Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

At least the music for Fallacious Concept of a Just World(Savage) will probably be rocking.

Susumu Hirasawa confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Blessing Of Light and the Echo aren't the same thing right? Didn't you get echo stuff in HW
They are separate. You always have the Echo from 1.0 onwards, even when Midgardsormr does his thing. Hydaelyn's Blessing of Light is, like, a "Sword and Shield of Light". It's like when she enabled you to damage the Ultima Weapon (the combat log notes those flashes in battle as Blessing of Light) and protected you against the Ultima spell. Essentially I read it as you getting empowered further through Hydaelyn's aether.

The Echo is what prevents you from being tempered and able to witness memories that aren't your own and such.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

That's the thing. The MSQ starts with it being clearly established that you're already Hydaelyn's chosen, and, consequently, you behave in the same obsessive way that someone tempered might behave. The WoL is, diegetically, a loving bizarre person who is endlessly heroic, kind, and self-sacrificing in a way that's well beyond what any normal person would ever be able to sustain. It's not that you're just an awfully nice person: it's that you're unknowingly compelled to be a paragon of good.

Counterpoint:

The entire DRK storyline kind of explicitly dismisses this notion.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
seeing all the wow subforum posters in here helps explain the "highest concurrent ffxiv subscriber count" during the usual pre expansion doldrums, don't it

and uh, I hope yall got alternative plans to the storyline when Raubahn (Ultimate) is inevitably unleashed. For me, it's omnicrafting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Minrad posted:

and uh, I hope yall got alternative plans to the storyline when Raubahn (Ultimate) is inevitably unleashed. For me, it's omnicrafting.

At least now we have Mahjong to pass the time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Counterpoint:

The entire DRK storyline kind of explicitly dismisses this notion.

Not at all. Again, if the point of the expansion is to "achieve balance," then why wouldn't DRK - a job explicitly trafficking with the Dark - have a head start on that?

Minrad posted:

seeing all the wow subforum posters in here helps explain the "highest concurrent ffxiv subscriber count" during the usual pre expansion doldrums, don't it

I check back on the state of BfA every so often and man, it's loving dire. They've gone from shooting themselves in the foot to sawing their own leg off.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 11, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

queeb posted:

so whats everyone leveling first to 80? i think im gonna do SMN, get that MSQ dps exp, plus get a free healer with it at 80 sinc ei bet those queues are gonna be instant for a long rear end time.

if there's a raubahn ex then ill do gunbreaker while that gets sorted.

DRG for me, been maining it since sometime around 2.3, I think? After that, all DoH/L because I hate myself. After them, all the DoM, probably the healers first to take advantage of the queues.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh right, I didn't mention it because it should be assumed but I'm absolutely getting the greatest job in the game, FSH, to 80 ASAP

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Vermain posted:

Not at all. Again, if the point of the expansion is to "achieve balance," then why wouldn't DRK - a job explicitly trafficking with the Dark - have a head start on that?

the drk stories have little to do with balancing light and dark and more to do with balancing your desire to do good with your personal wants and needs

if you were a meat puppet there would be no debate

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I still need to decide whether to do SMN or RDM first. SMN is more interesting to play, RDM is more fun.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

I mean in Stormblood I just took that time to get RDM levels 50-60, could do the same with Dancer and/or Gunbreaker here.

Personally I'm hoping--and this may be a vain hope--that SE does something with the Crystal Mean or whatever it's called that makes leveling DoH/DoLs a bit more interesting/involved than just turning in a bunch of leves and collectables. We have precious little info on crafting and gathering; currently it's a bunch of systems layered on top of each other that strike me as clunky compared to how much streamlining combat classes have undergone over the past two expansions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UHD posted:

the drk stories have little to do with balancing light and dark and more to do with balancing your desire to do good with your personal wants and needs

Those two dichotomies are not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts in the world of FFXIV.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Minrad posted:

Yeah it's a real trip jumping back and forth between this thread and the main WoW thread.

I'm gonna main samurai again, because it only looks like I've gotten pure buffs and comically busted nonsense. It's all I could ever dream of.

