old Doma and doesn't want to return to it.

its all well and good to explicitly state that but it doesnt really help when you have things like a random guard working for hien literally being the guy that "employed" yotsuyu and nothing really coming of that as far as i remember

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

somepartsareme posted:

all zones in the first use eureka leveling where you have to collect Darkness Experience

also, the only class that can collect darkness experience is DRK, thus SE solving both their raubahn ex and lack of tanks issues with a single patch

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: On second thought, this conversation leads nowhere good.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Emalde posted:

You can choose to define it further but Kain, Kefka, and Kuja can all be labeled as "edgy". The same designation works in this instance for Zenos.
I'd say Kain is the only one here I'd call "classically edgy." Kuja is probably closer to Zenos because you can understand Kuja but not support what he does. Kefka is just down with the clown til he's dead in the ground.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

Kuja isn't edgy he's literally a baby having an existential freak out about death and the unfairness of his shortened lifespan.

He's Vivi if he didn't have any friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shadow "The Gun helps me shoot that drat 4th chaos emerald" van Hedgehog is an Edgy video game character.

There's very few FF characters that get close to that sort of characterization and all of them are in the FF7 EU. Edginess is always someone trying to write something they think is Deep and Cool and Adult but it's just juvenile. Everything in FF14 knows Zenos is an insane monsters and a huge idiot. that's the point.

Don't mix up nihilism/boredom with 'edginess' because you're basically wiping away all nuance to just try and say "It's bad because I don't like it!".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

somepartsareme posted:

its all well and good to explicitly state that but it doesnt really help when you have things like a random guard working for hien literally being the guy that "employed" yotsuyu and nothing really coming of that as far as i remember

I mean like ten minutes after you find this out he gets stabbed to death as part of yotsuyu's murder spree

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

"It's bad because I don't like it!".

Just lol if this isn't the level of critical thought you apply to media.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Blockhouse posted:

I mean like ten minutes after you find this out he gets stabbed to death as part of yotsuyu's murder spree

i forgot about that lol. I dunno it's an MMO and you can only devote so much time to fantasy politics but Hien is annoying to me as being kind of emblematic of the Stormblood plot's really liberal take on revolution. not as bad as lyse though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Just so!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Let this moment last forever!

HAVE YOU THE STRENGTH!??

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

somepartsareme posted:

i forgot about that lol. I dunno it's an MMO and you can only devote so much time to fantasy politics but Hien is annoying to me as being kind of emblematic of the Stormblood plot's really liberal take on revolution. not as bad as lyse though

No I don't think so, it's her parents that get stabbed. IIRC the guard admits that working with the liberation front was meant to be his atonement, but really he's just a coward who wanted to avoid her. I don't think you see that guard again, though I'm not sure what exact resolution you want there, as he's basically admitted to his crimes, worked with the resistance movement, and at that point trying to force him to face her is pointless because she's Tsuyu.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

somepartsareme posted:

The guard showed remorse for his actions and Doma desperately needs healthy adults after the decimation of the occupation. It's not ideal, but he was given a chance to prove he was a better man now. It's a part of the questions asked about how to deal with those needing punishment. Yotsuyu suffers a head injury and in effect becomes a new person with no memory of the crimes she commited. Fordola has magic powers that both make her feel crushing guilt over her actions and act as a powerful tool to help Eorzea. A Garlean soldier should be taken into custody but he has shown kindness to the people he helped subjugate. How strictly do you follow the rule of law in extreme situations? I'm not saying I agree with how all these outcomes took place, but it does seem to be a thread in the expansion.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sunday Morning posted:

The guard showed remorse for his actions and Doma desperately needs healthy adults after the decimation of the occupation. It's not ideal, but he was given a chance to prove he was a better man now. It's a part of the questions asked about how to deal with those needing punishment. Yotsuyu suffers a head injury and in effect becomes a new person with no memory of the crimes she commited. Fordola has magic powers that both make her feel crushing guilt over her actions and act as a powerful tool to help Eorzea. A Garlean soldier should be taken into custody but he has shown kindness to the people he helped subjugate. How strictly do you follow the rule of law in extreme situations? I'm not saying I agree with how all these outcomes took place, but it does seem to be a thread in the expansion.

