Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Great to see Magneto once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Confirmed officially by Marvel themselves that Square's game is being shown off at E3.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1133750225561165826

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1134184467273277448

Sounding pretty live servicey there....The word "continuous" worries me.

Also, wonder if it's customizing existing heroes with loadouts and poo poo or full on creation

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Could mean drop-in/drop-out a la Ultimate Alliance or the Lego games.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rumour is youre a shield agent, so presumably some customization there

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

iirc the years ago rumor was that it was going to be a much more "epic" cinematic, high production value version of the Ultimate Alliance stuff. Far fewer playable characters and I think based off/limited to the MCU stuff?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wonder if this is going to follow up any on Marvel's interest in a gaming universe when Spider-Man was coming out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gaz-L posted:

Could mean drop-in/drop-out a la Ultimate Alliance or the Lego games.

Yea, people joining your session or you calling for help and such. I think that if it were GAAS it'd probably be worded "Continuous Campaign/Story/Development"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Rumour is youre a shield agent, so presumably some customization there

Making a game about the most popular super heroes in the world and forcing the player character to be a nameless grunt who fetches coffee for Sam Jackson does seem like a pretty AAA Gaming thing to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was wrong, its going to be a GAAS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so I think if people were hoping this would be like Spider-Man they'll be disappointed, it looks to me like much more of a Division forevergame

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Crowetron posted:

Making a game about the most popular super heroes in the world and forcing the player character to be a nameless grunt who fetches coffee for Sam Jackson does seem like a pretty AAA Gaming thing to do.

The annoying thing is that conceptually, it's not the worst idea in the world, since (you can at least imagine) that there's a world where you can get individual Iron Man/Captain America/Thor/Hulk games, and the big multiplayer "Here's all the heroes" Gauntlet/Diablo-y style games already exist.

The other annoying thing is that it has yet to be executed correctly, because that Silicon Knights X-Men game was loving terrible. I'd say "Give me a Bioware X-Men game where I control an original new character and can be gently romantically rejected by Storm" but those guys are less of a sure bet than ever lately, so....

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 31, 2019

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I guess they could make it like, you're a shield agent but then you get dosed with one of the billions ways you get superpowers in the Marvel universe and then you get to customise your power set and get secondary mutations as you go on adventures and poo poo. Would still feel like an odd choice to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Crowetron posted:

Excuse me. Let me tell you about a flash game for Facebook called Avengers Assemble.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It feels really weird that no one has even attempted an action rpg where you start as a create-your-own character young mutant starting your first day at Xavier’s Academy, because that feels like the most obvious idea in the world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It feels really weird that no one has even attempted an action rpg where you start as a create-your-own character young mutant starting your first day at Xavier’s Academy, because that feels like the most obvious idea in the world.

That's basically what X-men Legends was, minus the creating your own character part. Hello NEW CHARACTER let's have a walking tour of the X-men universe. Oh no it's the Juggernaut(tm)! Don't worry, Cyclops(tm) and Wolverine(tm) are going to take care of it, but you can help too! Maybe someday you'll be as big a deal as they are, possibly later in the game!

I think it was also the initial plan for that Silicon Knights game until the scope got greatly reduced and you were only allowed to play as 3 stock new X-men.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm way more weary of the Square Avengers game now, but I'm still interested in watching the trailer at least.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Question IRL posted:

Excuse me. Let me tell you about a flash game for Facebook called Avengers Assemble.
It was so good and I miss it so much :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm way more weary of the Square Avengers game now, but I'm still interested in watching the trailer at least.

I feel like the language being used is still too vague to render a full judgement before seeing it in full.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Samuringa posted:

I was wrong, its going to be a GAAS

I was hoping I would be proven wrong...

...and we get a lovely presumably microtransaction heavy game that is more interested in making a buck then be a fun game that shows off the fun and bizarre Marvel Universe and it's characters. It's not like people want to, you know, be the Avengers and blow poo poo up with their favs. Instead, we get MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER CAPTAIN NEW ZELAND!

Well, looks like Spider-Man PS4 was a lucky accident (With lovely pro-pig propaganda that was rammed down our throats), and Marvel's games are going to lag behind DC's...Oh wait, Arkham Series is over, there's just Injustice. Superhero games really aren't very lucky.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One day we'll get an Avengers musou game, consarn it

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

The Question IRL posted:

Avengers Alliance, you philistine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DCU Online is coming to Switch.

https://twitter.com/DCUO/status/1134514624894853120

In other news, DCU Online is somehow still a thing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's free, you fucks!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
DCU Online was a Sony Online Entertainment joint, and all of those got spun off into an independent company called Daybreak a while back that apparently intends to keep running all those live services until the heat death of the universe. It just picked up Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, both of which apparently still have enough of a player community that it's worth keeping the servers on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't since Avengers basically set up the Chitauri as the perfect faceless mooks to kill en masse.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
The ultron robots too

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Do not pursue Lu Bu Thanos!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wanderer posted:

DCU Online was a Sony Online Entertainment joint, and all of those got spun off into an independent company called Daybreak a while back that apparently intends to keep running all those live services until the heat death of the universe. It just picked up Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online, both of which apparently still have enough of a player community that it's worth keeping the servers on.

I mean, they've kept EverQuest going for 20+ years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One of my coworkers is in the top Everquest guild. Ice T made a video poo poo talking a rival guild a couple months ago.

Is anything confirmed about the new Avengers game, or are people getting worked up over nothing?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The new Ultimate Alliance is already halfway there. The Infinity Trials even sound a lot like the Adventure Maps from Hyrule Warriors

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

I mean, they've kept EverQuest going for 20+ years.

I have often wondered how much of that is down to a legitimately dedicated player community, and how much is from some sizable number of people who are very bad at checking their credit card statements every month.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Avengers Alliance, you philistine

*Gasp*
You're right.

So what's the protocol now. Do I join the Nights Watch, undertake a doomed quest or will only seppuku restore my clans honour?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

The Question IRL posted:

*Gasp*
You're right.

So what's the protocol now. Do I join the Nights Watch, undertake a doomed quest or will only seppuku restore my clans honour?

You forgot the name of the game but I bet you remembered that Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Game Informer article mentions a team bonus for Midnight Sons. I think Blade was announced, but I hadn’t heard anything about Ghost Rider.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Starsnostars posted:

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Not anymore...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Game Informer article mentions a team bonus for Midnight Sons. I think Blade was announced, but I hadn’t heard anything about Ghost Rider.

Technically, after the Damnation crossover, that could also include Iron Fist or Moon Knight. Ghost Rider wouldn't exactly be a surprise, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They got Spawn in the dang Mortal Kombat DLC. No images or footage, just Spawn's in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Keith David is voicing him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A while back, apparently because the company that made the Switch port wasn't as diligent about hiding data as NRS is, a bunch of intro dialogues were found in the code that were responsible for the first two waves of DLC getting leaked. Among them was a bunch of possible intro dialogue for Spawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkeZA4Ihs3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

One of my coworkers is in the top Everquest guild. Ice T made a video poo poo talking a rival guild a couple months ago.

Is anything confirmed about the new Avengers game, or are people getting worked up over nothing?

That one dude is looking certifiably insane so don't worry about him.

We don't know much of anything.