After that though, probably all gatherers and crafters simultaneously through gc turn ins, maybe actually rush all the gatherers up. Will also start doing a couple of roulettes on gnb and dnc to get both to 70. From there, it's going to depend on armory chest space. If space isn't an issue, I will level gnb, or rdm up mainly for the purposes of farming old primals. If space is an issue then I will have to level monk and drg first to clear out all the old str bits.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

I still need to decide whether to do SMN or RDM first. SMN is more interesting to play, RDM is more fun.

New SMN will probably be very good since you no longer have to worry about dreadwrym aether and keeping up aetherflow for ogcds during bahamut.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Ehh, it's also kind of unsaid that you also went though the entire happenings of 1.0. So you're a little more than a random dude.

This isn't actually the case unless you were a 1.0 player. If you're not, it's just implied that Louisoix's plan to throw 1.0 WoL into the future was a failure. (If you were a 1.0 player, you're remembered at the end of the 2.0 MSQ, instead of just being proclaimed a Warrior of Light.)

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm gonna main samurai again, because it only looks like I've gotten pure buffs and comically busted nonsense. It's all I could ever dream of.

Same. Everything that was good about the class previously, but now with more Midares and TP-less AOE which now applies the selfbuffs too. Sign me up. I wonder if the trust system is available immediately.

Probably paladin too, that class seems further declunkified as well.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Minrad posted:

New Game+, baby. I'm considering taking my MCH through the Heavensward MSQ before leveling it in ShB just to make everything nice and canonical that I was always hurling gigantic drills at people (and also because Heavensward rules).

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I'm thinking that the reason why the First needs the Warrior of Light is because they can permanently kill Sin Eaters. The blessing allows them to absorb the aether instead of it transforming into something else.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Philonius posted:

AOE which now applies the selfbuffs too

Missed this in the press rush. Excellent news

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

queeb posted:

so whats everyone leveling first to 80? i think im gonna do SMN, get that MSQ dps exp, plus get a free healer with it at 80 sinc ei bet those queues are gonna be instant for a long rear end time.

DoL/DoH jobs because I'm not going to miss out on that sweet easy money train this expansion. Story will always be there, but I want all the tradeskill stuff behind me for the next few years and never have to power game it again.

PLD and RDM otherwise altho DRK for flavor seems to be the smart choice this time around.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Givin posted:

DoL/DoH jobs because I'm not going to miss out on that sweet easy money train this expansion. Story will always be there, but I want all the tradeskill stuff behind me for the next few years and never have to power game it again.

PLD and RDM otherwise altho DRK for flavor seems to be the smart choice this time around.

You might need to do some story to get access to the areas where said riches are buried though.

I think I'm doing BRD -> DoH/L -> DNC/MCH.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blockhouse posted:

I think the expansion that has the leader writer who also wrote the dark knight questlines that were explicitly about having free will and choosing to do the right thing even amidst frustration and pain and sorrow is not going to have the plot twist that you never had free will at all

Yeah this.

Anyways on a meta level there's no way such a twist will be straightforward if it's being used as the stinger on a trailer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vermain posted:

I like your take and hope something like it ends up being true, as it'd finally solve one of the bigger gordian knots of the story, in that so much of it focuses on the WoL but they are such a weird personality less blob that any story beats focused on me the player just fail because my character is a nothing burger.

As for first job, it's probably going to be RDM for me. It's remained my favorite job and I just love being a dps who is able to save the group with chain rez. While say the SAM changes look amazing, I love that support dimension and always miss it when I cannot rez. I want to level DNC, because it just looks so satisfying, and GNB, clear winner of the tank reworks, next but I might just do SAM and BLM so my two combat retainers can gain exp. (I am entirely unable to keep a main set in stone.)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

isk posted:

Missed this in the press rush. Excellent news

They don't apply the buffs, just extend them. This of course means the new opener is meikyo > shifu > jinpu > whatever AoE you like and then ends with you running face first into the next group ahead of the tank to keep your buffs up.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

I like your take and hope something like it ends up being true, as it'd finally solve one of the bigger gordian knots of the story, in that so much of it focuses on the WoL but they are such a weird personality less blob that any story beats focused on me the player just fail because my character is a nothing burger.