Is Fordola going to show up more? She had the chance to become interesting and I would like to see more of her character arc.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Fordola going to show up more? She had the chance to become interesting and I would like to see more of her character arc.

I wouldn't expect her in 5.0, but the devs have a long memory.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Don't mix up nihilism/boredom with 'edginess' because you're basically wiping away all nuance to just try and say "It's bad because I don't like it!".

It sounds like you're the one that doesn't like it :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I wouldn't expect her in 5.0, but the devs have a long memory.

Yeah these guys never forget anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

They asked Yoshida about it in an interview, and his statement was to the effect of, "Not in 5.0, but possibly in the future." I expect she'll poke her nose up at some point when the lingering Garlean threat returns to the forefront.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

It sounds like you're the one that doesn't like it :v:

Nah both of those villainous archetypes can be fun but dumb people like to just bundle any villain that is even slightly hammy as 'edgy' in a weird way to get a early 00's own in. It's just lazy criticism that's been overdone for almost a decade at this point.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
y'all wanna see edgy

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

You can't freeze the weather here and that gave me anxiety.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My take on the expac stories:

HW was a pretty good journey of discovery and leveraged pretty much everything it could with that.
SB had some good intentions but it kind of muddled itself a bit between the ala mhigo/doma split and the supporting cast isn't as tightly bound by circumstances but there's still a lot of great moments in the story, some I'd say are better than HW's. The sidequests in particular are extremely well done and tie into the central themes of the expac better than HW's. And I'm not talking about the Hildebrand stuff, I mean the sidequests in the Ruby Sea and the Ala Mhigan settlements. Those were pretty good stories.
As for the characters in SB...

Alisae's pretty good. Her arc's pretty simple and sympathetic and she gets plenty of exposure time so you can connect with her.

Lyse is something of a mixed bag. I can see what they were going for her (I liked the scene where she and Hien had some talking time) but she needed a bit more showing and less telling to really hit what they were going for IMO.

Hien's ok. Great theme, but his character is more of a catalyst than an arc. He seems pretty tailor made to fit into the rest of the City State leaders.

Forola's pretty interesting and I do hope we get to see more of her.

Yotsuyu I didn't find that interesting. Everything was pretty much laid out in the first explanation of her deal. What I did find interesting about her whole thing was the stories and first hand accounts of the people you talk with about her. It's a nice way to develop the picture of Yotsuyu's History more and also give a little insight onto how Old Doma was at the same time. I did like how her and Gosetsu tied into one of the core themes of the expac though (like Sunday Morning said, there's a definite theme of 'what do you do with the people who served the tyrants you overthrew?' going on.)

I liked Zenos as an antagonist. Especially the encounters with him leading up to the climax, mostly for their execution (I am a real sucker for when story and gameplay integrate like that.)

Garlemald also got some good villain cred for Varus's ham acting. The wheels within wheels stuff is also interesting, both as set up and as a source of internal tension for them.

SB was a pretty good Expac and I'd say it's slightly better than HW in terms of how thorough and well written it's themes are within it. It feels like there are less dud moments/questlines that don't tie into one of SB's themes compared to HW's.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's key to Zenos that he is very very bad at his actual job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, we gotta kill us a Momcrystal.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Holy poo poo that world premier video. Hype.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah that trailer dropped some poo poo.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Goddamn this expac is gonna be good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ImpAtom posted:

Welp, we gotta kill us a Momcrystal.

How can we kill her when we're her tempered?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"The eldest... of Primals"

Some dude: "HOLY... !!!!"

How did you not see this coming?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH