Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, there's reason to be wary, but nothing concrete has been said and marketing speak is sometimes hard to make heads or tails of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Starsnostars posted:

You forgot the name of the game but I bet you remembered that Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I also remembered that Emma Frost doesn't have Ice based powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
hope no one got their hopes up too high

https://twitter.com/seftonhill/status/1136038340652916736?s=21

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ok, this was surprisingly good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBojdBAjXU

No character creation, play as the actual Avengers in a story/campaign. It is going to have free continuous updates and coop multiplayer and no lootboxes but that's mostly a guessing game as to how they will monetize it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1138267432265691138

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I figure we will have to pay for things like alternate costumes so they can say poo poo like “nothing in the game is pay to win, it’s all cosmetic!” and blah blah blah.

That “it’s all cosmetic” poo poo always bums me out because people these days treat it like a bonus but I feel like they’re just charging us for poo poo we use to get with the base game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I figure we will have to pay for things like alternate costumes so they can say poo poo like “nothing in the game is pay to win, it’s all cosmetic!” and blah blah blah.

That “it’s all cosmetic” poo poo always bums me out because people these days treat it like a bonus but I feel like they’re just charging us for poo poo we use to get with the base game.

The thing is that it's not quite so simple. Games have not increased their price in 12 years while the complexity and development time for everything has increased. Making a new costume now is a significantly greater investment of time. A lot of this stuff just straight-up would not exist without paid DLC .When you talk about how we 'used to get with the base game' you're talking about games that had fewer polygons total than Spider-Man's asscrack has these days.

That doesn't mean it can't be predatory or scammy but it isn't a case of "it would be free if not for that." It's far more likely a lot of it straight-up wouldn't exist.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, this Avengers game looks bad. All cg and no gameplay, the art style is just kinda ugly, everyone looks like Halloween store bootleg avengers, and starting the game with 4 guys and then adding more over time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
And as much as I love Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey, they could have probably given the VA roles to the less exposed people. Hell surprised they didn't have Travis there as the Hulk or Thor

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The art is exceedingly boring. And I say that as someone who usually doesn't care much at all about how a game looks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's going on with Tony stark

https://twitter.com/itskindred/status/1138268747058286593?s=19

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That looks terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The characters look weird but I thought the Spider-Man ones looked pretty strange too. Cap's costume sucks horribly though. He looks like some pudgy cosplayer.

Probably wanna see more info on this, but it's hilarious that the makers of Tomb Raider which is all about someone using a bow and arrow didn't have loving Hawkeye in the game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well apparently caps dead so you wont have to look at it long

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
not really feeling this one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They went with a movie look but didn't have the rights to the likenesses so now we're stuck with this uncanny valley nightmare.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I get that the MCU is insanely popular (and more importantly insanely marketable) but I don't like just using movie costumes in games when there are so many other good options out there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the mcu version of cap had a better costume than that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

the mcu version of cap had a better costume than that

The Avengers disagrees.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay but winter soldier, civil war, infinity war, and endgame kinda outweigh that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that it's not quite so simple. Games have not increased their price in 12 years while the complexity and development time for everything has increased. Making a new costume now is a significantly greater investment of time. A lot of this stuff just straight-up would not exist without paid DLC .When you talk about how we 'used to get with the base game' you're talking about games that had fewer polygons total than Spider-Man's asscrack has these days.

That doesn't mean it can't be predatory or scammy but it isn't a case of "it would be free if not for that." It's far more likely a lot of it straight-up wouldn't exist.

I get that it's more complicated now, but Spider-Man PS4 has a bazillion and 2 costumes in the base game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The Avengers disagrees.

I would rather have the america's rear end costume than whatever that plated monstrosity was.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

achillesforever6 posted:

Hell surprised they didn't have Travis there as the Hulk or Thor

Travis Willingham is Thor. :v: Though I definitely agree, it's getting to parody levels of these guys winding up in everything.

Also the game sounds... really weird. They said free content updates, but does that mean expanding on its story mode? Is the multiplayer part completely separate from the campaign? They were super fuzzy on the structure details besides "it's a GaaS deal" and "no loot boxes we promise." The presentation was real incoherent and not showing any actual gameplay despite having a demo available is... a choice, I guess.

