Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm kind of amazed terraria has gone on this long

Best value in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I'm probably gonna die to Moon Lord on master a whole bunch.

Also hyped for the eventual 1.4 release when it comes out.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The thing that intrigues me the most isn't in the trailer, but was part of the presentation: they called this the penultimate update, indicating they're planning a 1.5 after this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nighthand posted:

The thing that intrigues me the most isn't in the trailer, but was part of the presentation: they called this the penultimate update, indicating they're planning a 1.5 after this.

That has been officially explained as the guy not knowing what penultimate actually meant. They aren't planning more content updates anymore.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Didn't they also say they weren't planning anything else after 1.2 and 1.3? Though I suppose calling it Journey's End is pretty definitive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cat Mattress posted:

That has been officially explained as the guy not knowing what penultimate actually meant. They aren't planning more content updates anymore.

Really? That's amazing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think this really is the final update, apart from bug fixes and balance work. Game has been going for near 10 years with endless free content additions and QOL adds.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
What's really crazy is that no one's managed to replicate the formula enough to stand out. Starbound is the worst, It Lurks Below is okay but is meant to be more of a dungeon crawler. Dig or die wasn't bad for a one man project, but it was aggressively mediocre.

There are so many attempts but none of them can figure out what makes Terraria so good.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

What's really crazy is that no one's managed to replicate the formula enough to stand out. Starbound is the worst, It Lurks Below is okay but is meant to be more of a dungeon crawler. Dig or die wasn't bad for a one man project, but it was aggressively mediocre.

There are so many attempts but none of them can figure out what makes Terraria so good.

They're all copying Terraria is the problem. Everyone had their own 'what if terraria had 'x', oh let me make my own terraria game with my idea'

Terraria looked like it was a 2d minecraft knockoff when it was actually it's own thing with cute 16 bit graphics.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Terraria was May 2011... and Minecraft was November 2011. I suppose Minecraft was a thing people knew and played before then back to 2009, but Terraria has always really felt like its own thing, and not just "dig game but 2D"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I thought Dig or Die was pretty good. Structures breaking if they don't have enough weight support made early challenges like crossing the chasm to the west fairly involved. Having all of it happen on one life (with saving allowed whenever) also forced you to be careful about making sure you can get out of any pit you dig yourself into. There's an underground lake about halfway down the map that requires some tricky architecture to escape from, so chances are you end up stuck underground for an extended period in the midgame until you can build your way back to the cavern layer.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
To me terraria has always been Zelda 2 but moreso.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Part of what it has is a lot of absurd escalation and sheer quality and variety, It would take a lot of time and effort to get that feeling of progression that terraria has that makes just going around looking for items fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Didn't they also say they weren't planning anything else after 1.2 and 1.3? Though I suppose calling it Journey's End is pretty definitive.

1.4 has been on the docket since before the Switch version was announced.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Black August posted:

Terraria was May 2011... and Minecraft was November 2011. I suppose Minecraft was a thing people knew and played before then back to 2009, but Terraria has always really felt like its own thing, and not just "dig game but 2D"

Nah, Minecraft blew up way before the release and people were definitely comparing terraria to it when it was new. The friend who told me about it described it as “2D Minecraft”

It definitely is its own thing and at 1.3 they’re almost incomparable but people will see extremely superficial similarities in games and act like they’re carbon copies

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Even at launch it was pretty different, but that was the obvious surface level comparison.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah Minecraft was definitely big before Terraria was even in development. It had sold over a million copies in January 2011 and that's when Redigit started on Terraria.

And people definitely did call it "2D Minecraft" at the time, but that was a weak and basically wrong take then and it would be even more wrong now.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zoig posted:

Part of what it has is a lot of absurd escalation and sheer quality and variety, It would take a lot of time and effort to get that feeling of progression that terraria has that makes just going around looking for items fun.

I think this is the big thing, going from plodding on foot and taking a full second to dig through a stone tile to flying into outer space in a single bound while instantly drilling out screen-sized holes is a sense of progression to make the most egregious Metroidvania blush.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black August posted:

Your timeline's way off. Minecraft Indev was late 2009, and survival test a few months prior to that. Apparently Indev only lasted a few months, but at the time it felt like forever.
This was back when development was going really fast, I guess. That pace seems almost surreal now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I think this is the big thing, going from plodding on foot and taking a full second to dig through a stone tile to flying into outer space in a single bound while instantly drilling out screen-sized holes is a sense of progression to make the most egregious Metroidvania blush.
Being actually better than you were, rather than making 90% of progress gating QoL or treadmill is a huge loving deal, yeah.

And while shortswords are quickly forgotten, I've always appreciated the fact they start you out with one. Really sets the tone compared to just dumping you into an open field with your bare hands and/or a pickaxe equivalent.

