Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Collapsing Farts posted:

Less American stuff please

an american one but everyone is still british actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sulphagnist posted:

Make docudramas about Hurricane Maria and Flint and maybe Republicans or Elon Musk will finally provide the money to fix that poo poo instead of car tunnels or aircraft carriers.

I really recommend the official podcast because it clarifies questions like this (yeah he wasn't at the trial, but yes it was 20 kilometers from the reactor).

Heh, you have a really high opinion of Republicans

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'd like to see a miniseries based on the coal miners strikes during the 1910's and 20's. Or maybe one just focusing on the Battle of Blair Mountain.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If we want to stay in Russia, how about the Dyatlov pass incident?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

Terrorists all over the world will be happy to hear they can now produce megaton explosions with a big steel tank full of water and some really hot graphite. Showrunners, what have you done ?

Don't worry about it, CeeJee. It can only work if it's... an inside job.

#NukeFuelDoesntMeltControlRods

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

bobfather posted:

My god, how many disasters did that guy cause??

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Randallteal posted:

My god, how many disasters did that guy cause??

I'm glad someone else had this joke in their head.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bobfather posted:

“You didn’t see an avalanche. You DIDN’T, because THERE ISN’T ONE!” :ussr:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

I'm glad someone else had this joke in their head.
You're not the only ones.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bobfather posted:

In the Russian version a downed CIA pilot stalks the poor hikers and kills them one by one. Also, the CIA created a Yeti in the lab and let it lose.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Wanna see the version of the miracle on ice where cia agents make them lose at hockey somehow

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Wanna see the version of the miracle on ice where cia agents make them lose at hockey somehow

X-files did this one already.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fatherboxx posted:

Ryan Murphy planned to do it as an American Crime Story season but it got axed unfortunately.
Maybe they will revive it because of Chernobyl's success.

The OJ one was great and I really liked Feud, but I bounced hard off of the Versace one.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kaesarsosei posted:

The Kursk submarine disaster would be a decent subject for another show like this.

Coming this summer: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_command

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'm reminded a bit of the old German film Das Boot, which was all about the squalid conditions aboard a German U Boat, as well as what it was like to be a common German soldier at the mercy of German military leadership.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

canyoneer posted:

The OJ one was great and I really liked Feud, but I bounced hard off of the Versace one.

Feud? Huh

I finished the Versace one it was good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

I'm reminded a bit of the old German film Das Boot, which was all about the squalid conditions aboard a German U Boat, as well as what it was like to be a common German soldier at the mercy of German military leadership.

Please, they're sailors

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

an american one but everyone is still british actors.

A series in 8 parts of how America was founded with only british actors playing the americans and americans playing the british

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After the rewatch the character of Emily Watson doesnt add anything that a real female scientist couldnt have added or if they choose they could have added the bunch of scientist that they named in the epilogue

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DoctorGonzo posted:

After the rewatch the character of Emily Watson doesnt add anything that a real female scientist couldnt have added or if they choose they could have added the bunch of scientist that they named in the epilogue

...and paid and scheduled a dozen or so actors for a 5-episode miniseries, with each of them chiming in with a seperate field of expertise that an audience of non-experts would have a hard time to parse.

When I type that out, I honestly figure that a single character to represent them all was moreso made to save production costs and also to summarise their joint findings.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reading that you are right, maybe in a 10 season or whatever the scientific part would have more time to breath, in 5 episodes they had to condense

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You guys are still going on about this eh.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

To be fair it's a whole new person.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Unormal posted:

I think the Challenger disaster is probably the most natural second season.

And they need to include the part where those astronauts are free falling to their deaths without any way to save themselves.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They should do one about the containment unit shutdown in Ghostbusters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You didn't eat a twinkie. YOU DIDN'T because it NEVER EXISTED!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The flaws of Emily Watson’s character are the same as the finale’s: the show transitions into fiction that is no longer moored by the engaging if gruesome details of the disaster and its response.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

fatherboxx posted:

Ryan Murphy planned to do it as an American Crime Story season but it got axed unfortunately.

I really hope so. The outline was amazing.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CainFortea posted:

To be fair it's a whole new person.

I would prefer if we instead had one fictional poster that represented all the real posters hating on Emily Watson's character in the background, so that we could simplify the narrative and move on easily.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I would prefer if we instead had one fictional poster that represented all the real posters hating on Emily Watson's character in the background, so that we could simplify the narrative and move on easily.

But will they post with an English or Russian accent?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CainFortea posted:

But will they post with an English or Russian accent?

Neither.

They will have Dutch accents, as everyone knows the Dutch are the most evil.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

Neither.

Make a show about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia_(ship

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do this disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Estonia

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

do a show about this thread

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!
A series about Hiroshima & Nagasaki with the production/direction quality of Chernobyl could be incredible. Especially if they could work this guy in to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

wikipedia posted:

At 11 am on August 9, Yamaguchi was describing the blast in Hiroshima to his supervisor, when the American bomber Bockscar dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb over the city. His workplace again put him 3 km from ground zero, but this time he was unhurt by the explosion.[7] However, he was unable to replace his now ruined bandages and he suffered from a high fever and continuous vomiting for over a week

This man would of course be played by Jared Harris.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

fatherboxx posted:

I panicked and looked it up, but ACS is still on with multiple seasons forecast, it's just the Katrina topic that was scrapped

quote:

On American Crime Story, Landgraf noted that there are four ideas on the table, but he doesn’t know which one will go first. “There’s the likelihood that they’ll all be produced over time,” he said.

However, you can nix the long-gestating Katrina version which was going to be Murphy’s sociological and human rights study on how New Orleans went sideways at the hands of city corruption during the hurricane. We hear that Scott Rudin, who own the rights to the Five Days at Memorial’ book, on which the most recent version of the Katrina ACS installment was based, may shop the project elsewhere.

Landgraf noted that several of the ideas are “in advanced stages. “I’m very optimistic that we will have something in the next couple of years, and I’m optimistic that we will have multiple more cycles of that show,” he told Deadline.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/fx-bos...ina-1202549194/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Gonz posted:

Neither.

This isn't untrue...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

darkerthantheday posted:

A series about Hiroshima & Nagasaki with the production/direction quality of Chernobyl could be incredible. Especially if they could work this guy in to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

This man would of course be played by Jared Harris.

"Would you say it looked like that?" *gestures to window*

"uh...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that when there was the shot of the smoking plant with a column of blue light up into the sky.