Also if they're not blindly handcuffed to the MCU's mistakes, would it have killed them to have more than 1 lady on the team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The free content is probably (hopefully) like the free missions in Asscreed Odyssey.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Shots of that reel were pretty clearly gameplay with the UI removed.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
What I'm most excited about is that the rumours about which character you start the story with are looking like they're true.

For the people who don't follow video game rumours, the cutscene where Tony and Bruce argue mentions a terrigen reactor and the voiceover at the start of the trailer is pretty fannish. What's the first character that comes to mind when you say inhuman and fan(girl)?

Edit: Just remembered that the extended Bruce and Tony cutscene was a part of Squenix's conference and not the trailer.

sam16 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 11, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Shots of that reel were pretty clearly gameplay with the UI removed.

Yeah there's some obvious 3rd person game camera shots in there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

There's a company called Arcade1up that makes 3/4 scale arcade cabinets that include classic games. For E3, they announced two new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWc8LDDHBw

The TMNT one is looking to retail for $350 and includes the original arcade game and Turtles In Time and the Marvel ($299) one includes the two pre-MvC fighting games (Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men Children of the Atom) and The Punisher side scroller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I get that it's more complicated now, but Spider-Man PS4 has a bazillion and 2 costumes in the base game.

That is because it was a selling point for the game to have a billion costumes. I'm not saying it isn't awesome just that they made it a central part of the mechanics and budgeted accordingly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spider-man is also a PS4 exclusive. Exclusives like that get to spend more money because their job isn't to make a ton of money on their own, it's to push console sales and improve the overall image of the console. Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are also huge money blocks like Spidey made for the prestige.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Square Enix seriously screwed up by not just letting the Play Arts Kai people do the character designs for the Avengers game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RevKrule posted:

There's a company called Arcade1up that makes 3/4 scale arcade cabinets that include classic games. For E3, they announced two new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWc8LDDHBw

The TMNT one is looking to retail for $350 and includes the original arcade game and Turtles In Time and the Marvel ($299) one includes the two pre-MvC fighting games (Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men Children of the Atom) and The Punisher side scroller.

I have the Street Fighter one and I modded it so it's actually pretty nice, but super cramped. I can't imagine getting 4 people on TMNT even with a bigger deck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

Square Enix seriously screwed up by not just letting the Play Arts Kai people do the character designs for the Avengers game.

Then the game would cost $250 for some reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sam16 posted:

What I'm most excited about is that the rumours about which character you start the story with are looking like they're true.

For the people who don't follow video game rumours, the cutscene where Tony and Bruce argue mentions a terrigen reactor and the voiceover at the start of the trailer is pretty fannish. What's the first character that comes to mind when you say inhuman and fan(girl)?

Edit: Just remembered that the extended Bruce and Tony cutscene was a part of Squenix's conference and not the trailer.

Yeah, I figured that the voiceover was from Kamala. Would have been nice to see her though instead of the cosplay Avengers.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Why bother with MCU-type costumes if you're not going to give us Ragnarok Thor. Or Lebowski Thor even.

I have a Kevin Smith sized blindspot when it comes to Marvel, but this game looks like utter poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no sweater and glasses wearing smart hulk 0/10

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kevin Smith is skinny as gently caress these days. He was already pretty trim, but after his heart attack he went vegan.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kevin Smith is skinny as gently caress these days. He was already pretty trim, but after his heart attack he went vegan.

Oh yeah, I know. I meant in the sense that Kevin is unapologetically unable to say a bad word against Marvel. He's such a fanboy that just seeing comic book characters on screen doing stuff is enough for him, which I absolutely relate to.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Avengers looks dull as dirt, but Ultimate Alliance 3 has Nextwave characters in it so there will be at least one good Marvel game this holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Avengers looks dull as dirt, but Ultimate Alliance 3 has Nextwave characters in it so there will be at least one good Marvel game this holiday.

UA3 comes out next month.