Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted a salamander for my girlfriends D&D game. Pretty nice figure, but it's obvious that it's intended for a bigger unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted a salamander for my girlfriends D&D game. Pretty nice figure, but it's obvious that it's intended for a bigger unit.

It's a good model. I used him as a hero in a game of Warlords of Erehwon last week.

Oh hey it's a snow troll from the Land Down Under.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 12, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:byodood: CAN'T YOU HEAR, CAN'T YOU HEAR THE THUNDER? YOU BETTER RUN, YOU BETTER TAKE COVER

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

:byodood: CAN'T YOU HEAR, CAN'T YOU HEAR THE THUNDER? YOU BETTER RUN, YOU BETTER TAKE COVER

True story, I've listened to that song more times in more bars in Bangkok than I ever did in the west, including the time I lived in Perth.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The same place I lose Kings of War at just now announced they're trying to organise an informal Deadzone day for July 6 to see what the player numbers are like in this city, I'm busy in the afternoon but gonna go play up until lunch.

Also, big errata for Warpath today

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Have some Hellboy bosses Mantic thread!

Also, I just picked up a copy of Star Saga for 20 quid off Amazon, which was too cheap not to tbh. I gather the contents is a viable Deadzone squad these days?

quote:

Oath Complete!

Well that's the core set bosses done for Hellboy, including one very happy mad monk.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I ended up with a Dreadball team somehow. It's the shark people. How do I get into the game if I have the one team? I understand I need cards and such, but I'm not super familiar with the game and how those systems work.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Deleter posted:

So I ended up with a Dreadball team somehow. It's the shark people. How do I get into the game if I have the one team? I understand I need cards and such, but I'm not super familiar with the game and how those systems work.

If you're quick, there is a copy of the game on sale for £18 on amazon UK right now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Q99Y67/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uaZfDbGWMR59H

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ugleb posted:

Also, I just picked up a copy of Star Saga for 20 quid off Amazon, which was too cheap not to tbh. I gather the contents is a viable Deadzone squad these days?

The npc minis in the core set were given their own Deadzone list, called Mazon Labs, and the player character minis are Deadzone mercs

The pdf version of the Deadzone 2.0 rules are currently on sale for free, for anyone who wants them https://www.manticdigital.com/product/deadzone-rulebook-enhanced/

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 29, 2019

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ugleb posted:

If you're quick, there is a copy of the game on sale for £18 on amazon UK right now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Q99Y67/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uaZfDbGWMR59H

Do I need the core set?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Deleter posted:

Do I need the core set?

The rules are free here

There's an alternative purchase called the Veteran Bundle which just has the rulebook and the card deck, but it costs more than picking up the base set on sale for that price, plus having two more teams you can get someone else to play you with can't hurt

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 29, 2019

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hm, I might pick it up later. I'm really tight on space at home for games as it is.

Edit: gently caress it, I got it cos my brother wants a go as well.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 29, 2019

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Deleter posted:

Do I need the core set?

What I linked is the core set for a really low price. I see it is now £24 so I guess a bunch of people looked at it?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ugleb posted:

What I linked is the core set for a really low price. I see it is now £24 so I guess a bunch of people looked at it?

I bought it! Hopefully I'll find a way to store it properly.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

The npc minis in the core set were given their own Deadzone list, called Mazon Labs, and the player character minis are Deadzone mercs

The pdf version of the Deadzone 2.0 rules are currently on sale for free, for anyone who wants them https://www.manticdigital.com/product/deadzone-rulebook-enhanced/

Am I right in thinking that the latest rules for Mazon Labs are in the new escalation book and Outbreak is out dated now?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ugleb posted:

Am I right in thinking that the latest rules for Mazon Labs are in the new escalation book and Outbreak is out dated now?

Yes, it works just like Clash of Kings for KoW except without the consistent naming scheme

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Welp, it's real and confirmed now

quote:

KINGS OF WAR THIRD EDITION DUE FOR RELEASE THIS OCTOBER
Mantic Games releasing a new 380-page rulebook for the world’s best mass battle fantasy wargame straight to retail in 2019.

Mantic Games is pleased to announce that this October it will be releasing a brand-new edition for its best-selling mass battle fantasy wargame, Kings of War. Inside the 380-page tome, you’ll find expanded lore for the world of Pannithor, army lists for 14 factions and, of course, revamped and refreshed rules.

The new edition will be available directly via Mantic Games webstore and through all regular gaming and hobby stores around the world. This is the first time Kings of War has not been released via Kickstarter, highlighting the growth and popularity of the game.

Alongside the book will be the brand-new Northern Alliance army, titanic monsters for some existing factions and a commemorative diorama. Plus, Mantic Games has a comprehensive selection of Kings of War releases planned throughout the rest of 2019, into 2020 and beyond, including a supplement with additional army lists – taking the total number to 26.

