Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Elentor posted:

"The eldest... of Primals"

Some dude: "HOLY... !!!!"

How did you not see this coming?????

I didn't, because how does one primal temper another primal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Solus isn't exactly a reliable viewpoint, but he's probably more knowledgeable than most.

I found more interesting sin eaters are in some amount integrated into society as long as their sacrifice quota is kept up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Solus isn't exactly a reliable viewpoint, but he's probably more knowledgeable than most.

I found more interesting sin eaters are in some amount integrated into society as long as their sacrifice quota is kept up.

I mean, we do know that not-Limsa is corrupt and decadent as hell, while suffering less from the sin eaters than elsewhere, and now we know why.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cabbit posted:

As Papalymo said, the rules are extremely loose and it was never clear and cut to figure out what is what, part of the original campaign was people slowly realizing that every time they established how Primals worked something unusual would happen. I just always assumed that Hydaelyn was like the Idea of Evil in Berserk and all the other thoughtforms and manifestations, including the ones that were born in realms, realities and dimensions outside its domain were still bound by causality and the rules it establishes to an extent, with people becoming Godlike entities, serving as its emissaries and heralds to a certain extent. It's a common theme and one that seemed to be the only logical endgame in my head.

I never played 1.0 but the first moment I heard people talk about the tempering I was like "Oh okay, so that ominous presentation I had in the opening with Hydaelyn telling me about how I'm the chosen one was probably my tempering, it goes with people not remembering anything before it as well."

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up revealing the Echo is just the nice Primals' way of tempering you and being subtle about it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 11, 2019

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i for one am surprised by the twist because i don't think about stuff too hard :downs:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Cabbit posted:

We've already seen this: Bahamut tempering Phoenix.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Willias posted:

We've already seen this: Bahamut tempering Phoenix.

I really ought to do that thing.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Elentor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up revealing the Echo is just the nice Primals' way of tempering you and being subtle about it.

It's definitely gonna be this.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
gently caress I wish I hadn't seen that. I like being surprised in the moment. Time to go on blackout, I suppose

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elentor posted:

It is a bit convenient how much the Echo seems to randomly trigger at critical moments to gently nudge you in a certain direction, huh?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I bet that when the old man said dark knight, he meant dark night, since who gives a poo poo about a job that's not native to the First? But we know the First has been stuck with eternal daytime. Clever punning, localization team.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like taking Fantasy Hitler at his word completely might not be the best idea.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I can't read Hydaelyn without hearing AVGN in my head say "Hyyyyyyyyyyydlide"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFOf70RyERU&t=1m0s

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Elentor posted:

As Papalymo said, the rules are extremely loose and it was never clear and cut to figure out what is what, part of the original campaign was people slowly realizing that every time they established how Primals worked something unusual would happen. I just always assumed that Hydaelyn was like the Idea of Evil in Berserk and all the other thoughtforms and manifestations, including the ones that were born in realms, realities and dimensions outside its domain were still bound by causality and the rules it establishes to an extent, with people becoming Godlike entities, serving as its emissaries and heralds to a certain extent. It's a common theme and one that seemed to be the only logical endgame in my head.

I never played 1.0 but the first moment I heard people talk about the tempering I was like "Oh okay, so that ominous presentation I had in the opening with Hydaelyn telling me about how I'm the chosen one was probably my tempering, it goes with people not remembering anything before it as well."

I've always thought this poo poo in bold since I played this goofy game for a few months. Thanks Miura for putting that one in my head!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's definitely gonna be this.

Yeah. Ifrit pretty much says to your face you've already been claimed.

Vermain posted:

It is a bit convenient how much the Echo seems to randomly trigger at critical moments to gently nudge you in a certain direction, huh?

Honestly, I played the entire game under the assumption that the Echo was just a convenient name given to the tempering the heroes receive and our mute psychotic character with no backstory just makes a lot of sense under it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I feel like taking Fantasy Hitler at his word completely might not be the best idea.

