Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

frodnonnag posted:

I see they kept bomb arrows and thievery. Was there any mention of new content outside of the custom dungeon builder? I still wonder about the dx dungeon as well.

They didn't confirm anything new outside of Dampe's dungeon builder, but they confirmed/showed the Color Dungeon from DX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Backhand posted:

I dunno. Zelda is pretty strongly implied to have run out of bloodline power and she.... doesn't really have any combat training or physical conditioning to speak of. She is explicitly a giant nerd and has very little else going on for her.

She blew out an army of guardians and held Ganon down for a century, her bloodline power's fine. She just couldn't trigger it until she was desperate. And I for one am entirely up for giant nerd nerding out over Hyrule stuff. Maybe Link's the muscle and she's the puzzle-solving archaeologist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean I do think it’s at least noteworthy that Zelda is framed more prominently than Link in the shots they chose to use for the trailer.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Augus posted:

I mean I do think it’s at least noteworthy that Zelda is framed more prominently than Link in the shots they chose to use for the trailer.

It did worry me though that Zelda seemed to fall, while Link got grabbed by ghost arm.

The last thing I want is trapped Zelda again. Playable Zelda would be a dream come true, but at the very least dont have trapped Zelda again.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Getting trapped is more or less what she's legendary for. If she's not the player character she's going to need saving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meallan posted:

It did worry me though that Zelda seemed to fall, while Link got grabbed by ghost arm.

The last thing I want is trapped Zelda again. Playable Zelda would be a dream come true, but at the very least dont have trapped Zelda again.

Sounds like she's in the dungeons doing poo poo and he's locked in a battle with evil until she returns to finish it

PLEASE NINTENDO

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Backhand posted:

I dunno. Zelda is pretty strongly implied to have run out of bloodline power and she.... doesn't really have any combat training or physical conditioning to speak of. She is explicitly a giant nerd and has very little else going on for her.

What if the first hour of the game is you playing as Zelda just getting totally yoked

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kidcoelacanth posted:

What if the first hour of the game is you playing as Zelda just getting totally yoked

The first hour is me as Zelda jumping from a tower and bouncing off a bokoblin's head in slow motion in order to get launched directly to the final dungeon

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Sounds like she's in the dungeons doing poo poo and he's locked in a battle with evil until she returns to finish it

PLEASE NINTENDO

I would buy like 3 copies just in a show of support.

This would be so neat! And a true challenge of conventions. I can not express adequately how much I want it to happen.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

She blew out an army of guardians and held Ganon down for a century, her bloodline power's fine. She just couldn't trigger it until she was desperate. And I for one am entirely up for giant nerd nerding out over Hyrule stuff. Maybe Link's the muscle and she's the puzzle-solving archaeologist.

I think it would be interesting if Zelda has to be the one who goes outside Hyrule to find help and transverse new cultures.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, playable protagonist Zelda has been my dream ever since Twilight Princess Ocarina of Time, but Nintendo is a boulder wrapped in cement of Old Backwards Japanese Men, so it will never happen. Ever :smith:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Watching the trailer a second and third time I've come to realize that the new Zelda will probably kick out the open overworld in favor of a vast underworld. There are so many shots of tunnels and caverns that hint that we're in for a change of scenery, Ultima Underworld style.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I would would be down for Breath of the Underdeep.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

But that sidequest involves permanently separating her from said orb.

i forgot Link hooks her up with a guardian

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

kidcoelacanth posted:

:dogcited:

RBA Starblade posted:

Finally, the sandbox has purpose again

While you’re looking for that lady, you might as well track down the big horse that’s down that way too. The Bhorse.

Geostomp posted:

Anyone else loving how terrifying the Big G’s resurrection is here? He’s a gnarled corpse held with glowing corpse arm and eerie runes that give hushed whispers before he snaps back to life.

It’s legit, though Ganny’s died on his feet twice. It makes sense if he just got tired of being dead and got back up.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 12, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Anyone else loving how terrifying the Big G’s resurrection is here? He’s a gnarled corpse held with glowing corpse arm and eerie runes that give hushed whispers before he snaps back to life.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

If Ganondorf's body is way down there, wtf was that spiderboy I murdered in the castle?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MokBa posted:

If Ganondorf's body is way down there, wtf was that spiderboy I murdered in the castle?

