Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
That's what makes him a good representation of dumbass hyper masculinity. All he does is stand around being confused and violent and stupid and is mostly just good for fighting and climbing and growling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

M Condriano posted:

That's what makes him a good representation of dumbass hyper masculinity. All he does is stand around being confused and violent and stupid and is mostly just good for fighting and climbing and growling.

Also dying in some pretty comical ways.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dunking on Duncan the new sitcom from Legendary Entertainment. Directed by Zack Snyder, wiritten by @duneauthor, fillmed in front of a ghola audience.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

M Condriano posted:

It would be more bearable if every other character didn't spend half of their time talking about how cool and how much of a badass Duncan Idaho is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duncan represents the American white man.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

For real though, it's 100% obvious that the BG series will be based on @duneauthor excretions. We have only fragmentary knowledge of Bene Gesserit machinations in half of Frank's prose, while his failson pretends to have written a whole book solely dedicated to them, plus his stuff concerns the events leading up to Dune proper, including Gaius Helen Mohiam's venomous pussy fangs.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 11, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It was probably a trade off for not influencing d u n e

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like when you give Homer his own cake to ruin.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

uber_stoat posted:

Paradox, you know what you have to do...

Nah, Funcom have the rights: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/27/funcom-announce-dune-games/

They just released a Conan game with Petroglyph Games, who are ex-westwood staff so maybe a Dune RTS by a couple of the original creators of the Dune games (I think most have retried/moved to other companies) could happen, if they're not too busy working on the Command & Conquer Remaster which just went into full production this month.

They said 3 games, with an MMO announced as one so expect a mobile game for the other and we can only hope an RTS for the third.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Dune street fighter 2 where you just travel across the universe kicking rear end in a gladiator tournament until you get to the boss of the game its a giant robot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Dune fighting game actually sounds kind of rad. Especially as an old school 2D fighter with elaborate sprites.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Duncan is like an even more absurd Boba Fett — in Dune he’s just a random minor character, his relationship with Paul is all implicit, and he barely does anything worth noting before he bites it. So now here’s ten more books about him and what he did for the next 5000 years. Somewhere between Dune and Messiah, Herbert really changes tack on him. I already noted that there’s a weird factual inconsistency between the two books about the circumstances of his death, but the tonal inconsistency is even more jarring.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

For real though, it's 100% obvious that the BG series will be based on @duneauthor excretions. We have only fragmentary knowledge of Bene Gesserit machinations in half of Frank's prose, while his failson pretends to have written a whole book solely dedicated to them, plus his stuff concerns the events leading up to Dune proper, including Gaius Helen Mohiam's venomous pussy fangs.

Hmm but have you considered how important this is now, in the Era of Trump?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Dune fighting game actually sounds kind of rad. Especially as an old school 2D fighter with elaborate sprites.

Nah, give me Arkham whatever with Crysknives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Conan Exiles but on Arrakis sounds awesome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arrakis would be a pretty boring setting for a game. once the thrill of seeing stuff from the books wears off, it’s all a big desert.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Mad Max but with sandworms basically

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hmm but have you considered how important this is now, in the Era of Trump?

lol if this isn't the primary consideration on your mind at all times

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Explore sietches, murder Harkonnen, water some palm trees

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

skasion posted:

Arrakis would be a pretty boring setting for a game. once the thrill of seeing stuff from the books wears off, it’s all a big desert.

Counterpoint: Shadow of Mordor. I think you could make a pretty good Dune game along similar lines.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

skasion posted:

Not if you make it like Morrowind. 30-40% of the game in towns/cities/sietches.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fast travel to Geidi Prime and it just looks like a bus station bathroom

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Zopotantor posted:

Counterpoint: Shadow of Mordor. I think you could make a pretty good Dune game along similar lines.

Only if you are a sand worm though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
If a Dune game doesn't allow me to spend countless hours aimlessly wandering the deep desert by worm-back I don't even want to know about it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Press L1 and R1 without rhythm so as not to attract a worm

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I want Walk Without Rhythm: Jihad in the arcades around the world.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FINISH HIM!!

*turns on huanui*

The Tribe Wins
DISTILLERY

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Press F to spit respects

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am going to pay for the $5000 founder's pack that lets me become a Sietch warlord, that way everyone will have to work for me like peasants making poo poo jerky and wait where are you going

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
me, pissing on ronald reagan's grave

He. . . . he gives water to the dead

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

God Emeperor: Is angry and confused and stupid the entire time, tries to murder Moneo because he sees two women kissing, climbs a wall.

He climbed the hell out of that wall though

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When he’s pissed that the Fish Speakers are hooking up is he supposed to be in the right, or an outdated old fogey?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

When he’s pissed that the Fish Speakers are hooking up is he supposed to be in the right, or an outdated old fogey?

read as the latter to me :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Behold, complete prana-bindu awareness:

https://i.imgur.com/iPXI0EB.mp4

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Behold, complete prana-bindu awareness:

https://i.imgur.com/iPXI0EB.mp4

The Bene Gesserit witch must leave the thread!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Abomination

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Alia is unironically awesome and a good adaptation of her should be a bigger deal.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phanatic posted:

Behold, complete prana-bindu awareness

rndmnmbr posted:

The Bene Gesserit witch must leave the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I started Heretics and I think it cemented the fact that I hate Duncan Idaho, his character sucks, and he is sapping my enjoyment of the series.

Dune: Does nothing, gets drunk and threatens Jessica, dies offscreen.
Messiah: Is a robot man, tries to kill the main character, awakens and does nothing.
Children: Is sad and confused the entire story, tries to kill himself, gets murdered by Stilgar.
God Emeperor: Is angry and confused and stupid the entire time, tries to murder Moneo because he sees two women kissing, climbs a wall.
Beginning of Heretics: Is confused and also a child.

Read the Red Blue Stripe front-page article about Dune and then the sleeper will awaken.
e: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/harkonnen-florist-bluestripe/1/

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 12, 2019