Well that's the point of a trailer isn't it, to present a bombshell in a misleading way? There's always more to what's going on than what is revealed in a trailer.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

In the trailer, 100 years is mentioned. I wonder if time shenanigans resulted in the Scions fighting for 100 years. That would explain somethings.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The bomb at the end is a bomb yeah but really this has me more intrigued. We were all under the impression that Minfilia de-aged when she went to The First but now I'm wondering if maybe it is actually a direct parallel world situation and there alternate versions of people around. It would explain why everyone that got soul-snatched over conveniently has their own bodies and also why there's seemingly two Minfilias.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ither posted:

In the trailer, 100 years is mentioned. I wonder if time shenanigans resulted in the Scions fighting for 100 years. That would explain somethings.

It's possible, but it could also be referring to the Warriors of Darkness. They almost certainly have a big role in all this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Something else from the trailer, which is so trivial that I'm not going to bother to spoiler: did Alphinaud seem taller? Swear to God he was nearly as tall as the WoL-- still short for a giraffe, but considerably more than he's been.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cabbit posted:

Something else from the trailer, which is so trivial that I'm not going to bother to spoiler: did Alphinaud seem taller? Swear to God he was nearly as tall as the WoL-- still short for a giraffe, but considerably more than he's been.
If there's been some kind of time shock he and Alisaie are about due for a growth spurt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cabbit posted:

I think that was just the camera angle, which was looking up at them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elentor posted:

Honestly, I played the entire game under the assumption that the Echo was just a convenient name given to the tempering the heroes receive and our mute psychotic character with no backstory just makes a lot of sense under it.
Important to remember "tempering" is already a shorthand we use, but technically it really only applies to Ifrit, and every other primal has its own word for it, drowning, sundering, touching etc. So what you're saying is pretty well backed up. But also there was that scene back in 2.3 or 2.4 with the Sahagin priest that had the echo, and people like Ysayle, that suggests maybe the echo is a separate but related thing. Maybe the Hydaelyn version of tempering is just warrior-of-lighting, idk

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Gorelab posted:

It probably isn't a lie, but also probably isn't completely truthful. There's something he's omitting.

It's a bit of a trope isn't it? Big bad guy reveals knowledge the main hero didn't have that is mostly true and makes the hero question what they've been doing up to this point?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Another thing to consider is that we barely know anything about primals still and the Ascians know more than they let on, so they'll twist facts and whatnot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Important to remember "tempering" is already a shorthand we use, but technically it really only applies to Ifrit, and every other primal has its own word for it, drowning, sundering, touching etc. So what you're saying is pretty well backed up. But also there was that scene back in 2.3 or 2.4 with the Sahagin priest that had the echo, and people like Ysayle, that suggests maybe the echo is a separate but related thing. Maybe the Hydaelyn version of tempering is just warrior-of-lighting, idk
Another possible explanation on the matter gettin spoiled on here:

There seems to be no actual guarantee that tempering works that way in general, or that it's fundamentally incurable. We have Ga Bu sitting there and I suspect that if there is a patch quest subplot it will finally be about cracking open tempering, or being able to undo it, or something. Similarly the Eastern primal-like beings didn't seem to Temper anyone, and even in the Eorzean classic ones, Moggle Mog didn't and Ramuh seemed to only do so inadvertently by his presence.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi
I WAS DRIVING TO EDMONTON DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE BUT I'VE HEARD A RUMOR

it was perhaps teased that we're getting a FF8 raid? Aka we may interact with the wholesome, beloved cast of the greatest Final Fantasy game ever made?????

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'd wait to see a bit more before deciding that Solus is a reliable and unbiased source.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What makes Eikons special? The Garleans use the Allagan word incorrectly. If age and power are the reason why they're special and apart from primals, you'd think it'd apply to hydie and zod

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

Ysayle is a great case because she illustrates how Papalymo's crusade was a folly because thinking of Primals in terms of Primals is not how the universe works. Ysayle just believed something very hard and used herself as a vessel for it, and got kicked super hard by a "real" Primal. At which point you get to ask things like: Can Shiva temper people? Can she temper people as well as Ifrit? Can Ysayle as a person retain the understanding of what that entails? Also, Ysayle becomes sort of able to transform in and out more or less at will, is Ysayle then a Primal? She was also able to preserve consciousness as Shiva and not go on a crazy rampage. Nothing about Ysayle is like some other Primals we see.