“2019 marks 10 years since we started Mantic Games and first released the Kings of War elves,” said Mantic Games CEO, Ronnie Renton. “As such, it seemed fitting to celebrate this important milestone with a new edition of the world’s best fantasy wargame.

“Kings of War is the jewel in our crown and we’ve been working tirelessly to make sure this new edition exceeds expectations. For fans it will make their favourite fantasy game even better, with improved rules for army creation, tighter, more competitive gameplay and lots more!”

Over the coming weeks and month Mantic Games will be releasing more information about Kings of War Third Edition so make sure you subscribe to the Mantic Games newsletter or keep checking the blog https://www.manticgames.com

quote:

It’s Ronnie here and I have something very important to talk about. The planets have aligned, the Celestians have spoken… it is time for Kings of War Third Edition.

Since the Clash of Kings book 2019 we have been evaluating whether to maintain what was there for one more year, or go ahead with the Third Edition. Every conversation with the Rules Committee pointed in the direction of a full new version of the game being the preferred route.

What’s more, when we realised that September was the 10-year anniversary of the first Kings of War release, the urge became stronger.

Then we noticed that both the hard back and soft back books were running out of stock (they’re now both completely sold out), and we only had one space left on the UK Clash of Kings trophy. Plus we discussed all the cool armies and miniatures we wanted to make – well, that was it – Third Edition was coming!

There is a press release below that we’re sending out to the masses, and rest assured from what I have seen coming from the RC and Matt Gilbert’s office – you are going to be blown away by what they have planned.

The release does say that this will be the first time KoW hasn’t gone to Kickstarter, instead it’ll be released the old-fashioned way – on the Mantic web store and from your friendly local gaming store. This is possible thanks to the fantastic support we have received from the community over the years, and the growth in popularity of the game.

So, stay tuned for more info as we have it, and make sure you are signed up to the newsletter to keep getting the hot stories directly into your inbox – especially the limited edition… oh, wait what – am I not allowed to mention that yet??? 😉

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Interesting. I wonder how this edition will do without a kickstarter giving people a good deal on new Miniatures. Based on backing one of their kickstarters in the past people probably already have a ton more models than they can really justify anyway so it is probably fine.

Now to see if retailers bite.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I just hope it stays with a streamlined ruleset. The strength of KoW is how easy it is to play and build armies. At 380 pages, it better be mostly lore and not rules because I ain't about that life anymore.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
This thread and mantics presence online see to be dead. Does anyone care about mantic anymore now that age of sigmar unfucked itself? The thread title now seems super smug like some 30 year old bragging about some chick he rooted in high school.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The hype seems to have abated, but I still see way more KoW and WHFB played than AoS.

Unfortunately it's WHFB8. :histdowns:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Big Willy Style posted:

This thread and mantics presence online see to be dead. Does anyone care about mantic anymore now that age of sigmar unfucked itself? The thread title now seems super smug like some 30 year old bragging about some chick he rooted in high school.

The facebook groups are all plenty active

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Big Willy Style posted:

As NT said, there are FB groups for every game they make and they are really popular. They also did very well this year at AdeptiCon in terms of tournament attendance and Mantic Night attendance. I have no doubt its been harder with GW actually trying again, but they seem to be doing fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Went out to the club for a few hours (got to be the first guest signed into the book for the financial year), and got two games of Deadzone in, first time with 2E and first game at all in a few years. Didn't take long to learn the changes, and still remembered enough of the things that didn't change. Played a quick pick Brokkr force against a Steel Warrior force at 150 points and what was looking like a whitewash against me early nearly turned into a win. Second game I was running low on time so I borrowed the other guy's Enforcers for a premade list vs his Steel Warriors again at 100 points and managed to crank out a VP win with 1 model left each.

Game still just as fun, fast, and tactical as I remembered :buddy:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Big Willy Style posted:

I was into Mantic for a while. Really seemed to me like GW was spiraling the drain and on the way out. AoS was the punch line of every joke, and 40k was a gigantic mess. I started seeing KoW stuff in multiple stores. Even after moving several time, I saw KoW product at each LGS. However, it was never really getting played in an organized way. Occasionally you'd see two friends playing it, but none of the stores I frequented had a KoW day or a Deadzone day where a bunch of people came to play it. They all had a 40k day, a WMH day, an Xwing day, etc. Some of them even had 9th age day, but not KoW.

Fast forward a few years, most of the places selling KoW have stopped. The few that still carrying it have them in the clearance section, sitting next to CMON and PP stuff that will never sell. Even though I don't care for it personally, 40k is stronger than ever (still a gigantic mess). AoS has surpassed old fantasy in everything but lore and world-building. I see 40k being played literally all the time now. AoS isn't as popular, but it seems to be growing slowly every month.