Where crafting your first wooden sword, is because it's convenient, rather than being entirely hosed without it. Even if I still really, really need to get around to sticking with the game long enough to see Hell after beating up giant bees.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 11, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

Even if I still really, really need to get around to sticking with the game long enough to see Hell after beating up giant bees.
Wow there is so much of the game you haven't even seen

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah hell is essentially the end of the first act of 3 at this point

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Have you gone to the dungeon? There's a bunch of cool stuff in there, too, some of which helps preparing for Hell, or combines with hell materials to make good poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Wow there is so much of the game you haven't even seen
The fact it's all amazing poo poo I'm at least aware of both helps, and makes it worse at the same time :buddy:

(Yeah the dungeon is also on my embarrassing to-do list.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Wow, are they adding storms? Super cool. I hope cheat sheet lets me summon storms on demand.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Does 1.4 mean we get a new thread too

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's been that way for the past several releases. Though I don't have any plans to make the 1.4 thread whenever that comes out. Writing informative OPs is hard, yo!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Terraria is pretty much 2D Minecraft, it's just the game Minecraft promised it'd be instead of stalling out in beta before slapping a Skyrim dragon on it and calling it done

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The bestiary window gives me hope that they're going to redo the crafting interface so that you aren't scrolling a vertical list with over a hundred entries anymore.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Rime posted:

The bestiary window gives me hope that they're going to redo the crafting interface so that you aren't scrolling a vertical list with over a hundred entries anymore.

You aren't though, you use the index button when crafting to show all recipes in a grid. This is barely an improvement over the list.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Still a hundred times better than Minecraft's system.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Still a hundred times better than Minecraft's system.
Does minecraft still require a mod or an external reference to find recipes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Microcline posted:

Terraria is pretty much 2D Minecraft, it's just the game Minecraft promised it'd be instead of stalling out in beta before slapping a Skyrim dragon on it and calling it done

Everyone else is always hip and with it; leaving me out in the cold and clueless.

What big features did Minecraft chicken out on including?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone else is always hip and with it; leaving me out in the cold and clueless.

What big features did Minecraft chicken out on including?

More than like ten enemies
More than like two bosses
More than like four weapons
More than like three ways to travel
Reasons to go underground, and not neglecting the underground in updates
Proper game art / sprites instead of placeholders
Good movement controls
Responsive combat that feels good
A variety of interesting, quirky, fun items that could be randomly found anytime
So much content that even seasoned players are in continual disbelief about some new item they encounter and how it instantly changes combat/travel/gameplay
Spreading biomes
Useful NPCs
Useful pets / minions
Correctly pulling off a sense of extreme escalation and equipment tiers that meaningfully change the game rather than a treadmill, as someone pointed out
Sloped surfaces
Ability to mine wider than a 1x1 line at once
Fluids that drain correctly
Timed events / weather that matters
A recipe menu
Proper balance (avoided gameplay moments that are excessively punishing, like losing all your items on death)

I play the mobile version of Terraria which is waaay behind (1.2) and it's still so far beyond Minecraft in terms of quality, fit and finish that I could never again look at Minecraft in any way except as a lesson in missed opportunities in the history of gaming.

DoubleNegative posted:

It's been that way for the past several releases. Though I don't have any plans to make the 1.4 thread whenever that comes out. Writing informative OPs is hard, yo!

What I really meant to say was, do we get a new thread title?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What I really meant to say was, do we get a new thread title?

I bet the pbat videos have some more good thread titles we can milk out of 'em.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8PMG42l3M

So much nostalgia. Found that video linked on some forum and got hooked. Watched all of our boy Pbat's videos on Terraria. :filez:ed a leaked copy of the prerelease build as soon as I heard there had been a leak. Bought the game as soon as it was released. Got loving pissed when they nerfed the rocket boots (they used to burn mana, so you could fly for a real long while with them with some mana potions and the right armor set bonus/accessories). Was extremely relieved when they finally added autoclimb of one-block heights.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
a lot of people were real mad at pbat at the time but frankly he was the best marketing terraria could have asked for

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Pbat is like everyone who streams leaked games, His hands were balls of thumbs and his descision making skills were comparable with that of a heavy concussion. But he had a good character, so I watched every video and it convinced me to buy the game (Mainly so I could do a better job and feel good about myself in comparison).

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Fun fact: that time Blue got in a ton of poo poo for viral marketing on 4chan 8 years ago... that was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Was extremely relieved when they finally added autoclimb of one-block heights.
Man, remember when a hammer was an essential tool for making traverseable stuff so you could turn them into slops you COULD climb up? Plus getting crystal hearts? Ah, memories.

Venuz Patrol posted:

a lot of people were real mad at pbat at the time but frankly he was the best marketing terraria could have asked for
I think pbat's problem with the anvil is he didn't realize you needed a hammer, which you didn't start with, in order to remove placed furniture.