Ysayle was an unreliable narrator about herself, and the scientist people trying to figure out Primals were constantly one-upped. I wouldn't be surprised if the Primal who's literally a gigantic Crystal, the thing other Primals seem to constantly crave for, can override their tempering or if each tempering has a rule of its own just like the Primals do.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't remember where its from, but this is cosplaying some anime character, isn't it?

Yes... but also I have no idea who. I was running around like this:

But my friend saw and linked me to a pick of that character and said I should do that, so I changed it. But I have no idea how who that was.

Sunset Gemini or something like that?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im glad they showed something interesting at the conference instead of just re-showing the CG trailer

cause there was certainly nothing else interesting to me in that conference

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know if solus is telling the truth here or not (or how much of the truth), but i just hope that line isn't the 5.0 end-of-msq stinger. im gonna be a grumpy gus if we need to wait another 4 months to learn what's up there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i dont know if solus is telling the truth here or not (or how much of the truth), but i just hope that line isn't the 5.0 end-of-msq stinger. im gonna be a grumpy gus if we need to wait another 4 months to learn what's up there.
That would be really hosed up if they dropped that in the trailer, I'm guessing its something that happens like 3 hours in

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I'm excited.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I've got a completely different line of pondering based on the new trailer. So in that last bit with Solus, the paintings on the walls...

They kind of look like the Elementals. Those weird incomprehensible things from the Twelveswood.

They've got a similar sort of shape. And if you'll recall, the City of Amdapor was destroyed by said Elementals. Amdapor, a city built on the power of White Magic, which was apparently abused to the point that the Elementals flipped the table and flooded the world. Amdapor, full of creatures that look a whole hell of a lot like sin eaters. And I don't think it's ever quite been made clear just what the heck some of these Amdapori beasties are, or how they were made, other than some of them being animated statues. So... they're people, huh? Light-corrupted people? Interesting.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

homeless snail posted:

That would be really hosed up if they dropped that in the trailer, I'm guessing its something that happens like 3 hours in

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they dropped the end of the MSQ in a trailer. HW's trailer did exactly that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FeatherFloat posted:

I've got a completely different line of pondering based on the new trailer. So in that last bit with Solus, the paintings on the walls...

They kind of look like the Elementals. Those weird incomprehensible things from the Twelveswood.

They've got a similar sort of shape. And if you'll recall, the City of Amdapor was destroyed by said Elementals. Amdapor, a city built on the power of White Magic, which was apparently abused to the point that the Elementals flipped the table and flooded the world. Amdapor, full of creatures that look a whole hell of a lot like sin eaters. And I don't think it's ever quite been made clear just what the heck some of these Amdapori beasties are, or how they were made, other than some of them being animated statues. So... they're people, huh? Light-corrupted people? Interesting.

They're constructs that are powered/animated/whatever by white magic.

It's possible they the Amdapori somehow encountered sin eaters and built them based off them? Alternatively, they just enslaved sin eaters so well that everyone thought they were constructs.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

justblais posted:

I WAS DRIVING TO EDMONTON DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE BUT I'VE HEARD A RUMOR

it was perhaps teased that we're getting a FF8 raid? Aka we may interact with the wholesome, beloved cast of the greatest Final Fantasy game ever made?????

the new raid is called "eden" and has characters designed by tetsuya nomura. ff8 had "eden" designed by tetsuya nomura. huge if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

somepartsareme posted:

the new raid is called "eden" and has characters designed by tetsuya nomura. ff8 had "eden" designed by tetsuya nomura. huge if true
This Nomura guy sounds like an interesting talent, can we get him to work on another FF title? Say the FF7 remake?