Personally, I've no interest in the Mantic product line anymore. Their game design is so vanilla. There is nothing super compelling about it to me, other than it being "clean". That *is* important, I'm sick of needing to have 14 books to play a game. However, you need to pack some fun in there too. This is purely my opinion, but seems like a fair amount of people expect all the fun to come from the social aspects of the game and the minis themselves. It is an excuse to show off their minis and hang out.That's all good and fine to me, but I want a game that's actually fun to play as well.

Only positive I've seen for Mantic in the past couple years is that their sculpt quality has drastically improved. I don't think they're GW level yet, but they used to be quite ugly and many of the newer sculpts are actually quite nice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah in a way Warlords of Erehwon has completely replaced Kings of War at my FLGS. People prefer the lower model count and order dice to igougo. And people have a lot of flexibility in what they can field.

I think Kings of War is the better game, but if no one is playing it it's a moot point.

I'll still pick up third edition though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

So they've completely rewritten AOS to be not a shallow random shitshow of a game?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Thirsty Dog posted:

So they've completely rewritten AOS to be not a shallow random shitshow of a game?

It's been drastically improved. They've also got feeder products in place with Underworlds and the forthcoming Warcry.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

As a Kings of War player, there's a lot to love...

• The game itself is well-balanced and tactical, focused on movement, positioning, and piece trading
  • Easy to learn, hard to master
  • Dedicated and friendly community
  • Strong tournament scene in the US and UK
  • There are clubs in most regions

There's a lot of be frustrated about, too...

• Reliance on Kickstarter weakens potential for organic growth via FLGS - no incentive to stock Mantic products
  • Acceptance of people who just want to play with their old WHFB armies gained them lots of new players, but it's hard to turn that into sustainable revenue
  • KoW relies entirely on the community, which is almost exclusively found on Facebook groups (which has its own pros/cons)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The big issue I had is that all of the supplements kept trying to cram optional Warhammer rules like formations into the game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder if 3rd will keep up the theme of dwarves just being better because it is the owners pet army.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Will be interesting to see if stores are willing to back an edition that isn't going through kickstarter at all. And if Mantic have much in the way of new plastics lined up for launch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh hey I have a game of Kings of War scheduled for the weekend.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh hey I have a game of Kings of War scheduled for the weekend.

Have fun! Take pictures!

(Seriously, though, if you think of it, I'd love to see a decent photo album batrep of Kings of War. They're pretty rare next to all the 40k/AoS stuff that gets posted.)

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Have fun! Take pictures!

(Seriously, though, if you think of it, I'd love to see a decent photo album batrep of Kings of War. They're pretty rare next to all the 40k/AoS stuff that gets posted.)

Here a couple shots of a deadzone game I played a while back. Next time I'll try to get an actual series of shots that shows the game. (All these pics did was point out that I had smeared blue paint on one of my Steel Warriors guns)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I played 2000 points of Kings of War today. Pillage, my Salamanders versus my opponent's Brotherhood. It was a complete blood bath.

That's my deployment. The plan was for the cavalry to hold the left flank against his pegasus knights with the battle captain providing some support (inspiring talisman or whatever) and backup if needed. My center was propped up by a unit of salamander primes and a unit of ceremonial guard supported by a hero with inspiring. Then on the right flank I had a bunch of ghekkotah units and a hero with more salamander primes, a unit of ancients, and a fair number of monsters.

The overall story is that the Brotherhood took minor damage from my limited shooting coming in and then got the first round of charges. My line held (snake eyes came up more than once on nerve rolls) and on the counter charges I made him pay. Without thunderous charge, we were basically evenly matched and I had the numbers. In turn 6, I claimed most of the objectives, and he was basically tabled in turn 7.

Despite me carefully naming the files, imgur just put them in a random order and I don't feel like curating them. Enjoy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've been getting games of Dreadball in with my brother and it's been really fun! I'm slowly painting up the Oceanics as well so they'll get some pitch time soon.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Having Kickstarted it way back when, I also had my first Dreadball games in years this weekend. Second edition does fix a few problems and it remains a very easy to pick up game.

I have no idea how to play it well, though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I should really take Dreadball down to the board games club and try to convert some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Seldom Posts posted:

Here a couple shots of a deadzone game I played a while back. Next time I'll try to get an actual series of shots that shows the game. (All these pics did was point out that I had smeared blue paint on one of my Steel Warriors guns)

Really pretty stuff there. ...Well, pretty for a wrecked industrial hellhole, but good pics.

That is...a lot of terrain, much more than I expected for a KoW game. Looks like you had a good time!