His soul mixed with Guardian chunks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MokBa posted:

The going theory I've seen people come up with so far is that Ganondorf the person was actually the hero from 10,000 years ago who fought and contained Calamity Ganon at the cost of being corrupted himself, which then got free anyway as seen in the flashbacks of BotW. Now that Calamity Ganon's gone, hosed up naked copse Gannondorf is still around and still corrupted and still needs to be dealt with in order to close the circle completely.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/11/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-is-not-related-to-majoras-mask

quote:

After Nintendo showed the trailer for Breath of the Wild's sequel, eager fans speculated that the tone possibly suggested that it's related to Ocarina of Time's direct sequel -- Majora's Mask, or that the Mask would be in the game itself.

During an interview at the Nintendo booth with IGN, Director and Producer of the Zelda Series, Eiji Aonuma, confirmed that the sequel will not in fact be related to Majora's Mask, despite the darker tone.

"The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it’s not necessarily going to be related to Majora’s mask or inspired by it... What we showed you currently is a little darker," Aonuma said.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MokBa posted:

An amalgamation of Ganon's pure hatred and technology to make some sort of birthed android thing, then Ganon himself was just his hatred in boar form.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
One thing I did notice is that the structure above Ganondorf with the arm coming down looked exactly like the Shiekah Slate things that give you maps/runes, the ones that make the little drip. Which is neat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Time to play the trailer in reverse and desend into madness looking for clues!

https://youtu.be/1UIXAuceNzA

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Meallan posted:

The weird thing is there's also a blink and you'll miss it shot of Zelda letting go of Link's hand while falling... in reverse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I guess is that this is going to be whatever transformed Ganondorf into Calamity Ganon and his malice, and we'll be learning that backstory? And the same thing is going to have gotten into Link instead.

Fingers crossed for Zelda playable.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

The going theory I've seen people come up with so far is that Ganondorf the person was actually the hero from 10,000 years ago who fought and contained Calamity Ganon at the cost of being corrupted himself, which then got free anyway as seen in the flashbacks of BotW. Now that Calamity Ganon's gone, hosed up naked copse Gannondorf is still around and still corrupted and still needs to be dealt with in order to close the circle completely.

They use this image to support that theory

Which is something that always bugged me when I played the game since it clearly looks like Ganondorf and not Link.

At the same time I'm a bit skeptical because the only reason we got BoTW2 is because BoTW did really really really really really hecking well, so it feels a bit weird that they would put this continuity hook in a game they might not have had a sequel planned for.

Or maybe Nintendo was super confident it was going to do really really really really really hecking well

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The hero in the tapestry is Groose. It depicts him stealing the credit for defeating Demise. Obviously.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I better get to use my motorbike to give my girlfriend Zelda a ride around Hyrule in BOTW2!!!!!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe they'll do a DK64 and have link and zelda have different puzzle solving abilities and OH STUFF IT im playing as zelda always

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We'll always have Hyrule Warriors and Smash.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It'd be nice if they put some effort into the world building for this one. While BoTW was a fun retro arcadey throwback, it was also severely lacking in the obscure in-universe location mythology which caused most fans to love the games from ALTTP.

Like, few environmental props have a reason for existing jn BoTW. That gently caress-off giant labyrinth up north, for example, it's just there. It feels like an artist had to fill in some space and got bored, and they leaned on "its supposed to be like Zelda 1!" as the excuse.

Contrast this with Majoras Mask, where every location had some form of backstory (usually woven together with other locations, and the greater story arc). Imagine Majoras Mask where stone tower temple or Ikana Canyon had no explanation whatsoever behind them or their inhabitants, and whether the game would have been even half as memorable or lauded for its narrative strength.

Since they're recycling assets I certainly hope the effort is being spent on writing this time, as it was in MM. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bongo Bill posted:

The hero in the tapestry is Groose. It depicts him stealing the credit for defeating Demise. Obviously.

Groose deserves any credit he gets and you know it. Unsung hero of the series.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Rime posted:

It'd be nice if they put some effort into the world building for this one. While BoTW was a fun retro arcadey throwback, it was also severely lacking in the obscure in-universe location mythology which caused most fans to love the games from ALTTP.

Like, few environmental props have a reason for existing jn BoTW. That gently caress-off giant labyrinth up north, for example, it's just there. It feels like an artist had to fill in some space and got bored, and they leaned on "its supposed to be like Zelda 1!" as the excuse.

Contrast this with Majoras Mask, where every location had some form of backstory (usually woven together with other locations, and the greater story arc). Imagine Majoras Mask where stone tower temple or Ikana Canyon had no explanation whatsoever behind them or their inhabitants, and whether the game would have been even half as memorable or lauded for its narrative strength.