It'd be nice to get more in-depth and personal with the WoL as a character, and it seems like Shadowbringers is strongly leaning that way. I'm not sure if my take will be what they're aiming for exactly, but they are going to tread along similar thematic lines. They've made it clear that they value thematic consistency across the main side content that they produce, and you simply aren't going to bring in Taro-san to do a NieR: Automata theme park if you aren't also dealing with strong themes of existentialism somewhere in the MSQ.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What if we are tempered by Hydaelen but her version is more subtle than the others? Instead of being forced to worship her actively, there's just a constant pressure in the back of our mind to further the cause of Light? Like a powerful conscience, but for what she considers to be good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Failboattootoot posted:

They don't apply the buffs, just extend them. This of course means the new opener is meikyo > shifu > jinpu > whatever AoE you like and then ends with you running face first into the next group ahead of the tank to keep your buffs up.

drat right. Might even save enough Kenki to backstep/charge to the next pack, really make the tank work for it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

queeb posted:

Ninja since it's been my main and I'll probably keep raiding on it. And I'll break up the MSQ periodically with GNB so I can have both at 80 and ready to go. I feel like I'm going to tank normal dungeons and stuff and save weebery for serious content.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm going PLD first, getting GNB/DNC to 70, then SAM, then whatever to finish up the new storyline stuff (prolly MCH/RDM for ranged, WHM for healer) then GNB and whatever afterwards.

Dr Pepper posted:

Anyways on a meta level there's no way such a twist will be straightforward if it's being used as the stinger on a trailer.
As usual, the context is what's intriguing about the stinger and the only way we're getting that is by playing the game. Theorycrafting is pretty fun with this stuff though.

Also agree that considering who is delivering that stinger there's no way there isn't something 'off' about it. Even if it turns out to be straightforward.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am going to be doing something crazy and not only fantasia'ing over to Hrothgar for ShB im gonna probably level MCH first instead of WAR. it'll be like a whole new game :allears:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kerrzhe posted:

i am going to be doing something crazy and not only fantasia'ing over to Hrothgar for ShB im gonna probably level MCH first instead of WAR. it'll be like a whole new game :allears:

Hrothgar Buds! :hfive:

I'm still kinda undecided on what I'll level first. I'm leaning most towards DNC but that delays my journey into story and new big maps to explore and the traversal before you unlock flight is always the most exciting poo poo to me. I guess we'll see where my heart takes me when we get there.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I'm so hyped for the WAR changes. It's gonna be a real trip until I eventually get sick of throwing out billions of Fell Cleaves constantly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally gonna kill mom.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister No posted:

I'm so hyped for the WAR changes. It's gonna be a real trip until I eventually get sick of throwing out billions of Fell Cleaves constantly.

When's 5.0 dropping? I want to level pld and maybe ast but I'm waiting on class changes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

As for first job, it's probably going to be RDM for me. It's remained my favorite job and I just love being a dps who is able to save the group with chain rez. While say the SAM changes look amazing, I love that support dimension and always miss it when I cannot rez. I want to level DNC, because it just looks so satisfying, and GNB, clear winner of the tank reworks, next but I might just do SAM and BLM so my two combat retainers can gain exp. (I am entirely unable to keep a main set in stone.)

It's not going to, because the reason why the WoL is a mostly blank slate is because they WANT the WoL to be a mostly blank slate that people can project whatever onto. That's the point. It's not some dumb twist, it's just a JRPG thing. :shrug:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UHD posted:

if you were a meat puppet there would be no debate

Just gimme a scenes after beating primal where I'm surrounded by catgirls and beer instead of dumbass nerd scions

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's the point. It's not some dumb twist, it's just a JRPG thing. :shrug:

It's not even a JRPG thing. Western RPGs have had blank slate PCs for as long as western RPGs have existed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Blast of Confetti posted:

When's 5.0 dropping? I want to level pld and maybe ast but I'm waiting on class changes

28th

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

Where have you been? They've been posted and discussed thoroughly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Where have you been? They've been posted and discussed thoroughly

I think they mean "I don't want to start leveling them until the changes go through so I don't have to relearn the class after only three weeks."