Since they're recycling assets I certainly hope the effort is being spent on writing this time, as it was in MM. :colbert:

I think your opinion is valid but the lack of explanation is one of my favorite things about hyrule in BOTW. Aside from stuff in the photo album encyclopedia I feel like the mystery of landmarks and things you see out and about builds a powerful idea in the players head. Like the first time I found the coliseum my mind went fuckin racing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zelda has had architectural storytelling since 1998, and Breath of the Wild is no exception, though it's subtler than before.

Ever notice how the three dragon springs are recreations of the locations at the back of the temples in Skyward Sword?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I think your opinion is valid but the lack of explanation is one of my favorite things about hyrule in BOTW. Aside from stuff in the photo album encyclopedia I feel like the mystery of landmarks and things you see out and about builds a powerful idea in the players head. Like the first time I found the coliseum my mind went fuckin racing

There's lacking explanation, like the ruins in the desert which are cool and mysterious!

There's subtle hints, like the temple of time on the plateau, which give you mad lore theories from the outset.

There's mazes which fit the world and are atmospheric as gently caress, such as the one surrounding the deku tree.

And then there's lacking explanation or any good reason to even exist, like the massive mega structure labyrinth larger than most towns, which very jarringly remind the player that this is all just a jumble of assets in a program and somebody was lazy.

I enjoyed BoTW but the design was piss weak in places.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
botw was clearly designed for an even, balanced experience traversing the world, with a focus on player freedom. so it works really well that nothing in the world is really very detailed outside of towns because u can just go everywhere and do everything from the start. they spent most of development building a strong zelda engine and then made a big beautiful sandbox for it. i expect this time since the engines already built theyre going to spend the development building a detailed setting custom tailored for it. consider that this first trailer was all cinematics from seemingly only the beginning of the story, and only the last trailer for botw had any cinematics, and it had bits from almost every single one in the game.

i think they held back the story in breath of the wild on purpose and theyre going to lay their cards on the table with this one and go all out. but i dont think zelda will be playable. zelda and ganon both have access to their inherited wisdom and strength, but link didnt unlock any innate power in botw. we’ll be learning about the legacy of the hero this time around and i think itll be more complex than ownership of a sword

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Link the jock in the overworld, slayin' monsters and climbing rocks.

Zelda the nerd in dungeons and shrines, solvin' puzzles.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Something neat they could do (That would almost certainly never happen) would be to copy the A/B scenario formula from Resident Evil 2 where you would pick either Link or Zelda to play as at the start of the game, go through the story from their perspective, then play through the game again from the other character's POV. Cherry on top would be Link and Zelda having different abilities, gameplay styles, and options for puzzle solving, so you'd have to play extensively as both characters to see everything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On the one hand, Breath of the Wild is the game where they intentionally challenged every single tradition of what it means for a game to be in this series, and still came back to a solitary, mute Link as the avatar. They clearly seem to consider that dude more essential than a lot of players do.

On the other hand, since this would be a direct sequel, and not the first one of its kind on the platform, they may not feel bound to revisit the iconic setup of Link liberating Zelda from Ganon, as players will still have access to it. So they could shake things up even further.

But would they go so far as to change who you play as? Nintendo's overall development ethos is based on a sort of gameplay purism, and as such probably agree with the interpretation that the only character who can possibly have true agency in a game's story is the player character. That would naturally lead to a tendency to have all other characters, no matter how well-realized, being written with strictly passive roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Rime posted:

And then there's lacking explanation or any good reason to even exist, like the massive mega structure labyrinth larger than most towns, which very jarringly remind the player that this is all just a jumble of assets in a program and somebody was lazy.

do you recall what loot you receive for solving the 3 labyrinths? did you read the description of those items? can you think of why those items might have been placed in those locations, or who would have put them there? botw has plenty of world building lore, it's just dark souls style where the obvious surface level stuff only covers like 25% of it and you really have to get into finding all of the loot and taking all of the pictures and reading all the descriptions to piece it together. it definitely doesn't just tell you "hey here's a very clear explanation for why there's dragons/labyrinths/dead leviathans/etc. mystery solved"

fwiw i really really really really like that they allowed so much mystery and ambiguity to exist within the game world. having to make up your own conclusions based on the evidence you can uncover and knowing that the answers are out there somewhere, not just being shoved directly down your throat, added another layer of satisfaction to all the exploration you can engage in

plus a lot of times the fan theories that people create are 10000x cooler than whatever official decision comes down the pipe. i'm of the mind that the unified zelda timeline - as an official artifact of the nintendo team - was a mistake to create. or at the very least, i wish they had put the games in a "chronological" order that made no obvious sense and didn't agree with any extant fan theories and then never expounded on it further, because that's the kind of just-vague-enough detail to fuel another million cool ideas